ADVERTISEMENT

ARTICLE: Gavin "always wanted to end up at Pitt"

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
When he went to interview for his first head coaching job, Keith Gavin wasn’t too nervous.

Maybe that’s the case with a lot of former Division I athletes; if they’ve been successful, they’ve probably learned to calm their nerves in high-pressure situations. Or maybe it’s just Gavin’s natural sense of self-confidence.

“It was pretty easy for me to do it,” Gavin told Panther-Lair.com, “because this is something I’ve thought about before: what would I need to do if I was going to be the Pitt head coach and how we could get to where I think they should be, things like that, because I follow the program and I have a lot of passion for it because it’s my alma mater.

“I always wanted to end up at Pitt.”

Here's our interview with Keith Gavin about taking the Pitt job, the support of the administration and a lot more.

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/gavin-always-wanted-to-end-up-at-pitt-

Reactions: singregardless
When he went to interview for his first head coaching job, Keith Gavin wasn’t too nervous.

Maybe that’s the case with a lot of former Division I athletes; if they’ve been successful, they’ve probably learned to calm their nerves in high-pressure situations. Or maybe it’s just Gavin’s natural sense of self-confidence.

“It was pretty easy for me to do it,” Gavin told Panther-Lair.com, “because this is something I’ve thought about before: what would I need to do if I was going to be the Pitt head coach and how we could get to where I think they should be, things like that, because I follow the program and I have a lot of passion for it because it’s my alma mater.

“I always wanted to end up at Pitt.”

Here's our interview with Keith Gavin about taking the Pitt job, the support of the administration and a lot more.

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/gavin-always-wanted-to-end-up-at-pitt-

what kind of updates are they doing / do they need to the facilities? is it just a matter of making it not look like crap? i remember seeing a picture on here somewhere that showed it was pretty subpar.

what kind of updates are they doing / do they need to the facilities? is it just a matter of making it not look like crap? i remember seeing a picture on here somewhere that showed it was pretty subpar.
There's some aesthetic stuff - new graphics on the walls, a rebuilt entrance, etc. - but also some structural changes. Gavin said they had to redo the floor and level it out; I haven't wrestled, but that's probably pretty helpful. He said they also knocked down a wall to open things up a bit, turning an office into a bigger area for strength and cardio work.

There's some aesthetic stuff - new graphics on the walls, a rebuilt entrance, etc. - but also some structural changes. Gavin said they had to redo the floor and level it out; I haven't wrestled, but that's probably pretty helpful. He said they also knocked down a wall to open things up a bit, turning an office into a bigger area for strength and cardio work.

duh [to me], i saw that in the interview. i didnt phrase it correctly. is there more they need to do? or is that all thats being done now? did he view it as needing to be rehabbed and/or expanded significantly?

duh [to me], i saw that in the interview. i didnt phrase it correctly. is there more they need to do? or is that all thats being done now? did he view it as needing to be rehabbed and/or expanded significantly?
He seemed to think that those improvements will cover what they need.

Honestly, he was pretty understated about facilities. He said they'll roll out competition mats in the backyard if they have to. He said it does help with recruiting, but the bigger picture is that it shows support from the administration, which is the most important factor.

Excited for this new staff and the prospects of the wrestling program moving forward

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT