ADVERTISEMENT

Can Jack Harrison from Leeds play for the USMNT?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The US isn't going to give him a passport just so he can play for the national team like other countries, so for the citizenship experts out there, what would Harrison need to do? He lived in the US from 2010-17, going to prep school, playing for Wake Forest (for 1 year which I didn't know), and then for NYCFC for 2 years before moving back to England.

The US isn't going to give him a passport just so he can play for the national team like other countries, so for the citizenship experts out there, what would Harrison need to do? He lived in the US from 2010-17, going to prep school, playing for Wake Forest (for 1 year which I didn't know), and then for NYCFC for 2 years before moving back to England.
Well Tyler Adams says he’s a yank so I guess that counts for something…or not.

But let me ask you this…where would he play?

Link!

Long story short, unless he would get a favorable ruling from FIFA he is not now and never will be eligible to play for the US.

But since the rules are at least a little murky, that leaves open the possibility that if someone were willing to help out the right FIFA members with some things (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) he might be able to get such a ruling, if he were to actually want to do so.

Is there any evidence that he has any interest?

Link!

Long story short, unless he would get a favorable ruling from FIFA he is not now and never will be eligible to play for the US.

But since the rules are at least a little murky, that leaves open the possibility that if someone were willing to help out the right FIFA members with some things (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) he might be able to get such a ruling, if he were to actually want to do so.

Is there any evidence that he has any interest?
But again, where’s he want him to play? Ahead of Pulisic?

Yeah, that's why I'm asking if there is any reason to think that he has an interest. He's only going to switch (if he were ever even allowed to) if he thinks he's going to play. He's not going to make that switch to play some friendlies or play in a Gold Cup. He's only going to do it if he's going to get to play World Cups. Which is no given.

BTW, speaking of guys switching countries, did you see that it came out today that there is some dude who played for the US youth teams that switched at the senior level and has played a couple senior level games for Mexico who it seems never filed the FIFA paperwork to make the switch.

First of all, how does Mexico let a guy like that play unless he has the proper paperwork in place? Secondly, it now appears that what might be going on is that this guy is having second thoughts and might not want to play for Mexico after all, which might be why he never filed the paperwork to make the change.

Thirdly, if you are FIFA and it turns out to be true that the guy played for Mexico even though he did not file the paperwork to switch counties, what do you do? I mean they were just friendlies. But on the other hand it's a rule that everyone knows, especially the people that run the federations. And they would have had to have known that they were breaking the rules when they broke the rules. And you can't just let something like that slide.

Guy's name is Alejandro Zendejas. Currently a regular starter for Club America.

I mean, he'd play. Would he be a starter? No. But he'd play and given all the injuries and stuff, he'd be a semi-regular. Is there any reason to believe he'd play less than Paul Arriola, who gets ample PT.

I doubt there's much mutual interest but I was just wondering what the actual citizenship/FIFA requirements would be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT