ADVERTISEMENT

Bub gone?

MorningCoffee13

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2023
Hammett posted on Twitter that Capel is have a press conference tomorrow at 3 pm with „a select player”

Wouldn’t you think it was announcing that Bub was exploring NBA?

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Bub would be smart to declare for the draft this year. This is a historically weak draft class and I’ve seen mock drafts having him go top ten. There’s high risk (but also very high reward) with coming back for his sophomore season… honestly, I don’t think he can go wrong either way.

I hope I’m wrong, though!

He should go, but my question is why hold a press conference for him when they didn't for Blake or Champagnie when they tested the waters?

I've thought he was gonzo for this weeks, but this actually makes me think it's going the other way.

The momentum from this could have insane ripple effects.

Still a few weeks left...
Thank you for the information, it does lead me to believe that will be finalized at the PC, just an up date that someone is exploring? according to the chart, may 29th is an NCAA deadline for withdrawing for draft, so lots of time to explore, so it would seem.

The news was Coach C was having a press conference with a player. My two cents is that Bub is staying at Pitt. Seems like good news the way I am interpreting it. We will find out soon enough. H2 P

Was there a special announcement last season with Blake exploring turning pro ? Maybe it’s an appeal to the fans on funding the NIL .

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Filliponi mentioned during their show that Pitt had just reached out and offered Capel and "a player" for their show tomorrow. They weren't sure what it meant, and speculated that it was likely Carrington and could mean either he's staying or going.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think they’ll announce he’s staying

Plus it’s not a Friday… I doubt they’d make a special announcement to say he’s going

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
The news was Coach C was having a press conference with a player. My two cents is that Bub is staying at Pitt. Seems like good news the way I am interpreting it. We will find out soon enough. H2 P

My take is that they would schedule a press conference either way but if he was staying, there is a 100% chance at a presser for the pep rally aspect. If he was leaving, maybe a 75% chance at a presser. I wouldn't make much of the lack of pressers for Champagnie (Covid and a 2nd rounder) or Hinson (was probably not staying in).

The fact that this hasnt leaked yet gives me some hope that he's staying (for the surprise.....lets gooooooo factor).

Yeah a “ I’m going to the NBA” announcement would have all the effects of a wet fart….

I just don’t see it happening

Reactions: 303vND
A big presser announcing that Bub will be staying might be the domino that tips things into motion--like a prosepctive transfer forward/big man signing with the Panthers. If this were to be my last year, I'd want to be certain that I'm playing with a talented backcourt.

Reactions: 303vND
Was thinking city game with the outwardly improved relationship with the new coach and Dambrot. But why bring a player. And the announcement would come from ADHL anyway.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Bub would be smart to declare for the draft this year. This is a historically weak draft class and I’ve seen mock drafts having him go top ten. There’s high risk (but also very high reward) with coming back for his sophomore season.
How high can the reward be for coming back if he is already a lottery pick?

Was thinking city game with the outwardly improved relationship with the new coach and Dambrot. But why bring a player. And the announcement would come from ADHL anyway.

Could be or maybe they are announcing they will be playing a few select home games in Wheeling to make up for screwing the city out of playing there during Covid.

Hammett posted on Twitter that Capel is have a press conference tomorrow at 3 pm with „a select player”

I wouldn’t waste a press conference for exploration. This is a bigger deal than that.

I also wouldn’t do a press conference and setup media spots for negative news. A guy going to the NBA isn’t negative long term but seems like the coach wouldn’t be seeking publicity for something that’s a short term negative given you already have a depressed fan base over the snub.

Seems like you do this to pick things up after the NCAA downer and also get some positive national publicity in the run up for the Final 4.

Positive news also be a bonus for the transfer portal.

Having said that, this is Pitt basketball so expecting something good isn’t in our nature.

Last edited:
How high can the reward be for coming back if he is already a lottery pick?
I’m imagining a Top 5 pick; I think it’s safe to say he wouldn’t go first overall because of Cooper Flagg. I believe next year’s class is top-heavy, but maybe he could sneak there with an even better 2025 campaign?

Is it a common practice to have Coach/Player press conferences for one and done departure announcements? I never really paid attention on that...

I'll be curious to see who we can attract to replace him. Tough to imagine someone wanting to split a bunch of playing time with Lowe and Leggett (and possibly Cummings). But we definitely need another ball handler, I would think.

I’m imagining a Top 5 pick; I think it’s safe to say he wouldn’t go first overall because of Cooper Flagg. I believe next year’s class is top-heavy, but maybe he could sneak there with an even better 2025 campaign?
But what's the magnitude of the reward? What's the average career earnings difference between being picked 2 or 3 or 4 overall versus 11 or 12 or 13?

I wouldn’t waste a press conference for exploration. This is a bigger deal than that.

I also wouldn’t do a press conference and setup media spots for negative news. A guy going to the NBA isn’t negative long term but seems like the coach wouldn’t be seeking publicity for something that’s a short term negative given you already have a depressed fan base over the snub.

Seems like you do this to pick things up after the NCAA downer and also get some positive national publicity in the run up for the Final 4.

Having said that, this is Pitt basketball so expecting something good isn’t in our nature.

They'd do the presser and radio tour either way but I think if he was leaving, they should have leaked that so Pitt fans wouldn't get their hopes up. Because there's no leak, I think there's a chance he's staying.

Has it been confirmed it will be BuB? I mean we aassume Bub will be the “player,” but why not just say Bub then. Any chance it could be Lowe or Leggett with an NIL deal?

I'll be curious to see who we can attract to replace him. Tough to imagine someone wanting to split a bunch of playing time with Lowe and Leggett (and possibly Cummings). But we definitely need another ball handler, I would think.

11823321.jpeg

Depressed? Why? We have a 1st rounder, potentially. That's a step in the right direction, imo.

Reactions: Parkview57

In most cases today, if a player is leaving, they just announce it on social media.

I'm not even going to venture to guess if he's staying or leaving. However, I think the rationale behind a presser, radio interview etc. if he is leaving would be mostly PR oriented and a good way to show support for Bub. Because of the fact he's already said he's coming back, there are probably a few idiots in the vocal minority that would trash the kid if he changed his mind. A presser with support from the HC would shield him from that.

In most cases today, if a player is leaving, they just announce it on social media.

I'm not even going to venture to guess if he's staying or leaving. However, I think the rationale behind a presser, radio interview etc. if he is leaving would be mostly PR oriented and a good way to show support for Bub. Because of the fact he's already said he's coming back, there are probably a few idiots in the vocal minority that would trash the kid if he changed his mind. A presser with support from the HC would shield him from that.
A presser with support from the HC would shield him from that... ya think said idiots have such blind devotion to the one bid messiah that is Capel that that would be the case? Me thinks not...

A presser with support from the HC would shield him from that... ya think said idiots have such blind devotion to the one bid messiah that is Capel that that would be the case? Me thinks not...

People were idiots to believe an 18-year-old saying he's coming back in the heat of a loss meant anything in the first place. But of course you couldn't tell them they were silly to believe it at the time without being labeled a troll. We have some dodo cheerleaders in this fan base who can't look at anything with an ounce of objectivity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT