ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone notice 5 star Meleek Thomas got a crystal ball to Pitt on rivals

If you tell Jaland Lowe that you are going to pay him $X to sign some autographs and help coach at some basketball camps and do some social media posting about different company's products and you include a clause that he has to live in the greater Pittsburgh area, and you HOPE that that means that he will play basketball for Pitt next year, and then Jaland Lowe fulfills every requirement of the actual contract, he will get paid his money whether he plays for Pitt or not.

Because hope is not an enforceable part of a contract.

And requiring him to play for Pitt would be illegal.

Do you understand that the requirement to live in a certain town all but forces the player to play for the college in that town? So its pay for play disguised as pay to live in this town

Actually, they arent. Real companies want to make money. So there's almost none of what you described going on. Its these "fake companies" (ie collectives) who are paying these kids "to play," not for them to sign anything or do commercials.
They are

They are

Well, even though that Kentucky booster has a real company, his intention with these NIL deals isnt to make money. In the article, it says he offered Antonio Reeves $100K for 5000 signatures. He is a good college players but after you add in the cost of the basketballs or portraits or whatever he's signing, this booster is going to take a loss. And the reason he didnt hear back from Kentucky on this is because these programs dont want their players doing real NIL deals because they are too time consuming. They just want them doing to pay for play collective ones where the player doesn't have to do anything.

My point was that real NIL deals are very very rare. You see some here and there but I thought we'd see a ton of appearances, autograph signings, jerseys, commercials, etc but no.

Well, even though that Kentucky booster has a real company, his intention with these NIL deals isnt to make money. In the article, it says he offered Antonio Reeves $100K for 5000 signatures. He is a good college players but after you add in the cost of the basketballs or portraits or whatever he's signing, this booster is going to take a loss. And the reason he didnt hear back from Kentucky on this is because these programs dont want their players doing real NIL deals because they are too time consuming. They just want them doing to pay for play collective ones where the player doesn't have to do anything.

My point was that real NIL deals are very very rare. You see some here and there but I thought we'd see a ton of appearances, autograph signings, jerseys, commercials, etc but no.
A lot of it happens on Instagram. That's a lot cheaper to pay someone to post on then making a TV ad.

It's also why a lot of attractive women players can get NIL in lower eyeball sports (Instagram being a very visually oriented medium)

Do you understand that the requirement to live in a certain town all but forces the player to play for the college in that town? So its pay for play disguised as pay to live in this town

Sure. I mean we all know that everyone who lives in Pittsburgh plays for Pitt. No, wait, that's not right. I mean everyone who plays college basketball who lives in Pittsburgh plays for Pitt.

No, wait, that's not right either.

I mean you gave an example a couple posts ago wondering about someone having a requirement that they live in a certain place as a part of their NIL deal and yet playing for a different school. YOU did that, not me.

Maybe we should just recognize this as another one of those times when you prove the other person's point without understanding what you actually did, and leave it at that.

Sure. I mean we all know that everyone who lives in Pittsburgh plays for Pitt. No, wait, that's not right. I mean everyone who plays college basketball who lives in Pittsburgh plays for Pitt.

No, wait, that's not right either.

I mean you gave an example a couple posts ago wondering about someone having a requirement that they live in a certain place as a part of their NIL deal and yet playing for a different school. YOU did that, not me.

Maybe we should just recognize this as another one of those times when you prove the other person's point without understanding what you actually did, and leave it at that.

And I said its extremely unlikely that a player who was on Pitt's team last year would sign an NIL deal with A412 but decide to play for Duq, RMU, or WVU. You know that, right? It limits you

And yet you keep saying:

when they are clearly no such thing. It is literally illegal for these deals to be pay for play. If you want to call it something, call it "pay for hope you play". Because THAT is what they actually are.
All we need is pitt79 to talk about how much he hates Kenny Pickett a few dozen times -
And we hit the OCD trifecta

One can argue the semantics of NIL payments all they want , but I doubt that very many college athletes would generate a profit for anyone investing their businesses advertising dollars in them . Think people are rushing out to car dealerships to get an O lineman’s autograph or for a player like Fede’s then buying a car ? Guys like Bub , who if he stays should get a very handsome amount of money , he really only has local appeal and would he generate an extra 500k profit for a business ? I doubt it .

Athletes like LSU’s gymnast Olivia Dunn who has national TV ads running for yoga pants and has deals with American Eagle , Forever21 and Vuori ,Stanford golfer Rose Zhang had Calloway amongst others paying her before she turned pro , Caleb Williams has Dr Pepper , Nissan , Wendy’s and so on .These athletes are making millions and are the exception . What national companies are lining up to sign the next Pitt big man ?

The old saying that there’s no such thing as a free lunch doesn’t apply to the schools , they’re able to have their players paid for by boosters legally now . When someone gives ( because it’s not a donation) $1000 to 412A..what benefits do they receive, will Bub show up at your kids birthday party or business to sign autographs ! No , it’s for him to play Bb at Pitt .

You don’t want to call it play for play so be it , but most of these kids are being paid to play their sport at the school that’s arraigning for the money to be paid for them by collectives like 412 Alliance and not by national advertisers.

It’s great for the athletes because they’re getting a part of a billion dollar business which relies on their skills and they’re gettin paid to play . Play better get paid more next year underperform see ya !

Last edited:
One can argue the semantics of NIL payments all they want , but I doubt that very many college athletes would generate a profit for anyone investing their businesses advertising dollars in them . Think people are rushing out to car dealerships to get an O lineman’s autograph or for a player like Fede’s then buying a car ? Guys like Bub , who if he stays should get a very handsome amount of money really only has local appeal and would he generate an extra 500k profit for a business ? I doubt it .

Athletes like LSU’s gymnast Olivia Dunn who has national TV ads running for yoga pants and has deals with American Eagle , Forever21 and Vuori ,Stanford golfer Rose Zhang had Calloway amongst others paying her before she turned pro , Caleb Williams has Dr Pepper , Nissan , Wendy’s and so on .These athletes are making millions and are the exception . What national companies are lining up to sign the next Pitt big man ?

The old saying that there’s no such thing as a free lunch doesn’t apply to the schools , they’re able to have their players paid for by boosters legally now . When someone gives ( because it’s not a donation) $1000 to 412A..what benefits do they receive, will Bub show up at your kids birthday party or business to sign autographs ! No , it’s for him to play Bb at Pitt .

You don’t want to call it play for play so be it , but most of these kids are being paid to play their sport at the school that’s arraigning for the money to be paid for them by collectives like 412 Alliance and not by national advertisers.

It’s great for the athletes because they’re getting a part of a billion dollar business which relies on their skills and they’re gettin paid to play . Play better get paid more next year underperform see ya !

Despite not legally allowed to say "pay for play," they are obviously pay for play. Does anyone besides Joe think they arent? Are these collectives just so bad at business that they lose millions every single year but somehow remain in business.

Despite not legally allowed to say "pay for play," they are obviously pay for play. Does anyone besides Joe think they arent? Are these collectives just so bad at business that they lose millions every single year but somehow remain in business.
Hollywood has created all sorts of marketing companies that exist to lose money separate from the production companies. That's not illegal, yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT