ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Walton

FrogmoreZeke

Redshirt
May 15, 2017
Watching UCLA/USC. Walton actually just suggested the USC player should intentionally throw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock so the subs could get in!! And he was serious cause the play by play man was just as dumbfounded as I was when I heard it. I don't think I have ever heard such a stupid comment.

Watching UCLA/USC. Walton actually just suggested the USC player should intentionally throw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock so the subs could get in!! And he was serious cause the play by play man was just as dumbfounded as I was when I heard it. I don't think I have ever heard such a stupid comment.
Conference of Champions Baby!!!!!

Randy Bennett is an excellent coach.
He really is, was somewhat ahead of the curve with the international players. Now that others have caught on the guy still churns out winning teams every year. Maybe not at the same level as he did, but that is still a really solid program.

He really is, was somewhat ahead of the curve with the international players. Now that others have caught on the guy still churns out winning teams every year. Maybe not at the same level as he did, but that is still a really solid program.
The quality of play in this game vs the crappy teams we have seen in the acc is night and day.

How is he still there?

How is he still there?
I’m assuming he doesnt have much of an ego and is content being a big fish in a small pond. A PAC school comes sniffing around every once in a while but he never seems that interested.

Guy is about to turn 60, at this point I doubt he ever takes another job.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Gonzaga not quite as talented as they were last year, but maybe a little bit better team, especially on the defensive end.
I could see Holmgren being “the guy” who finally gets them the national title. He is going to be a stud in the pros if he grows into his body.

Reactions: BFo8
Gonzaga not quite as talented as they were last year, but maybe a little bit better team, especially on the defensive end.
Holmgren is incredible. He guards guys from one corner to the opposite corner with no problem. His foot work, anticipation, and instincts are off the charts for a 7 footer. I think he makes them better than last year.

Holmgren is incredible. He guards guys from one corner to the opposite corner with no problem. His foot work, anticipation, and instincts are off the charts for a 7 footer. I think he makes them better than last year.
He has become more confident as the season has gone on, and his footwork is what stands out to me.

Always seems to beat his man to the spot and be in the right place at the right time.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Walton used to annoy me, now I kind of enjoy listening to him babble on about whatever pops into his mind. It is comic relief.
Almost embarrassed to admit it, but I’ve nearly come full circle on Walton. If he was announcing games at 9AM local time it wouldn’t play as well, but being the late game at the end of the night his act doesn’t really bother me anymore.

Almost embarrassed to admit it, but I’ve nearly come full circle on Walton. If he was announcing games at 9AM local time it wouldn’t play as well, but being the late game at the end of the night his act doesn’t really bother me anymore.
That is kind of where I was and am. Hated him awhile ago, but have warmed up to him now.

My wife rarely watches any basketball, but she will watch a little bit of Walton’s games when I have them on. She thinks he is a trip too.

Where else can you watch a bball game and also hear about meeting native Americans on peyote spritual pilgrimage.

Ahhh no fun

Call me old fashioned, but I like my game announcers to at least be paying attention to the game that they are supposed to be commenting on. When guys like Walton and Dukie V start thinking that the people watching care more about them than they do about the game I have a problem.

But to each their own. There are obviously people out there who care more about Walton's stories than they do about the basketball game that they are watching. There are obviously people when Vitale is doing a game who care a lot more about what's going on with Duke than they do about the two teams that are actually playing. Fortunately for me, my television gets more than one channel.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my game announcers to at least be paying attention to the game that they are supposed to be commenting on. When guys like Walton and Dukie V start thinking that the people watching care more about them than they do about the game I have a problem.

But to each their own. There are obviously people out there who care more about Walton's stories than they do about the basketball game that they are watching. There are obviously people when Vitale is doing a game who care a lot more about what's going on with Duke than they do about the two teams that are actually playing. Fortunately for me, my television gets more than one channel.
Old fashioned here too. I like to try and learn something about the game and strategy. There are guys like Clarke Kellog and Bill Raftery who add expertise and a little humor that works for me.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

I get it. I just have never understood why people get so bent out of shape with bad announcers. I watch the games, and half of the time don’t listen to what they are talking about because I am commentating myself on the game. So, I can watch a game and also laugh when Walton says something really stupid. The banter between he and Dave Pasch is pretty funny too. Now, if I was Pasch and had to work with him all the time, I’d probably lose my mind.

Reactions: Drew1208
I get it. I just have never understood why people get so bent out of shape with bad announcers. I watch the games, and half of the time don’t listen to what they are talking about because I am commentating myself on the game. So, I can watch a game and also laugh when Walton says something really stupid. The banter between he and Dave Pasch is pretty funny too. Now, if I was Pasch and had to work with him all the time, I’d probably lose my mind.
Yeah i guess I'm the same. I'll listen to Raftery. But i barely pay attention to the announcers...
Now id say I think Walton is prefect for where he is. He should never be asked to anything more or else. Late night west coast games is his pocket

I love Bill Walton. I wouldn't want to listen to his broadcast style every game, but I enjoy his unique perspective and quirkiness. It's a nice change up once in a while. At the end of the day, it's just entertainment.

...suggested the USC player should intentionally throw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock so the subs could get in!! just as dumbfounded as I was when I heard it. I don't think I have ever heard such a stupid comment.
Not a bad idea if it's a blowout and some guys who never ever play want to get a minute or two.

It's painful to listen to Walton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT