ADVERTISEMENT

Cold Hard Capel Facts.. with some opinion..

Wanstash21

All American
Gold Member
Feb 28, 2021
Let's take a look at Capel (18-present) from when he arrived until this season.

2018 Recruiting Class: 32nd Nationally - 5th ACC
Trey McGowens - 4 star (95th)
Au'Diese Toney - 4 star (117th)
Xavier Johnson - 3 star (232nd)
Sidy N'Dir - Grad Transfer

Departures:
Parker Stewart (UT Martin)
Jonathan Milligan (Graduated)
Ryan Luther (Arizona)
Marcus Carr (Minnesota)
Monty Boykins (Graduated)
Zach Smith (Graduated)

**Capel gave these guys the chance to leave if they wanted to. He was transparent and wouldn't care if they left since they came to Pitt under a different coaching staff.

18-19: 14-19 (3-15)
-Pitt started 12-5 (2-2) with home wins over L'ville and #11 FSU. Sandwiched between these wins was a tough loss on the road vs. #15 NC St (80-86).
-Pitt lost its next 13 games and squeaked out a home win v. ND to finish the year. They lost 4 games by a combined 11 pts through this stretch.
-Pitt beat BC in the first round of the ACCT and then lost to Cuse to end their season.

Conclusion
-A successful first year for Capel. Brutal ending, but all things considered it was a definite success. We had just experienced the worst Pitt team in history.
-This team was a breath of fresh air. Trey and X looked primed to dominate the ACC for years to come.
-Roster still had some glaring holes, but with JC recruiting it didn't seem to be a cause for concern.

2019 Recruiting Class: 49th Nationally - 11th ACC
Gerald Drumgoole - 4 star (117th)
Karim Coulibaly - 3 star (237th)
Justin Champagnie - 3 star (248th)
Eric Hamilton - Grad Transfer
Ryan Murphy - Junior Transfer
Ithiel Horton - Sophomore Transfer (not eligible for 19-20)

**still didn't get a true center or more skilled size, but tried. OV's included Khadim Sy (Ole Miss), Olvier Nkamhoua (Tenn), Tyrese Samuel (S. Hall), Qudus Wahab (G'Town), Akok Akok (Uconn), John Bol Ajak (Cuse) and Anthony Walker (Miami). He was close with more than one.

Departures:
Shamiel Stevenson (Nevada - left mid season)
Jared Wilson-Frame (Graduated)
Sidy N'Dir (Graduated)
Joe Mascaro (Graduated)
Kham Davis (Weber State)
Peace Ilegomah (Evansville - left mid season)

**None of the transfers were ever going to be ACC level players. Addition by subtraction.
**Still worth noting 2 left mid season. A future common theme.

19-20: 16-17 (6-14)
-Beat FSU opening night at home. Followed up with a loss to Nicholls at home.
-Won Fort Myers Tip-Off with wins over K. State and Northwestern.
-Beat unranked UNC twice.
-Tough out in the ACC. Lost some close games.
-Beat Wake to open the ACCT. Lost to NC State to end the season.

Conclusion
-Another successful year for Capel. Doubled (albeit 3 to 6) the ACC win total from the year before and won a non-conference tournament early in the season.
-Champagnie is on the scene and is a clear force. Pitt fans drooling over a future of X, Trey, Toney and Justin.
-Certainly a down year for the ACC. Regardless, energy and excitement was fluent throughout the fan base and around the program.

2020 Recruiting Class: 30th Nationally - 7th ACC
John Hugley - 4 star (99th)
William Jeffress - 4 star (128th)
Femi Odukale - 3 star (183rd)
Max Amadasun - 3 star (252nd)
Noah Collier - 3 star (316th)
Nike Sibande - Senior Transfer

**Notable visits included RJ Davis (UNC) and Earl Timberlake (Miami). Again, Capel close, but still came up short with two kids who are program changers.

Departures:
Eric Hamilton (Graduated)
Trey McGowens (Nebraska)
KJ Marshall (Garden City CC)
Kene Chukwuka (Graduated)
Anthony Starzynski (Graduated)
Samson George (C. Arkansas)
Ryan Murphy (Tulane)

**Trey leaving hurt this program. We were close to turning the corner, and while Trey wasn't a superstar, he was a 2 year starter coming into his 3rd year with big expectations.

20-21: 10-12 (6-10)
-Covid year, so the schedule was condensed.
-Mind boggling lost to St. Francis to start the year. 2 years in a row with a bad loss non-conference.
-Won next 5 games including a win @Miami. 1-0 to start conference play for the 2nd straight season.
-Including Miami win, Pitt went 4-1 to open the ACC with wins over @Miami, @Cuse, Cuse and Duke.
-Another second half of the season implosion. Lost 9 of the last 11.
-Toney battling an injury at this point. He and X call it quits during the losing streak.
-Lost only game in ACCT to Miami to end the season.

Conclusion:
-What looked like a promising start (8-2, 4-1) was followed up by another mid-season face plant (2-9).
-X and Toney quit on this team. Two years in a row we have mid season quitters.
-Two years in a row with an inexcusable Non-Conference loss.
-JC decision to the draft is looming, and all of the optimism that was built up 6 months prior is completely gone.

2021 Recruiting Class: 105th Nationally - 15th (last) ACC
-Nate Santos - 3 Star (230th)
-Chris Payton - Junior Transfer
-Dan Oladapo - Senior Transfer
-Jamarius Burton - Senior Transfer
-Mo Gueye - Grad Transfer

**What's there to say? This is a Pittiful class. Last in the ACC and 105th Nationally after brining in 3 top 50 classes.
**No notable visits with Covid, but again, Capel close but not quite with another program changer in Efton Reid.

Departures:
-Xavier Johnson (Indiana)
-Au'Diese Toney (Arkansas)
-Gerald Drumgoole (Albany)
-Justin Champagnie (NBA)
-Karim Coulibaly (St. Bonaventure)
-Terrell Brown (San Diego)

**After the finish of the 19-20 season, Pitt fans were stoked about a future of X, Trey, Toney and Champagnie. One year later, ALL FOUR PLAYERS ARE GONE.

21-22: 2-2
-Another awful loss to start the year. 3 years in a row with another horrible loss.
-Won last 2 games.

Conclusion:
-TBD

First 2.5 Years
-Coach Capel got off to a very good start at Pitt. The record didn't show, but there was improvement and excitement.
-The recruiting was solid. FIVE 4-star players in 3 classes. Not counting the best player in Capel's tenure (3-star Champagnie).
-While the recruiting was solid, there was still a lot left to be had. Too many holes on the roster and too many big misses on the trail.
-All in all, it was a good first 2.5 years for Capel. I don't think that's much of an argument. I was still hoping for a top 50 kid to commit and change the program overnight, but that wasn't a concern because it seemed inevitable it would happen soon.

Current State
-To put it nicely, the last year has been a trainwreck.
-John Arrested
-X Transfers
-Toney Transfers
-AKC Transfers
-Justin NBA
-Nike Out for Year
-Burton Surgery
-Horton Arrested (TBD)

-That's two too many guys arrested. Too many key players transferring. Too many locker room issues.
-3 years in a row with a horrible non-conference loss.

Final Thoughts
What're you doing for me now? Jeff Capel isn't doing much right now. He's grinding out games vs. bottom feeder CBB teams. He's won his last two, but all signs point to a miserable conference season and a huge step back for the program. You can see the tangible progress he made his first 2.5 years, but that all seems shot and buried at this point. Ever since Mintz decided Pitt WASN'T it, I've been out on Capel. I was a huge supporter and could see the progress he was making. It's easy to get emotional and make rash decisions/conclusions, but looking at the big picture, it was clear we were close the first 2.5 years and were even closer to landing a program changer to get us over the hump. The last year basically erased everything he did the first 2.5 years.

If Mintz was signed, I'd have a totally different attitude towards the program and Capel. Forget the transfers. Forget Justin leaving. Mintz + our current core is a big building block. A path to winning again. Our current core plays hard. They play together. They are young and still learning. They show spurts of being good. I really think they will be good, but I don't know if Capel can (1) keep them here or (2) add quality pieces to the mix to make them better. Deep down I know he can turn this program around. Look above. Look at the progress I outlined. The facts. He was EXTREMELY close to turning this program around. He knows it. I think most of us know it. However, close doesn't count. We're starring down the barrel of another winless conference season. A decision is looming for HL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News