ADVERTISEMENT

@bballinsiderfromPitt California

Nearby Santa Monica has taken a downturn over the years but damn it is incredible there. Good luck.
I lived in Santa Monica from 1981 until I moved to Barcelona in 2022. It hardly has taken a downturn as that term usually is defined.

There are things that bothered me there, but many people wouldn’t consider them negatives: They increased height limits and floor area ratios in commercial areas, particularly on Wilshire Blvd. The city already has a traffic problem and this will make it worse.

I was Chairperson of Mid-City Neighbors for a number of years, a neighborhood citizens group, and we got a lot of commercial projects killed or reduced significantly in size by the city council. The council now doesn’t even get to consider a project unless it exceeds the new limits.

They also reduced the required setbacks between homes and between houses and the front and back property lines. Now you can build a house on a small lot that is so big that if you and your neighbor both open your windows at the same time you can reach over and shake hands. Some people call that progress. I don’t.

People are paying $1.8 Miilion to buy 2 bedroom, 1 bath houses that were built for McDonnell Douglas WW II defense workers, tearing them down and building $3 Million boxes on the lots. Santa Monica is very much in demand.

My house had its first open house on a Sunday. It was in escrow the next Friday at $50,000 over the asking price. It sold for almost 7 times what I paid for it. Hardly a sign that the city is going downhill.

It’s not Malibu, although they share a school district. But, it is a very upscale city becoming more upscale, not less.

Pepperdine has a beautiful campus. I would argue that UC Santa Cruz is nicer, but both are magnificent. The education leaves something to be desired though.

I lived in Santa Monica from 1981 until I moved to Barcelona in 2022. It hardly has taken a downturn as that term usually is defined.

There are things that bothered me there, but many people wouldn’t consider them negatives: They increased height limits and floor area ratios in commercial areas, particularly on Wilshire Blvd. The city already has a traffic problem and this will make it worse.

I was Chairperson of Mid-City Neighbors for a number of years, a neighborhood citizens group, and we got a lot of commercial projects killed or reduced significantly in size by the city council. The council now doesn’t even get to consider a project unless it exceeds the new limits.

They also reduced the required setbacks between homes and between houses and the front and back property lines. Now you can build a house on a small lot that is so big that if you and your neighbor both open your windows at the same time you can reach over and shake hands. Some people call that progress. I don’t.

People are paying $1.8 Miilion to buy 2 bedroom, 1 bath houses that were built for McDonnell Douglas WW II defense workers, tearing them down and building $3 Million boxes on the lots. Santa Monica is very much in demand.

My house had its first open house on a Sunday. It was in escrow the next Friday at $50,000 over the asking price. It sold for almost 7 times what I paid for it. Hardly a sign that the city is going downhill.

It’s not Malibu, although they share a school district. But, it is a very upscale city becoming more upscale, not less.

Pepperdine has a beautiful campus. I would argue that UC Santa Cruz is nicer, but both are magnificent. The education leaves something to be desired though.

Was in Santa Monica over the summer. There were a fair number of homeless folks on that grassy area before the beach but they didn't bother anyone. Homelessness is an issue in California. Beyond "seeing" homeless people, Santa Monica was outstanding.

Was in Santa Monica over the summer. There were a fair number of homeless folks on that grassy area before the beach but they didn't bother anyone. Homelessness is an issue in California. Beyond "seeing" homeless people, Santa Monica was outstanding.
Congratulations on seeing homeless people. They didn't bother you. Did you never see homeless people standing next to you with a bag foll of money, more than you collected. Seriously, you are a rotten person who has to butt ito everything with total BS. And I've seen rotten people. You are number 1. Congrats again.

Oh man. I used to spend time at UC Santa Cruz. Played a lot of beach volleyball there in the summers. To each their own but I think Pepperdine is much nicer than UC Santa Cruz. But maybe I couldn’t get past all the dirty hippies who seemed to comprise of the entire student body.

Oh man. I used to spend time at UC Santa Cruz. Played a lot of beach volleyball there in the summers. To each their own but I think Pepperdine is much nicer than UC Santa Cruz. But maybe I couldn’t get past all the dirty hippies who seemed to comprise of the entire student body.
Santa Cruz is a beautiful town in a beautiful place, but man.....there's a reason they filmed Lost Boys there 40 years ago--and it''s a lot worse now. Talk about an underbelly, and there is no avoiding it. Tons of aggressive homeless drug addicts all over the place. And in Santa Cruz, they don't leave you alone.

Congrats. Beautiful campus overlooking the Ocean, not a bad place to work/live.
When I was living in Texas we had college nite at the local High School. The school graduated about 1600 students that year. Pitt used to have a program call PART ( Pitt Alumni Recruiting Team). The school lined up the tables alphabetically. So I was pretty close to the Pepperdine table. That table was extremely busy and I didn’t understand why. I later walked over to investigate and their brochure had a photograph overlooking the ocean—-I understood the reason for their popularity.

When I was living in Texas we had college nite at the local High School. The school graduated about 1600 students that year. Pitt used to have a program call PART ( Pitt Alumni Recruiting Team). The school lined up the tables alphabetically. So I was pretty close to the Pepperdine table. That table was extremely busy and I didn’t understand why. I later walked over to investigate and their brochure had a photograph overlooking the ocean—-I understood the reason for their popularity.
That conference has a number of beautiful campuses. San Diego is a really really nice campus. Have not seen LMU but heard it’s also great

Sorry about that. I would say that, as a periodic visitor, it has changed. Third street promenade had quite a few closed and empty shops. Even stopping up at St. Monica’s, I was surprised to see a few homeless camped across the street. I always understood why there has always been homeless at California beaches because it’s so beautiful and temperate. But recently it has increased like everywhere else.

Reactions: FireballZ
A big reason the homeless population has increased is law enforcement in other areas rounding them up and buying them one-way bus tickets to Santa Monica and other California cities. An estimated 25% of the homeless population got there that way. Increased crime has not really been a significant problem except for a minority of hysterical residents like every city has, and except for homeless on homeless crime it’s mainly petty stuff. The city has enough available centers to house most of the homeless but some of them simply refuse to sleep in shelters.

As for the Promenade, the turnover there is primarily caused by rent increases. The area has gotten so lucrative that landlords raise rents and force non-productive stores out. Santa Monica has tried to curb that by requiring minimum percentages of certain retail establishments in the mall.

For example, restaurants, no matter how successful, don’t generate revenues nearly as high as clothing stores. Landlords were raising rents so high that restaurants were forced out. There used to be at least twice as many places to eat on the Promenade. Most of them lost their leases. The City passed an ordinance requiring a certain minimum square feet of retail space per block to be dedicated to eating spaces. That has caused some slowdown in leasing space as landlords try to find restaurants that have enough revenue to be profitable there. Schwarzenegger is trying to put an investment group together to open a Jewish deli there like the one that was his main haunt when he first moved to the area. In the meantime, many restaurants have reopened on 4th Street, one block away, including relatively high-end places like Border Grill and one of Wolfgang Puck’s restaurants. 4th Street used to be known for its pawn shops.

Reactions: TheChair
A big reason the homeless population has increased is law enforcement in other areas rounding them up and buying them one-way bus tickets to Santa Monica and other California cities. An estimated 25% of the homeless population got there that way. Increased crime has not really been a significant problem except for a minority of hysterical residents like every city has, and except for homeless on homeless crime it’s mainly petty stuff. The city has enough available centers to house most of the homeless but some of them simply refuse to sleep in shelters.

As for the Promenade, the turnover there is primarily caused by rent increases. The area has gotten so lucrative that landlords raise rents and force non-productive stores out. Santa Monica has tried to curb that by requiring minimum percentages of certain retail establishments in the mall.

For example, restaurants, no matter how successful, don’t generate revenues nearly as high as clothing stores. Landlords were raising rents so high that restaurants were forced out. There used to be at least twice as many places to eat on the Promenade. Most of them lost their leases. The City passed an ordinance requiring a certain minimum square feet of retail space per block to be dedicated to eating spaces. That has caused some slowdown in leasing space as landlords try to find restaurants that have enough revenue to be profitable there. Schwarzenegger is trying to put an investment group together to open a Jewish deli there like the one that was his main haunt when he first moved to the area. In the meantime, many restaurants have reopened on 4th Street, one block away, including relatively high-end places like Border Grill and one of Wolfgang Puck’s restaurants. 4th Street used to be known for its pawn shops.Thats

Thats crazy. I used to enjoy the promenade but last time we went it was desolate. Thanks for the tip on 4th street.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT