ADVERTISEMENT

Rooting for Wake or Clemson?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Very interesting game at 6PM Saturday. BTW, why does the ACC always have to stack all their games on top of each other? They used to stack everything in at noon/2. This week, there's no noon game and 5 of the 8 games start at 5:30 or later. This is partly due to LIV Golf as The CW does primetime ACC games when it has LIV Golf in the afternoon but you'd think ESPN/ACCN would know that and stagger their games more.

Anyway, who are we rooting for? If we beat NC St, we get the double bye if Wake wins and then we'd play them on Thursday. But that sets up what could be a play-out game and while there's still a chance we can get in with a loss, there's no possible way we could get in over Wake at that point.

If Clemson wins, we get the 5, have a cant-lose-or-you're out game vs ND, GT, Miami, or BC and then get Clemson who we haven't beaten since the Obama administration. A Clemson win would push Wake beneath us but they would have a favorable draw getting UVa on Thursday to get back in.

Gotta root for Wake, right?

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Before last night, I would root for wake for a Q1 win. But I doubt they can move back up to the top 30 anymore. It’s hard to beat a team twice, let alone 3 times in a season. But playing Clemson after having played another game the day before is nothing I want a part of. I’d rather take Wake after they play a game the day before. I honestly want Virginia.

Very interesting game at 6PM Saturday. BTW, why does the ACC always have to stack all their games on top of each other? They used to stack everything in at noon/2. This week, there's no noon game and 5 of the 8 games start at 5:30 or later. This is partly due to LIV Golf as The CW does primetime ACC games when it has LIV Golf in the afternoon but you'd think ESPN/ACCN would know that and stagger their games more.

Anyway, who are we rooting for? If we beat NC St, we get the double bye if Wake wins and then we'd play them on Thursday. But that sets up what could be a play-out game and while there's still a chance we can get in with a loss, there's no possible way we could get in over Wake at that point.

If Clemson wins, we get the 5, have a cant-lose-or-you're out game vs ND, GT, Miami, or BC and then get Clemson who we haven't beaten since the Obama administration. A Clemson win would push Wake beneath us but they would have a favorable draw getting UVa on Thursday to get back in.

I dunno. I think I want Clemson to win to knock out wake. And I like that draw in the tourney if it were to happen that way. I always like our chances playing a team a 3rd time.

That said, the DJ Burns match up worries me Saturday. Hope we wear him out again.

you'd think ESPN/ACCN would know that and stagger their games more.

You'd think that ESPN and the ACCN knew exactly what the situation was and scheduled the games in the way that they thought made the most sense for them.

Or, well, you'd think that if you had a even a modicum of common sense.

Reactions: PittED2001

I want WF to win. The double bye gives you the best chance to advance to the Finals.

I think it’s very obvious Pitt ideally wants to be the #4. The double bye is so big and I personally would like to see in a make or break kinda game against Clemson again. I truly think they would beat them in the 3rd game. Adding a win against Clemson also I believe would put them in for sure by reaching the ACC Semi’s. 22-11 would be enough in this scenario

Reactions: Cavalier Panther

I want the double bye for the significantly greater chance of winning the ACC tournament.

I think it’s very obvious Pitt ideally wants to be the #4. The double bye is so big and I personally would like to see in a make or break kinda game against Clemson again. I truly think they would beat them in the 3rd game. Adding a win against Clemson also I believe would put them in for sure by reaching the ACC Semi’s. 22-11 would be enough in this scenario

There isnt a scenario where #4 Pitt can play #5 Clemson but several where #4 Clemson can play #5 Pitt.

There's one scenario where #3 Pitt can play #6 Clemson. If Pitt wins, Wake wins, and UVa loses.

Reactions: FireballZ
There isnt a scenario where #4 Pitt can play #5 Clemson but several where #4 Clemson can play #5 Pitt.
My bad I meant Wake. Same thing though, I think that game would benefit them already having the double bye personally. Just think it’s sorta nonsense to not root for a double bye. I think getting as close to the championship game as possible is always valuable

My bad I meant Wake. Same thing though, I think that game would benefit them already having the double bye personally. Just think it’s sorta nonsense to not root for a double bye. I think getting as close to the championship game as possible is always valuable

Yea just dont like the idea of giving Wake the chance to pass us. I felt this way on the last day of the regular season in 2016. I didnt want Syracuse even though we beat them twice because I felt if they beat us, they would pass us.

My greater point really is that I don’t really believe beating BC or ND provides much value. Sure it’s another potential win but does it really move the needle? I’d rather take the gamble of a do or die game scenario personally. Pitt needs to beat a team on the bubble line and Wake would provide that opportunity. Also Pitt could still play Clemson if UVA slips up to GT. Clemson would be the #6

Miami and BC would probably be Quad 2 Wins if things shake out and we have to play one of them on Wednesday. Playing ND, Louisville, or GT on Wednesday offer nothing except a potential upset.

Miami and BC would probably be Quad 2 Wins if things shake out and we have to play one of them on Wednesday. Playing ND, Louisville, or GT on Wednesday offer nothing except a potential upset.

Things will probably change at the bottom of the standings, but during tonight's BC - Miami game they showed the "bracket if the season ended right now" and as the five seed we would be playing the winner of Georgia Tech and Notre Dame.

This falls under the "careful for what you wish for" for me. I always route for whichever scenario would move Pitt up in the conference standings. Period. Hoping to play someone the next game just stings so bad if they do play them and we poo the bed.
So for me Wake it is.

Reactions: Dewey Eye
This falls under the "careful for what you wish for" for me. I always route for whichever scenario would move Pitt up in the conference standings. Period. Hoping to play someone the next game just stings so bad if they do play them and we poo the bed.
So for me Wake it is.
I agree wholeheartedly, mainly because I took off Wednesday-Friday from work anyway and I’d like to golf Wednesday if we’re not playing.

Pitt can knock out Wake. Wake could knock out Pitt. Pitt can’t knock out Clemson. Clemson could knock out Pitt.

I feel strongly Clemson will win Saturday. The court storming karma seems to have doomed Wake. I wouldn’t have given GT much chance to win at UVA, but after they won at Wake it’s possible they win a low scoring affair although I believe UVA will prevail which will have UVA as the 3, Clemson 4 and Pitt 5. Losing to Clemson in a competitive game won’t necessarily knock Pitt out unless the ACC is limited to only 4 bids which would be low for the 4th highest NET rated conference. In fact, assuming UVA gets blown out again by Duke in the semifinals, one could make the case that Pitt is more deserving of a bid than UVA.

I feel strongly Clemson will win Saturday. The court storming karma seems to have doomed Wake. I wouldn’t have given GT much chance to win at UVA, but after they won at Wake it’s possible they win a low scoring affair although I believe UVA will prevail which will have UVA as the 3, Clemson 4 and Pitt 5. Losing to Clemson in a competitive game won’t necessarily knock Pitt out unless the ACC is limited to only 4 bids which would be low for the 4th highest NET rated conference. In fact, assuming UVA gets blown out again by Duke in the semifinals, one could make the case that Pitt is more deserving of a bid than UVA.

I think Wake and UVa win. UVa losing would be really good for us as I think that pushes them below us.

Reactions: SteelBowl70

I would think Wake, as well.

Obviously for the double bye, but also because Wake is floundering.

the most unlucky scenario is Virginia losing, Pitt winning and Clemson beating wake. Virginia Pitt and Clemson all end at 12-8 but Clemson gets 3, Virginia 4, and Pitt 5 seed. Kinda like how we lost all the tie breakers last year and ended up as the 5 seed.

the most unlucky scenario is Virginia losing, Pitt winning and Clemson beating wake. Virginia Pitt and Clemson all end at 12-8 but Clemson gets 3, Virginia 4, and Pitt 5 seed. Kinda like how we lost all the tie breakers last year and ended up as the 5 seed.
GT has beaten @Duke, @wake, UNc, and @Clemson. They have some bad losses, but with the way Virginia is playing, it wouldn’t shock me if they beat UVa. Another Net flaw. A team with 4Q1 wins should be top 75. Yet they are 125.

Reactions: Zepley09
GT has beaten @Duke, @wake, UNc, and @Clemson. They have some bad losses, but with the way Virginia is playing, it wouldn’t shock me if they beat UVa. Another Net flaw. A team with 4Q1 wins should be top 75. Yet they are 125.

If you don't want your NET ranking to suck, don't lose to UMass-Lowell at home, Lousiville anywhere on the planet earth, BC at home and Notre Dame twice.

Don’t really care, but we might as well get the double bye.

If we beat NC St and win one after a double bye, we are a lock.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
If you don't want your NET ranking to suck, don't lose to UMass-Lowell at home, Lousiville anywhere on the planet earth, BC at home and Notre Dame twice.

GT always loses those Nov games and always beats good ACC teams. FSU is the same way. Nov/Dec is critically important which is why I have said the ACC needs to play more November conference games because conference games dont hurt the conference NET. These should prepare teams like GT, FSU, Lou, BC for their cupcake games and better OOC games.

After some thought, I think it is best for Pitts tourney chances to have:
Pitt beat NcST
Clemson beat Wake - at this point Pitt and Wake are vying for the same spot
GT beat Virginia - at this point Pitt and Virginia are vying for the same spot

We miss the double bye. Yes I get the risk of playing a 12 or 15 seed, but if Pitt loses that they don’t deserve to make the tourney. They can then beat Virginia and knock them out. Wake would also have a harder 2nd round opponent in Clemson or Duke.

If Virginia and Clemson win, so be it. We try to take game three vs Clemson. I know it’s a worse matchup, but third times a charm right:)? But it basically assures wake would play UNC or Duke and get knocked out.

After some thought, I think it is best for Pitts tourney chances to have:
Pitt beat NcST
Clemson beat Wake - at this point Pitt and Wake are vying for the same spot
GT beat Virginia - at this point Pitt and Virginia are vying for the same spot

We miss the double bye. Yes I get the risk of playing a 12 or 15 seed, but if Pitt loses that they don’t deserve to make the tourney. They can then beat Virginia and knock them out. Wake would also have a harder 2nd round opponent in Clemson or Duke.

If Virginia and Clemson win, so be it. We try to take game three vs Clemson. I know it’s a worse matchup, but third times a charm right:)? But it basically assures wake would play UNC or Duke and get knocked out.
I’m rooting for Ga Tech and Wake - knocks UVA off several lines and we still get a double bye and potentially another shot at Clemson.

Idk - lol

I’m rooting for Ga Tech and Wake - knocks UVA off several lines and we still get a double bye and potentially another shot at Clemson.

Idk - lol

Im rooting for Pitt.

Beat NC State and go on a run and make the ACC Tournament Finals and we are in regardless of what anyone else does.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Im rooting for Pitt.

Beat NC State and go on a run and make the ACC Tournament Finals and we are in regardless of what anyone else does.
Well - that’s right! If they win tomorrow- no reason not to set sights high for the ACCt.

Im rooting for Pitt.

I honestly hate all this backdoor bullshit to get in.

Take the frickin bull by the horns and win down the closing stretch of the season. Go out and Earn it.

Hey Hinson, you want to be a mt. rushmore Pitt player like this board wants to pump you to be? Put this team on your back like Knight and make a run. Make a statement in the ACC tournament and shut people up like Lunardi.

I honestly hate all this backdoor bullshit to get in.

Take the frickin bull by the horns and win down the closing stretch of the season. Go out and Earn it.

Hey Hinson, you want to be a mt. rushmore Pitt player like this board wants to pump you to be? Put this team on your back like Knight and make a run. Make a statement in the ACC tournament and shut people up like Lunardi.

Hey Hinson,

Here is Krauser leading and crushing the #2 team in the country in the Big East Tournament and making a statement.

North Carolina is the best team in the league and I hope we play them in the ACC tournament. Go out and make a statement and step up.

I know that conferences aren't supposed to matter but the way I look at the NCAA tourney this year is the ACC is getting 4 Teams in. Duke, UNC, Clemson, and....

So in that regard, I think we need to root hard against Wake and UVA in every game while beating NC State and at least a game in the ACC tourney. Those two teams losing really helps our cause. I can't see 5 getting in from the ACC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zepley09
I know that conferences aren't supposed to matter but the way I look at the NCAA tourney this year is the ACC is getting 4 Teams in. Duke, UNC, Clemson, and....

So in that regard, I think we need to root hard against Wake and UVA in every game while beating NC State and at least a game in the ACC tourney. Those two teams losing really helps our cause. I can't see 5 getting in from the ACC.
I disagree. I think the ACC could definitely get 5.

2 of Wake, Pitt, UVa.

Hey Hinson,

Here is Krauser leading and crushing the #2 team in the country in the Big East Tournament and making a statement.

North Carolina is the best team in the league and I hope we play them in the ACC tournament. Go out and make a statement and step up.

You are giving the wrong guy props for this game. Antonio Graves is the guy who really stepped up in that game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT