ADVERTISEMENT

Boston College Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** That seemed a bit harder than it should have been, but it's simply great to FINALLY get an ACC win.

** I'm especially glad because I made a "bold prediction" for a win, and I made a "bold prediction" about a year ago which really did not work out so well. :(

** But mostly I'm really happy for this team. We've all commented how they haven't quit, and it was great for them get rewarded for this effort with a W.

** And I confess that I was ready for the loss when the score went tied with the end of an 8-0 BC run with under two minutes. I was even ready for the final layup to go down. I don't think I can be blamed for such concerns.

** But too much Big John all game long kept that from happening.

** John's work today was pretty special of course. He's playing his way toward All-ACC. He's probably already there.

** As I watched LSU/Tennessee, I was reminded how disappointed we all were that we didn't get Efton Reid, and only saw John's reinstatement as something of a consolation prize. We were wrong.

** Nonetheless, if I was a BC fan, I would wonder a little about the strategy to resist the double team to stop John. Perhaps they were playing straight up to keep other Panthers from beating you, but which Panther can really beat you besides John?

** Not only did this strategy lead to Hugley's huge day, but tons of BC foul trouble, which may have been the biggest difference in the contest.

** Another difference was the second half perimeter scoring from Femi and Burton. Their scoring never really came from great offense -- but both just made some shots. Sometimes it's that simple.

** Congrats to Will. This young man didn't have many fans left before the game, and even fewer if any after a miserable first half. But he did everything he needed to do to in the second half to help his team win. Hopefully he can build on it.

** I got a kick out of the Capel's first timeout when he called out his team for being down 7-2. In the quiet Pete confines, you could clearly hear him yell "Wake the %$@& Up!"

** That helped a little, but it wasn't a pure antidote. The Panthers never seemed like they were at their best all game long, especially on the defensive end. But they were good enough, especially knowing that BC hit some really deep shots. I don't know if we expected that, but we better account for it going forward.

** Biggest "unsung" play of the game. Eze tips away a rebound from BC with under a minute to go, when it looked like the Eagles were going to grab their second straight offensive carom. He wanted it more.

** After that, there's not much else to talk about because our bench has grown remarkably thin. 30 minutes of bench time (27 from a former walk on) is an issue, but I doubt that can be rectified this year unfortunately, unless Ithiel returns soon.

** I don't have any additional comment on Ithiel's situation other than it's just really disappointing how this has played out. It might have been better for Horton and his teammates had he never been reinstated in the first place.

** Maybe one of our super rules gurus can explain something to me regarding the loose ball the Panthers received around the four minute mark. It would seem like the Panthers didn't get a shot clock violation because it was ruled that BC possesses the ball. But if that's the case, why did we get just 20 seconds on the shot clock instead of 30.

** Little worry though, the Panthers found Big John just a few seconds later for an easy two.

** Yep ... that was the theme of the night ... finding John. It was a nice theme -- a winning theme -- and for this fan, a really fun theme.

** Congrats to our Panthers! Let's see if we can make it two in a row on Tuesday in the Dome. No "bold predictions" this time though.

About time they won a close one !

Hugley‘s approaching beast material , as he gets fitter he’s going to be unstoppable .

Hopefully someone downtown will come to their senses and get this Horton case finished .

Jeffress mid range stuff looks really good , he doesn’t shoot the 3 very well . Sounds like Cam Wright .

This won’t be the only W more are coming and if the Horton situation gets resolved even a few more .

Reactions: jctrack and TWPitt
I think, although I'm not exactly certain, is that it was reset to 30 because BC was judged to have gained and then lost possession and had the possession arrow. If we had the arrow then it would have only reset to 20 seconds.

Reactions: cabe23
** That seemed a bit harder than it should have been, but it's simply great to FINALLY get an ACC win.

** I'm especially glad because I made a "bold prediction" for a win, and I made a "bold prediction" about a year ago which really did not work out so well. :(

** But mostly I'm really happy for this team. We've all commented how they haven't quit, and it was great for them get rewarded for this effort with a W.

** And I confess that I was ready for the loss when the score went tied with the end of an 8-0 BC run with under two minutes. I was even ready for the final layup to go down. I don't think I can be blamed for such concerns.

** John's work today was pretty special of course. He's playing his was toward All-ACC. He's probably already there.

** As I watched LSU/Tennessee, I was reminded how disappointed we all were that we didn't get Efton Reid, and only saw John's reinstatement as something of a consolation prize. We were wrong.

** Nonetheless, if I was a BC fan, I would wonder a little about the strategy to resist the double team to stop John. Perhaps they were playing straight up to keep other Panthers from beating you, but which Panther can really beat you besides John?

** Not only did this strategy lead to Hugley's huge day, but tons of BC foul trouble, which may have been the biggest difference in the contest.

** Another difference was the second half perimeter scoring from Femi and Burton. Their scoring never really came from great offense -- but both just made some shots. Sometimes it's that simple.

** Congrats to Will. This young man didn't have many fans left before the game, and even fewer if any after a miserable first half. But he did everything he needed to do to in the second half to help his team win. Hopefully he can build on it.

** I got a kick out of the Capel's first timeout when he called out his team for being down 7-2. In the quiet Pete confines, you could clearly hear him yell "Wake the %$@& Up!"

** That helped a little, but it wasn't a pure antidote. The Panthers never seemed like they were at their best all game long, especially on the defensive end. But they were good enough, especially knowing that BC hit some really deep shots. I don't know if we expected that, but we better account for it going forward.

** Biggest "unsung" play of the game. Eze tips away a rebound from BC with under a minute to go, when it looked like the Eagles were going to grab their second straight offensive carom. He wanted it more.

** After that, there's not much else to talk about because our bench has grown remarkably thin. 30 minutes of bench time (27 from a former walk on) is an issue, but not one that can be rectified this year unfortunately, unless Ithiel returns soon.

** I don't have any additional comment on Ithiel's situation other than it's just really disappointing how this has played out. It might have been better for Horton and his teammates had he never been reinstated in the first place.

** Maybe one of our super rules gurus can explain something to me regarding the loose ball the Panthers received around the four minute mark. It would seem like the Panthers didn't get a shot clock violation because it was ruled that BC possesses the ball. But if that's the case, why did we get just 20 seconds on the shot clock instead of 30.

** Little worry though, the Panthers found Big John just a few seconds later for an easy two.

** Yep ... that was the theme of the night ... finding John. It was a nice theme -- a winning theme -- and for this fan, a really fun theme.

** Congrats to our Panthers! Let's see if we can make it two in a row on Tuesday in the Dome. No "bold predictions" this time though.
I just watched a replay of the out of bounds when Pitt was given the ball with 20 on the shot clock, and the announcer said something about it being 20 because BC had possession, but the ball never left Pitt's side of the court. He wasn't clear about it, but that may be the only thing that makes sense.

Also watched the play where Femi picked up his 5th foul, and it sure looked like he did not foul the shooter.

Reactions: TWPitt
I think, although I'm not exactly certain, is that it was reset to 30 because BC was judged to have gained and then lost possession and had the possession arrow. If we had the arrow then it would have only reset to 20 seconds.
Why would the possession arrow be a factor, when the ball went out off BC? And it was reset to 20.

Reactions: rockypanther
And why didn’t BC play zone all game??

I don't know enough about BC to know if they ever go zone, but it certainly begs the question doesn't it?

Something else that should be noted was that we went 6-14 from three -- 43%. Not great, but not too shabby. But a heck of a lot better than our 2-17 against The Citadel, or the 10 total threes we shot in the WVU and UNC Willmington games combined.

At the time, it looked like we couldn't score at all from three.

It wasn’t reset to 30. It was 20. Which is why it was confusing… because that meant possession never changed… which also means it should have been a shot clock violation.

Why would the possession arrow be a factor, when the ball went out off BC? And it was reset to 20.

Oh, well that's correct then. Under the new rule possession changes in the forecourt are 20 seconds, the same as an offensive rebound in order to speed up the pace of play.

I misread the question.

Reactions: CCHS82

I'm not sure what the possession arrow would have to do with it though. A held ball was not called. Why would the possession arrow come into play at all without a held ball.

Oh, well that's correct then. Under the new rule possession changes in the forecourt are 20 seconds, the same as an offensive rebound in order to speed up the pace of play.

I misread the question.

OK ... so what you are saying is -- let's say that Pitt shoots and BC grabs the rebound and dribbles twice and then just throws it out of bounds without crossing the time line, then it's Pitt ball with 20 seconds on the shot clock. Is this correct?

About time they won a close one !

Hugley‘s approaching beast material , as he gets fitter he’s going to be unstoppable .

Hopefully someone downtown will come to their senses and get this Horton case finished .

Jeffress mid range stuff looks really good , he doesn’t shoot the 3 very well . Sounds like Cam Wright .

This won’t be the only W more are coming and if the Horton situation gets resolved even a few more .

I might have even made a "bold prediction" for Pitt to beat the Cuse in the Zone if Ithiel was available.

Reactions: jctrack
OK ... so what you are saying is -- let's say that Pitt shoots and BC grabs the rebound and dribbles twice and then just throws it out of bounds without crossing the time line, then it's Pitt ball with 20 seconds on the shot clock. Is this correct?
That’s how I’m understanding it

which I guess is true if a defensive rebound gets jostled and out of bounds . Back to the offense with 20 seconds

** John's work today was pretty special of course. He's playing his was toward All-ACC. He's probably already there.

** After that, there's not much else to talk about because our bench has grown remarkably thin. 30 minutes of bench time (27 from a former walk on) is an issue, but not one that can be rectified this year unfortunately, unless Ithiel returns soon.

Did they give them 30? On TV they said the refs claimed BC had possession and would only get 20. I wonder if the scoreboard guys just screwed up.

Did they give them 30? On TV they said the refs claimed BC had possession and would only get 20. I wonder if the scoreboard guys just screwed up.

No we got 20. I was wondering why if BC was ruled to have possession, why it didn't go to 30.

I just watched a replay of the out of bounds when Pitt was given the ball with 20 on the shot clock, and the announcer said something about it being 20 because BC had possession, but the ball never left Pitt's side of the court. He wasn't clear about it, but that may be the only thing that makes sense.

Also watched the play where Femi picked up his 5th foul, and it sure looked like he did not foul the shooter.
Femi never touched him in his 5th foul.

That’s how I’m understanding it

which I guess is true if a defensive rebound gets jostled and out of bounds . Back to the offense with 20 seconds
I understand that rules. But there was never a shot clock reset on this one (there was never a shot).

I'm not sure what the possession arrow would have to do with it though. A held ball was not called. Why would the possession arrow come into play at all without a held ball.

There's a funny bit in the new rules about turnovers in the front court, kicked balls, and the possession arrow where you CAN get 30 seconds but it's very confusingly worded. That's the only time that the arrow matters. When I misread the question I assumed that we got 30 so I was thinking that perhaps the BC player had touched it last with his foot.

Yep, thats the new rule. Any front court inbound without the ball crossing half court is a 20 second clock now.

There's a funny bit in the new rules about turnovers in the front court, kicked balls, and the possession arrow where you CAN get 30 seconds but it's very confusingly worded. That's the only time that the arrow matters. When I misread the question I assumed that we got 30 so I was thinking that perhaps the BC player had touched it last with his foot.

Yep, thats the new rule. Any front court inbound without the ball crossing half court is a 20 second clock now.
Got it -- simple as that.

Reactions: thirteenNINE
Something else that should be noted was that we went 6-14 from three -- 43%. Not great, but not too shabby. But a heck of a lot better than our 2-17 against The Citadel, or the 10 total threes we shot in the WVU and UNC Willmington games combined.
True, better than what
we did against Citadel or
for that matter almost
everyone else Tonight's.
43% is great when you
consider we average 30%.

IMO here are the other
stats that mattered, REALLY
mattered tonight.....Ft's
we shot great, 23-28 for
82%. BC was 14-19, 73%.
Bottom line...we beat
them at the line. 82% for
us is more than great, in
fact it's great for any team.

BTW, we also outrebounded
them.
Also, some guy named Hugley!

Last edited:
Olidapo I heard was injured.
Payton? The little I've seen
of him.....yes, that bad. As
for Santos, I'd like to see
him getting a few minutes
if possible.
With Horton presumably done now
We could use his length and shot for stretches

Agree, but in the two games against the Cuse last year, Horton averaged 17PPG and shot 9-21 from three.
Knowing this - why did you think Horton/Sibande combined would only be worth 15 per game this year? Not cherry picking posts of yours but I was posting in the same thread. Realize Cuse plays D differently but I thought the backcourt this year could have been fairly good. No need to rehash yearlong stats from a year ago but I thought each was good for double digits this year.

Knowing this - why did you think Horton/Sibande combined would only be worth 15 per game this year? Not cherry picking posts of yours but I was posting in the same thread. Realize Cuse plays D differently but I thought the backcourt this year could have been fairly good. No need to rehash yearlong stats from a year ago but I thought each was good for double digits this year.

You might have to point me to that thread so that I have full context of what I may have said. I don't exactly recall having a specific number of points per game that I would have thought Horton/Nike would have scored combined.

I was confused during our game as well, but for anyone who watched the Duke - Miami game tonight the same thing happened in that game and they reset the shot clock to 20, just like in our game. I wasn't paying 100% attention, but one of the announcers did say that they did that because of the new rule, out of bounds in the backcourt resets the shot clock only to 20.

Reactions: pittjas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT