ADVERTISEMENT

Aliquippa adds new recruit

The problem I have with that situation is that team was being formed in a forest and no one had an issue with it. As soon as a few main characters had issues up in the hills and the team moved to that Catholic school, all of a sudden there was outrage. Why was there no outrage when all the kids were "moving" to the forest up in the hills? Also, there is a nice bruhaha between that place where fords go to bed and that ridge filled with chestnuts.

Reactions: pittdan77
The problem I have with that situation is that team was being formed in a forest and no one had an issue with it. As soon as a few main characters had issues up in the hills and the team moved to that Catholic school, all of a sudden there was outrage. Why was there no outrage when all the kids were "moving" to the forest up in the hills? Also, there is a nice bruhaha between that place where fords go to bed and that ridge filled with chestnuts.
Well done. There are also grumblings in the burg where they used to make clay bricks about the ridge filled with chestnuts snatching an elementary school boy with a transfer. Seems the older sister is still playing softball for them but her little brother wrestles with the nuts. Thankfully, the boys from the northern end of where fords go to bed managed to outdo the nuts at districts but have lost one of their own to that catholic school.

Reactions: Mikefln
Speaking of, where does Forest Hills get its money? I drove past a few years ago because I used to live within walking distance of the high school and I wanted to see what the town was up to. I expected an absolute slum of a school, not a campus that could rival Robert Morris. No way taxes can be that high in that area.

Speaking of, where does Forest Hills get its money? I drove past a few years ago because I used to live within walking distance of the high school and I wanted to see what the town was up to. I expected an absolute slum of a school, not a campus that could rival Robert Morris. No way taxes can be that high in that area.
Are you suggesting Beaverdale and Peters Township lack some similarities?

If you took all the dumpsters in Peters Township and laid them out in a grid plan and gave them each an address/mailbox, it would still be a coin flip as to where I would rather live.

If you put a dumpster on a half acre, it would sell for $200K in Peters just because of the land value. I've never heard of these Beaverdale and Forrest Hills towns (well the one by Pgh I have). Someone did tell me that some AAU coach (Robbie Waller I think) got a HS job at Bishop Something out by Somerset and is getting all his AAU kids to go there. Guys traveling 1-2 hours to school. Is that what this is about?

If you took all the dumpsters in Peters Township and laid them out in a grid plan and gave them each an address/mailbox, it would still be a coin flip as to where I would rather live.
Haha. I know some guys that live down there and I love to give them a hard time. I also have a friend who lives in Beaverdale. I have a beer glass commemorating one of the last years they held "Beaverfest". One of my prized possessions.

Haha. I know some guys that live down there and I love to give them a hard time. I also have a friend who lives in Beaverdale. I have a beer glass commemorating one of the last years they held "Beaverfest". One of my prized possessions.

We didn't live in Beaverdale, but I don't think our town (St. Michael) was any better. I'm testing my memory here, because we moved when I was three, but I believe I recall going to a place called Jo Jo's Pizza in Beaverdale back in the day and being enamored just watching them flip the dough, haha.

If you put a dumpster on a half acre, it would sell for $200K in Peters just because of the land value. I've never heard of these Beaverdale and Forrest Hills towns (well the one by Pgh I have). Someone did tell me that some AAU coach (Robbie Waller I think) got a HS job at Bishop Something out by Somerset and is getting all his AAU kids to go there. Guys traveling 1-2 hours to school. Is that what this is about?

Just had this conversation the other day, actually. My parents are looking to downsize, and there was a really small house in Peters along the Montour Trail. Wasn't for sale, but they said it would be too small and I said they probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. I'd never want to be the overprice cottage among castles, but I guess people want in the school district badly enough.

We didn't live in Beaverdale, but I don't think our town (St. Michael) was any better. I'm testing my memory here, because we moved when I was three, but I believe I recall going to a place called Jo Jo's Pizza in Beaverdale back in the day and being enamored just watching them flip the dough, haha.
Not sure that's still around. "The Ranger" and Bud's Auto are about the only things that are pretty much the same up there.

Not sure that's still around. "The Ranger" and Bud's Auto are about the only things that are pretty much the same up there.

I remember The Ranger, Morris Tavern, Carpenter's, Video Junction, Picola's, etc. Lots of memories from that little shit town. None of them involve anything that would require much money, though, so it astounds me that their high school/sporting complex is as nice as it is. Had to be some sort of grant or donation. Were the Carnegie descendants feeling bad about the whole dam thing?

I remember The Ranger, Morris Tavern, Carpenter's, Video Junction, Picola's, etc. Lots of memories from that little shit town. None of them involve anything that would require much money, though, so it astounds me that their high school/sporting complex is as nice as it is. Had to be some sort of grant or donation. Were the Carnegie descendants feeling bad about the whole dam thing?
I don't really know how that came about. Just know it's a beautiful school and complex.

Just had this conversation the other day, actually. My parents are looking to downsize, and there was a really small house in Peters along the Montour Trail. Wasn't for sale, but they said it would be too small and I said they probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. I'd never want to be the overprice cottage among castles, but I guess people want in the school district badly enough.
It's odd for me to hear people want to move into that school district because it was known as Heroin High in my day

It's odd for me to hear people want to move into that school district because it was known as Heroin High in my day
When I was in HS, I mean you never ever even heard of the word Heroin. Ever. I think there was this gap between the early 70's and the 2000, when Heroin was not a very common thing.

Yea, did a quick zillow search. Cheapest house for sale is 225K. Cheapest non-condo is 350K. This is why I say that standardized test scores are the direct result of demographics and not the quality of the education. In a district, like that there is absolutely 0 low-income housing options. And as much as some people will hate me saying this, the poorer your family is, the lower you are going to score on those tests ON THE AVERAGE. Please dont tell me there are some kids from poor families that turn out to be surgeons. I know. But I said on the average.

Yea, did a quick zillow search. Cheapest house for sale is 225K. Cheapest non-condo is 350K. This is why I say that standardized test scores are the direct result of demographics and not the quality of the education. In a district, like that there is absolutely 0 low-income housing options. And as much as some people will hate me saying this, the poorer your family is, the lower you are going to score on those tests ON THE AVERAGE. Please dont tell me there are some kids from poor families that turn out to be surgeons. I know. But I said on the average.
i think at one time it was like McMurray was the wealthy part of Peters and Venetia was the lower income part, though both had plenty of rural/farm properties too. But yeah, they've just about gentrified the whole district now, not many lower value homes left, but there are some they just maybe not for sale right now. They will eventual get sold/demolished/expensive homes & condos in their place.

i think at one time it was like McMurray was the wealthy part of Peters and Venetia was the lower income part, though both had plenty of rural/farm properties too. But yeah, they've just about gentrified the whole district now, not many lower value homes left, but there are some they just maybe not for sale right now. They will eventual get sold/demolished/expensive homes & condos in their place.

Back in the day McMurray was the wealthy part and Venetia was just farmland. Very few houses. Now those McMurray homes are 30-40 years old and they didnt build them as big back then so those homes arent as valuable as the Venetia homes since they are all new and huge. The Venetia zip code, 15367, is the wealhiest zip code in Western PA. I think it was Recruitsreadtheseboards who said that Venetia is like the crappy section of Peters. I mean, maybe in 1991. Now, its just one million dollar home after another. Also, not sure how you can "gentrify" farmland. Venetia would be similar to Cranberry and Seven Fields. Farmland turned into high income housing.

Back in the day McMurray was the wealthy part and Venetia was just farmland. Very few houses. Now those McMurray homes are 30-40 years old and they didnt build them as big back then so those homes arent as valuable as the Venetia homes since they are all new and huge. The Venetia zip code, 15367, is the wealhiest zip code in Western PA. I think it was Recruitsreadtheseboards who said that Venetia is like the crappy section of Peters. I mean, maybe in 1991. Now, its just one million dollar home after another. Also, not sure how you can "gentrify" farmland. Venetia would be similar to Cranberry and Seven Fields. Farmland turned into high income housing.
Well.....Peters Twp is essentially the Cranberry of the South Hills. It is a border community outside of Allegheny County. So you can build some nicer homes, but you save on taxes.

The Venetia zip code, 15367, is the wealhiest zip code in Western PA. I think it was Recruitsreadtheseboards who said that Venetia is like the crappy section of Peters. I mean, maybe in 1991. Now, its just one million dollar home after another. Also, not sure how you can "gentrify" farmland. Venetia would be similar to Cranberry and Seven Fields. Farmland turned into high income housing.

I don't feel like looking it up but I find it hard to believe that it would be wealthier than Sewickley or Fox Chapel. That's where the real (old) money in this region is. I would think Venetia, or Franklin Park or Cranberry are more "big hat no cattle" types of communities.

I don't feel like looking it up but I find it hard to believe that it would be wealthier than Sewickley or Fox Chapel. That's where the real (old) money in this region is. I would think Venetia, or Franklin Park or Cranberry are more "big hat no cattle" types of communities.

He's confused and doesn't know the difference between income and wealth.

He's confused and doesn't know the difference between income and wealth.

a friend of mine is an electrician and he was doing some wiring in one of those McMansions in the north suburbs and noticed probably half the rooms weren't furnished. He asked the couple if they just moved in and they said no they had been there about 4 years. So by the time you buy the cars, pay the mortgage, custom suits to impress clients, daycare, there is no money left for furniture.

Reactions: Mikefln

#1 in income so its possible there is more wealth in Sewickley and Fox Chapel but those zip codes also contain lower income housing that brings it down. Not "low income" housing, I dont mean but like normal houses. Venetia doesn't have much of that. Mostly very expensive housing without much to drag it down.

#1 in income so its possible there is more wealth in Sewickley and Fox Chapel but those zip codes also contain lower income housing that brings it down. Not "low income" housing, I dont mean but like normal houses. Venetia doesn't have much of that. Mostly very expensive housing without much to drag it down.

true.

Not all of Mt Lebo, but there are neighborhoods in Mt Lebo that have to be among the wealthiest if not the wealthiest.

Yeah, most of that sounds right. To my comment and probably what Recruitsreadtheseboards was referring to: There is/was a part of Venetia near Finleyville (around Venetia Rd) that had some smaller homes fairly near each other. So while most of Venetia was farmland, there was in area that was more like a mini-Beechview nestled among all the rural areas. And I think a lot of these smaller, cheaper homes were still around as the farms were being converted to McMansions. I feel like some of them are still there, I just don't get to that area very often, especially since the epic German restaurant closed in Venetia.

a friend of mine is an electrician and he was doing some wiring in one of those McMansions in the north suburbs and noticed probably half the rooms weren't furnished. He asked the couple if they just moved in and they said no they had been there about 4 years. So by the time you buy the cars, pay the mortgage, custom suits to impress clients, daycare, there is no money left for furniture.
I used to live in Townhouse adjacent to Thornblade Country Club in Greenville, SC. Beautiful place. Jay Haas lives there. I used to run the cart paths at night, and I noticed alot of the houses did not have alot of furniture also.

Yeah, most of that sounds right. To my comment and probably what Recruitsreadtheseboards was referring to: There is/was a part of Venetia near Finleyville (around Venetia Rd) that had some smaller homes fairly near each other. So while most of Venetia was farmland, there was in area that was more like a mini-Beechview nestled among all the rural areas. And I think a lot of these smaller, cheaper homes were still around as the farms were being converted to McMansions. I feel like some of them are still there, I just don't get to that area very often, especially since the epic German restaurant closed in Venetia.
My parents moved to those McMansions up the road 7 years ago. Those houses you speak of are still there. If they go for sale I could easily see them going for $250k just because they land they are on. 20 years ago I look at 6 acres acrosd from the lakes on beabout. It had a old house that needed gutted. Wish I bought that damn property, it would probably be over million dollars today.

My parents moved to those McMansions up the road 7 years ago. Those houses you speak of are still there. If they go for sale I could easily see them going for $250k just because they land they are on. 20 years ago I look at 6 acres acrosd from the lakes on beabout. It had a old house that needed gutted. Wish I bought that damn property, it would probably be over million dollars today.

Yea, there is a few dozen crappy houses in an old coal-mining "patch" which dont look any different than what you'd see in Fayette County but there's not enough of those houses to bring down the median income....and like you said, to buy one now, they are going to be at least $200K so although you may be the poorest person in town, you arent going to be a complete bum living on welfare either. Maybe househould income is 70K-80K. Not great but not enough to bring down the whole zip code median. What hurts median income stats in really poor areas is you have retirees living on just Social Security or welfare recipients making $0 or close to it. That drags the numbers down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT