ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Belichick will be in the portal

Jun 3, 2023
Robert Kraft has made the decision to move on from him at the end of the year. This will make Tomlin the longest tenured coach in the NFL, assuming he doesn’t get canned.

Let’s be honest, it was Brady who made that dynasty happen. And Belichick made a massive blunder drafting Mac Jones. Have to assume Belichick retires. Some rumored replacements are Jerod Mayo, Bill O’Brien. But Eric Bieniemy and Mike Vrabel are mentioned too.

Robert Kraft has made the decision to move on from him at the end of the year. This will make Tomlin the longest tenured coach in the NFL, assuming he doesn’t get canned.

Let’s be honest, it was Brady who made that dynasty happen. And Belichick made a massive blunder drafting Mac Jones. Have to assume Belichick retires. Some rumored replacements are Jerod Mayo, Bill O’Brien. But Eric Bieniemy and Mike Vrabel are mentioned too.
I’m hoping Bieniemy is a candidate here in Pittsburgh to be OC. It’s clear Bieniemy will be looking for work when that staff gets sacked.

As far as Bill B…I refuse to say that Brady was the reason for the Dynasty. It takes a good coach and QB combo and a culture. And Bill B was the right coach for Brady, calling him out in meetings and holding him as accountable as a 3rd TE. Was Brady a bigger part of it? Probably. But Belichick not only coached the entire team, but played a part in Brady’s success.

Are there any years left on his contract? If I were Kraft, I would have tried to trade him and get a draft pick or two for him. But it's too late now.

He's a great coach, but I agree that Brady played the biggest part in his success. I highly doubt guys like Randy Moss or AB went to New England to play for Belichick. They went there to play with Brady. AB even followed Brady to Tampa. Gronk did the same.

I’m hoping Bieniemy is a candidate here in Pittsburgh to be OC. It’s clear Bieniemy will be looking for work when that staff gets sacked.

As far as Bill B…I refuse to say that Brady was the reason for the Dynasty. It takes a good coach and QB combo and a culture. And Bill B was the right coach for Brady, calling him out in meetings and holding him as accountable as a 3rd TE. Was Brady a bigger part of it? Probably. But Belichick not only coached the entire team, but played a part in Brady’s success.
True. Brady gets a ton of credit deservedly so but BB was the master mind behind the roster and the pat’s defense was no slouch either. Pats had a lot of no name wr who came up big as well.

I think it would be hilarious if the Steelers sacked MT and hired BB. Never gonna happen but that would be funny as hell

True. Brady gets a ton of credit deservedly so but BB was the master mind behind the roster and the pat’s defense was no slouch either. Pats had a lot of no name wr who came up big as well.

I think it would be hilarious if the Steelers sacked MT and hired BB. Never gonna happen but that would be funny as hell
Belichick would have zero Super Bowl wins as a head coach without Brady, give him the QB's Cowher had pre-Ben and he's back to being Parcells DC after a few seasons.

Belichick would have zero Super Bowl wins as a head coach without Brady, give him the QB's Cowher had pre-Ben and he's back to being Parcells DC after a few seasons.
That’s totally dismissing his contributions to building the roster and a defense that was pretty darn good. But hey anything to dismiss his accomplishments to make Medicore Mike look better How many super bowls did medicore Mike win with a HOF qb and annually one of the most talented rosters. Oh and BBs worst team just bitch slapped MT again.

That’s totally dismissing his contributions to building the roster and a defense that was pretty darn good. But hey anything to dismiss his accomplishments to make Medicore Mike look better How many super bowls did medicore Mike win with a HOF qb and annually one of the most talented rosters. Oh and BBs worst team just bitch slapped MT again.
Did I compare him to Tomlin? Cower built some great defenses but had 0 Super Bowl wins pre-Ben due to QB play. Belichick's success is all dependent on Brady, if he had the likes of O'Donnell, Stewart, Tomczak, or Maddox, he's in the same boat as Cowher and he wouldn't have an owner as patient and loyal as the Rooney's.

To me that’s silly talk. Just as silly as saying Tomlin won with Cowhers players. It doesn’t work that way and it’s foolish to minimize the contributions.

Did I compare him to Tomlin? Cower built some great defenses but had 0 Super Bowl wins pre-Ben due to QB play. Belichick's success is all dependent on Brady, if he had the likes of O'Donnell, Stewart, Tomczak, or Maddox, he's in the same boat as Cowher and he wouldn't have an owner as patient and loyal as the Rooney's.
That’s a fair point. But I think it’s context that matters in the discussion. Too many people want to dismiss BB because of Brady. Brady was O’Donnell for that 1st Super Bowl. BR wasn’t BR for that Cowher Super Bowl. Sometimes you just need “a” QB. You don’t need the best that’s ever played the game like Brady or a HOFer like Ben. But yeah, to your point, maybe there’s no dynasty or 6 super bowls without Brady. But it’s way out of line to say BB would have had 0. Some of this SBs were off the back of the defense.

Furthermore, Brady wasn’t the architect of SpyGate either. Lol.

Reactions: pittbb80
Brady is a great QB, but he certainly had lots of help. And I mean lots. Including some all time bad decisions from other coaches. Some great defenses. And same great coaching.

Reactions: pittbb80
That’s a fair point. But I think it’s context that matters in the discussion. Too many people want to dismiss BB because of Brady. Brady was O’Donnell for that 1st Super Bowl. BR wasn’t BR for that Cowher Super Bowl. Sometimes you just need “a” QB. You don’t need the best that’s ever played the game like Brady or a HOFer like Ben. But yeah, to your point, maybe there’s no dynasty or 6 super bowls without Brady. But it’s way out of line to say BB would have had 0. Some of this SBs were off the back of the defense.

Furthermore, Brady wasn’t the architect of SpyGate either. Lol.
If only Mike Tomlin had a HOF QB to carry him..........................

If only Mike Tomlin had a HOF QB to carry him..........................
Yeah but Ben didnt win 6. So I guess neither Cowher or Tomlin won because of Ben? I mean you all are throwing these lines out without thinking. Dont tell me, it was because of bad coaching, defense and ST the reason Ben only won 2. Not because of all the INTs or just choking against the Patriots.

Yeah but Ben didnt win 6. So I guess neither Cowher or Tomlin won because of Ben? I mean you all are throwing these lines out without thinking. Dont tell me, it was because of bad coaching, defense and ST the reason Ben only won 2. Not because of all the INTs or just choking against the Patriots.
whose not thinking?

In BRs rookie year they went to the AFC Championship game. Second year he won .........the SUperbowl........

In his LAST year with Cowher, BR had that motorcycle accident.................Id say Cowher did pretty darn good with BR in only three years..... one of which he was a true rookie and the third he was hurt..........

Try harder next time

Nail/Head!!!

One more than Marv Levy won. One more than Don Coryell won. One more than Don Shula won with Dan Marino.

Brady definitely mattered more than Belichick. And Jordan mattered more than Phil Jackson. That's the nature of elite players in these sports. The Spurs are having a 17 game losing streak with that other Yugoslav head coach; it's harder when you don't have Tim Duncan...

But Belichick is an excellent football mind. He coached a Cleveland Browns team (with Nick Saban tbf) to what was then ranked the #3 statistical defense of all time. He called plays at various times for both the Pats offense AND their defense in years they won all those games. He has eight super bowl rings as a coordinator and head coach. Of course you hire him. His teams generally have a strong culture of discipline. Yeah they cheated, because he wanted to win.

Belichick was the perfect QB for Brady and that combo just worked. With that said, Belichick wasn't that great (compared to the Brady-led Patriots) before or after Brady. Brady was the main reason for those titles and we saw him go to Tampa Bay and make an immediate impact on that culture as well.

As it relates to the Steelers, if the Patriots can fire a coach who dominated the past two decades with 6 titles in 9 appearances, then a coach on the verge of 7 straight years without a playoff win should certainly be on the hot seat.

The Patriot's early superbowl wins were as defensive minded underdogs. It wasn't Brady slinging it around. That came later.

Belichick isn't retiring voluntarily. He's not far from Shula's all-time win record and wants it. Plus, I'm sure he'd love to win a SB or do well to lessen the Brady was responsible talk.

Trade Tomlin for draft picks and bring in Belicheck.
I love the Tomlin jock sniffers who rip BB as a way to prop up MT. They say “look what BB was without Brady”. To which point I ask, what did Mike a Tomlin do without , ahhh, errr, ummm…well he had a franchise HOF QB for his entire career and wasted the 2nd half of his career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT