ADVERTISEMENT

Bub gone?

I agree. If you can get a 1st rd grade you go. Bub has the unknown on his side only 18. As a Pitt fan want him to stay, but I completely agree with his decision.

Reactions: FireballZ
Not unexpected but honestly to me he doesn’t look ready for the NBA either. Just my opinion.
It doesn’t really matter what “we” think !

Thought SAdams needed more seasoning too ! It worked out ok for him .

This is definitely spinning a story ….

How about for one day we just admit the announcement sucks

Leave the spinning for a later date
Sure it’s sucks. But there’s nothing we can do about the decision.

It’s not my spin. There is a reason why Pitt decided to hold a press conference. To entice other players to come here.

Reactions: Parkview57

It’s not my spin. There is a reason why Pitt decided to hold a press conference. To entice other players to come here.
This shows his coach has his back .

Exactly. Jason Mackey just wrote a very complementary piece on the P-G, based on the press conference. Good pr for Pitt and Capel.

. To entice other players to come here.
There is NOTHING more important to a college player than getting to the NBA, or NFL for that matter, celebrating the fact that one can absolutely do that at Pitt, takes precedent over anything for recruiting for the future. Go "Bub" Go!

I agree....root for the name on the front of the jersey. Now in this age of kids jumping for NIL or the NBA, who they are really doesn't matter. Next man up. The portal is definitely in play.

I agree....root for the name on the front of the jersey. Now in this age of kids jumping for NIL or the NBA, who they are really doesn't matter. Next man up. The portal is definitely in play.
We've always rooted for the name on the front of the jersey. But in the past, we also rooted for the name on the back more than we do now because most of those kids made a commitment to the university to play there for 4 years. Now, it's just become a business. And the free agency is worse than what we see at the professional level. At least players in the pros tend to be part of the organization for more than a year at a time. The current landscape of college basketball royally sucks.

We've always rooted for the name on the front of the jersey. But in the past, we also rooted for the name on the back more than we do now because most of those kids made a commitment to the university to play there for 4 years. Now, it's just become a business. And the free agency is worse than what we see at the professional level. At least players in the pros tend to be part of the organization for more than a year at a time. The current landscape of college basketball royally sucks.

I totally agree. College sports now is a business only, and these are professional athletes who can jump ship at any time for any reason. These kids have no idea what the word commitment means. Bub certainly doesn't. It's one of the reasons I have become disenchanted with college sports and not as much of a fan as before. That's why I really don't care that Bub is gone and don't care what he does in the pros, if he even makes it. He's gone and not a Pitt Panther any longer.

Wow, seven years of courting this kid for one year of no Tournament. Doesn't seem like a reasonable return on investment. May be better to just buy portal jumpers.

Its worse than the pros because there are no contracts and no salary caps.

I have trouble understanding how people can denigrate Bub for making this decision.

He came to Pitt, he played his heart out, and he was a tremendous teammate.

He has said only good things about Pitt and will probably reflect well on Pitt in the future.

I can't fault anyone who has his dream in sight and decides to act upon that dream.

When I came to Pitt, my goal was to be able to get the job I wanted to be able to support my family. Believe me, if I could have gotten a multi-million-dollar contract after one year, I certainly would have taken it.

My response to Bub is this: Good luck, young man. I imagine I'm only one of thousands of Pitt fans who hope to see you succeed. I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope that you keep Pitt in your thoughts too.

I was pretty skeptical when we heard he’d be back next season because it seemed obvious he was going to go in the 1st round. So not surprised by this. And it’s the right choice for him.

At the same time, I’ve really fallen out of love with college basketball because of the NIL. In fact, I barely follow it anymore. Won’t watch one tournament game this year. No point in caring when all the players just hop from team to team. And when you do develop a player, he’ll just hop to UNC or Kansas. Such a corrupt sport.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
I was pretty skeptical when we heard he’d be back next season because it seemed obvious he was going to go in the 1st round. So not surprised by this. And it’s the right choice for him.

At the same time, I’ve really fallen out of love with college basketball because of the NIL. In fact, I barely follow it anymore. Won’t watch one tournament game this year. No point in caring when all the players just hop from team to team. And when you do develop a player, he’ll just hop to UNC or Kansas. Such a corrupt sport.
Sounds like Professional Baseball without multi year contracts ! Pirate fans understand this concept !

Without a NIL cap and limiting players to one free transfer college athletics is a mess . All they’ve done is make it easier for the elite programs to continue their dominance.

Reactions: MTkeeper23
The presser wasn't meant for fans and it will be viewed by many of the players and families of the players they are recruiting. Weather that translates into them getting high level players to commit remains to be seen.
I wasn’t talking about the fans. This is just a blip, if that, on the national radar. Nothing novel here. If Pitt wants to get high level players, they need to win and win big. The occasional one and done at Pitt hasn’t in the past translated into better recruiting and there’s no realistic reason to believe that Bub’s decision will do so either.

This would definitely be one way to supplement Bub’s absence!

I would hope that Pitt knew this might happen a while ago and has planned for it. Specifically, knowing that there are equivalent replacements for Bub or anyone who leaves and who can step in next year and make a difference. Top portal guys and high end recruits have to be their focus.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I’m surprised it wasn’t mentioned on ESPN though. They mentioned the senior providence guard declaring but nothing about BUb yet.

So. You are telling me, that the Lair was wrong? The CBI championship banner will not improve recruiting and improve the team by playing the extra games?? Dammit

What about the ACC Championship in football? That was supposed to lead to Top 10 Classes? Was that all just a lie?
And the pastor said to the congregation: “ do I hear an amen, brothers?”

I wasn’t talking about the fans. This is just a blip, if that, on the national radar. Nothing novel here. If Pitt wants to get high level players, they need to win and win big. The occasional one and done at Pitt hasn’t in the past translated into better recruiting and there’s no realistic reason to believe that Bub’s decision will do so either.
Guess I miss understood your original post. Thought you meant that Cappie showing support and having a presser for him wasn't worth the time and effort. No question that Bub's decision may not translate into better recruiting but given that he made his decision, I think Cappie made the right decision to hold a presser for him and show support. It certainly can't hurt. And it's also hard to quantify weather Pitt having a one and done will or will not help recruiting since the last one was Adams and the way that went down, certainly wasn't going to help anything. The last one and done prior to that was Melvin Bennett back in 1977.

Reactions: Islanderpanther
I have trouble understanding how people can denigrate Bub for making this decision.

He came to Pitt, he played his heart out, and he was a tremendous teammate.

He has said only good things about Pitt and will probably reflect well on Pitt in the future.

I can't fault anyone who has his dream in sight and decides to act upon that dream.

When I came to Pitt, my goal was to be able to get the job I wanted to be able to support my family. Believe me, if I could have gotten a multi-million-dollar contract after one year, I certainly would have taken it.

My response to Bub is this: Good luck, young man. I imagine I'm only one of thousands of Pitt fans who hope to see you succeed. I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope that you keep Pitt in your thoughts too.
This is a very good post.

Because that's exactly the way that the NCAA wants it.
I disagree . This whole NIL thing has gotten out of control and the NCAA find themselves helpless to put a stop to it without being sued . ( and losing )

The NCAA is a bit player now , the big money boosters and national companies who sign the the high profile athletes to endorsement contracts now control college athletics and they can do so openly without any fear of repercussions to their schools .

Money talks just ask Jon Rahm , who already was a multimillionaire many times over , but took LIV money . If he takes the money how can a college athlete not take a better offer ?

It’s worse than professional sports were key players are locked in with multi year contracts that are typically enforced . College athletes that excel are now one and to the portal or renegotiate with their current employer.

College athletics is a mess .

Ps ..at least the coach doesn’t have to worry about buying the kid a meal now , they can afford their own cheeseburger !

Congratulations to Bub Carrington and best of luck in pursuing his NBA dreams. Huge accomplishment for him and great visibility for the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD_6082
I disagree . This whole NIL thing has gotten out of control and the NCAA find themselves helpless to put a stop to it without being sued . ( and losing )

The NCAA was the proverbial ostrich with their head in the sand for a couple of decades, and then they finally picked their head up out of the sand and said "oh, woe is me, how could I possibly do anything about this?"

And of course there still are things the NCAA could do, they just don't have the stomach for them. They (meaning the schools) are going to milk this for as much as they can for as long as they can, and then eventually they are going to be forced into even more things that they don't want, simply because they refuse to be proactive and do, well, really, anything, that might change the situation.

NIL has gotten out of control precisely BECAUSE of the NCAA, and it's something that was completely predictable, and it's something that the NCAA could have done something about a long time ago. But they chose not to, and they deserve all the angst they have over where we are and where things are likely going to go.

The NCAA was the proverbial ostrich with their head in the sand for a couple of decades, and then they finally picked their head up out of the sand and said "oh, woe is me, how could I possibly do anything about this?"

And of course there still are things the NCAA could do, they just don't have the stomach for them. They (meaning the schools) are going to milk this for as much as they can for as long as they can, and then eventually they are going to be forced into even more things that they don't want, simply because they refuse to be proactive and do, well, really, anything, that might change the situation.

NIL has gotten out of control precisely BECAUSE of the NCAA, and it's something that was completely predictable, and it's something that the NCAA could have done something about a long time ago. But they chose not to, and they deserve all the angst they have over where we are and where things are likely going to go.
Since you know everything you ought to get in touch with the NCAA and their lawyers and tell them exactly what to do now !

The players are not getting paid by their schools and prohibiting someone for using their NIL is a lost battle .

Since you know everything you ought to get in touch with the NCAA and their lawyers and tell them exactly what to do now !

The players are not getting paid by their schools and prohibiting someone for using their NIL is a lost battle .

You tell them to just cross their fingers that the "let us be employees" and "unlimited eligibility" lawsuits dont happen for awhile because they have as good of a chance of winning those as RMU winning a Natty.

You tell them to just cross their fingers that the "let us be employees" and "unlimited eligibility" lawsuits dont happen for awhile because they have as good of a chance of winning those as RMU winning a Natty.

"Cross our fingers and hope we don't get sued" has been the NCAA strategy for decades now. And it's worked just about as well as most people would have expected it to work.

But don't tell Fs. He thinks cross your fingers and hope is and always has been a winning strategy.

Why would anyone want to be proactive when they can cross their fingers and hope?

"Cross our fingers and hope we don't get sued" has been the NCAA strategy for decades now. And it's worked just about as well as most people would have expected it to work.

But don't tell Fs. He thinks cross your fingers and hope is and always has been a winning strategy.

Why would anyone want to be proactive when they can cross their fingers and hope?

To be fair, what can the NCAA really do at this point? They know the players will be employees soon so they are just going to get as much out of these last few years as they can.

To be fair, what can the NCAA really do at this point? They know the players will be employees soon so they are just going to get as much out of these last few years as they can.

Well right, they know where this is all headed, and yet they still fight it every step of the way. Rather than get some really smart people together to figure out something that works better for everyone, they'd rather milk the last dollars they can until some court somewhere forces them into something they don't want to do. Again.

And of course the problem with that strategy, as we have seen given where things are right now, is that sometimes you get forced into things that you really don't want, and that might not be the best for the sport or for college athletics overall, that could have been avoided with some proactive measures.

But hey, at least they got that last dollar today. Tomorrow is for suckers, today is all that matters.

You still haven’t given one workable idea , you just like to point out others mistakes . No solutions!

We all know the NCAA was asleep at the wheel .

Everyone was making bank at the kid’s expense, the coaches making millions , the ADs , at large schools have excessively large salaries and the schools themselves are raking in millions , why would any of them rock the boat .

Now the schools have legalized booster cash to distribute, what could be better for the haves !

The kids who are the real stars and drive the bottom line now have the leverage . Great for them and sucks for the have nots .

Now the players are just like the men who coach them , excel and move on to a higher paying job . There is one difference , the coaches are leaving signed contracts while scholarships are only one yr deals .

Let’s hear Joe’s plan !

You still haven’t given one workable idea , you just like to point out others mistakes . No solutions!

We all know the NCAA was asleep at the wheel .

Everyone was making bank at the kid’s expense, the coaches making millions , the ADs , at large schools have excessively large salaries and the schools themselves are raking in millions , why would any of them rock the boat .

Now the schools have legalized booster cash to distribute, what could be better for the haves !

The kids who are the real stars and drive the bottom line now have the leverage . Great for them and sucks for the have nots .

Now the players are just like the men who coach them , excel and move on to a higher paying job . There is one difference , the coaches are leaving signed contracts while scholarships are only one yr deals .

Let’s hear Joe’s plan !

Actually I've been giving a workable idea for more than a decade. And not surprisingly, it's where this is all going to end up eventually anyway, whether the NCAA keeps it's collective head stuck in the sand or not.

Make the players employees. Sign a collective bargaining agreement with a player's union that can both take into account the best interests of the players while simultaneously allowing the NCAA (or whatever replaces the NCAA) to set rules about what is and is not allowed. If the NCAA had done that a decade ago, they would have had the upper hand and could have gotten a much better deal for the schools, as opposed to now when the courts have given the players the upper hand. So any deal they get now is going to be, from the school's perspective, much worse than what it could have been. But hey, at least they wrung every last dollar they could from a dying system for as long as they could, right?

And as I said, the current "system" is so good for the haves that three clear "have nots" made the Final Four this year, one year after three clear "have nots" made the Final Four. NIL payments aren't favoring the "haves", they are providing a way for the "have nots" to better compete with the "haves". Which is obvious to anyone who understands even a little bit what is going on.

So clearly, not you.

Reactions: Ski11585 and Franb
Actually I've been giving a workable idea for more than a decade. And not surprisingly, it's where this is all going to end up eventually anyway, whether the NCAA keeps it's collective head stuck in the sand or not.

Make the players employees. Sign a collective bargaining agreement with a player's union that can both take into account the best interests of the players while simultaneously allowing the NCAA (or whatever replaces the NCAA) to set rules about what is and is not allowed. If the NCAA had done that a decade ago, they would have had the upper hand and could have gotten a much better deal for the schools, as opposed to now when the courts have given the players the upper hand. So any deal they get now is going to be, from the school's perspective, much worse than what it could have been. But hey, at least they wrung every last dollar they could from a dying system for as long as they could, right?

And as I said, the current "system" is so good for the haves that three clear "have nots" made the Final Four this year, one year after three clear "have nots" made the Final Four. NIL payments aren't favoring the "haves", they are providing a way for the "have nots" to better compete with the "haves". Which is obvious to anyone who understands even a little bit what is going on.

So clearly, not you.

I don't think the NIL evens things out as much as early draft entries & the transfer portal. It evens it out some, but the big money schools still have advantages.

Last year, there were 3 have nots. I don't know that there are any this year.
Alabama, Purdue, and NC State may not be blue bloods, but aren't exactly "have nots".

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
In basketball? When was the last time Alabama or Purdue won anything?

Purdue has more regular season Big 10 Championships than anybody. 3 Final Fours, 6 Elite Eights, and 14 Sweet Sixteens.

Alabama has produced a lot of talent over the last 30 years and several good teams. As a program, I think Bama is either on par with, or better than a handful of other SEC programs that have been to a Final Four before. (LSU, Miss State, Auburn)

I guess it depends on your definition of a college basketball have & have not. I think it's much easier to win at Alabama and Purdue than it is at schools like VCU, George Mason, Loyola-Chicago, Texas Tech, Butler, or Wichita State, all of which made a Final Four in the last decade or so before NIL.

In basketball? When was the last time Alabama or Purdue won anything?
The haves are the teams with the money . Think Pitts NIL kitty is similar to UConn , Alabama, NCS and Purdue ?

The NIL is relatively new to college athletics and the best way to use the NIL and the portal are an ongoing learning experience. Hurley has it down while Cal seems clueless and it cost him his job . He won’t make that mistake at Arkansas.

Teams with the cash will dominate in the long run . There always will be exceptions . But you don’t seem to understand this !

Think JC didn’t want a dominant big last season , sure he did , but he didn’t have the cash to buy one .

Programs like Kentucky, Kansas , Duke etc won’t take long to fill out their rosters with the best available portal guys that money can buy and they will outbid lesser programs for them . They also have the cash to retain their best players .

Schools like Texas with large NIL kitties won’t be too far behind .

The elites with cash and schools with large booster groups will dominate and why would they want to change the system it’s rigged in their favor . Why would the players want the system to change their free agents every yr .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT