ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/UVa game by game comparison

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
NET is in Pitt's favor 41 to 55 but lets throw out analytics and use some basic common sense. The teams played each other and played roughly the same schedule. How did they do game by game? Also, forget win margins for this even though that may be in Pitt's favor. Did you win the game or lose the game?

Made a long game by game comparison that somehow got messed up and didnt post in its entirety. So to summarize:

They have the same 11 wins. The same 2 losses. 4 "similar losses." Several "similar wins."

It comes down to this:

Pitt won head to head, and had the significant advantage in NET, BPI, KenPom, and maybe eye test.

UVa has "2 extra wins" that Pitt cannot account for. If you go game by game. UVa beat GT in Charlottesville and BC in DC while you'd have to compare those games to 2 Pitt cupcakes.

UVa won at Clem, at Syr, vs Miami, and Florida in Charlotte, NC while Pitt didnt win these "same games."

Pitt won at Duke and at NC State when UVa could not.

Similar wins: Pitt over Wake in DC. UVa over Texas A&M in Charlottesville.

I'm going to try to re-post the game by game list later. I think its pretty clear that the the #4 NET league cant just get 3 teams especially with the UNC AD as the vice chair. And Pitt HAS TO BE ACC 4 over UVa.

Last edited:
These are the other teams with an ACC winning record in descending order:

Pitt played, UNC twice, Duke twice, UVA away, Wake three times, Clem twice and Syr twice
That is 12 games.

Virginia played UNC home, Duke away, Pitt home, Wake twice, Clem away, Syr home
That is 7 games.

When you count NC St, Pitt is at 14 and Virginia 8.

That is a 6 game difference. (We played 5 away and 1 neutral, they played 3 away and 1 neutral)

Last edited:
These are the other teams with an ACC winning record in descending order:

Pitt played, UNC twice, Duke twice, UVA away, Wake three times, Clem twice and Syr twice
That is 12 games.

Virginia played UNC home, Duke away, Pitt home, Wake twice, Clem away, Syr home
That is 7 games.

When you count NC St, Pitt is at 14 and Virginia 8.

That is a 6 game difference. (We played 5 away and 1 neutral, they played 3 away and 1 neutral)

Their schedule was tougher overall though so I dont think that matters. But our analytics our significantly better.

Their schedule was tougher overall though so I dont think that matters. But our analytics our significantly better.
I get that, but in my mind, it should be about who represents the league.

We are in the top 4 of the league. If the league gets 4 in, we belong as one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT