ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking:Le’Veon Bell

I would be upset with Bell more if he was actually holding out while under contract. Since he isn't under contract he isn't really holding out. And the Franchise tag should be done away with.

I’m okay with a structured one-year franchise tag. Pay them average of top 3 paid players in the league no matter the position. Then when they walk after that you will receive no compensation.
You realize this is collectively bargained, right?

Reactions: paulbl99
No chance.

Owners aren’t going to concede that much power to the players
The next CBA is going to be ugly. Many of the veterans have told players to save their money. I’ll be very surprised if their isn’t a strike. Players are going to want contracts that are guarenteed.

It's pretty simple the way I understand it, (Bell believes) he will be able to recoup his millions in guaranteed money with no risk because of his next contract. He is looking at it as 100% business, with absolutely no regard for winning super bowls, setting records, HOF, etc. It is really no mystery , he knows that the Steelers would continue to place a huge load on him in this last franchise year, and not only put another year of wear and tear on him, but he would deal with the rather large risk of playing the one last year for $14mil, and end it all there with an injury. Unprepared does not seem to be quite the correct term, more like Bell may have miscalculated, time will tell. I don't see how a team with a good QB can afford much more than the Steelers offered as it seems to tie too much money up in the RB and QB position. Anyway as they say in Pittsburgh lore, "Son, we can win 0 Super Bowls without you"
He just might be the 2nd team running back if he comes back. I doubt the Steelers would consider franchising him. Why, their getting great production without him. In a passing league, running backs aren't as much as he could have made this year. None of them are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkview57

"Bakari gives a copy of Forty Million Dollar Slaves to every rookie who signs with his agency. A classic by Undefeated writer-at-large William C. Rhoden, the book argues that despite their high salaries, black athletes remain trapped on figurative plantations controlled by whites, with little influence or power in the multibillion-dollar industries built on black labor."

The next CBA is going to be ugly. Many of the veterans have told players to save their money. I’ll be very surprised if their isn’t a strike. Players are going to want contracts that are guarenteed.

Yeah, would be a good time for Pitt to be good. Because I believe there will be a strike. Guaranteed contracts (which I completely support for the players), limiting Roger Goodell's powers or even getting rid of him, and legalizing Pot or no longer testing for it, will be 3 huge things.

You are Wrong.. I suggest you read up on the Structure of NFL Contracts. He will EASILY recoup the lost money from this year.. Stick to whining in your posts, it seems that anything you try post factual is a train wreck..
so, his next year, year older, contract (after it was eloquently shown by Mr. Conner that he was not as indeed as indispensable as he wanted everyone to think) will be 14 million higher than it would have been had he played and put up his usual numbers with no Conner doubt interjected?? you might have to explain how he is now worth 14 million more makeup money... If he gets the same money he always wanted, he is still 14 mill short in the end.

Last edited:
"Bakari gives a copy of Forty Million Dollar Slaves to every rookie who signs with his agency. A classic by Undefeated writer-at-large William C. Rhoden, the book argues that despite their high salaries, black athletes remain trapped on figurative plantations controlled by whites, with little influence or power in the multibillion-dollar industries built on black labor."
That’s just heartbreaking...multi millionaires are the new slaves.

They signed a negotiated agreement....overwhelmingly

TFB

So Michael Strahan is a slave, Michael Jordan is a slave. I don't get it. Coddled since high school yet still slaves while making unheard of amounts of money.

Reactions: paulbl99
So Michael Strahan is a slave, Michael Jordan is a slave. I don't get it. Coddled since high school yet still slaves while making unheard of amounts of money.
It’s Hi effing Larious.

But some people buy it...

I bet it will be ugly for the players of a league where 85% are broke the moment they stop playing and in an environment where the public is growing tired of their non-football BS.

I bet it will be ugly for the players of a league where 85% are broke the moment they stop playing and in an environment where the public is growing tired of their non-football BS.
The NFL will not make the same mistake MLB did with guaranteed contracts, worse than FA.....

The NFL knows most of these bozos are spending their dough as fast as they are making it.......and so many have short careers they won’t hold out en-mass ...

F’em if they strike the owners will bring in replacements and most TV Sets won’t care.

I think both sides made the right decision. I don’t blame the Steelers for not signing him and I don’t blame him for not wanting to be franchised two years in a row.

There doesn’t have to be a good guy and bad guy. Both sides will be better off with out each other.

I think both sides made the right decision. I don’t blame the Steelers for not signing him and I don’t blame him for not wanting to be franchised two years in a row.

There doesn’t have to be a good guy and bad guy. Both sides will be better off with out each other.
Stillers tried to sign him.
He wouldn’t.
Hopefully he’s someone’s headache next year.

So white players in the NFL have guaranteed contracts, and unrestricted free agency.
Huh, I must have missed that.

Reactions: pbrad and paulbl99
The NFL will not make the same mistake MLB did with guaranteed contracts, worse than FA.....

The NFL knows most of these bozos are spending their dough as fast as they are making it.......and so many have short careers they won’t hold out en-mass ...

F’em if they strike the owners will bring in replacements and most TV Sets won’t care.

They are going to have to. What the NFL won't likely do is go over 5 year deals, except maybe for a QB, and not get roped into these 8-10 year deals where the "guarantee" is upwards of $150-200 million like MLB has.

They are going to have to. What the NFL won't likely do is go over 5 year deals, except maybe for a QB, and not get roped into these 8-10 year deals where the "guarantee" is upwards of $150-200 million like MLB has.
They will not do what MLB is what I said.
And they won’t snd those guys can stay out until hell freezes but the owners will not turn the NFL into MLB.

Buy a team. Become an owner. Lev Bell this year proves the folly of people getting paid too much, if you can afford to sit and lose $15 million, then you are making too much money to the detriment of the sport. At some point, these guys have to realize, they are essentially circus clowns. We pay to watch them. We don't care about them. And if they make too much money to perform, then they aren't going to make any money because we will move on to something else. Hate to be brutally honest about it. White, Black, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Orange, doesn't matter the skin color.

Reactions: Chaos
How are they "going to have to" give fully guaranteed deals? What is the leverage the players have in the sport with the shortest careers, most risk of injury, and highest percentage of pay check to pay check living?

Are the negotiations 1 sided? What are the players going to give up the benefit the owners?

Sitting out and passing on $15 million could also be a sign of someone who has absorbed a lot of NFL hits and either needs a break or may not want to continue playing anymore.

It's pretty simple the way I understand it, (Bell believes) he will be able to recoup his millions in guaranteed money with no risk because of his next contract. He is looking at it as 100% business, with absolutely no regard for winning super bowls, setting records, HOF, etc. It is really no mystery , he knows that the Steelers would continue to place a huge load on him in this last franchise year, and not only put another year of wear and tear on him, but he would deal with the rather large risk of playing the one last year for $14mil, and end it all there with an injury. Unprepared does not seem to be quite the correct term, more like Bell may have miscalculated, time will tell. I don't see how a team with a good QB can afford much more than the Steelers offered as it seems to tie too much money up in the RB and QB position. Anyway as they say in Pittsburgh lore, "Son, we can win 0 Super Bowls without you"

My understanding (and I certainly haven't followed the Bell situation that closely) is that the Steelers had offered Bell a contract around $70M for 5 years with $30M guaranteed. Bell wants more like $45M guaranteed. The real risk Bell is taking is whether some team is going to guarantee $45M for a RB who has a history of injuries and suspensions (not to mention a crappy attitude). Personally, I think Bell has overplayed his hand. Yes, he'll be "fresh" next year, but he'll also be a year older. Bell only has a few more years of peak performance, so wasting one playing video games seems silly. Keep in mind he'll now have to get a contract that gives him his guarantees and enables him to earn back the $14M he left on the table this year. Color me doubtful.

Cruzer

Reactions: ChooChoo Panther
Lev and his agent found a loophole and exploited it. There are no "bad" guys here. The Steeler's offered him a sizable contract that wasn't structured the way he wanted it and he didn't want a third year of a franchise tag, so he took a huge leap of faith in himself and decided to sit out (perhaps for the entire year).

The Steeler's will be fine and I suspect so will Bell. I enjoy the NFL but obviously I can't feel too bad for either side here - there are millions upon millions upon millions at play here.

Reactions: Parkview57
Well, I’m now convinced Bell made the wrong move since Booger has opined that he made a great move. Boog is literally wrong about everything.

I think the Steelers played their hand well, given Bell’s history of injuries and suspensions it would be foolish to make that kind of investment in him, especially since you can get serviceable rb’s cheap and use that money elsewhere.

Steelers were just lucky Bell turned down their long term offer. QB's are way more valuable than running backs in today's pass first NFL. QB's and offensive lines. Pittsburgh has both so that is why they were able to plug in Connor and not miss a beat.

On another point most of these former NFL athletes should not be given jobs to offer their analysis on ANYTHING. 98% of them are idiots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT