ADVERTISEMENT

Can we stop The Spread?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Lost in the euphoria of Saturday's win was that our secondary was absolutely shredded by a mediocre, 1st time starting QB, learning a new offense.....to the tune of 332 yards. While you can attribute some of that to the attentio Pitt paid to Barkley, the fact remains that Pitt has not been good at all against Spread Offenses.

The season is shaping up, interestingly, where we start the season against 5 spread offenses but the first 4 get progressively more difficult each game.

Nova's spread had 1AA players running it so there wasnt much of a threat.

PSU has playmakers but they were in ther 2nd game running it (3rd if you count their Spring Game when they blew out their 2nd string).

OKST's is better than PSU's but is more pass-happy

UNC with big-time playmakers at QV, RB, and WR is the best of the 4.

Pitt absolutely needs to get pressure on the quarterback and be prepared to have to score 40+ points these next 2 weeks.

Reactions: paulbl99
I guess we'll find out. I do think Pitt won't have to sellout to stop the run as much v. the Pokes or the Carolina. And, yes, I know Carolina has a pair of talented RBs. I just think that Barkley's on a different level. Also, can't hurt to continually match up v. similar offenses. The defense may develop some comfort and better understanding of how to stop it.

A better question becomes, if Pitt can find a semblance of passing game, can the upcoming opponents slow the Panthers offense? If not, Pitt may simply have to contain the spread rather than outright stop it.

Lost in the euphoria of Saturday's win was that our secondary was absolutely shredded by a mediocre, 1st time starting QB, learning a new offense.....to the tune of 332 yards. While you can attribute some of that to the attentio Pitt paid to Barkley, the fact remains that Pitt has not been good at all against Spread Offenses.

The season is shaping up, interestingly, where we start the season against 5 spread offenses but the first 4 get progressively more difficult each game.

PSU has playmakers but they were in ther 2nd game running it (3rd if you count their Spring Game when they blew out their 2nd string).

Pitt absolutely needs to get pressure on the quarterback and be prepared to have to score 40+ points these next 2 weeks.

I really feel this is a catagorically untrue basis for your rationale.

I mean... truly... we were watching different games this year. We faced the spread twice, and both times preformed very well. Barkley was held to 4 ypc even though the spread keeps players off the line, and psu was forced to throw underneath due to tight coverage until we relaxed with a big lead. They only had 130 yards at half time, and that is with the last drive of the half. Villanova, who had a very good spread last year, we limited to almost nothing all game long.

The goal of the game is to win. Not give up the fewest yards. It is clear that our defense is playing the spread very well, and that is with questionable athleticism at some spots. This week we are going against one of the best in the biz, so I would think our over under has to be around 30 points. If we give us 55 then yeah, very bad game. If we give up 27, I think that is a good defensive game against the Cowboys.

The notion we were at all shreaded last week is just laughable. We had tight coverage, a couple gaffes were we gave up some longer plays, their biggest play came on a 40 yard td from a speedy rb on a slower lb, other than that, they took what we gave them

A better question becomes, if Pitt can find a semblance of passing game, can the upcoming opponents slow the Panthers offense? If not, Pitt may simply have to contain the spread rather than outright stop it.

In the Big 12, defense and tackling are optional so I think we'll score points, just hopefully 1 more than OKST. However, at some point, we will have to throw. PSU did a pretty good job stopping our running game in the 2nd Half.

If u thought their young QB is mediocre ur probably in the monitory,he's lost 3 football games in his entire football career,he has a bright future...Pitt will be better this week defensively that last,last week was real emotional and I don't think they played anywhere near their potential but give psu credit they played with a lot of heart

I mean... truly... we were watching different games this year. We faced the spread twice, and both times preformed very well. Barkley was held to 4 ypc even though the spread keeps players off the line, and psu was forced to throw underneath due to tight coverage until we relaxed with a big lead. They only had 130 yards at half time, and that is with the last drive of the half. Villanova, who had a very good spread last year, we limited to almost nothing all game long.

The goal of the game is to win. Not give up the fewest yards. It is clear that our defense is playing the spread very well, and that is with questionable athleticism at some spots. This week we are going against one of the best in the biz, so I would think our over under has to be around 30 points. If we give us 55 then yeah, very bad game. If we give up 27, I think that is a good defensive game against the Cowboys.

The notion we were at all shreaded last week is just laughable. We had tight coverage, a couple gaffes were we gave up some longer plays, their biggest play came on a 40 yard td from a speedy rb on a slower lb, other than that, they took what we gave them

-OP should of mentioned that in the 1st game Nate Peterman fumbled and gave Villanova a TD ona fumble return. Against Penn State James Conner fumbled on the 6 yard line and Penn State scored. Then we had a punt return returned to the 15 yard line that went for a TD, and another one returned to the 40 for a TD. Maybe if our offense doesnt keep spotting the other team a TD every game and we clean up on special teams, our defense wont have to bail us out. That's 24 points I just mentioned in 2 games screwed up by our own offense and special teams. And lets not go back to last season and how turnovers killed us

Reactions: pittdan77

Nevertheless teams who give up 39 points usually lose! It wasn't a good defensive performance.

Reactions: paulbl99
Nevertheless teams who give up 39 points usually lose! It wasn't a good defensive performance.

-Defense did its job. 4 Forced turnovers and #1 in the country in sacks. That's the result of the defensive line winning the game regardless of offense and special teams screwups. Game 3 comes down to Pitt's Dine creating pressure vs Ok State's spread happy pass happy offense. Get pressure and win the turnover battle, and I like our chances greatly. Their run game is extinct and non existent.

-Defense did its job. 4 Forced turnovers and #1 in the country in sacks. That's the result of the defensive line winning the game regardless of offense and special teams screwups. Game 3 comes down to Pitt's Dine creating pressure vs Ok State's spread happy pass happy offense. Get pressure and win the turnover battle, and I like our chances greatly. Their run game is extinct and non existent.
We won..that's the important thing. Don't mean to quibble but giving up 39 points when you have also forced 4 turnovers means that aside from the possessions when you created the TOs you played pretty poorly.

Reactions: gary2
We won..that's the important thing. Don't mean to quibble but giving up 39 points when you have also forced 4 turnovers means that aside from the possessions when you created the TOs you played pretty poorly.

-Every game we lost last year, all 5 of them, we lost the turnover battle. Maybe its a greater area of focus, which it should be. Keep stealing the football on defense and we rack up wins. Its not a difficult concept. Pitt beat Penn State, there was no luck or fluke play, we beat them, flat out beat them. We'll win this Saturday too if we win the turnover battle, I would almost guarantee it.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
-Every game we lost last year, all 5 of them, we lost the turnover battle. Maybe its a greater area of focus, which it should be. Keep stealing the football on defense and we rack up wins. Its not a difficult concept. Pitt beat Penn State, there was no luck or fluke play, we beat them, flat out beat them. We'll win this Saturday too if we win the turnover battle, I would almost guarantee it.
Creating TOs is completely unpredictable, no matter how well you play D. I've seen teams fumble a half dozen times and not lose a single one; in contrast you then have the fiasco we had a couple of years ago with GT at home when we played give away for two quarters. I'm all for pressuring the Opponent's O to maximize the chances of turnovers but you can't really expect a handful of TOs week in and out.

To be fair, realistic, and from i saw last and this year, Pitt Defense is still a big work in learning growing and strengthening process. Pitt can give up big plays and needs lead to still win games, and is still behind talent levels against Richer Programs with Great Coaches.

The way I see it once Coach Pat Narduzzi recruits the Defensive Backs that can produce 6 to 8 Players Defensive Backfield going in and out to stay fresh and tough to mix in with Seniors to Freshmen they just won't beat the Spread easily but soon with not only stop it but shut it down.

Pitt needs 1 more year in recruiting and then another year in growing, teaching, and learning The Narduzzi Anti-Spread Defense that will be copied CFB League Wide!

DL = DT & DE Stops The Spread Short RB, QB, & Sack Runs!
Pitt has plenrty DL & DE now and in the Pipeline to grow all of DT & DE them into a Top DL this and in future Years.

DB Stops Spread Passing!
The Defensive Backfield is half built with Whitehead, Jackson, Hamilin, Coleman, Garner, Miller, Henderson, Grabbing Wade & Ford will do what Coach Narduzzi is known for doing in developing Top DBs to NFL!

LB Stop Both Spread's Run & Pass!
This leaves grabbing some Recruits and making and growing current recruits into great Linebackers like Pugh, Tucker, Brightwell, Zeise, Stocker, Bright, Nun until the 4* & 5* Star LBs recruits start coming to Pitt!

In 1 to 2 more years, they all talk about Pitt's Think Tank Spread Creator Joe Moorhead's Book on The Spread, but the better book will be Pitt's Coach Pat Narduzzi's Spearing The Spread Shutdown!

Once you have 2 to 4 DB's Shutdown Corners with 2 to 4 Safety & Strong Safety's Spearing Players rotating in and out, the defense is half way there is stopping the Spread.

When you add in a Strong DL that completes the other Book End in containing the Spread!

Throw in Top Fast Linebackers that can cover, blitz. and tackle the RBs, Wrs, TE, and QB, and that SHUTDOWNS the Spread.

Add a Ball Control Long Game control Run Offense that throws enough for first downs and you win 10+ Games every year!

Wait & See, Just A Hunch!

Last edited:
I'm not going to defend the secondary (Maddox really had a tough game) but there were a few things going on that made it worse.

1. Pitt was stacking the box to keep the running game down. Hard to argue with that strategy.
2. Pitt was playing man on the outside and the safety's were very committed to what was going on in the backfield.
3. Field position was a big problem all day long. I don't think PSU started more than two drives inside their own 35 and one was off a turnover.

I don't think pressure on the QB is a problem. Pitt is leading the country in sacks.

If u thought their young QB is mediocre ur probably in the monitory,he's lost 3 football games in his entire football career,he has a bright future...Pitt will be better this week defensively that last,last week was real emotional and I don't think they played anywhere near their potential but give psu credit they played with a lot of heart

I know nothing of their QB. Voytik never lost a game either in hs.

Well... we were up by a lot. It not like like the nit wits ever in any stretch of the imagination controlled the game. We forced turnovers, hit them hard, registered 4 sacks

Reactions: President Stache
I know nothing of their QB. Voytik never lost a game either in hs.

Well... we were up by a lot. It not like like the nit wits ever in any stretch of the imagination controlled the game. We forced turnovers, hit them hard, registered 4 sacks

Yes he did. His HS team wasnt a top team. They were even blown out on ESPNU when he was there.

OK State is ranked 84th in total offense, while PSU is ranked 80th. PSU has more talent at the WR and RB position than they are getting credit for. Having to keep at least 4-5 sets of eyes on an explosive RB and QB who can run on any play was a serious challenge last week against PSU.

That slow LB also was picked on that play. When I watched the replay, Huard, the color man on the telecast, stated that if Caprara falls down there as opposed to running thru the pick a flag would most likely have been thrown.

Also, what I liked to see was that it was a mental breakdown on the 4th and 16 and I have seen/heard that PedSU ran the same play on the Lewis pick, and if that is true then Pitt adjusted and played it perfectly as the 2 receivers in the area were well covered and obviously Lewis comes up with a huge interception.

A side note, how perfect that Lewis, a 5th year senior who has battled through position changes, bench warming and a player who has as much history in the Pitt/PedSU series than any other current Panther and he comes up with game sealing INT. Lewis is such a well spoken and humble young man that it was just fitting that he made that play. Everyone was worried about him at the beginning of the year, but I think he is going to, and so far has, accommodate himself well this year.

Also, fitting he gets the DB player of the week for the ACC and QDog Henderson the STs player of the week for the ACC.

Reactions: doubleAA's
Also, what I liked to see was that it was a mental breakdown on the 4th and 16 and I have seen/heard that PedSU ran the same play on the Lewis pick, and if that is true then Pitt adjusted and played it perfectly as the 2 receivers in the area were well covered and obviously Lewis comes up with a huge interception.

Lewis' man ran the wrong route and ran Lewis right into the ball, intended for the TE, Gesicki who they thought could beat Webb for the ball. Still a great play by Lewis.

That slow LB also was picked on that play. When I watched the replay, Huard, the color man on the telecast, stated that if Caprara falls down there as opposed to running thru the pick a flag would most likely have been thrown.

A side note, how perfect that Lewis, a 5th year senior who has battled through position changes, bench warming and a player who has as much history in the Pitt/PedSU series than any other current Panther and he comes up with game sealing INT. Lewis is such a well spoken and humble young man that it was just fitting that he made that play. Everyone was worried about him at the beginning of the year, but I think he is going to, and so far has, accommodate himself well this year.

Also, fitting he gets the DB player of the week for the ACC and QDog Henderson the STs player of the week for the ACC.

Absolutely! Truly inspirational story and I am sure many a soph or jr that is still trying to get playing time is working that much harder knowing that their time may still be coming.

By the way, I am not trying to say Capara is not a good LB, I think he is very good, and he impresses the heck out of me and earned my respect. Just he is not a good matchup in pass coverage

Reactions: jtbuba

I don't think you can put that on the

Going to disagree with you about the secondary getting shredded. Out of those 332 yards at least 97 yards were to rb's and TE's. Not sure who had the TE responsibility but the RB would have been the lb'ers. At worst the secondary gave up 280-285 yards and possibly closer to 240 if the lb'ers had TE responsibility, and most of those yards were short passes with runs after the catch. We really didn't get burned deep by wr's that often. And on the one pass it took a near circus catch as the coverage was very tight. You just have to give credit on that play to the receiver for making a great catch (and for getting away with a slight push off that wasn't called).

Lewis' man ran the wrong route and ran Lewis right into the ball, intended for the TE, Gesicki who they thought could beat Webb for the ball. Still a great play by Lewis.

Furthermore, you ended up with both Whitehead and Lewis back there; each had a great chance of picking off that pass. Whitehead even mentioned he could have intercepted the ball, but felt that Lewis was in a little better position to make the play.

We really didn't get burned deep by wr's that often. And on the one pass it took a near circus catch as the coverage was very tight. You just have to give credit on that play to the receiver for making a great catch (and for getting away with a slight push off that wasn't called).

I worry about the ability of Webb to keep up with the receivers from OSU. He was blown by a number of times against PSU, albeit a very solid WR. Webb should never allow a man to get behind him, and you can bet the house Gundy will try to test this secondary, including Webb, over the top early in this game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT