ADVERTISEMENT

At-large watch

_DBHoops

Scholarship
Feb 17, 2021
Based on last couple years, looks like at-large selections are coming down Wednesday 3/8.

125 - 5 spots
Non-AQs: #7*, #15, #25 Wagner, #26, #28, #31, #33 *Cardinale MFFed all his Big 12 matches. #9 is also injured, and done for the year.
Camacho helped himself at ACCs, adding a ranked win (Wagner) and finishing in the top non-auto spot. He was unranked in the final coaches' ranking and does not have a win against any of the 28 auto-qualifiers.
149 - 4 spots
Non-AQs: #2, #12 (thanks to Dylan Chappell), #18, #24, #28, #30 Badgett
Sixth in line with four spots. Alternate and 33/32 pigtail match are both possibilities here. Badgett has two wins against the field (George Mason, Edinboro) but losses to #18 and #28 who both also need wild cards.
157 - 5 spots
Not doing the math here because I can't find anything from this season to justify Casto to NCAAs. His best win is Keating who also had a very bad year. If it somehow happens I'll be happy? I guess?

No chance of a bid at heavyweight, it was nice to see Slinger finally get his win against Whitman though.

I feel like Camacho will come down to either him or Wagner. Hoping the last win is significant here. Don’t have much faith that Badgett will get in but fingers crossed. Going 0-2 was the nail in the coffin

Reactions: Eric_Knopsnyder
@Eric_Knopsnyder any insight on why Wagner gets the nod over Camacho? I don’t know why I had this thought that conferences would insert the first placer outside of auto spots. I swear I heard that on some podcast I listened to in the past. In essence what was the point behind Camacho wrestling in the third place match then

@Eric_Knopsnyder any insight on why Wagner gets the nod over Camacho? I don’t know why I had this thought that conferences would insert the first placer outside of auto spots. I swear I heard that on some podcast I listened to in the past. In essence what was the point behind Camacho wrestling in the third place match then
His RPI is quite a bit higher if that matters. I'm not sure what the final determining factors are for at large bids. Tough break for Camacho to be so close.

Reactions: Ryno53
His RPI is quite a bit higher if that matters. I'm not sure what the final determining factors are for at large bids. Tough break for Camacho to be so close.
I don't have inside info, but I'm guessing Chaos is right. They split a pair of matches, and Wagner had better wins and higher ranking.

Reactions: Ryno53
It makes sense from a total season overview but doesn’t make sense that you can be beat in the third place match with two guys very close in the pecking order for him not to get a nod. Slightly frustrating when it feels like the last few years any Pitt wrestler that has been close hasn’t gotten the nod. It seems as though that any weight class not qualifying for ncaas will get attention in the transfer portal so who knows. I think it’s almost mandatory to bring in another 125 and 149 to at least challenge

Reactions: Eric_Knopsnyder
It makes sense from a total season overview but doesn’t make sense that you can be beat in the third place match with two guys very close in the pecking order for him not to get a nod. Slightly frustrating when it feels like the last few years any Pitt wrestler that has been close hasn’t gotten the nod. It seems as though that any weight class not qualifying for ncaas will get attention in the transfer portal so who knows. I think it’s almost mandatory to bring in another 125 and 149 to at least challenge
And 133

Yeah completely forgot about 133. I am hoping Santaniello is the guy but who knows with his injury Incoming recruits will hopefully redshirt but Evans could challenge for 157 as well. Keslar’s performance those two matches he got gave me some confidence at least

Reactions: singregardless
Yeah completely forgot about 133. I am hoping Santaniello is the guy but who knows with his injury Incoming recruits will hopefully redshirt but Evans could challenge for 157 as well. Keslar’s performance those two matches he got gave me some confidence at least
Anybody know what’s going on with McMillan?

Keslar is an athlete. He has good balance and moves his feet well. I think there is a lot to work with there. I think he has the highest ceiling of the 157 options

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT