ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Post-Gazette PSU Beat Reporter

Excerpt from The Daily Collegian (nit student newspaper) article of 7/19/22:

“A federal investigation has commenced following allegations of sexual extortion targeting Penn State athletes in September 2021, according to recently unsealed court documents.

The now-public search warrants revealed that Penn State had obtained various explicit files, including 19 videos from within the Penn State football locker room, seven videos of multiple males engaged in sexual activity with an unknown female, as well as other photos and screenshots.”
Yeah, we’re paranoid and jealous 🙄

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
So it is a piggy bank, but one that is never broken in to.

This definition is not accurate then:
"An endowment enables faculty and students to conduct innovative research, explore new academic fields, apply new technologies, and develop new teaching methods even if funding is not readily available from other sources, including tuition, gifts, or grants."

A donor-restricted endowment fund, by law, is restricted in its use. Can't raid the principal or redirect the funding support (without going to court) or someone is going to jail.

Quasi-endowments work a little differently as they don't have the legally restricted funding purposes. That would be more like if you took your money out of your piggy bank and put it in an IRA to cover your long term security. Pitt has a quasi-endowment which it created primarily to help cover its future pension obligations. So usually, if you raid something like that, you are putting the institution's financial footing in jeopardy.

Reactions: FreeportPanther

“A federal investigation has commenced following allegations of sexual extortion targeting Penn State athletes in September 2021, according to recently unsealed court documents.

The now-public search warrants revealed that Penn State had obtained various explicit files, including 19 videos from within the Penn State football locker room, seven videos of multiple males engaged in sexual activity with an unknown female, as well as other photos and screenshots.”

Well, it was the football locker room where Franklin is the head coach, right? The same dude who oversaw another program where some really bad things happened that he tried to make disappear. I've got to think if this was Pitt and Narduzzi, it would be a bigger story for the PG. Maybe it is and I just haven't been reading the PG enough?

I can't believe this isn't getting more scrutiny and media coverage. Especially with their past, and in today Post Harvey Weinstein world. There is a huge uproar into the 2018 Canadian Jr (U20) hockey team for an incident like this. And trust me, the Canadian Gold Medal Jr team is every bit as revered up there as the Nits are in Central Pa.

Well, it was the football locker room where Franklin is the head coach, right? The same dude who oversaw another program where some really bad things happened that he tried to make disappear. I've got to think if this was Pitt and Narduzzi, it would be a bigger story for the PG. Maybe it is and I just haven't been reading the PG enough?
It’s been totally censored in all Pgh media.

A donor-restricted endowment fund, by law, is restricted in its use. Can't raid the principal or redirect the funding support (without going to court) or someone is going to jail.

Quasi-endowments work a little differently as they don't have the legally restricted funding purposes. That would be more like if you took your money out of your piggy bank and put it in an IRA to cover your long term security. Pitt has a quasi-endowment which it created primarily to help cover its future pension obligations. So usually, if you raid something like that, you are putting the institution's financial footing in jeopardy.
But I thought Miami was doing some of this for NIL money and investment in its football program.

Well, here comes a few million more dollars that should help:
https://triblive.com/news/pennsylva...o-pitt-pa-s-other-state-related-universities/

Me too and going door to door with ticket stubs to collect money wasn't fun neither

I remember they raised the rates the last few months I did it and were charging $1.95 for the week. Before it was $1.50 or $1.75 and most people would let you keep the change. So my tips went from a quarter to a nickel, lol. Although there were several cheapskates that would wait for the .05 change.

Me too and going door to door with ticket stubs to collect money wasn't fun neither
I hated collecting. Hated it. Some known scoundrels and cheapskates. Others were great. And in the winter it would sometimes take me long because both my grandparents were on my route and I would have to have some hot chocolate.

Of course, times back then were different. It rain storms, a cop would always drive me around my delivery route. :)

But I thought Miami was doing some of this for NIL money and investment in its football program.
NIL collectives are (supposedly) independent of the school and run by alumni or boosters. They pool donations to fund NIL deals. But the gifts are not made to the school, not part of the endowment and may not even be tax deductible.

That is different than donations to the Panther Club or their Championship Funds, which are considered gifts to the University. As such, they can be added to the endowment and used to fund facilities, scholarships etc, depending on the donor intent. But those funds aren’t used for NIL.

The PG is a complete joke. If the same thing happened at Pitt that happened at Ped State, then they’d have a 7-day in depth expose into the program. The local media is filled with a bunch of hypocritical hacks.

5dc1f9fa695b5870a409ed90

NIL collectives are (supposedly) independent of the school and run by alumni or boosters. They pool donations to fund NIL deals. But the gifts are not made to the school, not part of the endowment and may not even be tax deductible.

That is different than donations to the Panther Club or their Championship Funds, which are considered gifts to the University. As such, they can be added to the endowment and used to fund facilities, scholarships etc, depending on the donor intent. But those funds aren’t used for NIL.
When endowment money is ever funneled to NIL funding, you'll know the end of civilization is imminent.

The PG is a complete joke. If the same thing happened at Pitt that happened at Ped State, then they’d have a 7-day in depth expose into the program. The local media is filled with a bunch of hypocritical hacks.
There is no doubt you’re right. The question, as always, is: WHY????

Like many things, there is likely a combination of reasons. Personal bias? Pressure from superiors? Who knows what else? But there is a stark and obvious contrast. So it’s not random or a coincidence. It’s intentional and agenda-driven.

There is no doubt you’re right. The question, as always, is: WHY????

Like many things, there is likely a combination of reasons. Personal bias? Pressure from superiors? Who knows what else? But there is a stark and obvious contrast. So it’s not random or a coincidence. It’s intentional and agenda-driven.
The cult(ure). They are large in number, and maniacally convinced of their superiority. And they push that weight around fiercely. All of us have come across that with PSU affiliates (I say “affiliates” because often their most zealous, dangerous fans are not even their alumni…the most infamous local examples would be the Rooneys, and Bob Smizik).

What’s particularly sick is that most of them really don’t even deny the Sandusky thing, not seriously anyway…they know they can’t. They just think that it was perfectly fine for PSU football heroes to act in those ways. They are gods. How dare anyone even suggest it was wrong? This is the predominant attitude they have to this day. It’s one thing to hold such delusions but another to have the numbers and willingness to hoard it over others in widespread manner, which they can and do. The local censorship of the latest scandal just proves it, yet again. Pittsburgh is a factory town, and PSU and the Steelers are the oligarchs.

When endowment money is ever funneled to NIL funding, you'll know the end of civilization is imminent.
But it is funny right, because it kind of is. Not directly. But take a school like Alabama. You can total Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Georgia's endowment numbers and come up with Pitt's. Pitt is a smaller, was semi private school than those 4 state schools. People don't donate and leave gifts to those universities like they do at Pitt and many others. They do it to football, to athletics, to a stadium, new training facilities, coaching salaries, hell Nick Saban has a mortgage, he shouldn't have a mortgage, we will pay for that too. So in that respect, they are taking potential endowment money away and spending it elsewhere.

I don't ever recall them announcing a college beat writer on the front page lol.
The majority of PG subscribers must be staters right? Why else would a paper that's been around for 100 yrs be so far up one school's butt?

I don't ever recall them announcing a college beat writer on the front page lol.
The majority of PG subscribers must be staters right? Why else would a paper that's been around for 100 yrs be so far up one school's butt?

that was just very odd, what purpose did it serve? As I posted earlier Zeise mentioned they cut back coverage since Franklin had things locked down so much.

But it is funny right, because it kind of is. Not directly. But take a school like Alabama. You can total Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Georgia's endowment numbers and come up with Pitt's. Pitt is a smaller, was semi private school than those 4 state schools. People don't donate and leave gifts to those universities like they do at Pitt and many others. They do it to football, to athletics, to a stadium, new training facilities, coaching salaries, hell Nick Saban has a mortgage, he shouldn't have a mortgage, we will pay for that too. So in that respect, they are taking potential endowment money away and spending it elsewhere.
Well, that's the point. Huge difference between "kind of" and Potential $$.
The redneck and big farm country school's fans value football above all else.
Seems like PItt alums value research and advancing knowledge more than advancing a football!

Donations aren't added to any endowment unless they are specifically directed to an endowed fund. Most gifts to the PantherClub are direct annual support to athletics. Athletic department is still not covering its annual expenses through gate receipts, conference and media revenues, and donations.

The budget for the 2022 FY was anticipated a $11.9 million shortfall for athletics.

Last edited:
Donations aren't added to any endowment unless they are specifically directed to an endowed fund. Most gifts to the PantherClub are direct annual support to athletics. Athletic department is still not covering its annual expenses through gate receipts, conference and media revenues, and donations.
Thanks for the clarification. My point was that while an endowment can include support for the athletic department, NIL payments to athletes are done from separate booster organizations.

The budget for the 2022 FY was anticipated a $11.9 million shortfall for athletics.
That changes after tomorrow night.

i miss the sunday paper, truly do. not to long ago, around 09-10, i lived in lebo and sunday morning id walk down to the gas station with my daughter (who was just walking at the time) and get a sunday paper and a coffee, bring it back and read it on my side porch.

Around this time of the year, the pitt football articles would start popping up more and more and i'd look forward to it big time..

As a former paper boy of the pittsburgh press circa 1985-86, freakin hated delivering those damn things though.
Yep . Sundays I dreaded (Pittsburgh Press) . Collecting for them to was a huge pain .

Maybe the new nit “beat writer” can start out his new gig by following up on this story?

Wonder if he didn‘t like the football locker room high jinks? 🤔

I think every PSU beat writer for the PG has been a PSU alum, at least in recent memory. It's like it's a requirement.

The Pitt beat writers have been from PSU, Notre Dame, Syracuse...maybe even a WVU in there somewhere. Possibly fair enough since Pitt doesn't have any recent journalism grads, so they have to get writers somewhere. And I think the current PG Pitt beat writer does fine enough.

But, I'd love to see them hire a PSU beat writer from Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc. You know someone that won't just carry water for PSU.

I think every PSU beat writer for the PG has been a PSU alum, at least in recent memory. It's like it's a requirement.

The Pitt beat writers have been from PSU, Notre Dame, Syracuse...maybe even a WVU in there somewhere. Possibly fair enough since Pitt doesn't have any recent journalism grads, so they have to get writers somewhere. And I think the current PG Pitt beat writer does fine enough.

But, I'd love to see them hire a PSU beat writer from Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc. You know someone that won't just carry water for PSU.
We do not have a journalism program aka a degree in talking

Always thought journalists weren’t supposed to be (or at least at all openly act like) fans of the team(s) they cover… but I guess it’s a bit different in this case.

Was done with the PG when one of their editors penned an editorial about how much Pitt sucked in comparison to PSU. There weren't even any solid points if I remember...just clearly from the perspective of a fan.

This is all why I wasn’t all thrilled of the Steelers selection of Pickett. Unless he starts immediately, exceeds BR rookie year (heck, forget that, he has to exceed Brady); and goes 20-0, he’s going to face mass criticism here.

But since the team inexplicably has three starters in the QB room, with the other two just signed to starter money; with the OL still very dubious; with meh receivers and an overrated running back; and a questionable defense as well, that idyllic scenario certainly won’t happen.

So, as a Pitt-first Steelers fan I’m bracing myself for what is almost surely coming. Kenny, I’m rooting hard for you to be great right away…not just for my own enjoyment, but because if/when you show even the most minute flaw, you are gonna be excoriated here.

This is all why I wasn’t all thrilled of the Steelers selection of Pickett. Unless he starts immediately, exceeds BR rookie year (heck, forget that, he has to exceed Brady); and goes 20-0, he’s going to face mass criticism here.

But since the team inexplicably has three starters in the QB room, with the other two just signed to starter money; with the OL still very dubious; with meh receivers and an overrated running back; and a questionable defense as well, that idyllic scenario certainly won’t happen.

So, as a Pitt-first Steelers fan I’m bracing myself for what is almost surely coming. Kenny, I’m rooting hard for you to be great right away…not just for my own enjoyment, but because if/when you show even the most minute flaw, you are gonna be excoriated here.
If he had gone elsewhere and struggled they would still destroy him and compare him to the great trace mcsorley

If he had gone elsewhere and struggled they would still destroy him and compare him to the great trace mcsorley
That would warrant the occasional mock, but mostly they would just cancel his existence, as they’ve done with James Conner. But similar to how they scapegoated JC daily here in his last season for all of the Steelers garbage offense problems, it’ll be far worse here for KP.

We are already seeing this with this guy.

FO94VqtWYAg8eFF

Reactions: ratking17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT