ADVERTISEMENT

Boston College Game & Other Dribbles ...

We might see Santos against the Cuse zone.
He BETTER play against the zone! DT, do you have any insight as to why Santos has disappeared from the rotation completely..? He is one kid on this roster who is a pure shooter and looks like a shooter. This isn’t the type of team where an asset like that is ignored completely all Of the sudden?

Reactions: rockypanther
He BETTER play against the zone! DT, do you have any insight as to why Santos has disappeared from the rotation completely..? He is one kid on this roster who is a pure shooter and looks like a shooter. This isn’t the type of team where an asset like that is ignored completely all Of the sudden?
Not any more insight than any of us.

I can only offer two things from my observations.

1. He not a pure shooter. Just look at his numbers- he shot 4-8 in one game and has been terrible otherwsise. He’s shooting 24% from three over all. Toss out that one game and he’s 4-25 for the year.

2. Defensively he’s well behind Will and Eze.

1. He not a pure shooter. Just look at his numbers- he shot 4-8 in one game and has been terrible otherwsise. He’s shooting 24% from three over all. Toss out that one game and he’s 4-25 for the year.

You’re right, I just have the memory in my head of him drilling those Trey balls early in the year, he’s got a waaaaaaays to go on defense, he does give us another threat against the zone however and I hope he plays. What are we thinking about Will in the middle of that zone? I think he’d be perfect for it.

Reactions: jctrack
You might have to point me to that thread so that I have full context of what I may have said. I don't exactly recall having a specific number of points per game that I would have thought Horton/Nike would have scored combined.
12/19/21. “Been searching….” thread. Again no big deal. Capel outwardly thinking 24 points a game when stuff hit the fan. That’s where my thinking is/was.

Reactions: Silkky1982
** That seemed a bit harder than it should have been, but it's simply great to FINALLY get an ACC win.

** I'm especially glad because I made a "bold prediction" for a win, and I made a "bold prediction" about a year ago which really did not work out so well. :(

** But mostly I'm really happy for this team. We've all commented how they haven't quit, and it was great for them get rewarded for this effort with a W.

** And I confess that I was ready for the loss when the score went tied with the end of an 8-0 BC run with under two minutes. I was even ready for the final layup to go down. I don't think I can be blamed for such concerns.

** But too much Big John all game long kept that from happening.

** John's work today was pretty special of course. He's playing his was toward All-ACC. He's probably already there.

** As I watched LSU/Tennessee, I was reminded how disappointed we all were that we didn't get Efton Reid, and only saw John's reinstatement as something of a consolation prize. We were wrong.

** Nonetheless, if I was a BC fan, I would wonder a little about the strategy to resist the double team to stop John. Perhaps they were playing straight up to keep other Panthers from beating you, but which Panther can really beat you besides John?

** Not only did this strategy lead to Hugley's huge day, but tons of BC foul trouble, which may have been the biggest difference in the contest.

** Another difference was the second half perimeter scoring from Femi and Burton. Their scoring never really came from great offense -- but both just made some shots. Sometimes it's that simple.

** Congrats to Will. This young man didn't have many fans left before the game, and even fewer if any after a miserable first half. But he did everything he needed to do to in the second half to help his team win. Hopefully he can build on it.

** I got a kick out of the Capel's first timeout when he called out his team for being down 7-2. In the quiet Pete confines, you could clearly hear him yell "Wake the %$@& Up!"

** That helped a little, but it wasn't a pure antidote. The Panthers never seemed like they were at their best all game long, especially on the defensive end. But they were good enough, especially knowing that BC hit some really deep shots. I don't know if we expected that, but we better account for it going forward.

** Biggest "unsung" play of the game. Eze tips away a rebound from BC with under a minute to go, when it looked like the Eagles were going to grab their second straight offensive carom. He wanted it more.

** After that, there's not much else to talk about because our bench has grown remarkably thin. 30 minutes of bench time (27 from a former walk on) is an issue, but I doubt that can be rectified this year unfortunately, unless Ithiel returns soon.

** I don't have any additional comment on Ithiel's situation other than it's just really disappointing how this has played out. It might have been better for Horton and his teammates had he never been reinstated in the first place.

** Maybe one of our super rules gurus can explain something to me regarding the loose ball the Panthers received around the four minute mark. It would seem like the Panthers didn't get a shot clock violation because it was ruled that BC possesses the ball. But if that's the case, why did we get just 20 seconds on the shot clock instead of 30.

** Little worry though, the Panthers found Big John just a few seconds later for an easy two.

** Yep ... that was the theme of the night ... finding John. It was a nice theme -- a winning theme -- and for this fan, a really fun theme.

** Congrats to our Panthers! Let's see if we can make it two in a row on Tuesday in the Dome. No "bold predictions" this time though.
New novel just out: "Finding John" by Jeff Capel

You’re right, I just have the memory in my head of him drilling those Trey balls early in the year, he’s got a waaaaaaays to go on defense, he does give us another threat against the zone however and I hope he plays. What are we thinking about Will in the middle of that zone? I think he’d be perfect for it.

I would love to see John at the FT line in the ‘cuse zone with Gueye running baseline for jams.

John’s big enough to see over the zone , a much better passer than Will and he isn’t afraid to put it on the floor and drive either.

I would love to see John at the FT line in the ‘cuse zone with Gueye running baseline for jams.

John’s big enough to see over the zone , a much better passer than Will and he isn’t afraid to put it on the floor and drive either.
Part of me wonders if this isn’t a good opportunity for Collier and/or Oladapo to hang out along the baselines and get a lot of finishing opportunities.

Part of me wonders if this isn’t a good opportunity for Collier and/or Oladapo to hang out along the baselines and get a lot of finishing opportunities.
Yeah I wonder too if we see Oladapo and Santos against Cuse.

I like his form though and think he could become better with more reps. I also liked his aggressiveness and rebounding as a freshman. It’s sad though that this was the best we could do with our high school recruiting last year.

He would have to be able to turn and be an offensive threat when he catches it. I don’t like his finishing ability from that spot. The only maybe player would be JB and have someone else run point.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
We might see Santos against the Cuse zone.
We might, but here's why
we haven't been seeing
him lately.....His FG% and
his 3 pt% is less than the
team averages. He's 24%
on threes, while the team
is 30%. FG's he's 33%. while
the team is at 41%. Given
his poor defense, it's clear
to me why we haven't seen
him on the floor. Even on
a poor shooting team, he
isn't a plus. Ezzy, who is no
shooting threat is 40% FG's,
and suprisingly to me is
44% on his 3's.

Again, Santos is a frosh, so
I believe he gets a pass.

** That seemed a bit harder than it should have been, but it's simply great to FINALLY get an ACC win.

** I'm especially glad because I made a "bold prediction" for a win, and I made a "bold prediction" about a year ago which really did not work out so well. :(

** But mostly I'm really happy for this team. We've all commented how they haven't quit, and it was great for them get rewarded for this effort with a W.

** And I confess that I was ready for the loss when the score went tied with the end of an 8-0 BC run with under two minutes. I was even ready for the final layup to go down. I don't think I can be blamed for such concerns.

** But too much Big John all game long kept that from happening.

** John's work today was pretty special of course. He's playing his was toward All-ACC. He's probably already there.

** As I watched LSU/Tennessee, I was reminded how disappointed we all were that we didn't get Efton Reid, and only saw John's reinstatement as something of a consolation prize. We were wrong.

** Nonetheless, if I was a BC fan, I would wonder a little about the strategy to resist the double team to stop John. Perhaps they were playing straight up to keep other Panthers from beating you, but which Panther can really beat you besides John?

** Not only did this strategy lead to Hugley's huge day, but tons of BC foul trouble, which may have been the biggest difference in the contest.

** Another difference was the second half perimeter scoring from Femi and Burton. Their scoring never really came from great offense -- but both just made some shots. Sometimes it's that simple.

** Congrats to Will. This young man didn't have many fans left before the game, and even fewer if any after a miserable first half. But he did everything he needed to do to in the second half to help his team win. Hopefully he can build on it.

** I got a kick out of the Capel's first timeout when he called out his team for being down 7-2. In the quiet Pete confines, you could clearly hear him yell "Wake the %$@& Up!"

** That helped a little, but it wasn't a pure antidote. The Panthers never seemed like they were at their best all game long, especially on the defensive end. But they were good enough, especially knowing that BC hit some really deep shots. I don't know if we expected that, but we better account for it going forward.

** Biggest "unsung" play of the game. Eze tips away a rebound from BC with under a minute to go, when it looked like the Eagles were going to grab their second straight offensive carom. He wanted it more.

** After that, there's not much else to talk about because our bench has grown remarkably thin. 30 minutes of bench time (27 from a former walk on) is an issue, but I doubt that can be rectified this year unfortunately, unless Ithiel returns soon.

** I don't have any additional comment on Ithiel's situation other than it's just really disappointing how this has played out. It might have been better for Horton and his teammates had he never been reinstated in the first place.

** Maybe one of our super rules gurus can explain something to me regarding the loose ball the Panthers received around the four minute mark. It would seem like the Panthers didn't get a shot clock violation because it was ruled that BC possesses the ball. But if that's the case, why did we get just 20 seconds on the shot clock instead of 30.

** Little worry though, the Panthers found Big John just a few seconds later for an easy two.

** Yep ... that was the theme of the night ... finding John. It was a nice theme -- a winning theme -- and for this fan, a really fun theme.

** Congrats to our Panthers! Let's see if we can make it two in a row on Tuesday in the Dome. No "bold predictions" this time though.
I actually think we got a rare break on the play you mentioned. I don't think BC ever had control and the ball went out off Pitt. But I'll take it because it always seems we are on the other end of those calls. I also think this game would have been a bit easier if Mo and Jamarious had shown up in the first half. Mo seemed to be content watching Big John dominate the play, but he can't do it alone.

We might, but here's why
we haven't been seeing
him lately.....His FG% and
his 3 pt% is less than the
team averages. He's 24%
on threes, while the team
is 30%. FG's he's 33%. while
the team is at 41%. Given
his poor defense, it's clear
to me why we haven't seen
him on the floor. Even on
a poor shooting team, he
isn't a plus. Ezzy, who is no
shooting threat is 40% FG's,
and suprisingly to me is
44% on his 3's.

Again, Santos is a frosh, so
I believe he gets a pass.
Pretty clear that you won't get much or any run from Capel this year if your presence weakens our defense. That is why Nate and some others are not seeing time. As for the Cuse, I think Burton or Big John has to be the guy at the foul line taking the shot or dropping a dime. These two are solid from midrange and see the court well and understand the game well enough to deliver for us. I just hope the D hold down the Boeheim Brothers so we can see old man Boeheim whining!

He would have to be able to turn and be an offensive threat when he catches it. I don’t like his finishing ability from that spot. The only maybe player would be JB and have someone else run point.
I agree, I just keep thinking it would be a good opportunity for him to get that mid range J going, it looked much better last night, if he struggles early take him outta there

True, better than what
we did against Citadel or
for that matter almost
everyone else Tonight's.
43% is great when you
consider we average 30%.

IMO here are the other
stats that mattered, REALLY
mattered tonight.....Ft's
we shot great, 23-28 for
82%. BC was 14-19, 73%.
Bottom line...we beat
them at the line. 82% for
us is more than great, in
fact it's great for any team.

BTW, we also outrebounded
them.
Also, some guy named Hugley!
Two games in a row where you mention what I also thought was the main reason for the win.

Big John obviously kept us in the game all along and put us in position for the W but this would have been another close loss with our typical FT shooting, particularly down-the-stretch FT shooting. Last 3-4 minutes of the game we were 100% until John’s miss with 4 seconds to go. Femi 2-2, Burton 4-4 and Hugley 4-4. We don’t win without that.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Two games in a row where you mention what I also thought was the main reason for the win.

Big John obviously kept us in the game all along and put us in position for the W but this would have been another close loss with our typical FT shooting, particularly down-the-stretch FT shooting. Last 3-4 minutes of the game we were 100% until John’s miss with 4 seconds to go. Femi 2-2, Burton 4-4 and Hugley 4-4. We don’t win without that.
I think the main reason for our win was how the BC coach chose to defend John in the first half.

Putting his bigs in situations that caused them hardly to play and be total non factors for the BC offense was just incredible.

Reactions: TWPitt
I think the main reason for our win was how the BC coach chose to defend John in the first half.

Putting his bigs in situations that caused them hardly to play and be total non factors for the BC offense was just incredible.
Yeah, what you say and everything related to Big John put us in position to win at the end. But we’ve been in position to win many times this year as we all too well know.

But I’ll still submit that what was different down the stretch yesterday to get us the win was FT shooting.

I think it was jeffress scoring 6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT