ADVERTISEMENT

Both qualified for world team trials in May!!

Wow, very good news. Nino is looking the part of a future horse. Taleb is more surprising because he seems to expose his back so much in folkstyle. Of course, freestyle is designed to reward risk taking. Two different animals, but still impressive.

You are exactly right about Taleb. His style has not changed from what you saw during his entire collegiate career. Scored with that fake to the left, dive to the right, ankle pick, or scored by working underneath his opponents like his barrel rolls. Same way he won the ACC years ago. If he doesn't catch someone with big moves or pin them, he struggles. He did earn a nice fall from the top position (he was losing the match) with some kind of reverse body lock. I don't think his opponent knew what Taleb was trying to do.

Its almost funny to watch him wrestle. In this tournament he looked like a junior high wrestler against some of these more polished technical opponents. He hangs on and almost looks lost, and then he hits a roll for big points or a pin. His opponents walk off the mat wondering what the hell just happened! Of course if his opponent knows his limitations...

Nino continues to impress. He keeps his opponents at an arms length and keeps moving his feet so it is hard for his opponents to set up any offense against him. He completely frustrated a very good wrestler in the semis.

I still cant figure out how he scores from his feet though. I think its the fact that he is tall, risk averse, and very tenacious. From a technical standpoint, his leg attacks leaves a lot to be desired. He is always on his knees so he doesn't seem to have any really clean finished or second shots.

The guy that beat him in the finals (Laperez from Binghamton) has several decisions over him and I think it is because he does not attempt any offense against Nino and just waits for him to shoot to look for counter shots.

Micki Phillipi lost to Joe Colon who won the tournament (and also won the Dave Schultz tourney this year) 13-9. I saw him get a tech fall the earlier rounds I didn't get to watch any of his other matches however.

Last edited:
Joe Colon, who beat Micki Phillipi 13-9 a couple of weeks ago, won three matches by tech fall and then a fall to take the gold at the Pan Am games.

Bonocorsi Vs Norfleet

Nino is going to have to learn, as good as he is from the position, being on his knees when attacking legs, should not be a comfort zone.

Reactions: persp
Well those 2 or 3 letters certainly make a big difference in my story. Sorry for the misinformation.

:D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT