ADVERTISEMENT

AVCA 9/9: Pitt VB ranked #1

Very ironic that not only volleyball’s first ever #1 ranking, but any Pitt women’s program’s first ever #1 ranking, comes on the day Pitt fires their female AD. For Lyke’s flaws, gotta give her a solid chunk of credit for this team’s sustained success. Hopefully the ladies keep winning this week on their California trip!

Texas not getting any first place votes is wild but the AVCA polls are always strange the first few weeks.
GaTech jumped from 19 to 15.
Miami jumping into the poll is nice for them.

ACC: 6 teams
B1G: 7 teams
SEC: 5 teams
Big12: 5 teams
Others: Creighton (Big East) and Dayton (A10)

Reactions: Chaos
Very ironic that not only volleyball’s first ever #1 ranking, but any Pitt women’s program’s first ever #1 ranking, comes on the day Pitt fires their female AD. For Lyke’s flaws, gotta give her a solid chunk of credit for this team’s sustained success. Hopefully the ladies keep winning this week on their California trip!
....and by Pitt's 1st female chancellor.....wonder if that's a 1st among NCAA division 1 universities....

1Pittsburgh (29)1,4713-03
2Stanford (23)1,4624-05
3Penn State (6)1,3895-07
4Louisville (1)1,2845-14
5Nebraska (2)1,2775-12
6Texas1,1682-21
Stanford's brutal non conference schedule nearly put them at #1......but I believe Pitt deserved the #1 ranking. What I really care about is a Pitt - Penn State match at the Pete next week with both teams undefeated.

Reactions: bellvision1
Stanford's brutal non conference schedule nearly put them at #1......but I believe Pitt deserved the #1 ranking. What I really care about is a Pitt - Penn State match at the Pete next week with both teams undefeated.
I think Stanford plays Pepperdine this week, and then we do this weekend. That’ll be interesting…at least a bit.

They also play UCSB. An interesting measuring stick for us.
And we might as well add USC on Wednesday.....a 3 game grind on the west coast. Penn State has an easy week......Duke, Princeton and St. Johns......all at home.

Great accomplishment! Really hope they can run the table in CA and set up a battle of unbeaten Top 3 teams next week.

Reactions: Chaos
A lot of internet chatter is complaining that Pitt only played one ranked team where other schools, like Penn State, are undefeated and have played more than one. I'm okay with that argument but I think the way Pitt just sort of dominated Oregon turned a lot of eyes while the Nits win over Louisville came with a bit of an asterisk since Louisville had played three big games in five days. It's early and these rankings don't really mean anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT