ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching salaries: Nardog 42

You make over 3 mill a year, you can’t not even make a bowl game in year 4, period. It’s not one of the top salaries, but it’s more than Brian Kelly makes according to this data and he has made a BCS championship game. You simply can not pay your football coach over $3 million dollars to be a bottom feeder.

Brian Kelly's real salary is sort of a mystery. It is possible a literal majority of his salary is now from Under Armor, which would not be on a Notre Dame 990 or whatever (like a 3 million/2 million split.) They are dropping insane amounts of money to move in on Nike and Adidas schools.

Reactions: JSSTartan
As for Pitt, #42 salary is reasonable. Our revenue is below that in national rankings; we also subsidize our athletic department still. Our results have been trending below #42 in the country in play though, so he has to produce more (and he probably won't.)

I think if I’ve gotten equal value in my 401k contributions I’d be working until the last beat of my heart.

Like Marshall said above that’s about the range I’d expect Pitt to be in as far as what they pay. Maybe higher if we got lucky enough to have a winner who wants to stay here. But he’s grossly overpaid compared against results. Particularly because he’s done better with inherited players and the appearance the program is regressing - maybe in a big way.

According to the "Notes" section, that was his salary based on tax returns from the 2016 calendar year. He has gotten a new contract since then and likely makes more. Pitt does not release salary info, so every time one of these lists comes out you have to factor in that the data is usually pretty old and also likely not complete.

Brian Kelly's salary isn't the whole picture. Probably the same with some of these other coaches.

How about Illinios and Smith. 7-21 and he is getting paid $5M.

I think Pitt is more than fair compared to the revenues they make. They are around the bottom in donations, etc vs the other P5 schools, but are in the mid 3rd quartile in pay.

According to the "Notes" section, that was his salary based on tax returns from the 2016 calendar year. He has gotten a new contract since then and likely makes more. Pitt does not release salary info, so every time one of these lists comes out you have to factor in that the data is usually pretty old and also likely not complete.

This too. The Private schools are behind because they don't publically share info. He got his extension so he is probably making more. The private schools are typically a year behind.

If you want top tier coaches, you must pay top tier salaries. If Pitt is perceived as cheap, qualified coaches won't apply. That said, Pitt should not be expected to pay top dollar for an untested assistant. It's a fine line to walk. They should make it clear they are prepared to open the vault for the right guy.

We're over paying for services provided!

Did Lyke put Narduzzi on a performance based comp contract.?

??

If you want top tier coaches, you must pay top tier salaries. If Pitt is perceived as cheap, qualified coaches won't apply. That said, Pitt should not be expected to pay top dollar for an untested assistant. It's a fine line to walk. They should make it clear they are prepared to open the vault for the right guy.

Those right guys are few and far between and the schools like Bama and tOSU that have a much bigger vault will always trump Pitt vault. I think Pitt paying a competitive salary certainly is not showing they are "cheap".

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Those right guys are few and far between and the schools like Bama and tOSU that have a much bigger vault will always trump Pitt vault. I think Pitt paying a competitive salary certainly is not showing they are "cheap".

Maybe the answer is a heavy incentive package. You win 9, 10 games, win a bowl, finish in the top 10 or 20, you get a lot more money. Put academic incentives in too.

Reactions: Mikefln
Maybe the answer is a heavy incentive package. You win 9, 10 games, win a bowl, finish in the top 10 or 20, you get a lot more money. Put academic incentives in too.

Why would they come here when they can get that as part of their base salary at bama or tosu.

What you are saying is probably in there for guys like narduzzi

Why would they come here when they can get that as part of their base salary at bama or tosu.

What you are saying is probably in there for guys like narduzzi
True, at a high profile school, but I have seen much smaller incentives for coaches at lower level top 25 programs. Maybe I am stating this badly, but Pitt should maximize all incentives so as to attract better coaches with less financial risk.

Reactions: Wildman4Pitt
For comparison, #41 is Paul Johnson of GT. Been there for 10 years and has previous head coaching experience. Not a great coach but average and has had some decent seasons. Duzz is way overpaid.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Argument for "overpaid" goes both ways and its about ROI, but looking at all the investment associated, not merely the salaries. Coaches for the really successful programs likely have huge ROI relative to their salaries alone. But how much supporting investment is needed to make that program such a success? How much is Alabama paying besides for Saban?

Also who is actually footing the bills? As another noted, the athletic gear sponsor is likely laying out extra big money for Kelly at ND that isn't being seen here, so an accurate ROI truly can't be considered without such knowledge.

And a crappy program is typically more desperate to pay heartily for a head coach who may appear to be delivering crappy results, but in reality the school is not paying for all the highly critical supporting amenities needed for success. With the dreaded cycle is that the crappier the program, the less likely a sponsor or booster is willing to pay any of the bills, plus revenue is less too. So the school is paying.

Brian Kelly's salary isn't the whole picture. Probably the same with some of these other coaches.

How about Illinios and Smith. 7-21 and he is getting paid $5M.

I think Pitt is more than fair compared to the revenues they make. They are around the bottom in donations, etc vs the other P5 schools, but are in the mid 3rd quartile in pay.

Seventh-year Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly is listed 65th among coaches ranked, at a salary of $1.625 million. That number is far from what Kelly actually makes — especially considering how he trails several young coaches at Group of Five schools like Bob Diaco at Connecticut ($1.7M), Scott Frost at Central Florida ($1.704M) and Mike Norvell at Memphis ($1.8M).

The numbers in Kelly’s contract are manipulated, because as a private school, Notre Dame does not want a paper trail that shows a football coach among the highest paid employees.

As in past years, Notre Dame's federal tax return notes that Kelly is permitted to receive compensation from sources outside the university "with prior written approval from the university" and that any such income is not reported on the return.

When Charlie Weis was fired after the 2009 season, he told the South Bend Tribune that a significant amount of his compensation came through adidas, and another large portion from Notre Dame Sports Properties, for his radio and TV shows. It is very likely that Kelly’s deal with Notre Dame includes similar clauses.

Exactly. We had this same discussion last year when ratking started a thread saying it was "unacceptable" that his (2015 compared to 2017) salary was 11th in the ACC. HCPN is probably at least the 5th/6th highest pad coach in the ACC and around 35 in the country. When you calculate inflation, outside income (which is included for almost all the public school HCs), and his most recent extension, HCPN is probably close to $4M and top 25-30 money. Talk about overpaid.

True, at a high profile school, but I have seen much smaller incentives for coaches at lower level top 25 programs. Maybe I am stating this badly, but Pitt should maximize all incentives so as to attract better coaches with less financial risk.

Why would a coach want to risk money in the bank with a high incentive based contract versus a high base salary? It makes sense to try to put in incentives...but the best guys are going to want the high base [and relatively high buy-out]. Incentives are usually looked upon as icing or gravy. Hail to Pitt!

Why would a coach want to risk money in the bank with a high incentive based contract versus a high base salary? It makes sense to try to put in incentives...but the best guys are going to want the high base [and relatively high buy-out]. Incentives are usually looked upon as icing or gravy. Hail to Pitt!

What coach (or what agent??) would sign a deal that is so incentive heavy and base-light that they are risking a majority of their income in a program that has a hard time winning? Only a desperate one.

We need to find the right coach and I don't think there is a gimmick or short cut that gets us there.

Because he has confidence in his ability and could make more money with high incentives. Pitt should become the king of incentives. A reasonable base and double or triple the current standard for incentives. Ah heck. I really don't know if it would work, but the current model isn't working either.

Because he has confidence in his ability and could make more money with high incentives. Pitt should become the king of incentives. A reasonable base and double or triple the current standard for incentives. Ah heck. I really don't know if it would work, but the current model isn't working either.
The only coach that might go for that is someone in their late 20’s or early 30’s who has no to little experience, or a has been or never was that is out of a job.

Reactions: PITTLAW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT