ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS: Baseball Series vs #4 Louisville - CANCELLED

Bummer. PA seems to be behind the curve on vaccinations. My 17 year old son with no preexisting conditions/risks will receive his 2nd vaccination here in Ohio on Sunday. Crazy that such disparities exist.

Bummer. PA seems to be behind the curve on vaccinations. My 17 year old son with no preexisting conditions/risks will receive his 2nd vaccination here in Ohio on Sunday. Crazy that such disparities exist.
There hasn't been disparities in PA for weeks. Anyone who really wanted a vaccine could have found one for weeks now. Its unbelievable to me that Pitt couldn't get its players vaccinated.

Me and family members who are not in any priority group at all have been vaccinated since February.

Bummer about this weekend's series. I hope the Pitt players testing positive remain in good health. Good luck the rest of the season.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Actually disagree. Now they hopefully have some immunity before the acc and ncaa tournaments.
Yeah, I think this is the best time for it (second best behind “it not happening at all”). A really tough road series this weekend is cancelled - losing that series or worse would have put us pretty far behind VT entering May.

Next weekend, we have a four game non-conference home series against Northern Kentucky - if we can play it, great, if not, no huge deal as far as RPI or the ACC standings are concerned. Then, we have the Brawl at West Virginia, which will give us the opportunity without ACC ramifications to get a game under our belts before starting up again versus Boston College - a super winnable series - on May 7.

If we were to have a covid situation, this is the absolute best time for it to happen.

Its unbelievable to me that Pitt couldn't get its players vaccinated.

Maybe they have, or at least maybe they have started the process. I work with a guy who got his first shot a couple weeks ago, and then last Monday (10 days ago, not 3 days ago) he was feeling bad so he went and got tested. Tested positive. Hasn't been back to work since.

Maybe they have, or at least maybe they have started the process. I work with a guy who got his first shot a couple weeks ago, and then last Monday (10 days ago, not 3 days ago) he was feeling bad so he went and got tested. Tested positive. Hasn't been back to work since
By now, geez, you'd hope they'd at least had 1 shot. My sister shouldn't have been able to get a shot before a Pitt athlete (or any college student).

Same thing happened to a guy I know. Really great guy but huge Trump supporter so not sure if he was going around maskless and and all that. He was in his 60s, went in and got his first shot, started getting sick shortly after and then died a week later. Apparently got Covid before the 1st shot. That's gotta be the worst way to go at this point.

By now, geez, you'd hope they'd at least had 1 shot. My sister shouldn't have been able to get a shot before a Pitt athlete (or any college student).

Same thing happened to a guy I know. Really great guy but huge Trump supporter so not sure if he was going around maskless and and all that. He was in his 60s, went in and got his first shot, started getting sick shortly after and then died a week later. Apparently got Covid before the 1st shot. That's gotta be the worst way to go at this point.
Masks are supposed to protect others from you, not you from others. Or did you forget this in your quest to play politics? Furthermore Trump has been pushing vaccines for months.

Masks are supposed to protect others from you, not you from others. Or did you forget this in your quest to play politics? Furthermore Trump has been pushing vaccines for months.
Yea I know. Im not sure what he was doing but my guess is he was putting himself in high-risk situations like being in close proximity with the maskless. I don't know but if I was in my 60s and saw a vaccine would be available in a month or 2, I'd lock myself in my house and watch Netflix until my appointment date.

College students, being young and generally healthy, were pretty much at the bottom of the list until they started opening things up a couple weeks ago.

Imagine the outcry from certain local factions if while the state was still saying "vaccinations for group 1A only" if it came out that Pitt gave vaccinations to a bunch of athletes.

As far as winning Coastal this cancellation may have been a very good thing. The Lville series would’ve likely been a tough one to win and. VT and GT both took multiple losses over the weekend to currently moves us to 1st w/ 3 series left vs the bottom of acc. If Pitt can take care of business and go 6-3, there’s a good shot we take the Coastal. Although there’s 5 still strongly in mix. I’d rank the remaining schedules easiest to hardest
Pitt - BC, NC St, at Wake
VT - UVa, at Duke, ND
GT - Clem, at Miami, UNC
Miami - at BC, GT, at Lville
UNC - at ND, Lville, at GT

UNC by far with the roughest road w/ the top 2 acc teams and also a good GT on road. Us I think easiest w/ 2 of 3 at home against the current bottom 3 teams.

College students, being young and generally healthy, were pretty much at the bottom of the list until they started opening things up a couple weeks ago.

Imagine the outcry from certain local factions if while the state was still saying "vaccinations for group 1A only" if it came out that Pitt gave vaccinations to a bunch of athletes.
Yea but they should have been able to get them before me and 20 people I know who werent in any risk category.

Yea but they should have been able to get them before me and 20 people I know who werent in any risk category.
Perhaps they have done so. Have no clue what you did in February, but back then it was VERY hard to get for even for general population 1A individuals. And no, they should not have been ahead of you. They are the lowest risk.

Reactions: TONY13
What risk category do you suppose that athletic 20-ish year old men fit into?
I think one can make a good argument that college and pro athletes are forced into situations where other risk mitigations (masks or distancing) are not possible and deserve vaccinations. They're certainly required to travel a lot more than most people.

Should be moot at this point, but I really don't think it would've been as outrageous as you make it sound, especially when the worst kept secret in PA is that anyone could sign up in any 1A session without any proof of eligibility. Many of these sessions ended up opening up to all applicants because they couldn't fill the slots or people didn't show up.

Should be moot at this point, but I really don't think it would've been as outrageous as you make it sound

If you don't think that Pitt would have been completely hammered by the local media if it came out that in February or March that Pitt procured several hundred doses of the vaccine to give to athletes I can only surmise that you have never paid attention to the way that the local media generally treat Pitt.

As far as right now, it wouldn't surprise me if Pitt has already given athletes the first shot. But as we have seen, getting the first shot doesn't make you immune. If you want a current example from the sporting world, Jose Altuve of the Astros is back and eligible to play tonight after missing almost two weeks due to catching covid. He had already received the first shot before he caught it. It is certainly possible that Pitt did give the baseball players shots earlier this month and people still caught it.

BTW, Pitt has cancelled the games against Northern Kentucky for this coming weekend as well.

If you don't think that Pitt would have been completely hammered by the local media if it came out that in February or March that Pitt procured several hundred doses of the vaccine to give to athletes I can only surmise that you have never paid attention to the way that the local media generally treat Pitt.

As far as right now, it wouldn't surprise me if Pitt has already given athletes the first shot. But as we have seen, getting the first shot doesn't make you immune. If you want a current example from the sporting world, Jose Altuve of the Astros is back and eligible to play tonight after missing almost two weeks due to catching covid. He had already received the first shot before he caught it. It is certainly possible that Pitt did give the baseball players shots earlier this month and people still caught it.

BTW, Pitt has cancelled the games against Northern Kentucky for this coming weekend as well.
There were doses everywhere being advertised all over social media. If I was a team rep, I'd say, "hey, Players X,Y, and Z, Pharmacy X has dozenz of doses going unused, get down there and get your shot." They didnt need to do a team vaccine clinic. It was completely irresponsible that these kids were unvaccinated when anyone could have gotten the vaccine for like 2 months now.

I would not have been surprised to learn they qualified for vaccines because that is what I assumed already happened. Obviously athletes were getting likely daily tests for months and months when tests were difficult to come by, and I assume Pitt was paying to get their results fast tracked. Pro and college athletes were given explicit exemption from state public gathering rules in the fall. It is absolutely illogical to assume they are playing by the same rules as the rest of us.

I'm not suggesting that they should have been first in line, but they definitely should have been starting the process in March. The number of total daily vaccinations given (first and second) mostly plateaued from March into April and has actually started to drop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT