ADVERTISEMENT

Beer or fruit punch

Cap pitt

Junior
Jul 20, 2014
this has come up before, a while ago, but, Is what Chris promotes on the podcasts really beer or are they fruit punches? I go back a long way through the 70's, what ever happened to iron city, (ic lite) Miller, (genuine draft), Budweiser, stroh's, Heineken, lowenbrau, to name a few. It seems to me, that the drinks that Chris drinks on the show are more of a fruit punch, I really don't know what's out there anymore. I have not had a drop of alcohol in over 17 years I guess things have changed over the years, the new generation

Seem to mostly be ales. These brews are made by the same process beer is made. Generally (usually) they have higher alcohol content than the brews you mentioned from the old days. Can be as high as 10-12 % alcohol but more usually in the 5-7 % range. This compares to old time beers rarely exceeding 3.8 to 4.? % Light beers might only be only 3.2%. These “boutique” brews also have stronger flavors than old time run of the mill beers. They taste more like the kinds of brews you would find on tap in a British Pub.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyebugs
Some of the ales - typically IPAs - are infused with fruits. Mostly citrus.

And now sours and tart shakes are gaining in popularity. I believe they use all kinds of different fruits. Beers of today aren’t our daddys’ Imperial and Iron shot and a beer.

Trappist monks have been brewing with fruit, flowers, honey and other stuff for hundreds of years. The beers that you mentioned all derived from the Bavarian lager, which by law were not allowed to include anything but water, grain, yeast and hops.

The proliferation of the latter style in the US probably had to do with preference among immigrants. But also because the simplified recipes made them easier and cheaper to produce en masse. The longer shelf life also allows for wider distribution.

With the rise of interest in the craft of brewing, brewers have renewed interest in things like fruited sours as a means of differentiation. The localized direct to consumer structure has allowed them to produce them without the margin or delivery time of distributors.

Believe there was also a public taste acquired for lighter less flavorful brews during prohibition that lingered for many decades.

Once the art of brewing grew to levels that compete and even taste better than the national or super regional beers the game was over! There are so many options that you can't go wrong by just trying new beverages out all the time.

Reactions: TFBaum and Fk_Pitt
I grew up seeing my Dad with a Budweiser in his hand every night, sometimes while even driving!

now I haven’t seen him drink a Budweiser in 25 years. Life is too short and there are so many new options out there to stick with just one.

drinking an American lager every day and nothing but that American lager is the same as eating white bread and nothing but white bread. Live a little!!

Reactions: TFBaum
I think distribution really had the greatest impact in shaping the American idea of beer. That Budweiser is the most ubiquitous American beer has less to do with the product and more to do with AB’s vertical integration into distribution. They weren’t just the first to use refrigeration in their train cars, they owned and operated a railroad to run them. Even today they have a network of wholesale and distribution. That gave them awareness as the first national brewery. For years that allowed them to dictate terms to retailers.

Many craft breweries can now sell direct to the consumer without surrendering margins or creative control to a distributor. Many focus on things like milkshake IPAs and fruited sours because those grab attention. But because they don’t have long shelf life, macros can’t compete there. It also broadens their tap list to appeal to customers that aren’t “traditional beer” drinkers.

Reactions: pittdan77
Call me a pansy but I like a good Mike’s Hard Lemonade, Smirnoff Ice or Jack Daniels Berry Punch in my old age. Tastes good and I can still get a buzz.

I am amused that these newer beers and drinks are considered to be less manly than drinking terrible beer. I marvel at how much Keystone Lite that my local Sheetz sells. Why?
I’m always up for trying new stuff, but that keystone light raspberry lime (I think that’s what it is) is terrible.

I’m always up for trying new stuff, but that keystone light raspberry lime (I think that’s what it is) is terrible.

Well, this is just straight Keystone Lite. Gross.

IC Lite Mango isn’t bad. Goes down so easily when you’re hot and sweaty. I’m a big Blue Moon fan.

Not sure who knows this but in France, at least near Strausburg, it’s common to see guys drop almond flavored liquor into their beer. Not a new thing at all.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

IC Lite Mango isn’t bad. Goes down so easily when you’re hot and sweaty. I’m a big Blue Moon fan.

Not sure who knows this but in France, at least near Strausburg, it’s common to see guys drop almond flavored liquor into their beer. Not a new thing at all.
This is the time of year that I have no problem drinking a bud light lime or something similar. Just that raspberry lime stuff was like cough syrup.

Yep, and if you go hiking in the alps in the summer you will find plenty of Germans drinking a Radler, which is a refreshing shandy mix of beer and lemonade.

this has come up before, a while ago, but, Is what Chris promotes on the podcasts really beer or are they fruit punches? I go back a long way through the 70's, what ever happened to iron city, (ic lite) Miller, (genuine draft), Budweiser, stroh's, Heineken, lowenbrau, to name a few. It seems to me, that the drinks that Chris drinks on the show are more of a fruit punch, I really don't know what's out there anymore. I have not had a drop of alcohol in over 17 years I guess things have changed over the years, the new generation

I recall (but never drank) from the 60s or 70s an Iron City beer called Hoppin'Gator, at least I remember Bob Prince on the commercials. I believe it was a citrus flavored beer. I wonder if it was an ale or IPA or lager? Anyone remember it?

I recall (but never drank) from the 60s or 70s an Iron City beer called Hoppin'Gator, at least I remember Bob Prince on the commercials. I believe it was a citrus flavored beer. I wonder if it was an ale or IPA or lager? Anyone remember it?

Oops never mind. Doc Google tells me it was a lemon-lime flavored lager. But the story gets interesting. The Pittsburg Brewing Company targeted the brew at young people and was accused of targeting it at African Americans but not hiring them for the sales force and got in trouble with the NAACP. The more things change...

Way before my time but I’m intrigued by that one.

This is the time of year that I have no problem drinking a bud light lime or something similar. Just that raspberry lime stuff was like cough syrup.

I’ll honestly try anything you put under my nose. I’ll try anything someone suggests.

The Irish bar on the south side that serves food in the back. They do some blended beers that are amazing.

I am amused that these newer beers and drinks are considered to be less manly than drinking terrible beer. I marvel at how much Keystone Lite that my local Sheetz sells. Why?

Agreed. They add much stronger than the old beer, so not sure where the thought is it’s “fruit punch”. IPA’s are not close to that and not easy drinking if you don’t like beer or Especially hoppy beer. Most women hate IPAs but will easily drink your usual domestic beers that have been around for years.

Most craft drinkers consider the old regular beers to be basically like water.

I enjoy both depending on the day.

I’ll honestly try anything you put under my nose. I’ll try anything someone suggests.

The Irish bar on the south side that serves food in the back. They do some blended beers that are amazing.

If you haven’t already then try some of the local breweries. Brew Gentlemen, Insurrection, Dancing Gnome, Hitchhiker, Roundabout, Grist House, Cinderlands and 11th hour to name a few. But you almost can’t go wrong with any of them. I may have forgotten a few but IMO those are the cream of the crop.

If you haven’t already then try some of the local breweries. Brew Gentlemen, Insurrection, Dancing Gnome, Hitchhiker, Roundabout, Grist House, Cinderlands and 11th hour to name a few. But you almost can’t go wrong with any of them. I may have forgotten a few but IMO those are the cream of the crop.

Any chance I get, I will. But everyone should drink what they enjoy. Screw the macho nonsense.

Reactions: Parkview57
Any chance I get, I will. But everyone should drink what they enjoy. Screw the macho nonsense.

No question about that. I’m done with the Miller and Coors light myself. Anything non craft really. But I don’t dump on anyone who enjoys it. Seltzers, ciders, whatever. Some of those places have things I wouldn’t drink. I know I wouldn’t like them. But I hope others do. The more who like what they offer the more likely they’ll stick around.

All good choices
I also like East end

No question about that. I’m done with the Miller and Coors light myself. Anything non craft really. But I don’t dump on anyone who enjoys it. Seltzers, ciders, whatever. Some of those places have things I wouldn’t drink. I know I wouldn’t like them. But I hope others do. The more who like what they offer the more likely they’ll stick around.
You know what’s funny
Had a modela and corona at my parents and it hit the spot on a hot day .

Some of the ales - typically IPAs - are infused with fruits. Mostly citrus.

And now sours and tart shakes are gaining in popularity. I believe they use all kinds of different fruits. Beers of today aren’t our daddys’ Imperial and Iron shot and a beer.

The origin of IPAs was aging of British ales in oak casks in the holds of East India Company sailing ships sailing from England to India. The oak imparted a citrus-like flavor to the ale in transit which people developed a liking for over time. Eventually the ale began to be aged intentionally in oak storage.

“Back in the day” of typical american light beer being the common thing, the Ballantine beer company brewed and aged for a year in oak barrels a true IPA. It was available mainly in the NYC-NJ area in extremely limited quantities and sold in very very few outlets and bars. Regular Ballantine ale came in green bottles with a white label. The IPA came in the same green bottles but with a black label. The IPA among the few who favored it was known as being “dangerous” due to its high alcohol content.

The origin of IPAs was aging of British ales in oak casks in the holds of East India Company sailing ships sailing from England to India. The oak imparted a citrus-like flavor to the ale in transit which people developed a liking for over time. Eventually the ale began to be aged intentionally in oak storage.

“Back in the day” of typical american light beer being the common thing, the Ballantine beer company brewed and aged for a year in oak barrels a true IPA. It was available mainly in the NYC-NJ area in extremely limited quantities and sold in very very few outlets and bars. Regular Ballantine ale came in green bottles with a white label. The IPA came in the same green bottles but with a black label. The IPA among the few who favored it was known as being “dangerous” due to its high alcohol content.

It wasn’t the oak casks, it was the additional hops. Allegedly the British brewers were told that adding additional hops would serve as a preservative. That imparted a stronger flavor.

Regular Iron City is a pretty good Bier now.

My German relatives agree.

It is in my Bier fridge, right next to the Spaten and Hofbrau.

Reactions: LVNVPanther
Lawnmower beer: Stoneys light, stoneys, iron Rolling rock
Feeling yuppie: hefenweizen , ipa, or blue moon Or a sampler Of 6 minis from the local brewhouse.
Never: Bud, Miller, heineken, grolsch, stella—They taste afwul to me

out of left field: hard cider at Thanksgiving.

worst ever: Leiningkugel’s grapefruit summer shandy. Tried one and poured five down the sink. Never threw a beer out in my life.

Last edited:
Lawnmower beer: Stoneys light, stoneys, iron Rolling rock
Feeling yuppie: hefenweizen , ipa, or blue moon Or a sampler Of 6 minis from the local brewhouse.
Never: Bud, Miller, heineken, grolsch, stella—They taste afwul to me

out of left field: hard cider at Thanksgiving.

worst ever: Leiningkugel’s grapefruit summer shandy. Tried one and poured five down the sink. Never threw a beer out in my life.

A funny thing I’ve encountered with Heineken is that it tastes way better in Europe than it does here. When we were in high school the fancy kids drank Heineken and it always tasted skunked to me. But over in Europe it’s been good. It’s never our first choice but it’s not bad.

Reactions: Parkview57
I tried a Keystone Light, and thought it tasted exactly like a Coors Light. I assumed it was the same brew, just targeted for a different customer.

Of course I have no way to prove that, but I swear they were the same beer.

Fun Fact: In a former career I used to get to tour many manufacturing facilities, and the Coors bottling plant in Virginia was the dirtiest plant I ever visited in the US. The Virgin Islands rum plants were the only ones that I saw that were nastier.

I was in hog processing plants that were cleaner than the Coors bottling plant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT