ADVERTISEMENT

Bye bye AB.....

If only the Steelers would have been smart enough to trade him sooner, they could have gotten another first round pick to whiff on.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Can someone who knows the AB situation explain this.

1. When AB went to the Raiders from the Steelers did the Steelers get stuck with any of AB's compensation.

2. When AB went to NE from the Raiders did Pittsburgh have any responsibility for AB compensation.
Also what did the Raiders have to pay AB when he went to NE.

Someone I know who sometimes I wish I didn't know is telling me Pittsburgh was paying AB when he played for the Raiders.
This guy is a Giants fan so maybe that explains things.

Thank you.

Last edited:
The evidence must be so damning they had no choice. My guess is he will be wearing braclets sooner than later

The evidence must be so damning they had no choice. My guess is he will be wearing braclets sooner than later

I don’t know all they know of course but what happened in the last 24 hours was likely enough. Did you see the threatening texts he sent to that woman artist?

Or,

Maybe Belechick has had enough.

Even if AB were to be cleared of all of this, I think Belechick has had more than enough.

He doesnt need this guy to win the SB

Reactions: PittFamily2
AB was too low key and even complimentary of the Patriots in his 'farewell' tweet. They must have given him a sweet check along with the release.

Can someone who knows the AB situation explain this"

1. When AB went to the Raiders from the Steelers did the Steelers get stuck with any of AB's compensation.

2. When AB went to NE from the Raiders did Pittsburgh have any responsibility for AB compensation.

Someone I know who sometimes I wish I didn't know is telling me Pittsburgh was paying AB when he played for the Raiders.

Thank you.

The Steelers had to absorb his signing bonus against the cap when he went to the Raiders. I believe they previously intended to spread it out over the duration of the contract, but they had to take the hit of the entire remainder of it this year once they traded him. But that wasn't actually money exchanging hands; it was already paid upfront .

I don't believe Oakland is on the hook for a dollar, because he wasn't on the active roster for week 1.

I'm not sure what NE is on the hook for. I'm guessing they're going to have to pay him something, though.

The Steelers had to absorb his signing bonus against the cap when he went to the Raiders. I believe they previously intended to spread it out over the duration of the contract, but they had to take the hit of the entire remainder of it this year once they traded him. But that wasn't actually money exchanging hands; it was already paid upfront .

I don't believe Oakland is on the hook for a dollar, because he wasn't on the active roster for week 1.

I'm not sure what NE is on the hook for. I'm guessing they're going to have to pay him something, though.
He wasn't on the Steelers active roster week # 1 either.

So the Raiders would have had AB for free?
I thought the Steelers had to eat the signing bonus, and the Raiders had to eat his contract.

I thought the Steelers had to eat the signing bonus, and the Raiders had to eat his contract.

He signed a new contract with the Raiders. Because they cut him when they did they paid him virtually nothing. And maybe nothing period.

The Steelers did eat the signing bonus. That was already paid when he signed the contract. Other than a player breaching contract, that's money you'll never see again. However, you can typically spread the signing bonus cap hit out over the duration of the contract. But since the Steelers traded him, they had to recognize the entire remaining amount against this year's cap.

So, random example: You sign a player for 5 years/$75 million with $40M guaranteed (aka the signing bonus portion). You can spread that out to $15M/year for 5 years. If you do that, you probably would not make it an equal guaranteed/non-guaranteed ratio each year. Reason being, a player wouldn't have much incentive to perform well in those last few years if he already got $40M up front and $7M/year for the first three years. That last $14M in years 4 and 5 might not mean much. So, if you're still doing a $15M/year cap hit, you would want to backload the final non-guaranteed years (e.g. $3M guaranteed money counting against the cap and $12M that you actually have to pay him) so the player is still incentivized to perform well and not get cut (since the loss of the non-guaranteed portion would actually be hitting him in the pocket). Obviously, that's an over simplified example, and there is always some juggling involved. But that's why the Steelers don't usually keep veterans around for those final years when they're not performing as well as the money they're due. I don't think they would have reached that point with Brown, but they did with Polamalu, Ward, etc. I don't know the specifics of those contracts, but I'm betting the non-guaranteed portions were higher toward the end.

Regardless, I believe there was something like $21 in guaranteed money (already paid) left on Brown's contract that we originally wanted to spread over three years but had to recognize entirely this year, once we traded him. But that should mean there is some money freed up for next year.

And, as someone mentioned, the Raiders basically tore up his prior contract after that trade and gave him a new one. I'm sure it included guaranteed money, but I don't believe they had to pay any of that since he wasn't active on week 1. There were roster bonuses and whatnot due to him over the summer (as part of the non-guaranteed portion of the contract, I believe), but I doubt he saw many of those, because he was too busy playing helmet wars and getting frostbite.

Last edited:
But that's why the Steelers don't usually keep veterans around for those final years when they're not performing as well as the money they're due.

Actually the Stillers are one of the few teams that rarely cuts stars before their contract is up. That's one of the things they used as a selling point for Le'Veon Bell, that they weren't giving him as much guaranteed money as other places might but that he would almost certainly collect all the money in the contract if he signed with the Stillers.

And teams backload the salary in long term contracts as a salary cap aid. In your 5 year, $75 million, $40 million guaranteed scenario no team in the league, literally none, would pay the non-guaranteed money at $7 million per season for five seasons. Almost every team would make the first year salary at or close to the league minimum, because it reduces your salary cap hit in the first year and pushes more money into later years when the cap will be larger.

For instance the contract that Roethlisberger signed this off season was for three years. His base salary this year is "only" $2.5 million, but next year it's $8.5 million. Or look at Cam Heyward, who has the second largest cap hit on the team. His base salary the first year of the deal was only $1 million. This year it's $8.75 million. Next year it's $9.5 million. But even though Heyward made a lot more money (because of the signing bonus) his first year of the contract, he only counted $6.4 million against the cap, whereas this season he counts $14.9 million. But teams are OK with that, for one reason because the cap is $45 million higher this year than it was four years ago.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Boomin' no more.

Good riddance
Assuming that AB isn't picked up by another team (which I think is a very safe assumption), then how long until he files a lawsuit against the NFL claiming that CTE caused his behavioral problems which lead to his release?

Actually the Stillers are one of the few teams that rarely cuts stars before their contract is up. That's one of the things they used as a selling point for Le'Veon Bell, that they weren't giving him as much guaranteed money as other places might but that he would almost certainly collect all the money in the contract if he signed with the Stillers.

And teams backload the salary in long term contracts as a salary cap aid. In your 5 year, $75 million, $40 million guaranteed scenario no team in the league, literally none, would pay the non-guaranteed money at $7 million per season for five seasons. Almost every team would make the first year salary at or close to the league minimum, because it reduces your salary cap hit in the first year and pushes more money into later years when the cap will be larger.

For instance the contract that Roethlisberger signed this off season was for three years. His base salary this year is "only" $2.5 million, but next year it's $8.5 million. Or look at Cam Heyward, who has the second largest cap hit on the team. His base salary the first year of the deal was only $1 million. This year it's $8.75 million. Next year it's $9.5 million. But even though Heyward made a lot more money (because of the signing bonus) his first year of the contract, he only counted $6.4 million against the cap, whereas this season he counts $14.9 million. But teams are OK with that, for one reason because the cap is $45 million higher this year than it was four years ago.

I specified that Brown would not fall into that category and that it mostly applies to aging veterans no longer performing at a high level.

And I literally said that my 5/75 example was overly-simplified and teams backload the non-guaranteed money. It is literally right there in my post, so, again, not sure what you're debating. You must either have read one line and went with it, or you're trolling me.

How can this be?
I thought AB was crazy like a fox and outsmarted everyone.
It’s amazing how many people thought AB planned the whole thing and was going to win a Super Bowl with NE.
What a pathetic ending.
He actually was pretty clever. But couldn't hide his past perversions. In this climate, even New England couldn't ignore that, especially after their owner's own pervert scandal.

What is interesting is that these victims (Pittsburgh based, hmmm) didn't surface until AB was with New England, and away from the team that the Steelers had made a legit deal with. The Rooney Mafia most definitely could have been instrumental in that... and if so, bravo.

He should have paid the woman the money she wanted. I think too many hits to the head had him thinking he was above the law and could screw anyone he wanted especially when it came to money.

Can someone who knows the AB situation explain this.

Thank you.
The Steelers haven't played ab since last year, they are however o. The hook for around 21 in cap hit. They already paid him that money in the form of bonuses

Or I'm pointing out where your oversimplification is clearly off, and explaining what the actual situation is, one or the other.

Considering I literally said afterwards that it was just an example to explain guaranteed vs non-guaranteed money, and most non-guaranteed money is stacked toward the end of the contract, it sure it a good thing you chimed in to say the exact same thing.

Considering I literally said afterwards that it was just an example to explain guaranteed vs non-guaranteed money, and most non-guaranteed money is stacked toward the end of the contract, it sure it a good thing you chimed in to say the exact same thing.

I don’t think Joe was debating you on the mechanics of the contracts. He was just saying that backloading the non guaranteed money isn’t to incentivize a player. It is to have a cap number that is lower in year 1 and more at the end of term when the cap is higher, and when they can restructure by signing a new deal to bring that hit back down. That’s actually what they did with AB with 2 years left. Part of that $21million dead money was a restructuring bonus because his deal saved cap space in 2018. So in this case it bit them in the ass.

Patriots are ridiculous in all of this.
why?...if they controlled him and he helped them fine, if not they cut him as they are still the AFC's best team. Does not seem "ridiculous" to me. they did not know of this sexual harassment business..why, why, its almost as if their primary focus (as a professional football organization) is winning football games.

why?...if they controlled him and he helped them fine, if not they cut him as they are still the AFC's best team. Does not seem "ridiculous" to me. they did not know of this sexual harassment business..why, why, its almost as if their primary focus (as a professional football organization) is winning football games.
I think the outcome proves this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT