ADVERTISEMENT

Chryst and Narduzzi's mediocrity have one thing in common: working for Pitt

PittMiamiRivalry

Redshirt
Aug 30, 2017
These discussions of who's a better coach are really pointless. Narduzzi beat Miami once; Chryst beat Miami once. Chryst lost of Navy; Narduzzi lost to Navy. Chryst lost to Youngstown State but he beat Notre Dame. Narduzzi has never beaten Notre Dame. Chryst beat a MAC team on a bowl and so did Narduzzi. Both Narduzzi and Chryst lost more bowls than they won (1). Both have embarrassed Pitt in the national press - remember Chryst's fumblepalooza vs. Georgia Tech and Narduzzi's brain fart against Penn State? Neither ended with a team ranked in the Top 25.

Chryst had the disadvantage of working for dragon Pederson who was so bad Gallagher granted the outcoming coach a special interview before firing Pederson.

The Pitt administration and BOT have demonstrated time and time again they practice the goal of enhanced mediocrity. Chryst has gone on to do great things at Wisconsin. We are still patiently waiting for Narduzzi to have a real breakout season - a national ranking at end of season, bowl win, minimum 10 victories.

Last edited:
These discussions of who's a better coach are really pointless. Narduzzi beat Miami once; Chryst beat Miami once. Chryst lost of Navy; Narduzzi lost to Navy. Chryst lost to Youngstown State but he beat Notre Dame. Narduzzi has never beaten Notre Dame. Chryst beat a MAC team on a bowl and so did Narduzzi. Both Narduzzi and Chryst lost more bowls than they won (1). Both have embarrassed Pitt in the national press - remember Chryst's fumblepalooza vs. Georgia Tech and Narduzzi's brain fart against Penn State? Neither ended with a team ranked in the Top 25.

Chryst had the disadvantage of working for dragon Pederson who was so bad Gallagher granted the outcoming coach a special interview before firing Pederson.

The Pitt administration and BOT have demonstrated time and time again they practice the goal of enhanced mediocrity. Chryst has gone on to do great things at Wisconsin. We are still patiently waiting for Narduzzi to have a real breakout season - a national ranking at end of season, bowl win, minimum 10 victories.

Guess you forgot, one has a winning record the other didn't. The one with a winning record played a much more difficult schedule than the one without. But go on.

Last edited:
many things can be true.

1. chryst was did some really crap things while here. he did a few good. hence, mediocre. i really think his heart wasn't in it and half-assed a lot of things.
2. chryst has done very well at UW. he walked into a good situation with a lot of structure. it's the perfect fit for him and he's obviously much more motivated and has greater financial resources.
3. narduzzi has done some crap things. has done some good things. he's been a slight uptick from chryst but has a lot to prove. can he do it? i'm not sure yet. but i also know he's not going anywhere in the near future.

Last edited:

Thanks for stopping by! :rolleyes:

Chryst had two awful losses: YSU and Akron. The Georgia Tech debacle is somewhat forgotten but was flat-out embarrassing. Chryst lost to a bad Navy team while Narduzzi lost on the Middies home field when it had an incredible QB, maybe its best in program history.

Narduzzi is a much better fit for Pitt than Paul was but good for Chryst. He is back home at a school with money, very smart leadership and a large fanbase. Pat has none of that at Pitt but wants to be here.

I think Chryst had an eye on Wisky & one foot out the door as soon as he took our job.

Reactions: pittdan77
Chryst had two awful losses: YSU and Akron. The Georgia Tech debacle is somewhat forgotten but was flat-out embarrassing. Chryst lost to a bad Navy team while Narduzzi lost on the Middies home field when it had an incredible QB, maybe its best in program history.

Narduzzi is a much better fit for Pitt than Paul was but good for Chryst. He is back home at a school with money, very smart leadership and a large fanbase. Pat has none of that at Pitt but wants to be here.
Roger Staubach says hello from Annapolis

Why are we worried about Chryst? He didn't hurt PITT by leaving the way Graham did. He went to his alma mater and is doing much better than he would had he stayed here. Narduzzi had a learning curve and I think he has gotten better coaches than when he first started. This has resulted in better players. I root for PITT and don't care about ex coaches, AD's, WPIAL players who go elsewhere or transfers.

Why are we worried about Chryst? He didn't hurt PITT by leaving the way Graham did. He went to his alma mater and is doing much better than he would had he stayed here. Narduzzi had a learning curve and I think he has gotten better coaches than when he first started. This has resulted in better players. I root for PITT and don't care about ex coaches, AD's, WPIAL players who go elsewhere or transfers.

Only the nitter who started the thread cares about Chryst. Personally, I think he was coaching to keep his job if he stuck around another season.

I think with the current AD and ACC Pitt is getting there. Imho schools like Wisconsin and Iowa are only big time because of Big Ten money otherwise they are Kansas.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther

In fairness, Narduzzi lost to a team who only won two conference games in two years... Both against Pitt. And to a team with a backup qb and a lame duck coach who tried to get its bowl game canceled.

I think Chryst and Narduzzi are both pretty average coaches who perform to the standards around them. I don't believe one is clearly better than the other. History will say Chryst is a better coach, but he's just in a better situation. However, that also doesn't make Narduzzi the better coach simply because he had a better record at Pitt. He walked into a much better situation and had his best years with someone else's players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT