ADVERTISEMENT

Claypool Gone

Oct 25, 2021
To the Bears for a second. He's frustrating as hell, but I'm not sure if this does Kenny any favors.

I think we're going to come out after the bye and really try to establish the run. However, I don't think it's going to work very well.

Last edited:
I like Claypool more than Johnson, but this a good thing long term. The Steelers (Tomlin) are finally admitting they are rebuilding…

Reactions: pbrad and Farnox
I like Claypool more than Johnson, but this a good thing long term. The Steelers (Tomlin) are finally admitting they are rebuilding…

Only thing that makes me a bit on the fence about it is that when you trade talented young guys you're kind of just drafting guys hoping they will be... well, a talented young guy. I wouldn't say we have an embarrassment of riches at the position, unless Austin turns out to be really good, I guess.

I still don't hate it, because Claypool has made me want to rip my skin off so many times. I just wish we'd move some older guys first. But I think this makes even less sense from the Bears' standpoint.

They basically get a do-over pick for Claypool in the same round. I think they hoped/expected he could develop into a DK Metcalf type player but he’s just so inconsistent.

Go O-Line in the 1st and with one of the 2nd’s and CB or interior DLine with the other 2nd and start to rebuild the trenches. It’s been a noticeable poor spot for this team for the last 4-5 years.

Only thing that makes me a bit on the fence about it is that when you trade talented young guys you're kind of just drafting guys hoping they will be... well, a talented young guy. I wouldn't say we have an embarrassment of riches at the position, unless Austin turns out to be really good, I guess.

I still don't hate it, because Claypool has made me want to rip my skin off so many times. I just wish we'd move some older guys first. But I think this makes even less sense from the Bears' standpoint.
Yup… He has talent, but it hasn’t always equaled results… They will probably invest the pick for an OLineman. If they can get a 3rd round pick for Heyward, I would make the move…

To the Bears for a second. He's frustrating as hell, but I'm not sure if this does Kenny any favors.

I think we're going to come out after the bye and really try to establish the run. However, I don't think it's going to work very well.
Their 1st and 2nd Round Draft picks have been a disaster in recent years. Najee, Claypool, Freiermuth, etc, all decent players but could have gotten similar talent in later rounds or free agency. Needed linemen.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

No it didn’t do Pickett any favors. If this is addition by subtraction, I am more seeing it. Maybe he had become a distraction in the locker room, but boy does that make it tougher for Kenny to move the ball down the field.

This the Steelers have really made some crippling decisions over the past several years in terms of coaches they’ve hired and players theydrafted.

Now they the offense has become so bad that talented WRs want off the team. No question Claypool hasn’t looked as good as he did a few years go, but that is in part due to poor play calling and some of the below average talent surrounding him on offense.

Tomlin can keep sticking to the narrative that he doesn’t want players “who don’t want to be here,” but the all important question that need to be answered is “why so many players don’t want to be there?” - The answer is simple- it’s the coaching and drafting decisions being made over the past two years.

They were playing Claypool mostly in the slot, which is the easiest WR position to find production from. I'd rather have the 45th pick than a slot WR any day of the week. Hell, they could bring JuJu back next year for $4 million.

Tough job gets tougher for Kenny, though.

Their 1st and 2nd Round Draft picks have been a disaster in recent years. Najee, Claypool, Freiermuth, etc, all decent players but could have gotten similar talent in later rounds or free agency. Needed linemen.

I don't disagree. Although at least receiver is a big money position. The other two are not.

Need to move Larry O and/or Edmunds next. Should be able to fetch a 5th or 6th for those guys.

Out of Rudolph and Trubisky, I would definitely trade Trubisky just because I assume he'd bring a higher value in return. It would be very disappointing if both of those guys are on the roster tomorrow. At least get a 4th or 5th for Mitch.

They were playing Claypool mostly in the slot, which is the easiest WR position to find production from. I'd rather have the 45th pick than a slot WR any day of the week. Hell, they could bring JuJu back next year for $4 million.

Tough job gets tougher for Kenny, though.

In a vacuum, I like it a lot more. When you're trying to develop a young first round QB, however, I like it a little less. Still don't hate it.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I don't disagree. Although at least receiver is a big money position. The other two are not.

Need to move Larry O and/or Edmunds next. Should be able to fetch a 5th or 6th for those guys.

Out of Rudolph and Trubisky, I would definitely trade Trubisky just because I assume he'd bring a higher value in return. It would be very disappointing if both of those guys are on the roster tomorrow. At least get a 4th or 5th for Mitch.

Let Edmonds leave in FA. You get him for the rest of the year and you'll get a comp pick for him anyway.

This is a really good trade. Pickett still has Johnson, Pickens and Freirmeueth to work with. That's a lot better than most rookie QBs start with. The O line and coaching, well that's a different story. I was expecting to get a 4th for this guy- an early 2nd is a trade you make every single time.

I know that’s blasphemy, but it wouldn’t break my heart IF the Steelers get a big package for him.
it would be very smart considering we got his best years. This year is pretty much a wash and he'll be 29 next season...

again, we should do it in a heartbeat if the return is there. yinzers would have a heart attack but who cares..

2 first rounders and a 2nd sounds about right. Maybe a young player on the Oline as well.
oh my lord, if we were offered that and said no, i'll drive tomlin to western psych myself and have him committed..

Obviously it will never happen. no clue what we are holding on to Heyward for though. i feel like we could get a 2nd rd pick for him.

Reactions: joeydavid
Need to dump TJ Watt now.
I disagree, they should keep the reigning Defensive Player of the Year. In my opinion, the player they should look to trade (perhaps to Buffalo?) is Najee Harris. I liked the pick at the time, even though it went against my conventional wisdom of not drafting a RB in the first round, but Warren is emerging as a solid running back and you can likely get multiple picks in return for Harris.

Regardless, I think the moves they’ve made. They could end up having three Top 40 picks and they acquired a solid CB in William Jackson III from Washington, who they wanted to draft back in 2016.

I disagree, they should keep the reigning Defensive Player of the Year. In my opinion, the player they should look to trade (perhaps to Buffalo?) is Najee Harris. I liked the pick at the time, even though it went against my conventional wisdom of not drafting a RB in the first round, but Warren is emerging as a solid running back and you can likely get multiple picks in return for Harris.

Regardless, I think the moves they’ve made. They could end up having three Top 40 picks and they acquired a solid CB in William Jackson III from Washington, who they wanted to draft back in 2016.
the problem with the strategy of trading our bad players for high draft picks is that it takes two sides to make a trade. i'd love to give them our bad players for high draft picks, just dont see any GMs on the other side wanting to do this..

Good player but he's a china doll. They will never get the return on investment going forward and he needs to be on a team that's built to win now.

Reactions: Chaos

Pickens is in the same mold, but faster and better. The Steelers got a higher draft pick from the Bears then they spent when the drafted Claypool. It looks like the Steelers are going to have 3 picks in the first 50 next Draft.....

I can't see us ever getting rid of Watt. We're not that kind of organization. In fact, I'm not even sure this Claypool trade shows a sign of self-awareness (that we suck and need to commit to the future) as much as it might just be a case of us wanting someone who isn't afraid to voice just how badly we suck off the team.

The only multiple picks you're getting for Najee are 5th and 6th round picks.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

I disagree. What good is having the “reigning DPOY” when the rest of the team sucks? If you want the team to get better fast, then you have to trade your best assets for the right price. The Cowboys in the early 90’s traded anyone of value (Hershel Walker) and they’re in the Super Bowl 3 yrs later…. Gotta give up something to get something…

This is what the Steelers need to do. Trade a guy who is inconsistent and runs his mouth for an upper second round pick. They are likely to get a top 5 pick in this draft, which I would also deal for more picks to a team that wants a QB. Also need to trade a guy like Heyward who can help a contender now but won't be there for the Steelers after the rebuild.

Also, isn't Harris playing with an injured foot? They should rest him the rest if the year. He clearly isn't 100%.

Let Kenny develope and learn the rest if this year.

I can't see us ever getting rid of Watt. We're not that kind of organization. In fact, I'm not even sure this Claypool trade shows a sign of self-awareness (that we suck and need to commit to the future) as much as it might just be a case of us wanting someone who isn't afraid to voice just how badly we suck off the team.
True, but they need to become that kind of an organization or they’re in for a LONG rebuild they way they draft…..

True, but they need to become that kind of an organization or they’re in for a LONG rebuild they way they draft…..

I wouldn't hate dealing him. I mean, you need to make a splash move from time to time. It's hard to rebuild in a sport that has so many positions.

Feels like we almost have to draft another receiver next season, with Johnson's contract soon expiring, which is almost hilarious.

Would we, though? We have some cap space now, and that stuff gets adjusted by who you bring in. Not sure how it would play out.

I'm not sure that I see them bringing in a bunch of big money FAs. 1) they tend not to do that; and 2) now they have 3 top 50 picks so there's less of a need. Their rookies will also be the most expensive they've been in years given the high DC and volume of picks.

Sadly, even when they have drafted lineman over the past 15 years or so, they've been trash. I have no faith in things getting better until massive changes are made to the staff.

Reactions: Millerton24
I disagree. What good is having the “reigning DPOY” when the rest of the team sucks? If you want the team to get better fast, then you have to trade your best assets for the right price. The Cowboys in the early 90’s traded anyone of value (Hershel Walker) and they’re in the Super Bowl 3 yrs later…. Gotta give up something to get something…
I respect that perspective, it’s definitely valid and has precedence as you mentioned. However, the way I see it is that we don’t even need to trade our best asset (Watt) to get better fast; we just need him back on the field.

When you compare the splits between him playing versus him not, it’s obvious how big of an impact he makes. I see no reason why we can’t build a championship caliber team while retaining him. There’s already a good chance we have three picks in the top 40 as it is. The only way I’d give him up is if we get a Walker-sequel return AND they’re confident enough in Highsmith that they feel his 2022 performance isn’t just a one-time thing.

Last edited:
Sadly, even when they have drafted lineman over the past 15 years or so, they've been trash. I have no faith in things getting better until massive changes are made to the staff.
Well in those 15 years, when they spent draft capital in the first or second round on lineman they have landed the following:
2010: 1st Pouncey: Very Good
2011: 2nd Gilbert: Quality Pro
2012: 1st DeCastro: very Good
2012: 2nd Adams: Below Average

That is it... That is the list. The real gripe is they haven't gone after enough high end OL talent in the drafts.

Good player but he's a china doll. They will never get the return on investment going forward and he needs to be on a team that's built to win now.
That’s why I thought Buffalo could’ve been an option. Them being linked to McCaffery gave me the sense that they were desperate for a win-now type move at RB. I don’t think there would’ve been much else of a market for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT