ADVERTISEMENT

Americans in England’s game

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Sitting here watching Jesse Marsh manage his first match in the Premier League. I am pulling for him, but he’s walked into a nearly impossible situation. Leeds United has been in such horrible form and I can’t see how he is going to keep them from being relegated.

it has me wondering how the Leeds supporters feel about him. Brits don’t respect Americans when it comes to football. I hate to generalize it, as maybe it’s not most Brits who disrespect Americans in their sport, but the sentiment is certainly there.

I see it with Pulisic among some fans. I saw it when Chelsea were considering Dest. Fans were saying “we don’t need another American”. But these idiots don’t even realize that Dest never played in America, right? But this is their bias.

now I see it with Abromavich selling Chelsea. A couple american suitors have surfaced and people are saying “please no American owner”. My response to that is “Liverpool” and their response to me is “Klopp is the reason”. So American ownership don’t get the credit for hiring him and providing the infrastructure? Lol.

Leeds signed that Brazilian and trying to get it together, and just can’t pull themselves out. The loss to Tottenham was a beat down. And they just can’t catch a break. They looked better against Man U.

I see it with Pulisic among some fans. I saw it when Chelsea were considering Dest. Fans were saying “we don’t need another American”. But these idiots don’t even realize that Dest never played in America, right? But this is their bias.

Given how much money they paid for Kai Havertz and Timo Werner and the quality of play that they've gotten from those two you'd think that Chelsea fans would be saying that they don't need any more Germans!

Given how much money they paid for Kai Havertz and Timo Werner and the quality of play that they've gotten from those two you'd think that Chelsea fans would be saying that they don't need any more Germans!
It’s true about those two. I see more criticism of Mason Mount than I do those two. It is weird.

I’ll add this too. It just seems to me that whoever gets a run of games under Tuchel eventually rounds into form. I don’t think it’s easy to manage a roster like this when you have 7 or so class players vying for 3 attacking positions. Right now Pulisic and Havertz had been the two in the starting lineup and they are in top form. Before that it was Ziyech but now he’s hurt. And before that it was Werner. When you get hurt or have an unproductive game, your spot gets taken and it might be a while before you get it back. That’s been the issue with Pulisic but now you can see the Manager trusts him and he’s starting all the games.

btw, here is a summary of CP’s match today. I don’t always see this type of praise for him.

“Christian Pulisic - 9 (out of 10)

His full flow was often curtailed by being scythed down more often than not, with minimal sympathy from the officials. He wasn't really given a moment's peace nor an inch of space, so he did amazingly well to fashion some to deliver a picture perfect cross on a postage stamp for Havertz to nod home the second. The most proactive and hard-working member of the attacking unit and deserves full credit for it, just as he deserves his goal for which he was full value”

It's like American fans, thinking anyone in Europe is automatically better than anyone in MLS, complaining for example, "Why isn't Pepi in the lineup today, he plays in Europe", like at a time when he's played 99% of his career in MLS, and like 2-3 games in Germany or wherever.

Well our Junkyard Dawg is done for 8-12 weeks. No more Juve and no qualies this month. Broken bone in his foot.

This is a massive loss for the U.S. Yeah Ty Adams is a strong holding/defensive midfielder but boy has McKennie been in tremendous form the past few months.

Well our Junkyard Dawg is done for 8-12 weeks. No more Juve and no qualies this month. Broken bone in his foot.

This is a massive loss for the U.S. Yeah Ty Adams is a strong holding/defensive midfielder but boy has McKennie been in tremendous form the past few months.
Dude has been fire since Berhalter sent him back to Italy. It’s a shame that he had to be selfish because that lineup vs Panama was jack without him and with the selections Berhalter made. If we had won that match, we wouldn’t be too worried going into the final window.

Adams plays a different position. They dont have an obvious replacement for McKennie. I have said I'd put Pulisic there and go with Aaronson/Weah/Reyna on the wings

Adams plays a different position. They dont have an obvious replacement for McKennie. I have said I'd put Pulisic there and go with Aaronson/Weah/Reyna on the wings
I know Adam’s plays a different position. I was referring to the overall midfield unit now being a question mark.

Dude has been fire since Berhalter sent him back to Italy. It’s a shame that he had to be selfish because that lineup vs Panama was jack without him and with the selections Berhalter made. If we had won that match, we wouldn’t be too worried going into the final window.
Derphalter is a moron. If they fail to qualify and this numb nuts isn’t sacked, i may stop watching and supporting

As has been pointed out to you before, there is literally no one who thinks that.
You are nobody, nothing , not any kind of authority figure even remotely capable in any way of ''pointing anything out'' to me, Plenty of people think that, I'm not talking only about you, or this message board, I've had this conversation with MANY MANY MANY others outside of this forum with that attitude. So save your condescending BS.

You are nobody, nothing , not any kind of authority figure even remotely capable in any way of ''pointing anything out'' to me, Plenty of people think that, I'm not talking only about you, or this message board, I've had this conversation with MANY MANY MANY others outside of this forum with that attitude. So save your condescending BS.

OK, let me put it this way. Anyone who actually thinks that has to be much dumber than even you. And someone that dumb probably can't function well enough to get on the internet.

As was pointed out to you before, there are more than 100 Americans playing soccer in Europe. Nobody, and I do mean that literally, nobody, thinks that Henry Wingo, a defender from Seattle who plays for Ferencvaros in Hungary, is better than Walker Zimmerman because Wingo plays in Europe and Zimmerman plays in the US. Or that Charlie Kelman, who plays forward for Gillingham in League One in England is better than hell, Gyasi Zardes, simply because Kelman plays in Europe and Zardes plays in the US.

In short, if you actually know anyone who really thinks that you ought to stay far away from them, because they would be so damned stupid that they'd surely be a danger to themselves and others.

Is anyone checking on FK? I hope he's ok. Word is the Jets owner may buy Chelsea. That would be funny AF
I don't know if it's real, I saw a post on social media that said Connor McGregor, the MMA fighter wants to buy Chelsea, I found that odd, I didn't think you would get that rich being an MMA fighter, so I kind of thought it was BS, but I didn't follow up on it, because I don't care who buys Chelsea.

Is anyone checking on FK? I hope he's ok. Word is the Jets owner may buy Chelsea. That would be funny AF
Ain’t happening. Roman will take less for an owner capable of keeping the status quo…meaning they have to be able to keep Chelsea they way they are and not turn them into Spurs. It’s funny but the fanbase gets excited that a Saudi guy worth billions wants to buy them. The problem is, unless it’s the country of Saudi, they’ll never compete with City or PSG with spending.

the Jets owner is worth 500 million. Roman was worth 13 billion.

I don't know if it's real, I saw a post on social media that said Connor McGregor, the MMA fighter wants to buy Chelsea, I found that odd, I didn't think you would get that rich being an MMA fighter, so I kind of thought it was BS, but I didn't follow up on it, because I don't care who buys Chelsea.
He has to put a group together. It’s not like buying the Steelers. We are talking billions here. He needs more money. But he does want to buy a team. It just won’t be Chelsea.

By who? You? There's no reason to accept any of the dumb sht you say. Clearly, you are ZERO, NOTHING, NOBODY that needs to be listened to,
No one who knows anything about soccer thinks that playing in Europe automatically qualifies anyone for the USMNT. Matt Miazga has been at Chelsea for what seems like a decade, and no one considers him ever. His name doesn’t even come up. Ricardo Pepi is in Germany but is not in good form so I don’t think anyone pines for him in the next window, unless the alternative is Zardes. Pifok is in good form, and Sargent of all people are too. And no one in MLS is in good form right now because their season just started. So I’ll say that I’d take a euro player right now, simply because of form though.

No one who knows anything about soccer thinks that playing in Europe automatically qualifies anyone for the USMNT. Matt Miazga has been at Chelsea for what seems like a decade, and no one considers him ever. His name doesn’t even come up. Ricardo Pepi is in Germany but is not in good form so I don’t think anyone pines for him in the next window, unless the alternative is Zardes. Pifok is in good form, and Sargent of all people are too. And no one in MLS is in good form right now because their season just started. So I’ll say that I’d take a euro player right now, simply because of form though.
I didn't mention any specific knowledge level, but yeah, I am talking about significant numbers of fans, for example on USMNT Facebook pages, the assumption is anyone in Europe is better, and even if someone signs with Europe and isn't there yet, or just started last week, they must be better, it's not across the board, but there is a general sentiment like that. You can't deny it exists.

I didn't mention any specific knowledge level, but yeah, I am talking about significant numbers of fans, for example on USMNT Facebook pages, the assumption is anyone in Europe is better, and even if someone signs with Europe and isn't there yet, or just started last week, they must be better, it's not across the board, but there is a general sentiment like that. You can't deny it exists.
I think that certainly is the case if the player is playing in one of the perennial clubs in the top 6 leagues of Europe, and it’s likely accurate to think that way. Then there’s guys who play for clubs like Young Boys. No one thinks Pefok should be playing for the US simply because he plays there. But now that he’s in great form and is an integral part of that team, then yes. But no one thinks a guy like Matthew Hoppe should be rostered simply because he’s at some club in Spain no one has heard of. There’s a lot of US players in Europe right now who no one is talking about because they are all sitting the bench at their clubs.

and I think a majority of fans would rather Zimmerman over Brooks right now, and Brooks is a guy at a decent club in a top league.

I think that certainly is the case if the player is playing in one of the perennial clubs in the top 6 leagues of Europe, and it’s likely accurate to think that way. Then there’s guys who play for clubs like Young Boys. No one thinks Pefok should be playing for the US simply because he plays there. But now that he’s in great form and is an integral part of that team, then yes. But no one thinks a guy like Matthew Hoppe should be rostered simply because he’s at some club in Spain no one has heard of. There’s a lot of US players in Europe right now who no one is talking about because they are all sitting the bench at their clubs.

and I think a majority of fans would rather Zimmerman over Brooks right now, and Brooks is a guy at a decent club in a top league.
Some people do just assume ANYONE from Europe is better,

You saying that you don't THINK anyone does

IS THE SAME as me saying I THINK many people do

Zardes, is a prime example, you call him out as someone you don't want to see, I assume because he's an older MLS guy, yet often enough someone like Hoppe or Sargent goes off and Zardes comes on and outperforms what they where doing.

Some people do just assume ANYONE from Europe is better,

You saying that you don't THINK anyone does

IS THE SAME as me saying I THINK many people do

Zardes, is a prime example, you call him out as someone you don't want to see, I assume because he's an older MLS guy, yet often enough someone like Hoppe or Sargent goes off and Zardes comes on and outperforms what they where doing.
Like I said, if people think that, they’re stupid and don’t understand soccer.

and no I bash Sargent left and right on this board. But he’s actually 2nd on his team in scoring in the EPL, so right now I’d take him over Zardes. That’s an educated opinion based on Sargents current form, and Zardes never having any.

Like I said, if people think that, they’re stupid and don’t understand soccer.

and no I bash Sargent left and right on this board. But he’s actually 2nd on his team in scoring in the EPL, so right now I’d take him over Zardes. That’s an educated opinion based on Sargents current form, and Zardes never having any.
I never watch Sargent play at all in England, basically from what I've seen with USAMNT I always preferred Zardes over him, because in most games I've seen, Zardes accomplished more, regardless of his form, but hopefully Sargent has gotten better.

My thing is I am usually moved by a result, more than potential, in soccer a lot of fans are critical of HOW a player plays, rather than if it results in a score or not, so often on those discussion boards people complain about the game they just WON not being beautiful enough, or "we can't beat Spain or England playing like that", when my mindset is "WE WON and worry about Spain or England the day we play them".

Sheeeeeeeit, now Matt Turner is probably out for the last 3 qualified with a foot/ankle injury. Add to that, Zach Steffen has been sidelined at City with his back problems this is a legitimate concern.

I can already see the Derphalter and Derphalter apologist lining up his excuses if he fails to qualify this squad.

Sheeeeeeeit, now Matt Turner is probably out for the last 3 qualified with a foot/ankle injury. Add to that, Zach Steffen has been sidelined at City with his back problems this is a legitimate concern.

I can already see the Derphalter and Derphalter apologist lining up his excuses if he fails to qualify this squad.
What about the guy who beat Mexico stopping the PK in the Nations League, I think he actually plays for an English D2 team, can't remember his name?

What about the guy who beat Mexico stopping the PK in the Nations League, I think he actually plays for an English D2 team, can't remember his name?
Ethan Horvath. Made a move to Nottingham Forest but hasn't sniffed the field except a few non league games.

Reactions: Pitt79
Ethan Horvath. Made a move to Nottingham Forest but hasn't sniffed the field except a few non league games.
He won yesterday to move forest into the quarterfinal of the FA Cup. Next on the agenda on 3/20 is Liverpool. That should be fun

Reactions: Pitt79
Oh well, I've seen people comment on MLS and USMNT discussion pages on Facebook, that "practicing" in England is better preparation than playing full MLS games, so he should be good :)

Oh well, I've seen people comment on MLS and USMNT discussion pages on Facebook, that "practicing" in England is better preparation than playing full MLS games, so he should be good :)
I am wondering if it’s made a difference with Sargent. We really will see. I think he will be in the squad next month.

I am wondering if it’s made a difference with Sargent. We really will see. I think he will be in the squad next month.
But you said he was 2nd leading scorer on his EPL team didn't you? Sure, I'll give it up to him for that, he's succeeding in the best league, hope it translates to USMNT. My observations of him on USMNT where, he always seemed like he would create a chance, then not finish. That's what I always thought about Paul Arriola, because I watched him a lot playing for DC, he'd make a fabulous move to get in position to score and mess up the final touch.

Actually I was referencing discussions that I actually saw, about how Zach Steffen was had better preparation just practicing at MC and not playing in actual games, than Turner had being a full time starter at NE. Personally I can't buy that, practice is not a game.

But you said he was 2nd leading scorer on his EPL team didn't you? Sure, I'll give it up to him for that, he's succeeding in
Yeah but it’s Norwich, the worst team in the EPL. So that’s like being king of the dipshits because they don’t score much. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT