ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic donations

There's no juice to the program because it's now a sport where Pitt can't compete at a very high level. That, and they also play in a conference with a very uncertainty future. Why would anyone care about the personality of the coach?
Because he’s as exciting as a doorknob, and that’s probably partially why his recruiting is so poor. It also turns the average fan off. If you’re going to be a bore, at least win at a high level to attract talented kids. Plus, Narduzzi hates NIL, it’s a bad mix.

Also, we all saw this coming a long time ago. Pitt’s refusal to embrace football, and honestly, embrace anything but football for 3 decades caused the mess they’re in now. Pitt has no one to blame but themselves.

I appreciate that perspective, I just don’t know how you can say not supporting the program is their loss, and then complain about attendance or lack of donors.

The reality is that Pitt is straddled with a 58 year old coach who’s been very average minus 1 year where he won 10 games. There’s no juice to the program, probably because of Narduzzi’s personality, but also because he’s been average enough that the local hardcore fans like him, everyone else doesn’t care.
huh?

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Because he’s as exciting as a doorknob, and that’s probably partially why his recruiting is so poor. It also turns the average fan off. If you’re going to be a bore, at least win at a high level to attract talented kids. Plus, Narduzzi hates NIL, it’s a bad mix.

Also, we all saw this coming a long time ago. Pitt’s refusal to embrace football, and honestly, embrace anything but football for 3 decades caused the mess they’re in now. Pitt has no one to blame but themselves.

What someone thinks of a coach's personality is totally subjective. From interviews, he comes across as energetic and personable,

And I really don't think the average fan cares about the personality of the head coach, or any other coach on the staff.

All coaches hate NIL.

I think we just fundamentally disagree. If you think that the athletic department should take the approach of high income earners donating more money to the program, that’s one way to do it. However, I think they should take the approach of more donors, giving less money. 500 bucks of discretionary income is a big ask in today’s economy. A lot of folks are just making ends meet.
It’s really not .
There is no min donation to the panther club , so moot point .
Relying on the poors isn’t a winning strategy to fundraise .

Last edited:
But again, I think you guys are making an assumption that this is out of the general population or even sports fans. Fact is, at least 2/3's of folks likely could care less about college football. Sure, they may watch some on TV, but to go to games, let alone donate? Come on man.
“Give me an A for Apathy”
Every pitt fan “get it yourself !”

Sure you can also buy non/donation level season tickets .
Otherwise
You’re just watching TV
Stop watching and work harder to succeed
lol….I have plenty of money. Life is good. And the thing about people who brag about being rich is this. They’re usually soft as ****. You’re the pussy who gets targeted because anyone can take your money, and you’re not doing shit about it. Now, **** off, loser.

On all of this, if I am being honest, my interest in the last 10 years in general has really went downhill overall in college football. Conference realignment, NIL, the expanded playoff, etc. has taken away a lot of what made the game unique. Add in Pitt tripping over its own dick regularly and my own personal goals and interests, and I went from being a donor and traveling to bowl games regularly to a casual observer. Hell, I made three straight trips to Birmingham for God’s sake. Now, my son plays at a small D2 school on top of it, so if I am giving to an athletic department it’s going there. I still care about Pitt football and athletics, but my interest and participation has slowly dwindled to being a casual fan.
Respect brother. That is the right path.

lol….I have plenty of money. Life is good. And the thing about people who brag about being rich is this. They’re usually soft as ****. You’re the pussy who gets targeted because anyone can take your money, and you’re not doing shit about it. Now, **** off, loser.
Lulz
Capitalism isn’t for for everyone .

Relying on the poors isn’t a winning strategy to fundraise .
This is really the answer. Penn State doesn't have a hockey program if it wasn't for one single donor. Their football program leans into the big donors to get signing bonuses and buyouts done. Not to mention the stadium upgrades although you still have to pee in a giant sink.

But to be honest, even that isn't enough if you don't do the other things right. T. Boone Pickens gave tons to Oklahoma State and it bought them relevance and a few good seasons but not a lot more. How's Arkansas doing with Jerry Jones' money? I mean, Miami has done everything you can do with money (legally and not so legally) and can't sustain winning.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
This is really the answer. Penn State doesn't have a hockey program if it wasn't for one single donor. Their football program leans into the big donors to get signing bonuses and buyouts done. Not to mention the stadium upgrades although you still have to pee in a giant sink.

But to be honest, even that isn't enough if you don't do the other things right. T. Boone Pickens gave tons to Oklahoma State and it bought them relevance and a few good seasons but not a lot more. How's Arkansas doing with Jerry Jones' money? I mean, Miami has done everything you can do with money (legally and not so legally) and can't sustain winning.
natrona thinks pitt should be handing out Sarris order sheets to the general population .
Because actually going to games and buying tickets is too rich for their blood .

What is never taken into account is.............

1) Percentage of sports fans who just don't give a damn about college sports.
2) Percentage people who just don't give a damn about sports.

So Say the Metro Area is ~ 2.2 million people.

50% Likely don't care at all. That's 1.1 million people.
35% Likely don't care about college sports. That's 770K

That leaves about ~330K So about 100K are Pitt fans? That sounds high to me. And of that 100K, maybe 50% actually are avid Pitt fans. I think there are more PSU fans in the region that you are giving credit for. Remember "region" means more than Allegheny County.

The bottom line is Pitt fanbase maybe cheap, but it is also relatively small for a P4 program. We are closer along the lines of those few who are private schools.

I read an article awhile ago where a TV exec said 30% of people are sports fans. That sounds about right. So if there are 2.2 million people in the Pgh region, that's 660,000 sports fans. How many are college sports fans? Lets be generous and say 50%. That's 330K, which is exactly what you said. Of those 330K, I'd say half are Pitt fans. That doesn't mean they bleed blue and gold but they will watch Pitt if they arent doing anything. 82,000 people watched Pitt/Kent State on ESPN and another 30K at the game so that's 112K people. That's a terrible TV number but its opposite PSU/WVU which had great local interest and 10 other noon games. So I'd say 165K Pitt fans sounds about right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT