ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama's Nick Saban rejected 2 players who were searching for $1.3 million combined in NIL money: report

I’m glad he did this. Of course the result is no national championship appearance. Got to pay the toll to cross the bridge.maybe NCAA will start to rethink some of this.

NIL has turned into something completely different than I expected it to be. Seemed the idea was to make money off your name and likeness by doing ads, signing autographs, or selling things. But it has completely turned into pay for play. In my opinion the only role schools should play in NIL is to make sure things are done correctly and they are following g the rules…assuming someone put out clear rules and were enforcing them. 🙄 This whole thing is a farce. If we are going to pay for play then just call it that, and put rules in place (tampering, salary cap, punishments for cheating etc..).

NIL has turned into something completely different than I expected it to be. Seemed the idea was to make money off your name and likeness by doing ads, signing autographs, or selling things. But it has completely turned into pay for play. In my opinion the only role schools should play in NIL is to make sure things are done correctly and they are following g the rules…assuming someone put out clear rules and were enforcing them. 🙄 This whole thing is a farce. If we are going to pay for play then just call it that, and put rules in place (tampering, salary cap, punishments for cheating etc..).

That basically is the only role the schools have in it.

Ncaa screwed up by not trying g to be flexible before the lawsuits came flying out. Now they have no power over this. Each state has created different laws governing this now and its all above the table with 3rd parties. It was easy to see where this is/was heading.

Reactions: CJsE
It is exactly what it was intended to be. Legalized cheating for boosters, and a smarmy way for sleazy, hypocritical universities to avoid having to treat their valuable revenue sport athletes like employees to avoid having to do the same for all their worthless non revenue athletes. It was always Pay For Play, with the crucial aspect being that the university’s are NOT the ones doing the Paying.

Yep.

I hope people don’t actually think Alabama signed 7 5* players this past recruiting cycle for 25% off Bed,Bath,&Beyond coupons.
Yep. Saban generates tremendous success as a coach/CEO of that program. As such he is, typically, a reprehensible turd…because nearly every uber successful coach is, because it requires complete, total sleaze. Every school and coach in the D1 business has to be to some extent, including Pitt and Duz, or we wouldn’t have any success at all. But the top programs are exponentially worse. Isn’t it wonderful…

Ncaa screwed up by not trying g to be flexible before the lawsuits came flying out. Now they have no power over this. Each state has created different laws governing this now and its all above the table with 3rd parties. It was easy to see where this is/was heading.
The schools are the NCAA. And the schools want it just like it is. Likely the NCAA officials got rewarded handsomely for not getting in the way of this at all, except of course to make adjustments if anything threatened the designed continued supremacy of the big 2 conferences and programs. If Alabama truly is losing key recruits and it would continue more than a couple fluke times, there would be changes (obstacles) put in place by the toadying NCAA very quickly. Until then, things that the NCAA should be punishing in this, like what USC did to Pitt with Addison, they happily condone instead.

Of course it is pay for play. What was Addison's NIL role?? Was it United Airlines?? Why would United Airlines need Jordan Addison to do advertising??
What is Rodney Gallagher's name or likeness being used??

No major company is going to pay some unknown high schooler hundreds of thousands of dollars, let alone millions, to advertise for them? I can see someone like Zion Williamson, but those guys are few and far between.

It is exactly what it was intended to be. Legalized cheating for boosters, and a smarmy way for sleazy, hypocritical universities to avoid having to treat their valuable revenue sport athletes like employees to avoid having to do the same for all their worthless non revenue athletes. It was always Pay For Play, with the crucial aspect being that the university’s are NOT the ones doing the Paying.

I thought it would be more well hidden as NIL. Like show up a car dealership to sign autographs for 100K. The next week, do a meet and greet at a booster's company for 100K. But they're just straight up giving these guys salaries from the collectives and in return they go on a hospital visit. They're not even pretending to do NIL. Straight-up pay for play. Cant wait for the first lawsuit claiming that being paid by boosters made them employees

Reactions: Dan1911
you know what's weird about this NIL business? No? Well i'll tell you.

My fear or doomsday prediction on this was having Nike schools (for example) being able to tell a recruit that if you come to UNC or Oregon, we'll have your name on the back of hoops jerseys on every rack at every nike outlet store across the country..

i mean, what 5 star basketball player wouldnt sign on the dotted line for that? I dont even think that's happened, not sure if it's even allowed.

i really thought the shoe companies were gonna play a bigger part in this than they are.. instead, you have pay for play and local dealerships and smaller business owners playing a bigger role in this which i didnt see coming..

My fear or doomsday prediction on this was having Nike schools (for example) being able to tell a recruit that if you come to UNC or Oregon, we'll have your name on the back of hoops jerseys on every rack at every nike outlet store across the country..

i mean, what 5 star basketball player wouldnt sign on the dotted line for that? I dont even think that's happened, not sure if it's even allowed.

i really thought the shoe companies were gonna play a bigger part in this than they are.. instead, you have pay for play and local dealerships and smaller business owners playing a bigger role in this which i didnt see coming..

That’s because the execs at Nike don’t have their man cave decked out in Alabama memorabilia, didn’t name their first son “Bear,” and don’t spend all day calling into the Paul Finebaum show.

They are only going to pay so much.

Whereas the local car dealership owner is a fan. And he’s willing to spend like a fan.

I didn't think Nike was going to play a major role in this. They dont care where kids go to college. Its a public company. What I did think and posted on here is that it would be a well-known secret that if you came to XYZ schools, certain boosters would pay you lots and lots of money for autographs. Basically like here's 50K for an autographed helmet worth $250. I also thought boosters would pay far above market value for appearances at places like car dealerships. But you arent seeing this. Booster collectives were formed and nobody's hiding anything. They are doing straight-up pay for play salaries. I certainly didnt anticipate them being so open in doing pay for play.

Maybe the shoe companies are afraid that if they get heavy into the NIL game there will be whole lot of Emoni Bates jerseys on clearance racks across the country. Seems like a better bet to make the investment AFTER the player proves that he's worth it.

Reactions: Ski11585
I thought it would be more well hidden as NIL. Like show up a car dealership to sign autographs for 100K. The next week, do a meet and greet at a booster's company for 100K. But they're just straight up giving these guys salaries from the collectives and in return they go on a hospital visit. They're not even pretending to do NIL. Straight-up pay for play. Cant wait for the first lawsuit claiming that being paid by boosters made them employees
I’d like to see such a suit just for the spectacle, but I think they cleverly have set things up that the schools are safely a level removed.

The next time college students are out in the streets protesting The Man they should realize that the school vocally cheering them on is more The Man than the The Man himself

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT