ADVERTISEMENT

Starkey and Donnie football on Pitt hoops

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Thought it was interesting what they said today…mostly because it’s been my position on this team on the pay board and some disagree with me. And some will here too.

They said regardless of whether we make the tourney or not, it’s been a successful season. They don’t need some ridiculous advanced metrics and a selection committee to tell them that this isn’t a good team and keep them out of the tourney. They said the fact is they can see with their own eyes that this team is good and has had a good year. Where was this team picked to finish in the ACC?

It’s like Myles Garrett winning defensive player of the year because of “pass rush win rate”, whatever that means. Did he get to the QB or not? He didn’t get to the QB or make as many significant plays as TJ Watt, but the voters voted him the winner based on some pointless metric.

Last edited:
Thought it was interesting what they said today…mostly because it’s been my position on this team on the pay board and some disagree with me. And some will hear too.

They said regardless of whether we make the tourney or not, it’s been a successful season. They don’t need some ridiculous advanced metrics and a selection committee to tell them that this isn’t a good team and keep them out of the tourney. They said the fact is they can see with their own eyes that this team is good and has had a good year. Where was this team picked to finish in the ACC?

It’s like Myles Garrett winning defensive player of the year because of “pass rush win rate”, whatever that means. Did he get to the QB or not? He didn’t get to the QB or make as many significant plays as TJ Watt, but the voters voted him the winner based on some pointless metric.

I agree. Even with a loss tomorrow, this is an NCAA Tournament team. I know what I see. I know they are better than those Mountain West pieces of crap. But they may get left out due to gaming. And maybe that's Pitt's fault that they didnt game. But I give them a pass on that this year. For me, this is 2 good seasons in a row for Capel.

I agree. Even with a loss tomorrow, this is an NCAA Tournament team. I know what I see. I know they are better than those Mountain West pieces of crap. But they may get left out due to gaming. And maybe that's Pitt's fault that they didnt game. But I give them a pass on that this year. For me, this is 2 good seasons in a row for Capel.
Yeah exactly. I forget how Starkey ended his take but he ended it by saying “tournament worthy” like you, or something similar. And that’s the bottom line whether they get in or not.

It’s crazy how bad Miami and Missouri got after our games.

So if those teams didn’t turn out to be POS, we suddenly look so much better?

I know…win and it isn’t an issue. Still frustrating.

Reactions: Elsalvador
Yeah exactly. I forget how Starkey ended his take but he ended it by saying “tournament worthy” like you, or something similar. And that’s the bottom line whether they get in or not.

To some it is. To argue against myself, you could say dont lose to Missouri or dont start 1-5 or beat Miami or schedule better. But, my expectations for this program is Dixon 2, a bubble program. And we are right there. Bubble programs lose games like that. It would be nice to be a 4-5-6 NCAAT type of seed every once in awhile and maybe we get there eventually but my expectations are to simply be good enough to make the NCAA Tournament. And we are.

To some it is. To argue against myself, you could say dont lose to Missouri or dont start 1-5 or beat Miami or schedule better. But, my expectations for this program is Dixon 2, a bubble program. And we are right there. Bubble programs lose games like that. It would be nice to be a 4-5-6 NCAAT type of seed every once in awhile and maybe we get there eventually but my expectations are to simply be good enough to make the NCAA Tournament. And we are.
In May be Dixon 2 level record wise, but it is better talent wise. When did we have a freshmen backcourt this talented under Jamie? The way we finished we could have been vying for maybe a 4 or 5 seed. Unfortunately for us, it took some time for these guys to gel. Had we had even a decent start to our conference season and also beaten Missouri, we wouldn't be sweating to see our name called.
Just remember, under Jamie 2 this program was unquestionably trending down. We are beginning to trend up, especially if we can keep our players and find a legitimate 5.

In May be Dixon 2 level record wise, but it is better talent wise. When did we have a freshmen backcourt this talented under Jamie? The way we finished we could have been vying for maybe a 4 or 5 seed. Unfortunately for us, it took some time for these guys to gel. Had we had even a decent start to our conference season and also beaten Missouri, we wouldn't be sweating to see our name called.
Just remember, under Jamie 2 this program was unquestionably trending down. We are beginning to trend up, especially if we can keep our players and find a legitimate 5.

The talent in the program during most of Dixon 2 was shockingly low and Dixon did a HOF-worthy job just to get those teams to the bubble. We had starting backcourts of James Robinson, Chris Jones, Cam Wright, Sterling Smith, etc paired with literally no Center. He was an excellent coach though. There is no question that Capel 2 teams are much more talented than Dixon 2 teams. As further evidence of this, Capel advanced past his seed line, something Dixon has never done in his entire career beyond beating the 8 as a 9 seed. In the end, the results are the same. So Dixon 2 = Capel 2.

What is a Donny Football and why do we care what he thinks? And Joe Starkey knows Pitt basketball had a season?
We shouldn’t care, I’ll give you that. But this time we do because they agree with me. And it’s fun to point out when “media” guys in Pgh are complimentary of Pitt because insecure Pitt fans on the Lair believe that it never happens.

Thought it was interesting what they said today…mostly because it’s been my position on this team on the pay board and some disagree with me. And some will here too.

I agree. All of this metrics crap is noise to me. Use your eyes and your head. Pitt had a very good season, especially considering where we started. It took some time to get these guys to play together as a team and to know each other. Many of them barely knew each other for the OOC games. They should be in the NCAAT if you leave out all the foolishness of NET and everything else and just look at them with your own eyes.

We have to keep Bub and Jaland together and Ish has to stay. In this screwed up age of NIL, we may run into the same thing next year with trying to get a bunch of new guys to play together as a team and getting to know each other all over again.

We shouldn’t care, I’ll give you that. But this time we do because they agree with me. And it’s fun to point out when “media” guys in Pgh are complimentary of Pitt because insecure Pitt fans on the Lair believe that it never happens.
haha fair enough. I haven't listened to the Fan in years outside of Pitt or Pirates games. Surprised Starkey could take enough time away from his whiffleball stories to talk about Pitt.

haha fair enough. I haven't listened to the Fan in years outside of Pitt or Pirates games. Surprised Starkey could take enough time away from his whiffleball stories to talk about Pitt.
He’s a flake. No doubt. And he’s a casual Pitt basketball fan. But I enjoyed their discussion.

I did not expect the NCAAT this season, so I definitely think it's been a success. Highest finish in the ACC, I believe, and we definitely became a tournament team - whether we make it or not - once our freshmen hit their stride. That said, I'm not sure how much it means if we lose Hinson and Bub.

The talent in the program during most of Dixon 2 was shockingly low and Dixon did a HOF-worthy job just to get those teams to the bubble. We had starting backcourts of James Robinson, Chris Jones, Cam Wright, Sterling Smith, etc paired with literally no Center. He was an excellent coach though. There is no question that Capel 2 teams are much more talented than Dixon 2 teams. As further evidence of this, Capel advanced past his seed line, something Dixon has never done in his entire career beyond beating the 8 as a 9 seed. In the end, the results are the same. So Dixon 2 = Capel 2.

His last team had talent. Michael Young, Jamel Artis, James Robinson, Cam Johnson, and Sheldon Jeter... I mean, they weren't oozing with talent, but that isn't awful. It's become so fashionable to call James Robinson overrated that I think he probably circled back around to being underrated a bit.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
They need to look at how the team has gotten better winning 11 out of 14 games against a good schedule. All conference games. NC State is now a quad 1 win. The team is playing well in March.

Reactions: H-Burg Panther
His last team had talent. Michael Young, Jamel Artis, James Robinson, Cam Johnson, and Sheldon Jeter... I mean, they weren't oozing with talent, but that isn't awful. It's become so fashionable to call James Robinson overrated that I think he probably circled back around to being underrated a bit.

Agree. That team was very talented. Robinson wasn't a flashy guard but he was steady and you had confidence that when he had the ball, it was in good hands. The rest of those guys were at least as talented as the group we have now, maybe a bit more. The difference was as a TEAM, the current group matured together and grew up during the season to play as a team. That Dixon group wasn't nearly the team this year's group is. But that's just my opinion.

I did not expect the NCAAT this season, so I definitely think it's been a success. Highest finish in the ACC, I believe, and we definitely became a tournament team - whether we make it or not - once our freshmen hit their stride. That said, I'm not sure how much it means if we lose Hinson and Bub.

If we lose today, the NCAAT is not going to happen, even though we'd be an NCAAT team. If we win, I think we'll need to win 1 more to be sure, but it should put us in. You never know with the nerds that run these things though, with crap like NET and Q this and Q that. I don't give a flying rat's behind about that metric nonsense. I know what I see and this Pitt team deserves to be in the NCAAT.

If we lose today, the NCAAT is not going to happen, even though we'd be an NCAAT team. If we win, I think we'll need to win 1 more to be sure, but it should put us in. You never know with the nerds that run these things though, with crap like NET and Q this and Q that. I don't give a flying rat's behind about that metric nonsense. I know what I see and this Pitt team deserves to be in the NCAAT.

Yeah, I'm just saying we became an NCAAT quality team. It remains to be seen if we actually get in, thanks to the first two months in the season. We definitely have to win today to even think about getting in, like you said.

Pitt never NEEDED both guard spots once Ben/Jamie arrived.. Kids stayed in school and didn't transfer. and the Wannamaker kid had to wait, etc.
I'd love to see these 2 guys come back next year. Tremendous talents and great to watch. Kudos to Capel.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Pitt never NEEDED both guard spots once Ben/Jamie arrived.. Kids stayed in school and didn't transfer. and the Wannamaker kid had to wait, etc.
I'd love to see these 2 guys come back next year. Tremendous talents and great to watch. Kudos to Capel.

I think we'll know soon enough who is coming back. I hope everyone who can, does.

Based on listening to Starkey from time to time I would say that THE FAN is over paying him

Pitt should be in the tournament, regardless of what happens today. But, it looks like they will miss the tourney and possibly only four ACC teams will make it. Meantime, the Big Ten and SEC love what happened to FSU in football and what is happening to the ACC in the NCAA tournament selection. It just adds more gasoline to the fire of the ACC. The humongous state universities in those two conferences have tons of media influence. And the bias and control by those two conferences is getting worse every year.

Robinson stunk. Cam was a freshman. He was good but an average ACC player as a frosh. And they didnt have a 5.

Robinson stunk. Cam was a freshman. He was good but an average ACC player as a frosh. And they didnt have a 5.

I'm not sure if you've heard about his assist-to-turnover ratio, but...

Anyway, yeah - not saying the team was perfect. It was Johnson's second year, though, despite still being a freshman. We obviously needed a lot more out of a guy like Alonzo Nelson-Odoba, and that just didn't happen. Was Sterling Smith much worse than Greg Elliot? Not sure if it was just a lack of volume thing, since he was playing with the Brothers Pump. But he didn't get a lot of minutes, so maybe he was... unless Dixon just Trey Zeiglered him.

I talk out of both sides of my mouth when it comes to JRob. I think Jamie put his eggs in JRobs basket for 4 years to a detriment to the team and program. The program had the personality of the PG…which was blah.

But then we found out what life was like without JRob. We went from a bubble team barely making the NCAA with him to 4-14 the next year without him. But then again, if we had a viable guy on the roster with him, he’d have been there for Stallings the next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT