ADVERTISEMENT

All-Time Narduzzi vs All-Time Wannstedt: Who wins?

Who would win?

• Total voters
Walt's Best

Offense

QB - Palko/Rod/Pete - your choice
RB - Barlow
TE - Wilson
WR - Fitzgerald
WR - Bryant
WR - Grim
OL - Pettiti
OL - McCurley
OL - Spencer
OL - Anderson
OL - McGlynn

Defense

DE - Knight
DT - Young
DT - Gibson
DE - Harriott
LB - Clarke/McKillop
LB - Hayes
LB - Blades
DB - Revis
DB - Spencer
DB - Walker
DB - Poteat

I wouldn’t even give Wanny credit for Palko.

Part of the exercise is assessing each coach’s ability to assemble a roster.

Whatever else you want to say about his QB recruiting, Narduzzi brought in KP.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Just some FYI Stats....

Wannstedt:

* 14 times DW's teams played a team that finished in the top 25, winning 2 times over his 6 years as coach. Both wins were in 2007 - Cincinnati and WVU.

* Keep in mind that DW did not have the support or the money that PN has had since he came to Pitt.

Narduzzi:

* 33 times (24 in his first 6 years) PN's teams played a team that finished in the top 25, winning 9 times.

* 7 of the 9 years that PN's been coach he's beaten at least one team that finished in the top 25

This talk about how tough the Big East was compared to the ACC is nonsense. PN's schedule (including out of conference) is/was much tougher.

The biggest problem in both regimes has been the QB play. The best quarterbacks between both coaches have been Stull, Peterman and Pickett. Fans were very hard on Stull but he was competent (especially in 2009).

Last edited:
Narduzzi has the benefit of coaching in the NIL era (not that it is helping him), but you can bet your arse that Wanny would raise NIL funds and improve his roster. I think Wanny was more likeable from the fan and donor perspective.
Wanny would have gotten his QB from the portal and Pat Bostick would have finished his career at Slippery Rock.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
This is a fun topic.

QB - Narduzzi
RB - Wanny
WR - Narduzzi
TE - Wanny
OL - PUSH
DL - Wanny
LB - Wanny
DBs - Wanny
ST - Narduzzi

Wannstedt has 3 elite talents with Donald, Revis, and McCoy. They are the best three players on either roster. Donald would obviously be very disruptive generating an interior pass rush while Revis could lock down Addison. However, Pickett at his best is a significant edge over Palko and he has two excellent receivers and the combination of Conner/Izzy would a tough 1-2 punch.

Given how the game is played today, I give the edge to Narduzzi's team just because of the offensive firepower at the skill positions. A Heisman finalist and two elite receivers combined with two excellent running backs would be too tough to stop. If this game was played during Wannstedt's time at Pitt, I'd take his team over Narduzzi's because great defenses could control games.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The way the game is refereed would matter. If present day ACC refs Wanny's team could just heave it up to Baldwin down the sideline and get a pass interference call every time. Baldwin's size and athleticism would pose problems for the undersized DBs.

This talk about how tough the Big East was compared to the ACC is nonsense. PN's schedule (including out of conference) is/was much tougher.
PITT SOS since 2000

Big East (AVG 47th)

2000 - 47th
2001 - 53rd
2002 - 47th
2003 - 55th
2004 - 66th
2005 - 55th
2006 - 45th
2007 - 46th
2008 - 25th
2009 - 40th
2010 - 38th
2011 - 48th
2012 - 57th

ACC (AVG 44th)

2013 - 37th
2014 - 64th
2015 - 27th
2016 - 9th
2017 - 28th
2018 - 3rd
2019 - 62nd
2020 - 64th
2021 - 69th
2022 - 61st
2023 - 61st

The numbers show that PITT has slightly played a better schedule since joining the ACC.

The last 5 years, PITT has played a weaker schedule then DW or Walt since 2000. The trend isn't' getting better either.

Given how the game is played today, I give the edge to Narduzzi's team just because of the offensive firepower at the skill positions.
I think quite the opposite. If you're asking Duzz's OL to kick step all day vs Donald, Mick, Sheard, and Romeus - it's going to look ugly. The best thing those 4 did was rush the QB and play on the other side of the LOS.

The speed in Wanny's front 7 is better then Duzz's and to be honest it's not close.

Sheard and Donald are faster then 90% of Duzz's LB's, not DL - LB's. Romeus was a 4.7 guy. Mick was probably a 4.7 guy too..

Session ran 4.5 at the combine.

HB ran well.

The flexibility DW's defense has vs that offense is tremendous because of 2 main factors. Revis can eliminate the best receiver Duzz has with ease. Someone has to double AD all day. Duzz doesn't have a lot of OL who are single blocking Mick, Sheard, or Romeus.

In terms of offense - DW has NFL runners on the bench like Ray Graham, LSH, Rashad Jennings, Hynoski, etc..
This is the reason I voted for Wanny.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT