ADVERTISEMENT

[Article]ACC Coaches talk anonymously about ACC teams

That's a powerful quote about Pitt's defense and makes complete sense to me. I love what Narduzzi has done with the overall program, but I hate what he has done with the defense. I completely agree with what this coach is saying. You can't run a Big Ten defense in the ACC. It's a league of quarterbacks and wide receivers. I don't care if you have 2 guys named Revis at cornerback, making corners play man to man in this conference is like spotting the other team 3-4 touchdowns.

That's a powerful quote about Pitt's defense and makes complete sense to me. I love what Narduzzi has done with the overall program, but I hate what he has done with the defense. I completely agree with what this coach is saying. You can't run a Big Ten defense in the ACC. It's a league of quarterbacks and wide receivers. I don't care if you have 2 guys named Revis at cornerback, making corners play man to man in this conference is like spotting the other team 3-4 touchdowns.

I thought that was also very interesting and accurate to date.

What changes better corners, you need three, or the defense of scheme?

Fight the Power
NGF

Reactions: vietvet1
Its funny because that is pretty much what I have posted on this board many times.

The Big Ten when Narduzzi was there was a stone-age "lets run power" league. Narduzzi designed a defense to stop that. He has since moved to a video game passing league playing spread offenses in all but maybe 3 games per year. Quite honestly, his defensive strategy is just not a fit. He believes in it and he's married to it but if he wasn't so hard-headed, last year could have been 11-1, heck, maybe 12-1 and a CFP bid.

Its funny because that is pretty much what I have posted on this board many times.

The Big Ten when Narduzzi was there was a stone-age "lets run power" league. Narduzzi designed a defense to stop that. He has since moved to a video game passing league playing spread offenses in all but maybe 3 games per year. Quite honestly, his defensive strategy is just not a fit. He believes in it and he's married to it but if he wasn't so hard-headed, last year could have been 11-1, heck, maybe 12-1 and a CFP bid.
That defense will look a lot better when there are some athletes on it. Outside of Whitehead and Juan We were playing D with lower-tier MAC personnel last year. This year stands to be pretty sketchy with all the inexperience, but we will start to see some P5 ahlettes.

Matt House ran a pro style coverage scheme with safety help over the top. How'd that work out against FSU, or even Duke?

Need better players. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Wow. The coach who stated this:

"On defense, they’re going to stop the run and make you throw it. Last year, people threw for 400 yards on them regularly. It’s just a matter of how good you are throwing the football. When (Pat) Narduzzi was in the Big Ten, that style, people couldn’t handle it. With Pitt in the ACC, it’s a quarterback-driven league. You’ve got corners they’re putting on an island. He will pressure, but their corners are matched up outside and the safeties are extra hitters in the box. They’re sort of getting nine in the box at all times. If their corners improve and they can get away with it, they’ll be fine. At Michigan State, those corners were getting drafted, and it’s cold and windy in the Big Ten in a league that runs the ball. This league isn’t like that.”

Was 1000% Correct. I like Narduzzi but I wish he was so freaking STUBBORN with his Defense. I also agree with other posters. If Pitt would have run a better defensive scheme last year they could have easily have been 11-1. I hope Narduzzi can adapt or he will be stuck in the rut of mediocrity. This isn't the Big Fat Ten. It isn't always "Cold and Windy" & "In a league that runs the ball" ...."This league isn't like that".

Again Coach, this isn't some message board flunky posting this. These are quotes from other coaches in the ACC. Time to adapt.

Well considering more than half the teams in the Big 10 run the spread ( or a form of it ). Makes it no less innovated than the ACC.

The only point I can see that might make sense is the weather aspect late in the season. Which makes it tougher to throw downfield.

It all boils down to the players making plays at the right time. Big time players make big time plays during big time games. When Pitt starts to recruit better. The better the defense becomes

Spot on SMF. So many were happy with 8 wins last year. Last year was a lost opportunity to win the Coastal. UNC was not as good as in 2015 and took a step back. Miami and VT both had new coaches working with their predecessor's players. Both Miami and VT are on the rise and their recruiting and programs are improving.

Pitt had its most prolific offense EVER with an experienced qb and tight end, Conner, and an OL with future NFLers and Narduzzi's Big 10 stop the run defense let us down and he never adjusted.

If I'm not mistaken the last Big 10 qb taken in the first round was Kerry Collins in 1995. The ACC had two taken in the first round of this year's draft alone.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
One would hope he's realistic and honest enough to make adjustments in scheme to fit the league.

Unless, like Chryst, he's just hanging out here biding time for Michigan State to come calling him back, and it doesn't matter what he does here ... sadly it can't be ruled out, but I don't get that feel with this guy ... I can't imagine he's willing to just stand pat (If so, "stand Pat" could be up there with "not my fault Walt" as a fun denigrating slogan!).

It would be the definition of insanity to put out the same scheme that keeps failing every season, particularly when its obvious his peers are basically ridiculing it. Let's figure he's not (entirely) insane.

Well considering more than half the teams in the Big 10 run the spread ( or a form of it ). Makes it no less innovated than the ACC.

The only point I can see that might make sense is the weather aspect late in the season. Which makes it tougher to throw downfield.

It all boils down to the players making plays at the right time. Big time players make big time plays during big time games. When Pitt starts to recruit better. The better the defense becomes

The QB's in the BIG10 are a real step down compared to the ACC. That makes all the difference in the world.

The QB's in the BIG10 are a real step down compared to the ACC. That makes all the difference in the world.

Not only the QBs, but the WRs in the ACC are incredibly gifted (realizing some of that has to do with the QBs who are getting them the ball. Mike Williams, Amba Ett-Tawo, Switzer, Isaiah Ford, etc. are all great players PITT has to face last year.

This isn't aimed at the original quoted posted.

My hope is the secondary is better based solely on some of the players who graduated last year. There were so many times when a WR was running free behind Webb or making a catch while Lewis never turned his head to find the ball. The secondary will be younger this year than last year, but there are now athletes in Hamlin, Dane Jackson, Coleman, Ford (hopefully), etc.

The secondary isn't the only group to blame. The LBs didn't show much last year, outside of Brightwell's incredible INT and return while being tackled in a last-ditch effort from Mike Williams. Galambos ranked 105th in the country in tackles.

I thought the whole point of this defensive scheme was to allow the LBs to step up and make the tackles, sacks, etc. while the DL put pressure on the QB? In 2013 Allen, Bullough, and Jones (all LBs) made up 3 of the Top 4 leaders in tackles with 98, 76, and 67 tackles respectively for Michigan State.

Not only the QBs, but the WRs in the ACC are incredibly gifted (realizing some of that has to do with the QBs who are getting them the ball. Mike Williams, Amba Ett-Tawo, Switzer, Isaiah Ford, etc. are all great players PITT has to face last year.

This isn't aimed at the original quoted posted.

My hope is the secondary is better based solely on some of the players who graduated last year. There were so many times when a WR was running free behind Webb or making a catch while Lewis never turned his head to find the ball. The secondary will be younger this year than last year, but there are now athletes in Hamlin, Dane Jackson, Coleman, Ford (hopefully), etc.

The secondary isn't the only group to blame. The LBs didn't show much last year, outside of Brightwell's incredible INT and return while being tackled in a last-ditch effort from Mike Williams. Galambos ranked 105th in the country in tackles.

I thought the whole point of this defensive scheme was to allow the LBs to step up and make the tackles, sacks, etc. while the DL put pressure on the QB? In 2013 Allen, Bullough, and Jones (all LBs) made up 3 of the Top 4 leaders in tackles with 98, 76, and 67 tackles respectively for Michigan State.
Good thoughts on the defensive makeup. Particularly the impact (lack thereof) of the linebackers. A position of consistent and kind of baffling frustration.

Reactions: VAPITTALUM
Regardless of what he says to the media, hopefully Coach makes adjustments to what's been killing us in the pass game. Personnel is part of it, but you can't base a scheme solely around having 1st round draft pick corners.

The point of that defense is to bend, not break. Puts a ton of pressure on the CB's but a lot of it depends on getting pressure on the QB too. Pitt didn't do that regularly or well enough either. You guys also forget that the previous staff didn't seem to have much interest in recruiting defensive talent. The cupboard was pretty bare.

The scheme is fine. Give the staff time to build depth and get players accustom to the demands of the positions they play.

The point of that defense is to bend, not break. Puts a ton of pressure on the CB's but a lot of it depends on getting pressure on the QB too. Pitt didn't do that regularly or well enough either. You guys also forget that the previous staff didn't seem to have much interest in recruiting defensive talent. The cupboard was pretty bare.

The scheme is fine. Give the staff time to build depth and get players accustom to the demands of the positions they play.
Well that's just it, building off the post above. At some point you need, perhaps not all Americans, but at least competent D1 players, and we've shockingly been bereft at the linebacker position.

I am realistic to know we aren't going to be considered linebackerU (though given the city we're in, I certainly don't see why it hasn't been an emphasis if only for PR purposes). But it's one thing to have pedestrian LB but quite another to be consistently rolling out guys who honestly might not crack some D2 lineups... not due to heart or even ferocity, but simply woefully inadequate physical skills and instincts. And that means woeful at the D2 level for that matter, not D1/P5. And it's easy to say Chryst didn't bother (I'm not arguing), but when it extends even back to Wanny's later years, you really have to wonder "WTF" is it about us and that position...

And it's easy to say Chryst didn't bother (I'm not arguing), but when it extends even back to Wanny's later years, you really have to wonder "WTF" is it about us and that position...

The LB position is sort of enigmatic. The speed and technique of the OL-men now have really changed things and the LB position hasn't caught up. WR's are getting bigger and TE's are pass catchers more and more. Then you have schools like UNC and OkSt that are going to run 5-wide all day. Really makes it tough.

Serious question, who are the elite inside LB's in college? Is there still such a thing?

OSU, PSU, Ind, etc moved to the spread after he left MSU. Mostly pro-style offenses.
yeah, that was my opinion too. I mean, it's not like all the big 10 teams play in this pro set, run oriented offenses with that proverbial "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality. And it's not always snowing and raining at the big 10 games, I mean it's such a ridiculous stereotype. The sun does shine in ohio and Michigan in sept and October, they do have artificial turf. Some of those players can run fast too. the ACC or the south in general doesn't have the copyright on 3 and 4 WR sets.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Spot on SMF. So many were happy with 8 wins last year. Last year was a lost opportunity to win the Coastal. UNC was not as good as in 2015 and took a step back. Miami and VT both had new coaches working with their predecessor's players. Both Miami and VT are on the rise and their recruiting and programs are improving.

Pitt had its most prolific offense EVER with an experienced qb and tight end, Conner, and an OL with future NFLers and Narduzzi's Big 10 stop the run defense let us down and he never adjusted.

If I'm not mistaken the last Big 10 qb taken in the first round was Kerry Collins in 1995. The ACC had two taken in the first round of this year's draft alone.
What's conveniently ignored is that Pitt was also a few late game first downs by that aforementioned powerful offense from being 11-1. Just sayin...

yeah, that was my opinion too. I mean, it's not like all the big 10 teams play in this pro set, run oriented offenses with that proverbial "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality. And it's not always snowing and raining at the big 10 games, I mean it's such a ridiculous stereotype. The sun does shine in ohio and Michigan in sept and October, they do have artificial turf. Some of those players can run fast too. the ACC or the south in general doesn't have the copyright on 3 and 4 WR sets.

I think the main point is QB & skill player talent is better in the ACC tho, making the philosophy of playing mostly press-man more difficult to execute.

I think the main point is QB & skill player talent is better in the ACC tho, making the philosophy of playing mostly press-man more difficult to execute.
Last year no doubt the ACC had much better QB and wideout play compared to the big 10. However, that doesn't mean it will stay that way. There are teams in the big10 that recruit just as good if not better than Clemson, FSU, Miami.

Bottom line is Pitt needs to recruit better defensive players. Once that happens. Giving up 450 yards a game through the air will be a distant memory

The LB position is sort of enigmatic. The speed and technique of the OL-men now have really changed things and the LB position hasn't caught up. WR's are getting bigger and TE's are pass catchers more and more. Then you have schools like UNC and OkSt that are going to run 5-wide all day. Really makes it tough.

Serious question, who are the elite inside LB's in college? Is there still such a thing?
Maybe the position needs seriously rethought and staffed accordingly ... use a bunch of hybrid safety types instead of the classic LB. But they'd need to be more Ed Reed (or Ramon Walker) than the rather undersized variety we've been deploying. I don't care who what or how big or what cool nickname they're called as long as they are more effective than what we've had for the last 6-7 years now..

Wow. The coach who stated this:

"On defense, they’re going to stop the run and make you throw it. Last year, people threw for 400 yards on them regularly. It’s just a matter of how good you are throwing the football. When (Pat) Narduzzi was in the Big Ten, that style, people couldn’t handle it. With Pitt in the ACC, it’s a quarterback-driven league. You’ve got corners they’re putting on an island. He will pressure, but their corners are matched up outside and the safeties are extra hitters in the box. They’re sort of getting nine in the box at all times. If their corners improve and they can get away with it, they’ll be fine. At Michigan State, those corners were getting drafted, and it’s cold and windy in the Big Ten in a league that runs the ball. This league isn’t like that.”

Was 1000% Correct. I like Narduzzi but I wish he was so freaking STUBBORN with his Defense. I also agree with other posters. If Pitt would have run a better defensive scheme last year they could have easily have been 11-1. I hope Narduzzi can adapt or he will be stuck in the rut of mediocrity. This isn't the Big Fat Ten. It isn't always "Cold and Windy" & "In a league that runs the ball" ...."This league isn't like that".

Again Coach, this isn't some message board flunky posting this. These are quotes from other coaches in the ACC. Time to adapt.
I've heard this same theory about Duzzi's D stated by some friends i have in the D1 coaching business, and I've heard some other guys in the business say that Duzzi's D works against any kind of O once the right players are in place, particularly the corners and safeties. I'm inclined to agree with the latter. Time will tell.

Reactions: freddietee511
Last year no doubt the ACC had much better QB and wideout play compared to the big 10. However, that doesn't mean it will stay that way. There are teams in the big10 that recruit just as good if not better than Clemson, FSU, Miami.

Bottom line is Pitt needs to recruit better defensive players. Once that happens. Giving up 450 yards a game through the air will be a distant memory
Agree Shere - as the MAC level talent House stockpiled continues to graduate Pitt will see an uptick in speed, athleticism and playmaking on the defensive side of the ball.

Reactions: sherepower
It is talent that will matter, not scheme. When Narduzzi has his players and they get the experience needed, Pitt can have a very good defense. By the way Narduzzi D is not exactly unique. Many programs run a D based on that. Stanford, Michigan to name a couple. Does anyone really think scheme was the major issue with a safety that really stunk, another on one leg, a corner who played due to numbers and line backers who were God awful slow. Tell what scheme would have made that defense much better.

To me, the coach's comment concerning Narduzzi's defense is stupid...

How do you stop a top flight QB from picking you apart? You pressure him and use man to man coverage. Isn't that what Narduzzi's defense is all about? You need players to execute your schemes. They had no answer for the top QB's and receivers that burned them last year because only one of the players had the skill set (Whitehead) for the scheme.

Look who we trotted out there last year against some of the top WR's and QB's:

Maddox?
Jackson?
Motley?
Briggs?
Henderson?
Webb?
Mitchell?

Other than Pitt, do you know how many P5 offers they received combined? Not many...

Players win games...

Some of the replies remind me of the scorn I absorb when I point out "winning" as the cure to our attendance woes.

Saying "get better players" is a very similar answer.

How do we do that in our situation? It takes money and underhanded tactics we're not willing to invest.

Take a look at the busiest thread of the board right now. Lamentation over excessive suspensions! That doesn't gibe well with attracting major studs.

So assuming a massive influx of 4 and 5 stars aren't imminent, adjustments in scheme, even subtle, seem prudent.

Some of the replies remind me of the scorn I absorb when I point out "winning" as the cure to our attendance woes.

How do we do that in our situation? It takes money and underhanded tactics we're not willing to invest.

Take a look at the busiest thread of the board right now. Lamentation over excessive suspensions! That doesn't gibe well with attracting major studs.

So assuming a massive influx of 4 and 5 stars aren't imminent, adjustments in scheme, even subtle, seem prudent.
Duzzi is too successful to scrap his scheme and start over. That would raise so many red flags and weakness. He got here based on a successful plan, don't scrap it now.. we've been warned by Sparta nation, a few rough years of giving up big plays followed by good defenses. We've endured the worst, things will get better..

What's conveniently ignored is that Pitt was also a few late game first downs by that aforementioned powerful offense from being 11-1.

This is correct. Actually, the team was one or two big plays from being on the other side of that, too. If McSorley doesn't throw an air-ball or Clemson decide to try to play power run late, could have easily been a 6 win season.

Duzzi is too successful to scrap his scheme and start over. That would raise so many red flags and weakness. He got here based on a successful plan, don't scrap it now.. we've been warned by Sparta nation, a few rough years of giving up big plays followed by good defenses. We've endured the worst, things will get better..
I would not expect a 180 change in scheme but repeating it verbatim without a significant talent upgrade ... which while the talent appears it could be better, is not Alabama- better... is going to have similar disappointing results. He can't be expecting the offense to repeat what it did last year so I hope he has some wrinkles.

My bet is that the second quote on Duke and the first quote on NC are Narduzzi. Not so sure based on the content of the quotes, but if I say those quotes in his voice,it's spot on!

I would not expect a 180 change in scheme but repeating it verbatim without a significant talent upgrade ... which while the talent appears it could be better, is not Alabama- better... is going to have similar disappointing results. He can't be expecting the offense to repeat what it did last year so I hope he has some wrinkles.
curious if is flexible on rolling out more dime/nickel packages. He was quoted as saying he likes to work primarily out of his base defense. I'lll be honest, I don't pay too close attention to packages when watching the game so I don't know how much truth this is, if he works primarily out of his base or goes to bringing another db in against some of these spread offenses. Obviously 3rd and long, we know it's happening but does it happen when we face an offense that is consistently showing 3 or 4 Wrs, I don't know?

I think he likes the 8-9 men in the box though, I think he will always want to stop the run, to the extreme and if it makes our pass defense weaker, so be it. I don't think he'll ever sacrifice the run defense for the pass defense, right or wrong, my man wont let teams run on pitt..

If we put more emphasis on stopping the pass, we would have gotten gashed for yards on the ground in a ball controlling offense. Why would that have been an effective strategy, when we had a top ten offense?

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
If we put more emphasis on stopping the pass, we would have gotten gashed for yards on the ground in a ball controlling offense. Why would that have been an effective strategy, when we had a top ten offense?
I agree. stop the run, have your boundary safety as a lb and get good CBs who can go 1 on 1. Easier said than done I know.

Reactions: Tbro34
It is talent that will matter, not scheme. When Narduzzi has his players and they get the experience needed, Pitt can have a very good defense. By the way Narduzzi D is not exactly unique. Many programs run a D based on that. Stanford, Michigan to name a couple. Does anyone really think scheme was the major issue with a safety that really stunk, another on one leg, a corner who played due to numbers and line backers who were God awful slow. Tell what scheme would have made that defense much better.
You forgot to mention a DL that didn't generate much pressure on the QB. When we played the better teams that had good enough O lines that they could get away with double teaming Juan Price, we had virtually no pass rush.

Ohio State's D is a virtual carbon copy of Doozi's.

Better players doesn't necessarily mean more rivals stars. It just means better, more athletic players. I think we're already moving very nicely in that direction regardless of recruiting class rankings, at least on the defensive side.

We had middle of MAC-level defensive personnel the last couple of years, especially at LB and DB.

This is not to say that Narduzzi shouldn't/couldn't have done a better job with what we had. He should/could have. Maybe we could have run some Brett Venables-style flexible coverages with an extra DB. But with that personnel group, it wouldn't much matter what kind of scheme we played, we were going to give up a ton of passing yardage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT