ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Nix not opting out against Liberty?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
WTF Why?

I believe this means Pickett is still the only QB to opt out of a New Years Six game. Pitt always sets unique records.

First and 3 of the 1st 4 true sophomores to declare for the draft (Fitz, Mike Williams, Shady, Dion).

First major award winner to transfer

First QB to opt out of NY6 bowl

First program to start a QB who had the Yips.

Loyalty, pro town, the athletics dept? All true…..more than a little frustrating. @pghsonj1325 will try to refute futilely the Pickett point unless you can provide a citation from Wikipedia but it’s correct. Whatever the reason, Pitt’s athletes have never been reluctant to hit the road.

WTF Why?

I believe this means Pickett is still the only QB to opt out of a New Years Six game. Pitt always sets unique records.

First and 3 of the 1st 4 true sophomores to declare for the draft (Fitz, Mike Williams, Shady, Dion).

WTF Why?..honor, loyalty, respect of teammates.. I know, concepts not easy to grasp in 2023....Today is December 7th. On December 8th, 1941 young men enlisted en masse with their friends with no regard of what that might mean to their "future earnings" No one said to them WTF Why? ...don't see that happening nowadays.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonofabit
WTF Why?..honor, loyalty, respect of teammates.. I know, concepts not easy to grasp in 2023....Today is December 7th. On December 8th, 1941 young men enlisted en masse with their friends with no regard of what that might mean to their "future earnings" No one said to them WTF Why? ...don't see that happening nowadays.

Oregon's season is over. Playing an exhibition game against LIBERTY is about as bad of a business decision as you can make. Hopefully, this is just a ticket-sales ploy and he plays one series. BTW, that's what Pitt and Kenny should have done. He wants to opt out, fine, that's smart. But dont actually say that. Have him hand the ball off 3 times and get him out. You say he got the flu or something and wasn't feeling right and couldn't continue. They sell a few thousand more tickets that way

Reactions: Las Panteras
Oregon's season is over. Playing an exhibition game against LIBERTY is about as bad of a business decision as you can make. Hopefully, this is just a ticket-sales ploy and he plays one series. BTW, that's what Pitt and Kenny should have done. He wants to opt out, fine, that's smart. But dont actually say that. Have him hand the ball off 3 times and get him out. You say he got the flu or something and wasn't feeling right and couldn't continue. They sell a few thousand more tickets that way
Pitt did worse than that…they announced Pickett wouldn’t play the day or two after the deadline for ordering tix for the bowl…real crafty and a very “fan centric” ploy. I’m sure they knew Pickett wasn’t playing when Whipple and Narduzzi announced their divorce.

How little are bowl games about ‘selling a few thousand more tickets’?

Maybe to the participating schools so they can say they travel well and sold out their allotment but to the actual bowls, probably not much.

Nix is in a total different position than Kenny was, he sits out and Penix, McCarthy and Beck shine in the playoffs he's bumped down to the mid to late 2nd round in the draft.

Pitt did worse than that…they announced Pickett wouldn’t play the day or two after the deadline for ordering tix for the bowl…real crafty and a very “fan centric” ploy. I’m sure they knew Pickett wasn’t playing when Whipple and Narduzzi announced their divorce.

It was that late? I dont remember there being a deadline, maybe for like the folks who wanted their primary seat selection but you mean Pitt couldn't sell you a ticket on like Dec 27? Either way, Pitt should have waited as long as possible, perhaps the day of the game. Covid was going crazy then. Heck, we all had it and still went down though the game was like Day 5 or whatever but if you saw me the day before, I was out and about illegally. They could have said he had Covid symptoms or whatever.

Nix is in a total different position than Kenny was, he sits out and Penix, McCarthy and Beck shine in the playoffs he's bumped down to the mid to late 2nd round in the draft.

NFL scouts are going to drop him 30 spots for not playing vs Liberty when there's so much other tape on him? No.

NFL scouts are going to drop him 30 spots for not playing vs Liberty when there's so much other tape on him? No.
Most mock drafts have him going to the Vikings at 21, that's without McCarthy and Beck factored in since they haven't declared yet, if he doesn't get picked there he's falling to the mid to late 2nd round. Penix is all over the place in mock drafts but a good playoff moves him up.

Kenny opted out when he was the only 1st round caliber QB in the draft, this draft has multiple first rounders before we even get to Nix.

Reactions: pittdan77
Most mock drafts have him going to the Vikings at 21, that's without McCarthy and Beck factored in since they haven't declared yet, if he doesn't get picked there he's falling to the mid to late 2nd round. Penix is all over the place in mock drafts but a good playoff moves him up.

Kenny opted out when he was the only 1st round caliber QB in the draft, this draft has multiple first rounders before we even get to Nix.

Whether he plays vs Liberty has no bearing on his stock. If anything, it can hurt it. If he throws for 500 yards and 5 TD's, it wont help. Its Liberty and they already have tape.

WTF Why?

not true sophomores. True sophomores are not allowed to be drafted.

I see Bo Nix as a slightly poor man's Pickett. Doubt he goes in the 1st, but maybe.

I wish they would get rid of the bowl games. I used to tell people who said that, "Nobody is making you watch them," but now it annoys me that they even happen. As soon as Greta Thunberg's private jet touches down, I'm going to give her a call and see if we can't get these things stopped in the name of reducing the carbon footprint.

I see Bo Nix as a slightly poor man's Pickett. Doubt he goes in the 1st, but maybe.

I wish they would get rid of the bowl games. I used to tell people who said that, "Nobody is making you watch them," but now it annoys me that they even happen. As soon as Greta Thunberg's private jet touches down, I'm going to give her a call and see if we can't get these things stopped in the name of reducing the carbon footprint.

There just has to be a better model than sending 2 teams thousands of miles from home to play in a private for-profit (but technically a non-profit since the CEO and a few others keep the profits) outsourced game. Maybe they need to cut the regular season some and do a 32 team playoff. I dont know but bowl games are really stupid.

WTF Why?

Craig Heyward, “What about me, I was one of the first undergraduate players to leave for the NFL.”

It was that late? I dont remember there being a deadline, maybe for like the folks who wanted their primary seat selection but you mean Pitt couldn't sell you a ticket on like Dec 27? Either way, Pitt should have waited as long as possible, perhaps the day of the game. Covid was going crazy then. Heck, we all had it and still went down though the game was like Day 5 or whatever but if you saw me the day before, I was out and about illegally. They could have said he had Covid symptoms or whatever.
Yep, there was a deadline for ordering tix thru Pitt…my buddies and I all commented on how the Pickett announcement closely followed that deadline.

There just has to be a better model than sending 2 teams thousands of miles from home to play in a private for-profit (but technically a non-profit since the CEO and a few others keep the profits) outsourced game. Maybe they need to cut the regular season some and do a 32 team playoff. I dont know but bowl games are really stupid.

I'd have to have a better understanding of the financial trail. I have seen people say some schools lose money (they have to buy a ticket allotment which they aren't always able to resell to their fans, plus cover travel costs) on these games, but I'm pretty sure they generate revenue for the conference which ultimately circles back to them.

I mean, I would definitely start by increasing the playoff to 16 and starting it sooner. No need for a month-long lag; that's ridiculous. That gives you 15 games and a 4-week tournament. Doesn't really solve the problem, though, which is these networks needing crap games to fill up 26 more time slots.

I'd have to have a better understanding of the financial trail. I have seen people say some schools lose money (they have to buy a ticket allotment which they aren't always able to resell to their fans, plus cover travel costs) on these games, but I'm pretty sure they generate revenue for the conference which ultimately circles back to them.

I mean, I would definitely start by increasing the playoff to 16 and starting it sooner. No need for a month-long lag; that's ridiculous. That gives you 15 games and a 4-week tournament. Doesn't really solve the problem, though, which is these networks needing crap games to fill up 26 more time slots.
Next year when the playoff expands the 1st round will be December 20 & 21, quarterfinals Dec. 31 and Jan. 1, semifinals Jan. 9 & 10 and the final on Jan. 20.

WTF Why?

Worked out pretty well for Pickett, didn't it?

Well there is the H word - even tho he may not have a chance to win it after losing games to Pennix.

I know Fitz wasn’t. Nor Shady. Both went to prep school. Question of semantics. Both were 3 years removed.

What is it about 2nd year sophomore do you not understand. We had 3 of the 1st 4 2nd year sophomores to leave early and Fitz was the 1st.

WTF Why?

Maybe his NIL contract says so.

I'd have to have a better understanding of the financial trail. I have seen people say some schools lose money (they have to buy a ticket allotment which they aren't always able to resell to their fans, plus cover travel costs) on these games,
That's often the case with the Boca Raton-type bowls, but schools will take the bid anyway for the extra practice time, or just for being able to say they went to the XYZ Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT