ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Hillgrove

This story baffles me the more I think about it. An elderly man runs his car into the stores windows, then stumbles out the car, and into the store. First instinct I would think that store personnel would run out to see what's going on and check on the driver. 911 would then be called. I would also think that someone would have followed him into the store and made sure that he didn't collapse or anything. I would have told him to take a seat and just stalled him until the police arrived.

If he was able to hit a building, then he could've easily hit a pedestrian or another driver.

The story is bizarre and sad.

As far as his announcing duties go, Myron Cope said he would retire when he lost his edge. A former Steelers employee met with Cope and told him he was losing it and Cope followed through and retired. I appreciate people doing what they love for as long as possible, but Bill lost his edge years ago. We'll see what comes of this, but he needs to take care of himself and get the assistance he needs. We don't need him putting others at risk behind the wheel.

Reactions: W1np1tt
A quote in the PG

“That car got away from me,” Mr. Hillgrove told police, according to the affidavit. “I’m telling you the car just got away from me.”

So that explains it. Goofy car. Probably a lemon.

Maybe it was a Tesla.

Seriously, could that have been a combination of alcohol and whatever medication he may have been taking?

Probably because he's a local celebrity and they felt they shouldn't have .
I know . It sounds absurd but people tend to look differently towards celebrities inspite of the situation . Crazy , I know but just my opinion . Sucks . Billies a good guy .

Is a good guy for sure !

Maybe it was a Tesla.

Seriously, could that have been a combination of alcohol and whatever medication he may have been taking?

Nah. Once he got the car back under his control thankfully the broken glass didn’t puncture his tires and he was able to just roll out and go back home. Probably the safest play. Don’t want that car getting out of control again with all those people at the supermarket. In fact I’m sure he was gonna come back to the scene with a more controllable vehicle. The cops just got to him too quickly.

Well that escalated quickly, as I knew it would.
You're right Pierre, I don't know him. However one thing I do know about is the pain of having to bury my 18 year old brother who died because his brain stem was severed as a result of an accident involving a drunk driver.
Do you have any more names to call me so you feel better about yourself? Go ahead, I'll wait.

Reactions: Ski11585
Myron Cope said he would retire when he lost his edge. A former Steelers employee met with Cope and told him he was losing it and Cope followed through and retired. I

That isn't quite right. Cope told Joe Gordon that if he ever saw that he was slipping that he should go to Cope and tell him that it was time to go. When Gordon saw that he was he told Cope it was time to go. And he did.

A quote in the PG

“That car got away from me,” Mr. Hillgrove told police, according to the affidavit. “I’m telling you the car just got away from me.”

I’ll wait for his partner to tell me what actually happened , just like his broadcast

You're right Pierre, I don't know him. However one thing I do know about is the pain of having to bury my 18 year old brother who died because his brain stem was severed as a result of an accident involving a drunk driver.
Do you have any more names to call me so you feel better about yourself? Go ahead, I'll wait.
I am sorry to hear that my nephew was almost killed by a drunk driver. His whole right side of his body was crushed. I don’t know Bill Hillgrove I am glad nobody got hurt. I hope he gets the help he needs and his family takes away the car keys.

A quote in the PG

I suspect what happened was that he was drunk, pulled into the parking space, and pressed on the the gas pedal instead of the brake causing the car to lurch forward through the store windows.

C'mon, Pierre. I'm waiting.......
I'm very sorry to hear the loss of your brother. When I posted did I know about your loss? I'm not condoning driving under the influence nor the elderly that have dementia etc. But for some who must drink to get their liquid courage when out should have a designated driver now during these times of so much accountability and social media. Bill doesn't need to drink since he's very outgoing when sober. I'm sure Billy didn't mean to do any of this but should heed the warning signs. On a different note I get fumed when police nitpick and follow people that have had a drink or 2. It's an easy arrest for them.
As for Ski liking the post it's right on schedule. Thx

I'm very sorry to hear the loss of your brother. When I posted did I know about your loss? I'm not condoning driving under the influence nor the elderly that have dementia etc. But for some who must drink to get their liquid courage when out should have a designated driver now during these times of so much accountability and social media. Bill doesn't need to drink since he's very outgoing when sober. I'm sure Billy didn't mean to do any of this but should heed the warning signs. On a different note I get fumed when police nitpick and follow people that have had a drink or 2. It's an easy arrest for them.
As for Ski liking the post it's right on schedule. Thx

Yeah. I liked it because I think your stance on this is dumb. I don’t care what a good guy Bill is when he’s putting people at risk like this.

That isn't quite right. Cope told Joe Gordon that if he ever saw that he was slipping that he should go to Cope and tell him that it was time to go. When Gordon saw that he was he told Cope it was time to go. And he did.

Cope made the pact with him, but Cope said he wanted to go if he lost his edge. He needed Gordon to tell him. Not many would own up to that on their own.

I do know him, if you're drunk should never drive.
Sorry about your brother, horrible.

Reactions: TFBaum and mike 301
I like to tilt them as much as the next guy, but the last time I was at Bella Luna, it was BYOB. That might have changed since 2017.
I’ve bumped into Bill H many a time out and about. Last time at LCC, and he was a tad lit.

Now it all makes sense! I thought he was just senile. A great announcer but past his prime.

Reactions: jimh60
I am sorry to hear that my nephew was almost killed by a drunk driver. His whole right side of his body was crushed. I don’t know Bill Hillgrove I am glad nobody got hurt. I hope he gets the help he needs and his family takes away the car keys.
I lost a grandfather to a drunk driver.like already said above Bill is lucky he didn’t hurt himself or someone else.

Its sad, get help Bill!. Pitt and Steelers better be making the phone call for job interviews.
I think both Pitt and the Steelers allow him a farewell season as long as he announces his retirement before the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT