ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone notice 5 star Meleek Thomas got a crystal ball to Pitt on rivals

The writer is a Pitt grad and only puts in imminent CB's assuming he doesn't change them which of course you can't see for some reason.

So 2 possibilities
1) He's reclassing and committing in the next week
2) He's wishcasting and changes CB's often
Looking at his history he has 3 that arent considered correct trentyn flowers to louisville(decommitted for proball) liam mcneely to indiana (decommitted about a month ago) and dedan thomas to unlv (decommitted and went to houston). Dedan is the only one marked wrong cause he went to another school

The writer is a Pitt grad and only puts in imminent CB's assuming he doesn't change them which of course you can't see for some reason.

So 2 possibilities
He is also a Georgia grad. I mean, maybe he has a relationship with Cummings and Lowe/Bub and feels he can get to nba with Capel. Is an extra 100-200k a dealbreaker for an 18 year old.

Looking at his history he has 3 that arent considered correct trentyn flowers to louisville(decommitted for proball) liam mcneely to indiana (decommitted about a month ago) and dedan thomas to unlv (decommitted and went to houston). Dedan is the only one marked wrong cause he went to another school

Everyone knew Mcneeley was going to decommit from Indiana a mile away, so I wont fault him for that.

He is also a Georgia grad. I mean, maybe he has a relationship with Cummings and Lowe/Bub and feels he can get to nba with Capel. Is an extra 100-200k a dealbreaker for an 18 year old.
From what I have been told, he wants the most money he can possibly get. But things can change. I have a hard time believing we have enough money for Bub, Lowe, Thomas and Leggett.

Reactions: rockypanther
I saw something that said he is going to Overtime Elite, which would make some sense I guess but dont those guys make 100K-200K? You'd think he could make more than that in college next year but could fear that playing in the NCAA could hurt his draft stock. Can he do OTE as a post-grad and then go pro?

What would be better for one season:

Lowe-Leggett-Bub, or

Lowe-Thomas-Bub?

Bub is probably gone but if I had to choose:

1. Bub
2. Lowe
3. Thomas
4. Leggett

Freshman Thomas would only be slightly better than Senior Leggett. And this is the problem UK faces every year. They need more guys like Leggett and less guys like Thomas.

1. Bub
2. Lowe
3. Thomas
4. Leggett

Freshman Thomas would only be slightly better than Senior Leggett. And this is the problem UK faces every year. They need more guys like Leggett and less guys like Thomas.
How do you know if Kentucky loses all their guards they don't pay for both of them and have Senior Leggett and freshmen Thomas.

1. Bub
2. Lowe
3. Thomas
4. Leggett

That's kind of what I'm saying. Break the bank for a true freshman who is guaranteed to only be here one season, or get a senior who is only a slight downgrade and try to really go all in on a 4/5 and having a complete team?

I mean, I want all four; don't get me wrong. And I do think Thomas has a much higher ceiling than the others. Just trying to be somewhat mindful of our situation. Even if we could afford them all, they're not all going to be cool with splitting time.

Reactions: rockypanther
I wonder if the NIL budget can/will flex year to year. Like this could be the year to break the bank for Bub/lowe/thomas expecting 2025 to be a complete rebuild as those three likely to nba and Leggett done with eligibility. But you get a tourney team with a chance to make a serious run. I mean, get them to pay up now. Face that you end up with a bottom ACC team in 2025 and then restock for 2026.

1. Bub
2. Lowe
3. Thomas
4. Leggett

This is an excellent conundrum to be in, even if only hypothetically.

Leggett is a tremendous asset. He rebounds like he's 6'7". Does so much dirty work around the rim and plays like he's way taller. But can drive, handle, hit 3s, defend. Brings intensity.

I don't know jack about Thomas, but Leggett's skillset would be difficult to replicate. I'm fine with him, Lowe, Bub back.

Does the NBA take a Bub who is quite raw in getting to the rim? He's said multiple times that's what he needs to work on in the off season. I believe him until he says otherwise.

Leggett is a tremendous asset. He rebounds like he's 6'7". Does so much dirty work around the rim and plays like he's way taller. But can drive, handle, hit 3s, defend. Brings intensity.

I don't know jack about Thomas, but Leggett's skillset would be difficult to replicate. I'm fine with him, Lowe, Bub back.

Does the NBA take a Bub who is quite raw in getting to the rim? He's said multiple times that's what he needs to work on in the off season. I believe him until he says otherwise.

Yeah, Bub is like Bizarro McGowens. Bub finally started taking the ball to the hoop at the very end of the season, but yeah - he really needs to do a lot more of it.

McGowen's, on the other hand, would have tried dribbling through an iron wall just to miss a dunk.

I wonder if the NIL budget can/will flex year to year. Like this could be the year to break the bank for Bub/lowe/thomas expecting 2025 to be a complete rebuild as those three likely to nba and Leggett done with eligibility. But you get a tourney team with a chance to make a serious run. I mean, get them to pay up now. Face that you end up with a bottom ACC team in 2025 and then restock for 2026.

If some of the football numbers floating around are true, we are very stupid with where we choose to allocate our NIL funds.

Nonetheless, yes, I would have to imagine it fluctuates. It's basically whatever a small number of donors feels like giving, so I'm sure there is quite a bit of flexibility.

That's kind of what I'm saying. Break the bank for a true freshman who is guaranteed to only be here one season, or get a senior who is only a slight downgrade and try to really go all in on a 4/5 and having a complete team?

I mean, I want all four; don't get me wrong. And I do think Thomas has a much higher ceiling than the others. Just trying to be somewhat mindful of our situation. Even if we could afford them all, they're not all going to be cool with splitting time.

My complete guess is Leggett costs $200K, maybe $300K. The numbers BballinsiderfromPitt floats for Thomas, I dont believe. If IU wants to pay $1.5 million for a guy who is going to average 13 PPG, have at it. He isnt going to be a dominant college player as a freshman, few freshmen are. I do think we should to up to $1 million because of the hometown thing. He's marketable as a local guy and Alliance 412 could actually make some of the money back by having him do some commercials and appearances. So its not a complete pay for play. I mean its mostly pay for play but you'll be able to recoup some of it.

We need to be able to pay for a "Big 3" though. If we cant pay for 3 good players and then have a decent supporting cast, what's the point. It really only takes 3:

Blair/Young/Fields
Wanamaker/Gibbs/GB
Knight/Page/Brown

You need 3 and a good cast

Yeah, Bub is like Bizarro McGowens. Bub finally started taking the ball to the hoop at the very end of the season, but yeah - he really needs to do a lot more of it.

McGowen's, on the other hand, would have tried dribbling through an iron wall just to miss a dunk.

Good comparison. X and Trey were going to the rim, through hell or high water. They were going to try. And then they'd throw up the most ridiculous shit you'd ever see. That's why I call it driving drunk.

“We”.. you can chose where to put your NIL donations at any time. I’m guessing you don’t understand or acknowledge that most come from football donors, why should they foot the bill for basketball?

I guess you better up you financial backing to Jeff Capel.

I absolutely acknowledge where it comes from, and I acknowledge that what I give is tiny speckle of pee in the ocean.

I also acknowledge that giving $300k to a 5th string QB with a hitch in his delivery is dumb. But... tough to know what the actual numbers are, so it all comes with a grain of salt.

I absolutely acknowledge where it comes from, and I acknowledge that what I give is tiny speckle of pee in the ocean.

I also acknowledge that giving $300k to a 5th string QB with a hitch in his delivery is dumb. But... tough to know what the actual numbers are, so it all comes with a grain of salt.
If it's donated and allocated to football, then that's where it has to go.

I would suspect if we pickup Thomas that Bub and/or Ish are likely gone so there migh be more money that could go to Meleek. Just a guess.

If it's donated and allocated to football, then that's where it has to go.

I would suspect if we pickup Thomas that Bub and/or Ish are likely gone so there migh be more money that could go to Meleek. Just a guess.
Ish probably isnt going anywhere unless both bub and meleek are here. A 3 guard lineup is likely going to start next year with lowe and 2 of the 3 mentioned likely. The only way this doesnt happen is if meleek doesnt come to pitt and bub goes pro, then its gonna be lowe and ish with beebah backing them up

Concur with you Leggett comment. He is an outstanding player

Reactions: Atilla Cosby

So 2 possibilities
I’ll take your number one scenario.

Absolutely agree. In an ideal world, NIL that is going to football would be used, at least most of it, to get the basketball team these great recruits and transfer guys. Football is and will continue to be mediocre and I can't think of a player on that team that would be worth more to the team than Bub, Jaland, Ish or a Maleek would be to basketball.

But I'm a basketball fan more than football. I don't really care what the football team does as long as it doesn't interfere with basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT