ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing, PG hires non-nitter as sports editor

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Man, it would be good to get some of the crotchety guys like Gene Collier out of there, I mean he literally hates sports (and to be honest, I can see why)

As for Pitt....the Post Gazette has not been Pitt's biggest enemy....Pitt sports has been its own biggest enemy.

Reactions: Lancer76
Man, it would be good to get some of the crotchety guys like Gene Collier out of there, I mean he literally hates sports (and to be honest, I can see why)

As for Pitt....the Post Gazette has not been Pitt's biggest enemy....Pitt sports has been its own biggest enemy.

true, but they sure don't help. Big investigation into cost overruns building the Pete, crickets on the whole Sandusky affair.

true, but they sure don't help. Big investigation into cost overruns building the Pete, crickets on the whole Sandusky affair.
The cost overruns at the Pete are a direct result of interference from the athletic director. Demanding design changes during construction as he did changes everything. This isn’t some lego set. HVac and everything else had to be re-engineered and redone. DGS and users often add costs but the AD made a bad problem worse.

Remember when national media reported on the Jay Paterno asking for an OSU job story? And the PG editor said it wasn't news?

Yeah. No bias there.

PSU bowl game, or new flavor at the creamery....hey, PSU is local, send a PG reporter to cover that story. Tim Piazza or Jerry Sandusky? Nothing to see here, just run the wire service report on that.

What I don't care for is that PSU only gets positive coverage from them. When their BB team is good (rarely I know) they get articles. When they suck, it's ignored. If you're going to cover PSU in this market, then do it in an even and balanced way, not just the positives. We get a lot of negative coverage from the PPG, which you can argue is deserved, but you have to cover them the same way.

What I don't care for is that PSU only gets positive coverage from them. When their BB team is good (rarely I know) they get articles. When they suck, it's ignored. If you're going to cover PSU in this market, then do it in an even and balanced way, not just the positives. We get a lot of negative coverage from the PPG, which you can argue is deserved, but you have to cover them the same way.
^This^. The fb team started 0-5 for like first in 100 yrs and they ran regurgitated AP newswires for the first 4 weeks.

The PG is going the way of Bill and Patti Burns my eyes

PSU bowl game, or new flavor at the creamery....hey, PSU is local, send a PG reporter to cover that story. Tim Piazza or Jerry Sandusky? Nothing to see here, just run the wire service report on that.
By the way, the new flavor is Teddy Graham Spanier. PG has an exclusive tomorrow, along with the new flavors of Nachos at Heinz Field.

That's fair. But let's face it, when PSU BB is good, it is man bites dog story. When they suck, no one cares, including PSU fans.

Now....on to football and some other stuff like the Piazza hazing and obviously the "troubles"......yes, the PG is incredibly negligent and only seem to be bothered to cover "white outs" and beating Ohio State.

I am sure this hire has the credentials, and glad she is not a Nitter. But I believe the PG had been taking some heat for not having female sports reporters, editors, etc. Basically for being the old boys club that they are. So I'd bet they looked specifically for a female for PR reasons. Even if they did that, still good for her, whatever it takes to break doors down.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT