ADVERTISEMENT

Best College Football Helmets

I'll just post and wait for responses.

Oh man. I am never hiring some of you guys as my personal fashion designer. I think Michigan's are hideous. Michigan State, on the other hand... those are nice.

Notre Dame with the real gold
What I used to really hate is when teams had an ND-like shiny gold helmet with a flat black or dark blue stripe/number/logo painted on. I don't think anyone has one now, but I seem to remember Purdue, Army and Georgia Tech having them years ago. They looked like second hand ND helmets that somebody painted something on.

Now that I think about it, Pitt might have had one in the 60s.

Alot of "likes" depends on personal color likes. That being said, my favorite in no particular order.
1) Pitt would be in it whether a fan or not. Everything just "pops".
2) Wyoming as others have mentioned. Different color combo too.
3) Tulane, again unique color combo.
4) UCLA, LSU and UW. Simple and classic.
5) SMU and Auburn. (I have to admit I am partial to white helmets)

Dislikes:
1) PSU too plain. If they had numbers, would be better.
2) Alabama and Oklahoma, too plain and not a big crimson/maroon color fan.
3) Purdue. Blah!
4) Maryland. Just a trainwreck. It looks like the time Homer Simpson designed a car!
5) Kansas State. Purple and Silver just don't work.

Agree with the NC State hate.

The “wolf” reminds me of Disney’s Goofy and I can’t take it seriously.

His face is trying to be fierce but then he’s wearing that cute little hat. What the hell.

The "Slobbering Wolf" (it's the actual name) version is much better, IMO.

Two others I like are Northwestern and Temple. With NW, the color definitely helps. And Temples logo is simple but unique.
If Temple would just stick with the "][", but they've been throwing all sorts of alternate designs on the helmets, sometimes switching from game to game.

Last edited:
I've always been partial to designs that are bellicose in nature.

1. Michigan State with the Corinthian helmet.
2. Florida State Seminole spear.
3. For a traditional design, I always liked the block lettering and tiger decal of LSU. Plus the tiger eye at the 50 yd line they have is sweet.

Wyoming - Unique color scheme and a cool logo.
Oregon - The actual helmets with the 'O', none of the flashy ones.
UCLA - Fan of the script.
USC - They have some of the best uniforms in sports, helmet included.
Ohio State - It's not really for the helmets, but rather the buckeye stickers look very cool on it.
Michigan - Just a classic look.
Notre Dame - I actually don't like the actual gold look they have now, I prefer the older ones.
Florida - The "Gators" version.
Alabama - Classic look and works well with the rest of the uniforms.
Miami - "The U" is so iconic and having on the helmet fits with the team.

Lol. First thing I thought of too.

in this day and age, there are so many now it’s hard to keep up. So I’ll stick with traditional helmets and say Ole Miss because I’ve always liked navy and red together.

(that said I hate navy and gold together).
Ole Miss's blue helmets would be my choice, too.

Although I'd call them powder blue.
om-jtmccoy-3.jpg

Now that we have moved into dislikes...not a fan of ND's shiny gold helmets. They look obnoxious during night games with the light reflecting off them.

A helmet I do like is UNC's. Their blue makes any uniform and helmet look better.
I'd also go with UNC's blue. Like Oke Miss blue ones also.

But the yellow script Pitt are the best.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
No one is ever ever gonna convince me that PSU looks “classic “…. They look like the Sears kids uniforms of the 70s Wish Book

Wishbook-splash.png

Reactions: PittAU
Ole Miss's blue helmets would be my choice, too.

Although I'd call them powder blue.
om-jtmccoy-3.jpg
Oh snap. I actually meant the old color scheme. I like the old ones that were navy.

I’m an odd bird. I’m a fan of royal blue when paired with gold (think Pitt). But I’m not a fan of royal when paired with red (think Kansas).

and with Navy, I’m a fan when paired with red (think Houston Texans) but not when paired with gold (think WVU) or Vegas Gold (think Notre Dame or GT).

Tops

Ole Miss, UNC and Texas

FSU

Army, Navy and Air Force have cool alternative helmets, and ugly regular ones.

Bottom

Michigan and Notre Dame

NCSU (even worse than their helmet is the thing the fans do with their thumb, index and ring finger, while holding their pinkie and little finger up).

Damn, I mostly prefer classic uniforms but that's a very cool use of what you can do with technology today. Beautiful helmet.

They are, but what I really like about them is that they’re so subtle. If you’re watching them on tv it just looks like a red helmet. You can’t even see the Aztec stuff unless it’s zoomed in very close.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Reactions: Zpanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT