ADVERTISEMENT

Bigger Rival - PSU or WVU

Bigger Rival - PSU or WVU

• Penn State

Votes: 59 52.7%
  • West Virginia

Votes: 53 47.3%

• Total voters
PSU is the bigger rival by far. We are the same people. We live and work with them. We are like 2 brothers who dont get along. WVU is like your country cousin who you only see at weddings and funerals. We dont have much in common with them other than we are related. I haven't even met 5 WVU grads in my life. Very few in the Pgh area.

I haven't even met 5 WVU grads in my life.
Get out of your parents basement, you might meet some WVU grads.

Pitt has played WVU more times and is playing them now. It's hard to have a rivalry when the teams don't play, and the future of such a meeting is very doubtful.

Sadly, I realized this, and voted WVU, it's far from the late 70's-and 80's, PSU first wanted a separation which inevitably turned into a divorce.....time to move on....

Get out of your parents basement, you might meet some WVU grads.

Pitt has played WVU more times and is playing them now. It's hard to have a rivalry when the teams don't play, and the future of such a meeting is very doubtful.

Sadly, I realized this, and voted WVU, it's far from the late 70's-and 80's, PSU first wanted a separation which inevitably turned into a divorce.....time to move on....

WVU grads dont work white collar jobs. I haven't met any at least. Worked and lived in close proximity to tons of PSU fans.

Yeah, for me I have known many WVU fans in the Pittsburgh area. Some grads, too, but I mean...

anyway it's a hard question because we play one school and they want to play us, and it's great, and another school refuses to play us. whether that makes them a bigger rival or less of a rival is up to interpretation i guess

i hate penn state more, but who wouldn't?

PSU is the bigger rival by far. We are the same people. We live and work with them. We are like 2 brothers who dont get along. WVU is like your country cousin who you only see at weddings and funerals. We dont have much in common with them other than we are related. I haven't even met 5 WVU grads in my life. Very few in the Pgh area.
I always thought Morgantown looked and felt like a Pittsburgh neighborhood.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. Calling BS on this.

Reactions: Parkview57
Haha, ok yes we have lived in different worlds, I have run into many WVU grads , most are from PA....

I guess. Here's a list of WVU grads I have met in my life:

- A guy I went to HS with
- A parent of my kid's friend
- A guy I used to know when I was a kid

Really trying hard to think here.

Ok - another guy that lives in my town. I think he played football there, maybe a walk-on. Everyone hates this dude.

Well, let's see....one of those schools is a daily, relentless topic of conversation on this board even though Pitt doesn't play them anymore, hated so fervently that many posters have extended their hatred to the entire B10, is a rivalry that is not restricted to sports, and with the worst insult certain posters can hurl against others is to call them a "nitter"; while the other is only discussed on the board occasionally when Pitt has an upcoming game against them.

I'd say the obsessive hatred trumps the casual hatred when it comes to defining rivalry. this one isn't even close.

Easily Penn State. Every weekend I root for Pitt to win and Penn State to lose. WVU is a good rivalry but couldn’t care less what they do when they aren’t playing Pitt.

Reactions: Atilla Cosby
Their are few teams I hate more than WVU (PSU, Notre Dame, FSU) The hatred for PSU is more intense, but WVU has been our true rival for a long time...

Reactions: Parkview57
if you are over 40, west virginia.

if you are over 60, penn state.

If you are under 30, you are asking "whats a rivalry?"

For some it may be, but I'm 45 and it's state penn all the way, hands down. My dad had season tickets from the 1970s and instilled in me what it means to be a Pitt fan, and that's to hate Penn state.

Don't forget the fight song immortalized this hatred. That retard Steve literally had them change the fight song to exclude the "fight Pitt fight" part. Serious universities do not mess with tradition like that.

We didn't like WVU, but the stakes weren't as high as for the big game with the pedos.

Ok - another guy that lives in my town. I think he played football there, maybe a walk-on. Everyone hates this dude.
Well in fairness , it’s because you’re unemployable

Again, I call BS on this. Based on the fact you live in and are from the South Hills. Hell you are closer to Morgantown than Oakland by way of traffic. We had alot of people from my HS go to WVU and we were firmly northeast of the city. So again, you are lying.

For some it may be, but I'm 45 and it's state penn all the way, hands down. My dad had season tickets from the 1970s and instilled in me what it means to be a Pitt fan, and that's to hate Penn state.

Don't forget the fight song immortalized this hatred. That retard Steve literally had them change the fight song to exclude the "fight Pitt fight" part. Serious universities do not mess with tradition like that.

We didn't like WVU, but the stakes weren't as high as for the big game with the pedos.
But you are 45. You missed all of those "high stakes" games with Penn State. You are too young really to appreciate. We have had many more "high stakes" games with WVU over the last 35 years than PSU.

Again, I call BS on this. Based on the fact you live in and are from the South Hills. Hell you are closer to Morgantown than Oakland by way of traffic. We had alot of people from my HS go to WVU and we were firmly northeast of the city. So again, you are lying.

There were 2 kids from my HS, that I can remember, who went to WVU. One of them transferred out after his freshman year. The other one graduated but isnt a college sports fan.

I did think of a few others:

I forgot I know (not that well) a WVU family in my town.

A woman my wife knows has a daughter who graduated from WVU.

A guy that coaches youth sports in my town went to WVU.

For you guys saying there are loads of WVU fans in the Pittsburgh area, I just find that hard to believe. I haven't come across many in my life. I know more Ohio State and Notre Dame fans. And honestly I probably know more PSU fans than Pitt fans or its close.

But you are 45. You missed all of those "high stakes" games with Penn State. You are too young really to appreciate. We have had many more "high stakes" games with WVU over the last 35 years than PSU.
what high stakes games do you speak of? and no, 13-9 does not count because 28 point spread games are never considered "high stakes" going in and akin to 1 foot putts...

Why ask a question you know the answer to? I don't think you are curious, just bored. I'm guessing 90% here rooted for wvu over penn state a couple weeks ago . There's your answer.
I’m not from Pennsylvania nor did Pitt consistently play Penn State during my lifetime. Frankly, I couldn’t care less about Penn State.

Reactions: Ski11585
WVU grads dont work white collar jobs. I haven't met any at least. Worked and lived in close proximity to tons of PSU fans.
This is an absolute horseshit statement. We can rip all day on the quality of a WVU education, but there are plenty of successful WVU folks in “white collar” jobs. I work with quite a few. A lot of them are damn good at what they do.

The person matters a shitload more than the degree.

For some it may be, but I'm 45 and it's state penn all the way, hands down.
I'm in my early 40s and I say PSU all the way.

I know a number of WVU grads, but I kind of get what SMF is saying. Many of the WVU grads that I know currently living in western PA are not obnoxious Pitt haters. They generally are not very annoying in terms of their college sports fandom. They aren't delusional. So it's almost as if you don't notice them. I have a feeling many of the WVU fans that despise Pitt probably live within the state of WV and probably didn't even go to WVU.

The PSU fanbase, at least the portion of the PSU fanbase residing in Western Pennsylvania, is different. They pretend they don't care about Pitt but their actions say otherwise.

Whoever the new AD is, I'd like to see them bring back the old victory song.

This is an absolute horseshit statement. We can rip all day on the quality of a WVU education, but there are plenty of successful WVU folks in “white collar” jobs. I work with quite a few. A lot of them are damn good at what they do.

The person matters a shitload more than the degree.
typical stupid post from him. it's to be expected

I’m not from Pennsylvania nor did Pitt consistently play Penn State during my lifetime. Frankly, I couldn’t care less about Penn State.
but yet you cared enough to bring them up as the subject of this post...but I digress.

and yet as a member of the forum since 2015 you were unable to ascertain the overwhelming answer to the question you posed to its members? If Penn State were playing an SS death squad team that had just formed in Poland circa 1940 most true Pitt fans would be torn as to who to root for...The results of your poll would probably be close to 50/50 on that one...maybe that can help you out with your research...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT