ADVERTISEMENT

AP Top 25 poll

WVU has an above average QB and a good RB. Beyond that, their talent level is similar to ours. They are better but not by much. No reason to lose to them at home. They will be a 3 point favorite.

Pick 6 Preview has them having the number 1 ranked OL in the Big 12. And 9 overall in the country. Number 1 ranked RB unit in Big 12.
Phil Steele has them with the number 11 ranked OL.

I think you’re underselling how good some of their top end talent is.

Yes, they are pretty mid at a lot of units. But they also have some pretty highly regarded units as well.

4-6 losses. Coming off a 15-0 natty and a 40-3 three year stretch? That's not good. And then what happens after this season?

All I'm saying is I don't think anyone on their schedule is afraid of them, or should be afraid of them, this year. They shot their shot last year and left the cupboard badly depleted. I am highly skeptical that Sherrod Brown can succeed there as HC, especially after seeing him in action as acting HC last season.

Harbaugh leaving one stop ahead of the reaper is devastating for them.

I don’t see 6 losses on that schedule.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
The roster is far from depleted. It is just young at many spots.

If it’s not depleted, it’s not “far” from it.

Phil Steele’s national unit rankings only go to 69. So of the Pitt units he has as being a Top 69 unit:

RB at 68
OL at 52
DL at 47
DB at 62

Everything else is unranked.

So the highest ranking unit according to one of the more nationally respected guys, is 47.

Now he could be wrong here and there. But that’s pretty close to depleted if it’s not depleted.

This year's Pitt roster is as depleted as it's been since Chryst took over, and we are breaking in a new offense with basically MAC-level personnel. The relatively high expectations for Yarnell have almost no real world basis. After all, he was the last QB off the bench last year in a historically terrible QB room.

Defensively we lost a bunch of key personnel from a group that struggled last season.

Hard to see this season being any better than last.

I think it’s hard to see the team becoming legitimately good in some analytic power poll that’s just looking at quality of play.

But do you think it’s impossible the team plays at like a 60-ish level in the analytics?

And while that isn’t good. That basically puts you at the level of 2023 GT, Northwestern, Fresno State, and Cal. All of which won 7 games.

Pitt finished 84th in F+ power poll ranking. So pretty horrible. But 84 to 60 isn’t some insane jump. And 60-ish level teams frequently win 7 games. You don’t have to be that good to get there.

Phil Steele’s national unit rankings only go to 69. So of the Pitt units he has as being a Top 69 unit:

RB at 68
OL at 52
DL at 47
DB at 62

So the highest ranking unit according to one of the more nationally respected guys, is 47.

Now he could be wrong here and there. But that’s pretty close to depleted if it’s not depleted.
So you can choose to believe Steele. I choose to believe my own eyes. I don't believe in appealing to authority.

RB at 68
OL at 52
DL at 47
DB at 62

look how far we have come

The roster is far from depleted. It is just young at many spots.

The line between "young" and "inept" is probably as blurred as ever in college football due to the transfer portal, etc. It's not quite as bad as basketball, but in some ways you really have to do look at each individual season more so than the program as a whole.

It's definitely possible that guys like Brewu, Whittington, Neal, Edwards, etc. could be studs in the making. But will they be studs this season? Well, that's asking a lot from d-linemen who are that young. Kancey was a 1st round pick, and what was he doing in 2020? Flashing here and there, yeah, but it wasn't like he was some every-down force inside. And he wasn't doing anything but redshirting in 2019.

And beyond that, of course, is the fact that there is also no guarantee those guys even are the real deal. We've seen plenty of recent highly-ranked guys we thought were the real deal until they weren't.

So you can choose to believe Steele. I choose to believe my own eyes. I don't believe in appealing to authority.

You aren’t choosing to believe your eyes. Your argument is these players are young. Which means they are largely unknown? How much eyes have you got on them?

And I’m not “appealing to authority.” This isn’t an LSAT prep course.

What I’m saying is, people that are able to step back or aren’t emotionally vested, all have things pretty depleted. So it can’t just be the “doom and gloomers” like you are claiming.

You probably should wait for actual play to begin before jumping to conclusions based on preseason predictions from (ahem) "experts".

Do you have to wait for the actual play to begin before arguing the units aren’t depleted, they are just young?

The line between "young" and "inept" is probably as blurred as ever in college football due to the transfer portal, etc. It's not quite as bad as basketball, but in some ways you really have to do look at each individual season more so than the program as a whole.

It's definitely possible that guys like Brewu, Whittington, Neal, Edwards, etc. could be studs in the making. But will they be studs this season? Well, that's asking a lot from d-linemen who are that young. Kancey was a 1st round pick, and what was he doing in 2020? Flashing here and there, yeah, but it wasn't like he was some every-down force inside. And he wasn't doing anything but redshirting in 2019.

And beyond that, of course, is the fact that there is also no guarantee those guys even are the real deal. We've seen plenty of recent highly-ranked guys we thought were the real deal until they weren't.
Its a choice to be optimistic or pessimistic. We always know what your choice is.

You aren’t choosing to believe your eyes. Your argument is these players are young. Which means they are largely unknown? How much eyes have you got on them?

And I’m not “appealing to authority.” This isn’t an LSAT prep course.

What I’m saying is, people that are able to step back or aren’t emotionally vested, all have things pretty depleted. So it can’t just be the “doom and gloomers” like you are claiming.
You appealed to authority when you used Phil Steele as your source. That is not even arguable.

I'll repeat. Things are not as depleted as you keep claiming.

That was last 2023. Its now 2024. Its a different team.

Its too bad that you don't know that.

Yeah, good point. The fact that we cleared out all those players from last year and have a completely different roster this year, and not only completely different, but all guys who were starting at good programs last year, is a good sign.

Wait a second....

Yeah, good point. The fact that we cleared out all those players from last year and have a completely different roster this year, and not only completely different, but all guys who were starting at good programs last year, is a good sign.

Wait a second....
We cleared 2 QBs. That is enough.

Look, be a pessimist. Its your prerogative. You won't bring me down and you won't convince to join your side. I stand by what I said.

Different people, different rules.

It’s also such a boring argument for a football message board.

“Why don’t you doomers just shut up and let the season play out before discussing your view of the upcoming football team???”

I don’t understand what the point of this board would be? We all just sign off and come back in December?

No.
You dont understand the concept of appeal to authority
Seemingly, you don't:

An appeal to authority is a form of argumentation in which the speaker attempts to persuade the audience by appealing to the authority or prestige of the person or organization making a claim

Reactions: Parkview57
It’s also such a boring argument for a football message board.

“Why don’t you doomers just shut up and let the season play out before discussing your view of the upcoming football team???”

I don’t understand what the point of this board would be? We all just sign off and come back in December?
Where did I tell you to shut up? I simply provided a counterpoint.

Seemingly, you don't:

An appeal to authority is a form of argumentation in which the speaker attempts to persuade the audience by appealing to the authority or prestige of the person or organization making a claim

That’s not what I did. I’m not appealing to the “authority” of Phil Steele.

I’m appealing to him being neither a Pitt fan or Pitt hater. Just a national guy.

Where did I tell you to shut up? I simply provided a counterpoint.

You’ve jumped in this thread telling people who have a pretty reasonable take that they are “prophets of doom” and people should let the season play out *before* they make any statements about the state of the team.

But you’re right. You’re not saying, “would you haters just shut up with your doom and gloom until the season plays out.”

Look, be a pessimist. Its your prerogative. You won't bring me down and you won't convince to join your side. I stand by what I said.

Is this how you talk in real life?
“Appeal to authority!” “I can’t be turned! I’m standing by my beliefs!”

Bruhhhhh. This isn’t 12 Angry Men. We aren’t trying to get you to join our side for some important vote. Nobody is trying to get you to do anything.

It’s just people having a discussion in the offseason about an upcoming season. Grab a smoke and relaxxxxx.

That’s not what I did. I’m not appealing to the “authority” of Phil Steele.

I’m appealing to him being neither a Pitt fan or Pitt hater. Just a national guy.
That's exactly what you did. You put forward someone you see as an expert to justify your opinion.

You’ve jumped in this thread telling people who have a pretty reasonable take that they are “prophets of doom” and people should let the season play out *before* they make any statements about the state of the team.

But you’re right. You’re not saying, “would you haters just shut up with your doom and gloom until the season plays out.”
Yep. You think that pessimists have a reasonable take. I don't and I state that.

Is this how you talk in real life?
“Appeal to authority!” “I can’t be turned! I’m standing by my beliefs!”

Bruhhhhh. This isn’t 12 Angry Men. We aren’t trying to get you to join our side for some important vote. Nobody is trying to get you to do anything.

It’s just people having a discussion in the offseason about an upcoming season. Grab a smoke and relaxxxxx.
I'm perfectly relaxed. You're the one who seems to be uptight. Arguing with me means that you disagree and either are trying to convince me or yourself that you're right.

I don't smoke.

I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. But I can understand why someone who looks at this team only through blue and gold colored glasses might think that.

As to the two quarterbacks, yeah, we got rid of those two guys who were certainly partly responsible for last season's dismal performance. And now we get to see if our coaching staff was correct in their thoughts that the guy we are going to play this year was actually worse than both of them.

I am sure that we'd all love for them to be wrong. But we probably ought to not think too much about what it would mean if it turns out that they were.

Are those trained eyes of yours seeing the P5 talent and depth level on this team where others are not?

The roster isn't just "young"--it's thin and under-talented, by any objective measure.

I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. But I can understand why someone who looks at this team only through blue and gold colored glasses might think that.

As to the two quarterbacks, yeah, we got rid of those two guys who were certainly partly responsible for last season's dismal performance. And now we get to see if our coaching staff was correct in their thoughts that the guy we are going to play this year was actually worse than both of them.

I am sure that we'd all love for them to be wrong. But we probably ought to not think too much about what it would mean if it turns out that they were.
The coaching staff that put Yarnell 3rd is gone.

Besides that, there is no guarantee that Yarnell is the starter.

Are those trained eyes of yours seeing the P5 talent and depth level on this team where others are not?

The roster isn't just "young"--it's thin and under-talented, by any objective measure.
LOL.

What "objective" measure are you using? None such exists until the games are played.

Pitt is a total unknown. Last year, they couldn’t throw the ball and were horrible on third down. Basically the opposite of Cade Bell’s offense at Western Carolina.

I think Pitt has the talent to put up numbers. We return 4 of 5 OL. Nate Yarnell is an accurate thrower. Williams and Lee are experienced in Bell’s offense and Mumpfield has a ton of speed. Hammond should physically be able to hold up better in this offense. And Bartholomew is an above average P5 tight end.

Reactions: FireballZ
Pitt is a total unknown. Last year, they couldn’t throw the ball and were horrible on third down. Basically the opposite of Cade Bell’s offense at Western Carolina.

I think Pitt has the talent to put up numbers. We return 4 of 5 OL. Nate Yarnell is an accurate thrower. Williams and Lee are experienced in Bell’s offense and Mumpfield has a ton of speed. Hammond should physically be able to hold up better in this offense. And Bartholomew is an above average P5 tight end.

Everyone on this board: "Kedon Slovis sucked. Phil Jurkovec sucked. Christian Veilleux sucked."

Pitt coaches: Had Nate Yarnell behind all of them.

It's ill-advised to pencil him in as anything but a question mark at this point.

Everyone on this board: "Kedon Slovis sucked. Phil Jurkovec sucked. Christian Veilleux sucked."

Pitt coaches: Had Nate Yarnell behind all of them.

It's ill-advised to pencil him in as anything but a question mark at this point.
Pitt coaches: fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT