ADVERTISEMENT

Aliquippa staying 4A

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Remember yesterday I said, find a judge on your team and you're good. A Beaver County judge sided with the Quips.

We are a nation of judges, not rules or laws. Though in this case, they got it right

Reactions: hermdigity
Remember yesterday I said, find a judge on your team and you're good. A Beaver County judge sided with the Quips.

We are a nation of judges, not rules or laws. Though in this case, they got it right
Good for them. They volunteered to play up and this is where they should be at the end of the day.

PIAA is far from done in this case.

One retort is to force teams to play in the class they're enrollment says and not allow teams to play up. I'd love to see Aliquippa find a schedule in 1A or 2A right now.

Reactions: pittdan77
PIAA is far from done in this case.

One retort is to force teams to play in the class they're enrollment says and not allow teams to play up. I'd love to see Aliquippa find a schedule in 1A or 2A right now.
Wouldn't that be a WPIAL problem? They'd have to provide Aliquippa with a section schedule and they could probably keep the non-section schedule in place. I think the WPIAL already planned to have alignments and everything ready in either case for the Quips.

Wouldn't that be a WPIAL problem? They'd have to provide Aliquippa with a section schedule and they could probably keep the non-section schedule in place. I think the WPIAL already planned to have alignments and everything ready in either case for the Quips.
I'm saying if Quip was placed in 1A or 2A, you'd see a lot of forfeits.

This is essentially what happened to Saint Frances Academy in Baltimore. Biff was recruiting the best of the best and the teams on their schedule said go find your own schedule.

I'm saying if Quip was placed in 1A or 2A, you'd see a lot of forfeits.

This is essentially what happened to Saint Frances Academy in Baltimore. Biff was recruiting the best of the best and the teams on their schedule said go find your own schedule.
Honestly, they had the same complaints when they moved up to 4A so it makes perfect sense. If it's too dangerous for them, they should be classified according to enrollment only and not allowed to move up at all under the guise of player safety. Eliminates all of the complaints about why one school has to move and others don't.

Also, wondering out loud, does this affect every other school, in every other sport, that has been moved up do to the success formula? If it doesn't automatically trigger that, you'd think other schools would be running to the courthouse this morning to ask for similar relief.

By the way, a lot of planning is going on now regarding the fall schedules because a lot of what goes on in the fall revolves around homecoming. You start changing that and it will cause all kinds of havoc.

Reactions: singregardless
Also, wondering out loud, does this affect every other school, in every other sport, that has been moved up do to the success formula? If it doesn't automatically trigger that, you'd think other schools would be running to the courthouse this morning to ask for similar relief.

By the way, a lot of planning is going on now regarding the fall schedules because a lot of what goes on in the fall revolves around homecoming. You start changing that and it will cause all kinds of havoc.
Are there any other schools that have been moved up 2 or 3 classifications?

Southern Columbia regularly beats the crap out of teams and nobody saw the urgency to move them up if player safety is the rationale.

They dont have any transfers or at least get the transfers in middle school. Its a football factory middle of nowhere town Friday Night Lights town. Not an urban transient town like Aliquippa

That's part of the argument the people celebrating this decision are making. If 5A is dangerous, so is 4A and 3A.

I think if they are truly concerned about safety they should just stop playing football altogether. That way they don't have to worry about anyone getting hurt playing the sport.

I think if they are truly concerned about safety they should just stop playing football altogether. That way they don't have to worry about anyone getting hurt playing the sport.

I am totally in favor of Aliquippa staying 4A but never understood the player safety argument. I get they have a smaller roster and a lot of kids play both ways but they would be far and away the best 5A team so I don't think the #1 team in 5A would have players sent to the hospital every week.

I am totally in favor of Aliquippa staying 4A but never understood the player safety argument. I get they have a smaller roster and a lot of kids play both ways but they would be far and away the best 5A team so I don't think the #1 team in 5A would have players sent to the hospital every week.

There was a note on (I think) the Trib web site when they cited kids having to play two ways as their big safety argument that last year they had six kids who regularly played both ways and I think it was USC and one of the other better 5A schools had five and four of them.

The safety thing is just a story that they told so they didn't have to say their real argument out loud. "We are Aliquippa, the rules don't apply to us."

Probably didn't think that arguing that in court would be a winner.

There was a note on (I think) the Trib web site when they cited kids having to play two ways as their big safety argument that last year they had six kids who regularly played both ways and I think it was USC and one of the other better 5A schools had five and four of them.
North Allegheny (6A) had at least 6 or 7 kids starting both ways.

Boyd (WR/DB)
Alualu (RB/LB)
Yatchenko (OL/DL)
Chumura (OL/DL)
Sellers (TE/DL)
Hoke (OL/DL)
Lyon (WR/DB)

safety argument is bunk.

North Allegheny (6A) had at least 6 or 7 kids starting both ways.

Boyd (WR/DB)
Alualu (RB/LB)
Yatchenko (OL/DL)
Chumura (OL/DL)
Sellers (TE/DL)
Hoke (OL/DL)
Lyon (WR/DB)

safety argument is bunk.
Kids have been playing both ways for years. If that's dangerous, a majority of the schools in the state would have to shut down their programs.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT