ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon George staying

Probably not a bad thing after seeing the three players we hosted this weekend. This, right here, is the exact level of player we're getting in the transfer portal more often than not. Might as well keep one who knows the defense.

Reactions: Farnox
I find it interesting that this is coming out the same day the OC decision is being made. Perhaps there is no correlation at all, but maybe the feel a better offense gives them a better chance to shine at rushing the passer or not being on the field all game. IDK, but no hard feelings I'm glad both get to finish their journey here.

Heard from a reliable source Houston offerd him the bag. Had probably 12 offers out the gate. WU, Mich st. Kid not desperate for money.

I thought he struggled last year, but I guess I'd rather have him than not for depth. I just don't want him anointed a starter because he's experienced.

Anything on Jules?

Reactions: 4upmc and FireballZ
Probably not a bad thing after seeing the three players we hosted this weekend. This, right here, is the exact level of player we're getting in the transfer portal more often than not. Might as well keep one who knows the defense.
Do you ever post positively ? Please post your playing and coaching experience to show that you really understand this sport. Thaanks

Do you ever post positively ? Please post your playing and coaching experience to show that you really understand this sport. Thaanks

Since the transfer portal began...

Kylan Johnson
Nakia Griffin-Stewart
Nolan Ulizio
Joey Yellen
Keldrick Wilson
Lucas Krull
John Petrishen
Ryan Jacoby
Melquise Stovall
MJ Devonshire
Marcus Minor
DJ Turner
C'Bo Flemister
Dylan Deveney
Bub Means
Shayne Simon
Konata Mumpfield
DJ Reynolds
Jackson Brown
Malcolm Epps
Derrick Davis
Phil Jurkovec
Christian Veielleux
Donovan McMillon

So, yeah, I'll double down: The average player we land form the transfer portal is about akin to what Brandon George brings to the table. So I'll take someone who knows the defense over someone who doesn't.

Kind of weird you even construed that as negative.

Heard from a reliable source Houston offerd him the bag. Had probably 12 offers out the gate. WU, Mich st. Kid not desperate for money.

Maybe we matched. I think everyone should enter the portal every year just to get their current team to match offers.

If so he should have took “the bag” it would have been a nice start to the real world when his FB career ends after next season. BTW I’m fine with him coming back. he’s good for most part against the run but pass coverage is another story…
Maybe we matched. I think everyone should enter the portal every year just to get their current team to match offers.
The guys getting the $ are getting posts from 412 NIL. The site and player both post it to promote it. He’s been a solid career backup who can help, but as said by Gunga I don’t want him given the starter spot just because he’s a vet. Earn it over the young talent if he starts.

George had some D1 offers. Good to have him back

If so he should have took “the bag” it would have been a nice start to the real world when his FB career ends after next season. BTW I’m fine with him coming back. he’s good for most part against the run but pass coverage is another story…

The guys getting the $ are getting posts from 412 NIL. The site and player both post it to promote it. He’s been a solid career backup who can help, but as said by Gunga I don’t want him given the starter spot just because he’s a vet. Earn it over the young talent if he starts.
Kid had almost 300 reps less than other guys that rotated in . Still managed to finish with 50+ tackles , 5th on the team. Don’t think he played much in passing downs. Do remember interception vs ND in the red zone. His uncle said he didn’t ask for anything to stay just hit the portal. Was reached back out to almost everyday about staying. Was not worried about “The bag” .

Reactions: 4upmc
Kid had almost 300 reps less than other guys that rotated in . Still managed to finish with 50+ tackles , 5th on the team. Don’t think he played much in passing downs. Do remember interception vs ND in the red zone. His uncle said he didn’t ask for anything to stay just hit the portal. Was reached back out to almost everyday about staying. Was not worried about “The bag” .
If coaches didn’t ask him to leave and he wasn’t looking for the bag or a new situation why hit the portal?

Ugh, you’re kidding I hope. I was happy to see him go, he doesn’t deserve to be on the field, he’s just not good enough.
Exactly. You all are out of your minds. These returning guys know what system? The system that halted backup QB’s and TE’s? Take portal players with equal talent who can return for at least a second year. Work with them. Look what this loyalty crap did to the demise - er - development - of the conference championship team.

If coaches didn’t ask him to leave and he wasn’t looking for the bag or a new situation why hit the portal?

Just guessing, but I don't think it would be much different from anyone who leaves a situation (their job, for example) only to mull it over and end up coming back.

Brokklee has had good info on this board, including breaking the Addison news a day or two before I saw anyone else pick it up. It's hard for me to imagine George got a huge monetary offer, but if he says Houston offered a bag then I tend to believe it. I guess my only question is how much that is, exactly. $50K? It would be difficult for me to fathom it being much higher than that.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Exactly. You all are out of your minds. These returning guys know what system? The system that halted backup QB’s and TE’s? Take portal players with equal talent who can return for at least a second year. Work with them. Look what this loyalty crap did to the demise - er - development - of the conference championship team.

I think it's a case by case thing. George was the best player in a Pitt uniform against Florida State... absolutely all over the field. So it's not like he's totally lacking talent. And I think Louis, DeShields, Lovelace, and Bass should all be pretty good options, so it's not even like George has to start, necessarily (if he does, he'll have earned it by being the best option in the middle).

Temple... yeah, I agree on that one. I thought that was an opportunity to upgrade. DE is one of the most important positions on our defense, and I feel like you need difference makers there. Particularly after losing Okunlola, that would have been one of the positions I really pennied up for. I mean I guess they still might, but to see one of the roster spots scooped up by an upperclassman who hasn't shown much isn't the most ideal thing I could think of.

My original comment was more in regards to what we're bringing in. Like, we just brought in a cornerback from Nebraska who played four years there, on a bad team, and started one game. He will probably start for us next season. So it's not like we're knocking them dead in the portal by any means. Our funds are limited, so there will have to be some concessions. A backup linebacker who knows the defense and has at least flashed some talent and seemingly has a good attitude isn't the worst thing in the world just because he's not a shiny new toy.

Translation. No one offered him
More money. I suspect we may see a few more like this
I don't blame any of them, I'd definitely jump into the portal and see what I can get, if it's more $$$$$$$$$$ go, if there's no bigger payday, return.

I don't blame any of them, I'd definitely jump into the portal and see what I can get, if it's more $$$$$$$$$$ go, if there's no bigger payday, return.
You’re right, and that’s the shit sandwich for the sport and the teams of combining NIL and free transfers.

yeah but not all of them have an open seat to return, nor should they.

with pitt, about 90% of our players entering the portal are going to be playing "down" next year at a lower level. That is very telling and an indictment on our past recruiting classes.

It doesn’t usually work like that. Kids usually go to the HC and leverage for NIL they get it or they don’t. Once you hit the portal you are usually banished from the land. Especially with Duzz. If it was about money George would be gone.

Reactions: TD_6082
It doesn’t usually work like that. Kids usually go to the HC and leverage for NIL they get it or they don’t. Once you hit the portal you are usually banished from the land. Especially with Duzz. If it was about money George would be gone.
Is there a certain NIL process? I have no idea.

Message is given to the collectives, collective reps contact players. Coaches have no contact with players directly about $$

Message is given to the collectives, collective reps contact players. Coaches have no contact with players directly about $$
what if a team wants to keep a guy who went to the portal, do they ever counter the offer?

I thought he struggled last year, but I guess I'd rather have him than not for depth. I just don't want him anointed a starter because he's experienced.

Anything on Jules?
I thought the hype around Jules was exaggerated. 👋 Bye Felicia!
Sleeping Beauty Parody GIF

Reactions: sonofabit
Not just Duzz. That's the way most coaches are handling it from what I've heard.

Some that have been tampered with are entering the portal and asking other schools to wire them money for consideration etc.

Crazy times.

Not just Duzz. That's the way most coaches are handling it from what I've heard.

Some that have been tampered with are entering the portal and asking other schools to wire them money for consideration etc.

Crazy times.
Sheesh. This is so ugly and messy. Somebody is going to end up getting hurt. This much money can't change hands in this irresponsible way without unintended consequences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT