ADVERTISEMENT

Boston College Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Those of who have been Pitt Hoops fans for longer hauls often lament of the days of the Big East gone by.

** And I’m not even talking about the epic battles of the Panthers and the Huskies of 15 and 20 years ago. Instead, I’m talking of the days of Rollie and Louie and Patrick and Chris and Pearl.

** So much has changed since then that it’s pretty hard to realize that our only conference connections left to those days are the Orange and Boston College.

** The Eagles have trotted out a pretty long list of great players to get the best of our Panthers over the years. Names like John Garris, Jay Murphy, Dana Barros, Danya Abrams, Troy Bell and Craig Smith.

** Although the Panthers have had the better of BC in the past 20+ years, there haven’t been too many times they have put a whooping on the Eagles like they did tonight.

** OK, there was the 22 point whooping we dropped on #5 BC in Conte Forum in 2005, but I digress.

** Still, tonight our Panthers followed up a solid but tough road loss at Clemson with as stellar of road win against our long time former Big East foe as you could possibly expect.

** I don’t think many of the Panther Hoops faithful lost their faith that we’ve got a pretty good basketball team after our tough Tuesday battle against the Tigers. But speaking for myself, I lost some faith that this year’s edition could claw their way into the NCAA Tournament. It wasn’t the quality of our team that was the problem. It was more that math of the metrics.

** Nonetheless, after missing the magical “Quad 1 win” on Tuesday, we followed up with a “Quad 2 win” by a Panther squad who left the court looking every bit the part of a team who belongs in the NCAA Tournament.

** In fact, it was a pretty glorious 25 point thumping despite an offensive output by Quentin Post that would have made Garris, Abrams or Smith proud.

** I wouldn’t say it was by design, but it was almost as if the Panthers knew they could guard everyone else, so there was little concern with how many Post would post.

** Meanwhile, offensively, the Panthers did everything they wanted on their end.

** Well … that’s not exactly true. There was the five minute stretch of the first half after Blake sat with his second foul that the Panthers appeared to play offense with the slightest smidge of doubt.

** But around the 9 minute mark, Guillermo hit a three after a fine swing out pass from Bub, and this was the beginning of 67 points in the final 29 minutes.

** It’s hard to think the Panthers can play any better offensively than they played during that stretch.

** They moved the ball and shot the ball confidently. This was a perfect portrayal of what should be known as Capel Ball being played to it’s best.

** There’s no doubt though, that Capel Ball looks much more capable when his supposed NBA First Round freshman fills it up for a career high. But let’s not minimize the fact the these were all really good three point shots Bub was taking today, as opposed to some of the tough contested one on one types that he’ll sometimes take during days he’ll struggle.

** Let’s also not minimize that on this night, we got to watch an almost perfect offensive performance from our freshman pair.

** The numbers are off the charts. 39 points. 14-28 from the floor. 9-16 from three. 14 assists, 3 steals. Just 4 turnovers.

** It mattered little that our senior leader played just 23 minutes. The freshman were every bit the seniors this night.

** Meanwhile, Blake offered an extraordinarily efficient 19 points in those 23 minutes. And after three more threes. I believe the Pitt season record for threes shatters on Tuesday.

** As always, I’ll put forth my wish for as many Panther fans to show up in the seats for the final two ACC contest. Our men deserve it.

** I’ll still keep in check my hopes that the Panther will inch their way into the NCAA tournament. But I won’t hold back my appreciation for how good this team has become.

** Not only are they on the brink of 20 wins, they have found a way to get better more than once when things looked rather dour.

** More than that, they have responded to adversity time and time again.

** And at most, on this night in Boston, the Panthers showed their fans, and more importantly themselves, a look at the best team they can be.

** And we aren’t done yet.

** Those of who have been Pitt Hoops fans for longer hauls often lament of the days of the Big East gone by.

** And I’m not even talking about the epic battles of the Panthers and the Huskies of 15 and 20 years ago. Instead, I’m talking of the days of Rollie and Louie and Patrick and Chris and Pearl.

** So much has changed since then that it’s pretty hard to realize that our only conference connections left to those days are the Orange and Boston College.

** The Eagles have trotted out a pretty long list of great players to get the best of our Panthers over the years. Names like John Garris, Jay Murphy, Dana Barros, Danya Abrams, Troy Bell and Craig Smith.

** Although the Panthers have had the better of BC in the past 20+ years, there haven’t been too many times they have put a whooping on the Eagles like they did tonight.

** OK, there was the 22 point whooping we dropped on #5 BC in Conte Forum in 2005, but I digress.

** Still, tonight our Panthers followed up a solid but tough road loss at Clemson with as stellar of road win against our long time former Big East foe as you could possibly expect.

** I don’t think many of the Panther Hoops faithful lost their faith that we’ve got a pretty good basketball team after our tough Tuesday battle against the Tigers. But speaking for myself, I lost some faith that this year’s edition could claw their way into the NCAA Tournament. It wasn’t the quality of our team that was the problem. It was more that math of the metrics.

** Nonetheless, after missing the magical “Quad 1 win” on Tuesday, we followed up with a “Quad 2 win” by a Panther squad who left the court looking every bit the part of a team who belongs in the NCAA Tournament.

** In fact, it was a pretty glorious 25 point thumping despite an offensive output by Quentin Post that would have made Garris, Abrams or Smith proud.

** I wouldn’t say it was by design, but it was almost as if the Panthers knew they could guard everyone else, so there was little concern with how many Post would post.

** Meanwhile, offensively, the Panthers did everything they wanted on their end.

** Well … that’s not exactly true. There was the five minute stretch of the first half after Blake sat with his second foul that the Panthers appeared to play offense with the slightest smidge of doubt.

** But around the 9 minute mark, Guillermo hit a three after a fine swing out pass from Bub, and this was the beginning of 67 points in the final 29 minutes.

** It’s hard to think the Panthers can play any better offensively than they played during that stretch.

** They moved the ball and shot the ball confidently. This was a perfect portrayal of what should be known as Capel Ball being played to it’s best.

** There’s no doubt though, that Capel Ball looks much more capable when his supposed NBA First Round freshman fills it up for a career high. But let’s not minimize the fact the these were all really good three point shots Bub was taking today, as opposed to some of the tough contested one on one types that he’ll sometimes take during days he’ll struggle.

** Let’s also not minimize that on this night, we got to watch an almost perfect offensive performance from our freshman pair.

** The numbers are off the charts. 39 points. 14-28 from the floor. 9-16 from three. 14 assists, 3 steals. Just 4 turnovers.

** It mattered little that our senior leader played just 23 minutes. The freshman were every bit the seniors this night.

** Meanwhile, Blake offered an extraordinarily efficient 19 points in those 23 minutes. And after three more threes. I believe the Pitt season record for threes shatters on Tuesday.

** As always, I’ll put forth my wish for as many Panther fans to show up in the seats for the final two ACC contest. Our men deserve it.

** I’ll still keep in check my hopes that the Panther will inch their way into the NCAA tournament. But I won’t hold back my appreciation for how good this team has become.

** Not only are they on the brink of 20 wins, they have found a way to get better more than once when things looked rather dour.

** And at most, on this night in Boston, the Panthers showed their fans, and more importantly themselves, a look at the best team they can be.

How many points did Post post in the low post?

We saw the Bub from start of the season tonight .

I doubt there’s a better freshman pair of guards in the country , wonder when’s there‘s ever been a better pair . Pitts best freshmen backcourt that I can come up with was Miller and Mathews , but they’re second fiddle to these two .

Jaland stays around long enough he’s got a chance to be the best pg in the history of the program .

I really like GDG at the 4 , shame they don’t have the luxury of playing him there very often .

Watching that game I wondered how good this team could be if Pitt had a Post like player . Guess BC fans were probably saying how good they could be if if they had Pitts guards !

Two more impressive wins to close out the season and a W in the ACC tourney Pitt will be dancing .

We saw the Bub from start of the season tonight .

I doubt there’s a better freshman pair of guards in the country , wonder when’s there‘s ever been a better pair . Pitts best freshmen backcourt that I can come up with was Miller and Mathews , but they’re second fiddle to these two .

Jaland stays around long enough he’s got a chance to be the best pg in the history of the program .

I really like GDG at the 4 , shame they don’t have the luxury of playing him there very often .

Watching that game I wondered how good this team could be if Pitt had a Post like player . Guess BC fans were probably saying how good they could be if if they had Pitts guards !

Two more impressive wins to close out the season and a W in the ACC tourney Pitt will be dancing .
For what it's worth, I'm certain they are a better pair as freshmen than Miller and Matthews were as freshmen.

* They moved the ball and shot the ball confidently. This was a perfect portrayal of what should be known as Capel Ball being played to it’s best.
Well, if this is the real "Capel Ball" that you're referencing, Im glad to see it.
Unfortunately what we saw as "Capel Ball" for several years was a point
guard oriented offense that for the most part had four players standing
around while the pg dribbled and over-dribbled and then went one on one
to the hoop and then forced a whatever. X and Odukale were prime
examples of this. Given the collective lack of talent, we had some very
poor losing seasons. What we've see these last two seasons gives me some
hope. Of course Capel had some real talent and experience out front last
year along with other supportive players. Somewhat the same this year,
even with a freshman PG who is playing great by involving his other
players, setting the pace, and getting good overall movement of all five
players. I can't speak highly enough of Lowe. He's that good IMO. Once
again we're a jump shooting team with little to no inside game from our
BIGS. When we're moving like we were tonight and hitting like we were
tonight, we're capable of beating any of our league brethren.

If you listened to the post game show on the radio, Milan Brown basically said that. The plan was that they were not going to double on Post, they were going to have Federiko and Diaz Graham do their best on him playing one on one, and they were going to stop everyone else. He said something along the lines of he (Post) might have to get 50 for them to beat us.

Man, they looked great tonight ! It’s been a very good year no matter what happens from here, but this team has a chance to do some special things yet. I really hope our freshman guards become sophomore guards at Pitt !

If you listened to the post game show on the radio, Milan Brown basically said that. The plan was that they were not going to double on Post, they were going to have Federiko and Diaz Graham do their best on him playing one on one, and they were going to stop everyone else. He said something along the lines of he (Post) might have to get 50 for them to beat us.
That "plan" if it is a plan, is what we basically see every game. Fede and
Graham get abused by just about every big they face in this league. At
this point late in the season it's not gonna change. As long as we get the
player movement, ball movement and shooting like what we saw tonight
we can hang. When we don't get those things along with the inside weakness,
we struggle.

Reactions: mike412
That "plan" if it is a plan, is what we basically see every game.

Well certainly it is a plan. I mean lots of teams double down on the post player when they don't think their post defender can handle the opponent. Earlier this season we were a team that frequently did that.

Deciding not to do that is every bit a plan as deciding to do that is.

Well certainly it is a plan. I mean lots of teams double down on the post player when they don't think their post defender can handle the opponent. Earlier this season we were a team that frequently did that.

Deciding not to do that is every bit a plan as deciding to do that is.
Basic Logic 101. ;)

we struggle.
All that from Post in the post and Pitt still outscored BC 30-24 on points in the paint.

I’ll take that ANY time when the rest of the game was totally dominated by Pitt.

Moe-bservations:

*I began watching the game at around the 12:00 mark in the second half with the score 58-43. I had taped the game, but decided to begin watching at "live" action instead of from the beginning

*The final 12 minutes (actually 10:30, as we didn't score in the last 1:32) of the game we outscored BC 32-22. 32 points scored in 10:30. That's a full-game pace (40 minutes) to score 122 points! (Let THAT resonate)

*Since I only watched 30% of the contest, my notes will be brief; but what I saw was about as good as I could imagine. The superlatives have already been mentioned by others here

*If I'm not mistaken, Randolph Childress (the commentator on ACCN last night) was also at the mic when we played @ WF. He must've wondered what Pitt did in just a couple of weeks to overcome the 33 pt road loss in Winston Salem to a 25 pt road win in Chestnut Hill

*Bub Carrington's on court post-game interview was a joy to watch and hear. Very composed young man; no bravado; handled himself like a seasoned veteran - even the crew at the ACCN desk after the game (Kelsey, et al) noted his maturity

*Win our next game vs FSU; don't look beyond that game

*Well done men! March Madness has begun

The problem is that this is the same team that got blown out by Wake and missed 7 layups in the first half against Clemson. Yet, it’s also the same team that beat Duke in Cameron. The only thing consistent about them is their inconsistency. And, the lack of an inside game.

I pretty much gave up on them making the tournament after Clemson. The committee is not going to ignore the awful OOC scheduling and that season-long inconsistency. Unless we get to the finals of the ACC Tournament. The funny thing is, their inconsistency could help there if we happen to get on a two or three game streak where we play really well.

Pitt received some nice minutes last night from GDG. I thought his minutes at the 4 in the first half were key to not only not losing our lead when Blake had to sit early, but to extending the lead into halftime. I can’t really recall seeing Fede and Guiermo playing together much as they obviously back each other up, but I thought it was interesting and effective.

The problem is that this is the same team that got blown out by Wake and missed 7 layups in the first half against Clemson. Yet, it’s also the same team that beat Duke in Cameron. The only thing consistent about them is their inconsistency. And, the lack of an inside game.

I pretty much gave up on them making the tournament after Clemson. The committee is not going to ignore the awful OOC scheduling and that season-long inconsistency. Unless we get to the finals of the ACC Tournament. The funny thing is, their inconsistency could help there if we happen to get on a two or three game streak where we play really well.
You gave up. Good.

They’re gonna make the tournament. All of this we have to win this many, have to win that many etc is all moot. We don’t live in a vacuum. I should bump my post from when we had NO chance and I laid out almost exactly what would happen and make the tournament.

Reactions: PittMBA
we struggle.
Fede and Diaz Graham playing together helped change the game. Diaz-Graham gets abused on here, but he has massively improved over last year, much stronger, better shooter, smarter. Will be interesting to see him continue to develop. I know he still gets pushed around, but no where near where he did last year.

They’re gonna make the tournament. All of this we have to win this many, have to win that many etc is all moot. We don’t live in a vacuum. I should bump my post from when we had NO chance and I laid out almost exactly what would happen and make the tournament.
Jim Boeheim agrees with you. they certainly look like a tourney team. they do need to win the last two games at home, I think.

Jim Boeheim agrees with you. they certainly look like a tourney team. they do need to win the last two games at home, I think.
When they play like yesterday, yes. When they play like at Wake, no. They’re like most bubble teams. They beat bad teams and lose to good teams.

If you look at the field and who will be in, and I’m trending towards UVA almost definitely being left out, Pitt would have beaten 2 teams in the field who beat Pitt and one of them was missing 2 starters/ beat Pitt by a billion at full strength and the other beat them by a billion the second time.

When you break it down like that, it’s easy to see why people would argue against Pitt being in the field. But they are what they are. A bubble team who is beating all of the inferior teams at the right time who will end up on the right side of the bubble while the other teams are going to falter.

All of that is to say, who cares. Get in then hope we get hot maybe win 3 games to get the S16

Here’s something that doesn’t make sense to me. When did we take all of the common sense out of picking the teams? How is Syracuse not in the tournament? They’re currently 4th in the ACC, will most likely finish with 21 wins and have a possibility for 22 (w ACCT) and a huge road win to finish regular season vs Clemson. I’ve never heard an argument for them to be in by ANYONE. How are they not in already? Wake is definitely in but Cuse isn’t? These metrics are stupid. Use the eye test. They have players, length, shooting etc. they should be in, especially with a win Tuesday. And so should Pitt. And so should Wake. And NC State should be the one on the bubble right now. If we didn’t have all these stupid advance metrics telling us Boise State and New Mexico are better than these teams they would be. End of rant

Fede and Diaz Graham playing together helped change the game. Diaz-Graham gets abused on here, but he has massively improved over last year, much stronger, better shooter, smarter. Will be interesting to see him continue to develop. I know he still gets pushed around, but no where near where he did last year.
Ok I see some improvement also. However the improvement in his development
is out on the floor. The real "abuse" he's getting inside is where it's hurting him and
more importantly the team. Again we rely on the jump shot. If we're hitting, yes
we can beat anyone in this league. The one place we're consistent is our consistently
weak play on the inside. He's a major part of that along with Fede.

Reactions: mo cheeks
Here’s something that doesn’t make sense to me. When did we take all of the common sense out of picking the teams? How is Syracuse not in the tournament? They’re currently 4th in the ACC, will most likely finish with 21 wins and have a possibility for 22 (w ACCT) and a huge road win to finish regular season vs Clemson. I’ve never heard an argument for them to be in by ANYONE. How are they not in already? Wake is definitely in but Cuse isn’t? These metrics are stupid. Use the eye test. They have players, length, shooting etc. they should be in, especially with a win Tuesday. And so should Pitt. And so should Wake. And NC State should be the one on the bubble right now. If we didn’t have all these stupid advance metrics telling us Boise State and New Mexico are better than these teams they would be. End of rant
Ya gotta know basketball to use the "eye test." Sorry to sound like a
know it all, but it's true.

Ya gotta know basketball to use the "eye test." Sorry to sound like a
know it all, but it's true.
I’m not saying I know it all or anything either. Haven’t seen Cuse play much outside of our games. They beat UNC. Really, their resume is similar to ours. Up and down, without the road warrior wins. This is just all so dumb we’re even talking about this. If by some way the CFB committee gets big ten and SeC auto byes (I don’t know why they need guaranteed auto byes if they’re that much better, but story for another day) Acc commish needs to be aggressive and secure 6 spots in NCAA tourney for ACC teams, minimum.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
Ok I see some improvement also. However the improvement in his development
is out on the floor. The real "abuse" he's getting inside is where it's hurting him and
more importantly the team. Again we rely on the jump shot. If we're hitting, yes
we can beat anyone in this league. The one place we're consistent is our consistently
weak play on the inside. He's a major part of that along with Fede.
I agree. All I Said is he is very improved from last year. I thought the big miss in recruiting was not bringing in some beef down low. Last year was comical, he spent a big portion of the time on the floor, being knocked down. His shooting was relatively weak, this year, you see huge confidence with the shot, and good results on the pick and pop. He actually has had a few good drives to the hoop, almost a Sportscenter jam. I am hopeful, with another year of putting on weight and strength , he won't be pushed around as much next year, and his senior year,, he could be a strong presence. His biggest improvement this year is shooting and passing, I think defense on the perimeter is pretty good, and while he gets pushed around still, its not as bad as last year. I do think when some people bang into him , it could be an offensive foul, but he will never get that call.

I’m not saying I know it all or anything either. Haven’t seen Cuse play much outside of our games. They beat UNC. Really, their resume is similar to ours. Up and down, without the road warrior wins. This is just all so dumb we’re even talking about this. If by some way the CFB committee gets big ten and SeC auto byes (I don’t know why they need guaranteed auto byes if they’re that much better, but story for another day) Acc commish needs to be aggressive and secure 6 spots in NCAA tourney for ACC teams, minimum.
I agree about Syracuse. Used to be when they got to 20 wins (under Boeheim) they were an NCAAT lock. When you look at their record vs ours it's almost like looking in the mirror, minus the road wins. Their problem was losing lopsided games which hurt them more in the NET. If RPI were still the metric, Syracuse would be an 8/9 seed

I agree about Syracuse. Used to be when they got to 20 wins (under Boeheim) they were an NCAAT lock. When you look at their record vs ours it's almost like looking in the mirror, minus the road wins. Their problem was losing lopsided games which hurt them more in the NET. If RPI were still the metric, Syracuse would be an 8/9 seed
It’s dumb that style points and running up the score is what you have to do now. Winning should be enough

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT