ADVERTISEMENT

City of Pgh conducting feasibility study for pro basketball team

There is zero doubt that if Pgh landed an NBA team, got 2 super stars, and won 60 games, we would all be wearing black n gold and going nuts. If we kept winning, it would become part of the culture. That’s just Pittsburgh.

Realistically though, there would be growing pains. And things such as market size and demographics play into how it catches on.

Obviously, old white people like basketball too. But when you need more of the fringe sports fans, you are going to have to get more rural fans that didn’t necessarily grow up with basketball, and are skeptical of the league already. We don’t have a lot of middle class diversity where you have a large chunk of people where basketball is already part of their life.

Like I said…Winning and putting Pgh in the sports spotlight will cure A LOT. But not sure how fast you get there.
The most recent expansion team, Charlotte, has been in the league for 20 seasons, and has finished over .500 4 times. 48 is the most number of games they have won. If it takes a 60-game winning team to be successful in Pittsburgh, the chances of that happening are very slim. And the expansion fee is expected to be 2.5 billion. Who is going to put up that kind of money for a team that is likely to be bad for years?

Tell that to my former colleague who grew up there, and was the happiest man on earth when he finally got transferred to another office in Dallas. It was after a ransom kidnapping of his wife and children was thwarted by police on their way to the local mall. Apparently it happens a lot.

This was a dude who made decent money and lived in a good area. I remember him telling me "it's still Mexico no matter where you live."

So, I'd say your assessment is pretty ridiculous.

I was going by murder rates. Much greater chance being shot in an American city.

Reactions: singregardless
Mexico City is one of the safest cities in North America. They make sure there is no drug crime there. Its never going to get an NBA team though. They'd go to Europe first

Is it that there is no drug crime there, or is it that the drug crime there doesn't get reported in the official numbers?

Because I can't imagine how dumb you'd have to be to believe that first one.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Is it that there is no drug crime there, or is it that the drug crime there doesn't get reported in the official numbers?

Is it that hard to believe that the Mexican government devotes a ton of resources to keep drugs and crime out of its capital? Maybe that's why its a free for all crime spree everywhere else in that country? Mexico City is a very safe North American city.

Is it that hard to believe that the Mexican government devotes a ton of resources to keep drugs and crime out of its capital? Maybe that's why its a free for all crime spree everywhere else in that country? Mexico City is a very safe North American city.

We've discussed this before, and the fact that you believe that shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Mexico City is larger than New York, but is also much poorer than New York, and is in the middle of a country where the cartels run large portions of it, and yet you think that somehow they have solved the problem of crime.

I guess that's why people from all over the world converge on Mexico City to see how to most effectively police their populations, right?

Oh, wait, hold on a second, no one ever in the history of the world has gone to Mexico City because they have figured out how to solve the problem of crime.

The most recent expansion team, Charlotte, has been in the league for 20 seasons, and has finished over .500 4 times. 48 is the most number of games they have won. If it takes a 60-game winning team to be successful in Pittsburgh, the chances of that happening are very slim. And the expansion fee is expected to be 2.5 billion. Who is going to put up that kind of money for a team that is likely to be bad for years?

You’re right. My dreams of winning were the far less likely scenario. At least in basketball you don’t need as many gamechanging players.

Charlotte is an area where the demographics work for it. Tons of transplants. Which means younger. Which means more income diversity. Not sure how well they do from a support standpoint, but they have those things working for it that would help support the NBA.

This type of thing becomes a factor when scaled over 2 million people.

p4503_v_h9_aa.jpg

He can't help that he has diarrhea of the mouth. I nominate him to move there and let us know how it is!

Reactions: Parkview57
He can't help that he has diarrhea of the mouth. I nominate him to move there and let us know how it is!

Just ask the brother of Patrick Narduzzi how it is. He lives there. Mexico City is similar to any US city. While it does have your typical big city crime, it doesnt have cartel crime. That's the other areas of Mexico.

Just ask the brother of Patrick Narduzzi how it is. He lives there. Mexico City is similar to any US city. While it does have your typical big city crime, it doesnt have cartel crime. That's the other areas of Mexico.
It just has rampant ransom kidnapping and thousands of people simply disappear, but aren't considered murdered. You should move there.

Morgantown will get an NBA team before Mexico City.

It just has rampant ransom kidnapping and thousands of people simply disappear, but aren't considered murdered. You should move there.

The NBA has a G League team in Mexico City to test the waters. Players would live in the nicest areas of Mexico City like Polanco where crime is very low.

Zero chance. Aren’t we already the smallest 3 pro team market in the US?

The fact that anyone is pursuing time and energy towards this is a complete waste of time.

Although if it happened, the Cavs wouldn’t be blacked out on NBA league pass, even though there’s no local carrier.
Yep...I was going to say less than zero.

There is 0 chance that Morgantown gets a team before Wheeling. They are making major renovations to the Wheeling Civic Center and the raccoon infestation is well under control. The TBT was a great trial run and the NBA is seriously interested.

There is 0 chance that Morgantown gets a team before Wheeling. They are making major renovations to the Wheeling Civic Center and the raccoon infestation is well under control. The TBT was a great trial run and the NBA is seriously interested.
Chik Fil A is interested in naming rights.

Wheeling Nailers hockey! I think they have arena football too.

And even if you did find someone with a lot of money who didn't care about losing it, why would the NBA or WNBA choose Pittsburgh when there are many other candidates in much more lucrative markets?
hahahahaha...oh, geez, I'm sorry but that was the first time I have seen the words WNBA and lucrative in the same sentence and could not contain myself...my bad..

hahahahaha...oh, geez, I'm sorry but that was the first time I have seen the words WNBA and lucrative in the same sentence and could not contain myself...my bad..
Well, everyone know that the WNBA stands for Welfare-NBA, If the NBA didn't prop it up for Woke/PC purposes it would have gone bankrupt years ago.

The markets themselves are what I’m referring to. Pittsburgh wouldn’t stand a chance for NBA expansion against Seattle, Montreal, Mexico City, etc. nor would they fare well for WNBA expansion against Philadelphia, Tampa, or Nashville.

Well, everyone know that the WNBA stands for Welfare-NBA, If the NBA didn't prop it up for Woke/PC purposes it would have gone bankrupt years ago.
I went to a couple of Warriors games this year and the crowd was probably 45% or more women - including a Chinese speaking lady beside me in a single. She told me she goes to every game. Maybe those expenses you call woke are good marketing investments. Seems to me some of these guys bought teams for about .5 billion are selling them for 3 billion. Female fans are part of the valuation in my opinion.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I am disappointed it took me this long to re-propose my NBA 2 idea for promotion/relegation

NBA: 34 teams. 30 original teams can never be relegated. 4 additional teams. Top team of those 4 stays up. Bottom team goes down. 2 plays 3 to stay up.

NBA 2: 20 teams (2 go up and 2 go down to NBA 3

NBA 2 teams:

Seattle
Las Vegas
Mexico City
Montreal
Vancouver
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Tampa
Birmingham
Omaha