ADVERTISEMENT

Big Mike vs The Tuohy's....

upj87

Head Coach
Nov 5, 2003
....who you got?

I haven't read much about this, but why is he doing this all of the sudden? Did he spend all of his money?.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan1911
I am starting to lean towards the Tuohys. As much as I am not a particular fan of them.
ya know, when I first heard about this I was all pro-Tuohy in my opinion of what was going on here...My main argument was what kind of agent would let this conservatorship continue. Like, "Hey Mike, this does not fly and we need to put an end to it"

Then I did a little digging...turns out his NFL agent was a family friend of the Tuohy's who also wrote up the conservatorship doc in 2004...

Still does not explain how they made the assumption that this kid would go to the NFL and there would be a book and a blockbuster movie and this was all part of some devious plan to screw him out of that booty...Me thinks it was put on the books to assure a kid with no background in financial matters would be looked after until he got some maturity under his belt. Problem is it should have been ended when he left college.

ya know, when I first heard about this I was all pro-Tuohy in my opinion of what was going on here...My main argument was what kind of agent would let this conservatorship continue. Like, "Hey Mike, this does not fly and we need to put an end to it"

Then I did a little digging...turns out his NFL agent was a family friend of the Tuohy's who also wrote up the conservatorship doc in 2004...

Still does not explain how they made the assumption that this kid would go to the NFL and there would be a book and a blockbuster movie and this was all part of some devious plan to screw him out of that booty...Me thinks it was put on the books to assure a kid with no background in financial matters would be looked after until he got some maturity under his belt. Problem is it should have been ended when he left college.
He had been recruited to a private high school by Hugh Freeze, made the all-state team, was named his division's state offensive lineman of the year, and was ranked one of the top 30 football players in the country all before they invited him to live in their home. Then the top Lineman from Tennessee, eschewed a perennial top-10 team from his hometown and signed a scholarship offer to play at 4-7 Ole Miss that just fired their head coach.

Sure they gave him stability and probably felt good about themselves for what they did. It was a good thing that he most likely desperately needed, but let's not pretend it was pure altruism. They never adopted him, despite telling everyone they did, something that she has made a career out of promoting.

They wanted a 5-star player for their alma mater.

When I heard there were these rich Ole Miss alums who took in a D1 prospect, I was just a bit suspicious of them.

They knew he was a big time prospect with a great chance at making the NFL. The book deal was because Michael Lewis (author of Moneyball) was a high school friend of the father.

He had been recruited to a private high school by Hugh Freeze, made the all-state team, was named his division's state offensive lineman of the year, and was ranked one of the top 30 football players in the country all before they invited him to live in their home. Then the top Lineman from Tennessee, eschewed a perennial top-10 team from his hometown and signed a scholarship offer to play at 4-7 Ole Miss that just fired their head coach.

Sure they gave him stability and probably felt good about themselves for what they did. It was a good thing that he most likely desperately needed, but let's not pretend it was pure altruism. They never adopted him, despite telling everyone they did, something that she has made a career out of promoting.

They wanted a 5-star player for their alma mater.
Probably, but without all this "help" the kid might never make it to college or the NFL. Pretty good chance he's not cashing $34m in NFL paychecks.

They knew he was a big time prospect with a great chance at making the NFL. The book deal was because Michael Lewis (author of Moneyball) was a high school friend of the father.
Not sure what his NFL prospects had to do with anything ...The only conceivable logical motivation they had was to Ole Miss. Really the only need for the conservatorship in the first place. ..We would be ecstatic if prominent Pitt alums helped 4 and 5 stars out of horrible circumstances and housed and clothed and fed them...No way to predict a financial benefit from taking this kid in (pre-senior year by the way when he was a 4 star)

seems like the Disney overlords are pulling back the reigns on the 4 letter on this one...

A garbage childhood is where the majority of the trouble starts for underprivileged youth. Him and all kids deserve a loving, caring upbringing with parents who care. Oher earned every single thing he earned in this life. Kudos to him for keeping himself on the straight and narrow and avoiding the temptation being a poor kid brings.

Honestly, I would have denied that family adopted me so that he can have a clear conscious when it comes out that he smashed that families hot daughter. I think her name is Collins and she models bras…maybe. I peeped her Instagram for a second and saw a post of her loving these bras, not bad.

Update: I looked at her Instagram again and she’s built like Snooki. She’s OK, but not the baddie I thought.

Reactions: pittdan77
We are being played…

All of this is setting the stage for a sequel. There are millions to be made off of the white savior trope gone wrong. They will call it “The Dark Side”

Reactions: dave97
Probably, but without all this "help" the kid might never make it to college or the NFL. Pretty good chance he's not cashing $34m in NFL paychecks.
Absolutely agree. If they approached the arrangement in a transactional manner then there is no problem. But that's not the story they have told in every public appearance, in a book, in a movie, have based their fame on. Most importantly, it's apparently not what they told him.

If I start a clothing company and traffic a dozen kids from abject poverty into my basement sweatshop where they just experience moderate US poverty, I don't then get to claim that I adopted them into my family and get a parade. (This is an extreme example to make a point that while their lives are better and they make even thank me for what I did, intentions absolutely matter.)

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Not sure what his NFL prospects had to do with anything ...The only conceivable logical motivation they had was to Ole Miss. Really the only need for the conservatorship in the first place. ..We would be ecstatic if prominent Pitt alums helped 4 and 5 stars out of horrible circumstances and housed and clothed and fed them...No way to predict a financial benefit from taking this kid in (pre-senior year by the way when he was a 4 star)

seems like the Disney overlords are pulling back the reigns on the 4 letter on this one...

Not quite sure why you're attributing a quote to me that I didn't type.

As to the 4-star thing, the two sites that I saw claimed he was a scout.com 5-star junior (wikipedia) and a top 50 recruit in his junior year (some Blind Side article on the wayback machine. But how often do Rivals or 24/7 have 50 5-star recruits? So I used top 30.) I have no primary sources so not a hill I"m willing to die on.

Last edited:
Without their "help" he would have gone to a school not named Ole Miss, he was a top prospect and was going to a D1 school.
Exactly, he'd have gone to whatever D-1 school just-so-happened to hire his high school coach (Hugh Freeze) as a position coach 3 weeks after he signed his letter of intent.

Absolutely agree. If they approached the arrangement in a transactional manner then there is no problem. But that's not the story they have told in every public appearance, in a book, in a movie, have based their fame on. Most importantly, it's apparently not what they told him.

If I start a clothing company and traffic a dozen kids from abject poverty into my basement sweatshop where they just experience moderate US poverty, I don't then get to claim that I adopted them into my family and get a parade. (This is an extreme example to make a point that while their lives are better and they make even thank me for what I did, intentions absolutely matter.)
Understand. I'm talking about the whole system, including Freeze, the Tuohys, and even Ole Miss. Without the support, he likely never gets the grades he needs to go D1 (or stay in school) and we never know what happens to him.

Without their "help" he would have gone to a school not named Ole Miss, he was a top prospect and was going to a D1 school.
His grades were horrendous and it was the Tuohys who got him tutors and online classes to get his GPA up to some passable level. It continues at Ole Miss to keep him in school and eligible.

Look, I'm not acting like the Tuohys are saints. However, you can't deny what they did helped this kid immensely. Without all the "help", it's more likely he washes out and is never heard from again.

Reactions: TD_6082
Exactly, he'd have gone to whatever D-1 school just-so-happened to hire his high school coach (Hugh Freeze) as a position coach 3 weeks after he signed his letter of intent.
and what were the circumstances of his living arrangements at that time? Who is he living with his senior year? Is the book/movie that far off in this regard? I have no idea and one has to assume a certain amount of embellishment.. I mean 10 months living on the streets or in some horrible environment can do a lot of damage to that "he could go anywhere he wanted" narrative.....and besides that Sandra Bullock taught him how to block so he owed it to her to go to Ole Miss...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hilton Head Panther
why do you say that? just asking, i am curious about this case but not enough so to follow it closely.
I don't know. More I read, I just think there was alot of bullshit here and the media made them out to be these benevolent heroes. And they were......but obviously like all rich people, they had some selfish reasons. So I am back to this being probably bad all around. I do think Oher should get some proceeds from the movie, but I also think somehow he did not manage his NFL money well and needs more.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I don't know. More I read, I just think there was alot of bullshit here and the media made them out to be these benevolent heroes. And they were......but obviously like all rich people, they had some selfish reasons. So I am back to this being probably bad all around. I do think Oher should get some proceeds from the movie, but I also think somehow he did not manage his NFL money well and needs more.
for Oher to not get ALL of the proceeds or at least of the Proceeds from this movie is mind blowing. again, zero legal background but the freakin movie is based on his life.

and what were the circumstances of his living arrangements at that time? Who is he living with his senior year? Is the book/movie that far off in this regard? I have no idea and one has to assume a certain amount of embellishment.. I mean 10 months living on the streets or in some horrible environment can do a lot of damage to that "he could go anywhere he wanted" narrative.....and besides that Sandra Bullock taught him how to block so he owed it to her to go to Ole Miss...
he couldnt play a lick of football then sandra bullock comes onto the field in high heels and plays psychologist with him and 10 seconds later, he's a P5 caliber recruit OL.

I see nothing dramatized with that scenario..

like all rich people, they had some selfish reasons....one of the groups that has no safe space from abuse in woke 2023. Very few substitutions (probably get away with Catholics) for "rich people" in you assertion that does not get one fired and socially ostracized... Been a lot of "rich people" college football nuts but not a lot of them seem willing to bring a destitute black kids into their midst and into their home regardless of their potential on the field..

Hollywood dramatizes? You have just pulled back the curtain on the movie industry.

Wait, are you trying to tell me that movies that are "based on a true story" are not 100% factually accurate?

Who knew?

In any event, is there any way for both of them to be wrong? Cause that's what I'm hoping for.

like all rich people, they had some selfish reasons....one of the groups that has no safe space from abuse in woke 2023. Very few substitutions (probably get away with Catholics) for "rich people" in you assertion that does not get one fired and socially ostracized... Been a lot of "rich people" college football nuts but not a lot of them seem willing to bring a destitute black kids into their midst and into their home regardless of their potential on the field..
What is "woke 2023?" He gave his opinion. If his opinion is woke...so is yours...whatever the hell it is supposed to mean. Speaking of socially ostracized...hang out with a christian conservative for five minutes and find out who is only acceptable in the land of the Lord...and who isn't.

Last edited:
What is "woke 2023?" He gave his opinion. If his opinion is woke...so is yours...whatever the hell it is supposed to mean. Speaking of socially ostracized...hang out with a christian conservative for five minutes and find out who is only acceptable in the land of the Lord...and who isn't.
If any christian conservative tells you that, he isn't.

You do not do things for selfish reasons?

Why was the conservatorship needed in the first place?
Because there was already talk of an NCAA investigation into big donors taking in a highly recruited, non-family member and giving him gifts then he happens to go to their flailing alma mater 6 months later.

This way they could argue that what they did was necessary and for his benefit without actually letting him in the family.

“Hey look, this kid couldn’t function without us, this document says so.”

His grades were horrendous and it was the Tuohys who got him tutors and online classes to get his GPA up to some passable level. It continues at Ole Miss to keep him in school and eligible.

Look, I'm not acting like the Tuohys are saints. However, you can't deny what they did helped this kid immensely. Without all the "help", it's more likely he washes out and is never heard from again.
That's all true but I know of guys who played CFB that were functionally illiterate. Some schools just find ways.

Because there was already talk of an NCAA investigation into big donors taking in a highly recruited, non-family member and giving him gifts then he happens to go to their flailing alma mater 6 months later.

This way they could argue that what they did was necessary and for his benefit without actually letting him in the family.

“Hey look, this kid couldn’t function without us, this document says so.”
So basically the Touhy's were able to take run of the mill sleazy recruiting tactics and transform it into feel good story.

So basically the Touhy's were able to take run of the mill sleazy recruiting tactics and transform it into feel good story.
Yep, here's an exact quote from their lawyer.

“There was one thing to accomplish, and that was to make him part of the family, so that the NCAA would be satisfied because Sean would have been a booster of the university,”

But not an actual part of the family by adopting him, just enough so that they could clear NCAA hurdles to get him to their alma mater.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT