ADVERTISEMENT

Best thing in a long time......

cpc247

Redshirt
Jun 26, 2013
We have to run kids off the team to make 85 scholarships. This to me is awesome. Talent and depth. I just can't stop thinking about having Dorian Johnson start because we literally didn't have enough players on the roster. Pitt football is set to have decent to good years for a while. If we could every 2 or 3 years find a stud player (mckoy) to put on this team we are going to be very fun to watch.

This opportunity is available at every school!

No doubt. And I suspect a lot of schools are running people off because of it , ha. My point is that it's something that is just going to be more prominent in general.

But it's a good time to be peaking as a program. We're using the transfer portal as a net plus instead of a net loss.

In terms of beneficial to a school, it seems to me that Pitt wins in the portal era moreso than most.

I have always believed (as do many here) that the only thing holding Pitt back is the recruiting tactic of Pitt in a half empty stadium.

The portal in my view, eliminates this. Transfers dont care about attendance, tradition, pageantry.

Just watch. Pitt will continue to thrive in the portal players they bring in.

In terms of beneficial to a school, it seems to me that Pitt wins in the portal era moreso than most.

I have always believed (as do many here) that the only thing holding Pitt back is the recruiting tactic of Pitt in a half empty stadium.

The portal in my view, eliminates this. Transfers dont care about attendance, tradition, pageantry.

Just watch. Pitt will continue to thrive in the portal players they bring in.

Pitt is well ahead when it comes to both transfers (gained vs lost) and flips (gained vs lost).

We have to run kids off the team to make 85 scholarships. This to me is awesome. Talent and depth. I just can't stop thinking about having Dorian Johnson start because we literally didn't have enough players on the roster. Pitt football is set to have decent to good years for a while. If we could every 2 or 3 years find a stud player (mckoy) to put on this team we are going to be very fun to watch.

Ok but dont understand the Dorian Johnson reference. He made the NFL (practice squads)

Reactions: jctrack
call me a wet blanket here, the glass half empty but once this super senior covid eligibility ends, we are gonna have a roster with many holes in it.. i like the transfer portal and 6th year super seniors like the rest of you but still cant give up on developing some younger under classmen..

this is going to catch up to us eventually.

Reactions: jctrack
Doubt it Pitt will win games which should help improve high school recruiting and the portal is here to stay for now so they will be able to recruit even better football players. The D line is set for several years and they have to fill in at lb and secondary but with winning things should improve.

call me a wet blanket here, the glass half empty but once this super senior covid eligibility ends, we are gonna have a roster with many holes in it.. i like the transfer portal and 6th year super seniors like the rest of you but still cant give up on developing some younger under classmen..

But you can quickly fill needs in the portal. That's the main difference between today and several years ago.

Just look at the quantity and quality of players who entered the portal in the last month. It almost like another recruiting season.

But you can quickly fill needs in the portal. That's the main difference between today and several years ago.

Just look at the quantity and quality of players who entered the portal in the last month. It almost like another recruiting season.
cant argue this. very valid point.

So long sad times
Go long bad times
We are rid of you at last
Howdy gay times
Cloudy gray times
You are now a thing of the past

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again

Reactions: jtbuba

As long as we are not like the hoopies, who apparently have to use the portal to fill 20+ vacancies via the portal, we will be fine.

Reactions: PittMan 72

but Narduzzi can't recruit...

It also helps that we're not setting the bar so low and competing with MAC schools for recruits. ***Looks at Coach Mumbles***

• Haha
Reactions: caleco's
As long as we are not like the hoopies, who apparently have to use the portal to fill 20+ vacancies via the portal, we will be fine.
The Portal is a GREAT tool for filling specific needs on a team that is close and can be very selective, like PItt right now.

But for turning over approximately a third or so of a roster that has bailed on a program? Well then it’s kinda like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Or reaching into a grab bag.

Reactions: Gary77
So long sad times
Go long bad times
We are rid of you at last
Howdy gay times
Cloudy gray times
You are now a thing of the past

The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
Thanks for the ear worm 😐

The Portal is a GREAT tool for filling specific needs on a team that is close and can be very selective, like PItt right now.

But for turning over approximately a third or so of a roster that has bailed on a program? Well then it’s kinda like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Or reaching into a grab bag.
WVU the White Elephant of College football recruiting

I wouldn't necessarily say "run off". More like persuaded with facts.

Ok but dont understand the Dorian Johnson reference. He made the NFL (practice squads)
The reference was to Dorian being a true freshman that should have been able to redshirt and continue his development, but the roster was so thing he could not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT