ADVERTISEMENT

Bartholomew on some 1st/2nd Round Mocks

We'll see next year how much the issue was the QB vs. the offense and play calling. I think I know, but some here still need to find out.

We should be throwing the ball to him no matter what arbitrary list. We will see in a few months whether it was Slovis incapable of finding him, or really anyone other than Wayne (which I’ve concluded was most of the case)…or Cig.

I’m not the biggest Cig fan but after reflection on the season, I’m willing to bet that Cig was driven at least as crazy by Slovis as we were, but Duz wouldn’t lift the guy, perhaps haunted by having to replace Browne with Da Nooch.

But I expect better use of this guy, heck all of our skill guys, now that we have a QB that Cig has proven success coaching. If we don’t, they need to dump Cig, because it would prove he is tragically clueless about one of the best weapons (the stud receiving TE) in football in this era.

We should be throwing the ball to him no matter what arbitrary list. We will see in a few months whether it was Slovis incapable of finding him, or really anyone other than Wayne (which I’ve concluded was most of the case)…or Cig.

I’m not the biggest Cig fan but after reflection on the season, I’m willing to bet that Cig was driven at least as crazy by Slovis as we were, but Duz wouldn’t lift the guy, perhaps haunted by having to replace Browne with Da Nooch.

But I expect better use of this guy, heck all of our skill guys, now that we have a QB that Cig has proven success coaching. If we don’t, they need to dump Cig, because it would prove he is tragically clueless about one of the best weapons (the stud receiving TE) in football in this era.

If he couldn't run the offense he wanted with Slovis, then Slovis shouldn't have been in there, imo.

If he's mocked as a 1st rounder, the Steelers should trade all of their picks next year for players/picks.. not really worth drafting if he's that high up in the draft.

Reactions: singregardless
im not sure about any "way too early" 2024 mock drafts but i did find him in a list of top 50 players for '24 draft, so maybe SMF is right.. if you are #45, that's second rd..

who are we to question some kid just about to have mom bring down his chicken nuggets within the realm of his profotballnetwork.com (sounds very official) basement kingdom

who are we to question some kid just about to have mom bring down his chicken nuggets within the realm of his profotballnetwork.com basement kingdom
lol, well i have no idea if they are legit or not. i too think Bartholomew being a top 50 player in '24 draft is ridiculously high..

he has yet to actually show he can be a real tight end. his success has been as an H back, catching dump offs and check downs..

As of now, i'd compare his "ceiing" as someone like a Conner Heyward in the nfl. And Heyward was a 7th rd pick and only that because the steelers were doing a solid for his brother..

Reactions: jctrack
lol, well i have no idea if they are legit or not. i too think Bartholomew being a top 50 player in '24 draft is ridiculously high..

he has yet to actually show he can be a real tight end. his success has been as an H back, catching dump offs and check downs..

As of now, i'd compare his "ceiing" as someone like a Conner Heyward in the nfl. And Heyward was a 7th rd pick and only that because the steelers were doing a solid for his brother..
well, I just looked at a ranking of NFL info websites and they are listed in the top 20 or so, so I stand corrected.....unless, of course, some nugget eating kid did that ranking..

Heyward is a good comparison because he is about the same size. Don't see Bartholomew improving enough to come out next year. Would sure help if he put on a few pounds.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Heyward is a good comparison because he is about the same size. Don't see Bartholomew improving enough to come out next year. Would sure help if he put on a few pounds.
cignetti needs to figure out Bartholomew quick. He is a talent. If he can only succeed in that h back role then you use him in that and create some plays/packages for him. Especially with our WR depth, he needs to be prioritized..

If they believe he can be an "in line" tight end then ok, show us. because last year was basically a wasted year for him. I know he was injured for some games but still..

I agree with what you say but that still makes him a formidable weapon, at least in the most effective offenses today. We should take more advantage of him, or any other player we have or can obtain who can play the spot.

I think WPA types like us, influenced(too much) by the Steelers, have too much of a stereotype that the quintessential Tight End must still be a Heath Miller, Mark Bruener type — block first, second, third and then maybe get some passes get thrown your way. Muth LOOKS like such a guy (though does he block at all worth a dam?) so Pgh loves him too .

We are likewise suspicious when the Steelers tried someone like Vance McDonald (who I think Bart parallels in some ways), because VM was kind of a choker when it came to catching the ball at key times. “Those kinds of guys don’t work for us.” we conclude. But they work really well for most other effective teams. And as gratuitous as the C. Hayward pick certainly was, he DID show the playmaking potential of the H Back late in the season. I’d like to see similar with Bart.

cignetti needs to figure out Bartholomew quick. He is a talent. If he can only succeed in that h back role then you use him in that and create some plays/packages for him. Especially with our WR depth, he needs to be prioritized..

If they believe he can be an "in line" tight end then ok, show us. because last year was basically a wasted year for him. I know he was injured for some games but still..
I think it was tough to get the ball to Bartholomew because they didn't trust anyone enough to throw over the middle consistently. I honestly think he would look better lined up in the slot.

I think it was tough to get the ball to Bartholomew because they didn't trust anyone enough to throw over the middle consistently. I honestly think he would look better lined up in the slot.
Right. Minus some wideouts the Ravens use their gifted TE in non-traditional looks. Bart needs to work on his hands tho.

Reactions: pbrad and pittdan77
Isn't Barth much bigger? Heyward is not that big, I believe he was a running back for parts of college.

im not sure about any "way too early" 2024 mock drafts but i did find him in a list of top 50 players for '24 draft, so maybe SMF is right.. if you are #45, that's second rd..

Written in September when he had some big plays and remembering what he did in 2021. Between his lack of production and injuries, he won't be on any top-50 lists entering this season.

Literally zero chance Barth is a first rounder. Less than 5% chance he’s a second rounder. No matter what his production this season, he just doesn’t have the kind of talent that gets a TE drafted that high.

I still want to know how he got so slow? I mean, I assume he had speed in high school when colleges checked on him.
When Shady got an official time like legit it was at the US Army All Star Combine. Shady ran 4.75 electronic.

I'm willing to bet Ford never ran an electronic time.

But, just speaking of 40's. I coached a kid who plays in the SEC in the now who had 30 offers prior to his senior year and he never once ran a 40 in front of a college or combine. No one cared. They just pushed play on his tape. When we went on campus they just did measurements - height/weight/wingspan etc..

Is Bart better then Orndoff? Athletically they seem similar.
oh man, i think Orndoff was a much better actual Tight end. Again, we've only seen Bartholomew succeed in an H back role though. i think Bart is more athletic with the ball in his hands though.

Is Bart better then Orndoff? Athletically they seem similar.
Hard to say given the different offenses they played in, different QBs and different positional uses, but my eyeball response to that is that Ordnoff ran better and was faster than Barth. Canada used him down the deep middle of the field a ton and he did a lot of his damage there.

Hopefully Cig and The Jurk get Barth more involved in the offense and in more various ways than what we saw last year.

He's really not. Heyward is lucky if he's 6' tall and only weighs about 230. He started out as a tailback at MSU before his lack of speed relegated him to FB, then H back.

Barth is 6'5, 260 and has natural TE size and length.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
oh man, i think Orndoff was a much better actual Tight end. Again, we've only seen Bartholomew succeed in an H back role though. i think Bart is more athletic with the ball in his hands though.
I thought Bartholomew was successful as a blocking TE member of the O line this season.

Barth is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier. He’s built like an NFL TE. Heyward is built like a fullback. They’re very different types of players. Not sure where this comparison is coming from.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Barth is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier. He’s built like an NFL TE. Heyward is built like a fullback. They’re very different types of players. Not sure where this comparison is coming from.
Agreed. I saw him more as Vance McDonald if a Steeler comparison was needed.

I love Barth, but too many drops this past season. He was much better the prvious season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT