ADVERTISEMENT

Already stated, but man is the coastal ripe for pitt

ratking17

Head Coach
Mar 15, 2009
We cannot overlook anyone, but this unc game in 2 weeks is shaping up to decide things. Miami will obviously have their say, but there are some really weak teams. As steel has said, some key injuries have obviously depleted some of these potential teams.

North Carolina is much better than Penn State. Better players. Better coaches. And its on the road. Our defense against the Spread worried me.

UNC is very good offensively. That's gonna be a tough one especially after PSU and a road trip to OSU in consecutive weeks.

Reactions: fitzburgh
We cannot overlook anyone, but this unc game in 2 weeks is shaping up to decide things. Miami will obviously have their say, but there are some really weak teams. As steel has said, some key injuries have obviously depleted some of these potential teams.
Pitt -Unc is going to be huge.

I personally am not overlooking Miami or any other team in the Coastal because we've freaking lost to all of them at some point since we joined the ACC, even freaking Syracuse.

Miami looks great so far against FIU and Florida Atlantic at home. But by the time they get to us - they get FSU the week after GT chop blocks them to death - UNC the week after that and then Notre Dame the week before us. Their roster is already a little depleted from injuries and suspensions, so any more of either will be really hard on them.

We have an equally tough schedule with the trips to OSU and Clemson. But with the Thursday night game vs. VT hopefully we get a win at home and a few more days of rest and prep before going down there.

The fact that so many Pitt fans are simply overlooking Miami astounds me.
The first two posts in the thread mention Miami and the fact they will play a big part in deciding the division. Of course they are wrought with injuries and suspensions and we don't play them for 2+ months, as opposed to 2 weeks, so...

Speaking of the 'Canes, what the hell are they doing playing on the road at Appy State?!

I think the Canes are only 3 or 4 point favorites. I could be off on that, but it seems like that is what I saw.

Speaking of the 'Canes, what the hell are they doing playing on the road at Appy State?!

I think the Canes are only 3 or 4 point favorites. I could be off on that, but it seems like that is what I saw.
That is right. App State is decent and Miami isn't great, so the road game makes a big point swing.

I've watched UNC twice this year already. They're very good especially on offense. Their
QB is impressive...they graduated a great one and now this guy. That little scatback/receiver,
Switzer who has killed us the past few years is also back and as good or better than before.
Their receivers look very good, but we might be more physical and talented in the trenches. Personally I think they have more overall talent than we do, and the game is down there.
Also that's three big games in three weeks against three of our toughest foes ( I know, I
didn't include Clemson) but still, three tough ones in three weeks.Despite all that, I like our heart.
If we improve from game two to game three the way we did from one to two, that would be a
major boost.

I dont think anyone knows how the canes are yet. They played 2 scrimmages so far. Much like Louisville. I think Miami is very good, but with all the loses at defense and the way our team is built, I actually like our chances vs Miami, being able to do the same thing we did to PSU. Both Qbs for miami and NC will give us fits, they are very good.

Heck, I dont think Gtech will be a cake walk either. I honestly dont think anyone will be a cakewalk with our passing game. We are not explosive, and I dont think we will blow anyone away for a whole game. Our coaches obviously know how to game plan very well, but once teams adjust then we will need to adapt to something else ... and we dont have something else.

I mean, say we are down 30-21 in the 4th with 5 minutes left. What are we going to do? Jet sweep teams to a victory? Before the season we said we only had one good wide out and hoped to get a few more. Through 2 games... our 'one good wideout', Ford has looked bad. Flat out bad. He is not handling the double teams well. Now, the season is young, and he may turn out to have a very good year, and he better. But I have seen nothing so far from anyone to suggest we have even an average passing attack.

In my view, this is the second consecutive season in which a good UNC team blew their opening game on a neutral field. I still see them as the favorites in the Coastal. They really let that one v. Georgia get away and seem back to their old selves at Illinois. That will be a very difficult game for Pitt to win.

But, on the bright side, it'll be Pitt's fourth consecutive game v. a spread offense. And, regardless of the outcome at Oklahoma State, Pitt will have experience in hostile road environment. So, Pitt should be very, very ready. I'm glad UNC's playing a weak opponent this week. Pitt should have an edge early.

I dont think anyone knows how the canes are yet. They played 2 scrimmages so far. Much like Louisville. I think Miami is very good, but with all the loses at defense and the way our team is built, I actually like our chances vs Miami, being able to do the same thing we did to PSU. Both Qbs for miami and NC will give us fits, they are very good.

Heck, I dont think Gtech will be a cake walk either. I honestly dont think anyone will be a cakewalk with our passing game. We are not explosive, and I dont think we will blow anyone away for a whole game. Our coaches obviously know how to game plan very well, but once teams adjust then we will need to adapt to something else ... and we dont have something else.

I mean, say we are down 30-21 in the 4th with 5 minutes left. What are we going to do? Jet sweep teams to a victory? Before the season we said we only had one good wide out and hoped to get a few more. Through 2 games... our 'one good wideout', Ford has looked bad. Flat out bad. He is not handling the double teams well. Now, the season is young, and he may turn out to have a very good year, and he better. But I have seen nothing so far from anyone to suggest we have even an average passing attack.
Some people said that. Some people said he was average and shouldn't be starting anywhere and for many would be on the bottom of the depth chart. We should have gone very, very hard after Gehrig Dieter and to a lesser extent Amba Etta-Tawo. Might not have gotten either, but even just getting one would have been a big help.

Definitely need WRs to step up, but I'm not sure the talent is on the roster to do so. If it doesn't happen these next two weeks, it probably won't show at all this year.

Reactions: President Stache
I think Ford is talented enough to be a reliable WR. I think Matthews is talented enough for certain but he's young. And, Henderson is most definitely talented enough. Just need more games to gain more experience.

Reactions: President Stache
I think Ford is talented enough to be a reliable WR. I think Matthews is talented enough for certain but he's young. And, Henderson is most definitely talented enough. Just need more games to gain more experience.

That is true... I left out Henderson, he is looking very good.

I know they lack the upside of Weah and Matthews. But, honestly, my ideal set of WR is Ford, Challingsworth and, of course, Henderson. That is, until Matthews and some of the other youngsters are ready to step in. I just trust the experience. And, even though he is experienced, I simply don't trust Weah. He'll have to prove to me. I've seen Ford and Challingsworth make nice catches and catch multiple TDs. I've seen Henderson's dynamic, explosive play. I've seen the measurables of Matthews and heard A LOT about his during camp. Weah... I've seen nearly drop a TD that he catch with his chest and not hands v. Nova. I want to believe he's the real deal now... I just don't see it.

That is true... I left out Henderson, he is looking very good.

-I cant put my finger on who Henderson reminds me of. Maybe some type of hybrid between Deion Branch and LaMichael James. The guy is small but so are the 2 players I just mentioned, both standing at 5'8ish. He's got 4.4 or better speed. I can't recall a single slant route gone his way yet, but its going to come. I also want to see a deep ball get thrown his way off a wheel route. Perfect plays for North Carolina.

I know they lack the upside of Weah and Matthews. But, honestly, my ideal set of WR is Ford, Challingsworth and, of course, Henderson. That is, until Matthews and some of the other youngsters are ready to step in. I just trust the experience. And, even though he is experienced, I simply don't trust Weah. He'll have to prove to me. I've seen Ford and Challingsworth make nice catches and catch multiple TDs. I've seen Henderson's dynamic, explosive play. I've seen the measurables of Matthews and heard A LOT about his during camp. Weah... I've seen nearly drop a TD that he catch with his chest and not hands v. Nova. I want to believe he's the real deal now... I just don't see it.
Yeah, it is clear nothing has changed with him.

Henderson is an explosive athlete, but for him to be impactful as a true WR (non screens and end arounds) he has to have other weapons on the outside around him which command attention.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
In my view, this is the second consecutive season in which a good UNC team blew their opening game on a neutral field. I still see them as the favorites in the Coastal. They really let that one v. Georgia get away and seem back to their old selves at Illinois. That will be a very difficult game for Pitt to win.

But, on the bright side, it'll be Pitt's fourth consecutive game v. a spread offense. And, regardless of the outcome at Oklahoma State, Pitt will have experience in hostile road environment. So, Pitt should be very, very ready. I'm glad UNC's playing a weak opponent this week. Pitt should have an edge early.

I'm not sold on UNC at all. They just aren't very good up front. UGA had almost 500 yards against them going in with an unsettled QB situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT