ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Matthews on win over Mendez, Ohio State

I also want to gauge reactions from the readers. I'm pretty much limited to one article per week, so what is most valuable to you?

Would you rather see a preview story? (Special shoutout to WrestlingFan22 who has been doing a great job breaking down matchups. I know how time-consuming that can be, and frankly, if he's doing it, I'm more than happy to stay away from that angle)

A post-match story, similar to Ohio State? I feel like those are great if they get posted right away, but I get frustrated when don't get to share them until 24 hours later. Are folks still reading them at that point? (Probably yes to a win over Ohio State, but what about after a disappointing result? Is insight from Gavin and maybe a wrestler worth it since you probably aren't getting that many other places?)

A weekly kind of catch-all? That's what I've leaned into most of the time, as it can recap one match and look ahead to another, but I think it might lost in the shuffle if posted midweek.

I know that many of you would like to see recruiting news, but frankly, that's probably not realistic for me at this point. I work a full-time job plus write two to three stories per week for other publications, so tracking down recruits is pretty difficult. Plus, while I have great connections within the program, they don't always want to publicize who's being recruited, so it can be tough to get info on that side.

But I would love to know what's most useful to you, the dedicated Pitt wrestling fans.

I like the post match story. Insight from Gavin and a wrestler is a bonus. Always appreciate the articles.

what other publications do you write for?

Reactions: Eric_Knopsnyder
I like the post match story. Insight from Gavin and a wrestler is a bonus. Always appreciate the articles.

what other publications do you write for?
Thanks for the feedback, TJ.

I spent most of my career as a journalist at The Tribune-Democrat in Johnstown, and I still cover college stuff for them. Most weeks that's a Pitt-Johnstown preview and meet story if they're home and I can make it. I also try to write a weekly Knops Knotes column for that paper that looks at local products wrestling in college as well as Pitt and Penn State updates. I just finished a story on Sammy Sasso coming to that area for a clinic on Sunday.

I write for the Latrobe Bulletin now and then - stories on Micky last year, plus a Gabe Willochell update this year and Luke Willochell's commitment.

Plus, I spent about seven years with PA Power Wrestling and will kick something their way when I have time.

Overall, I've probably written for two dozen or more publications. I tried to step away from the sport - and managed to for a year - but Jim Hammett pulled me back in with Panther-Lair!

I spent most of my career as a journalist at The Tribune-Democrat in Johnstown, and I still cover college stuff for them. Most weeks that's a Pitt-Johnstown preview and meet story if they're home and I can make it. I also try to write a weekly Knops Knotes column for that paper that looks at local products wrestling in college as well as Pitt and Penn State updates. I just finished a story on Sammy Sasso coming to that area for a clinic on Sunday.

I write for the Latrobe Bulletin now and then - stories on Micky last year, plus a Gabe Willochell update this year and Luke Willochell's commitment.

Plus, I spent about seven years with PA Power Wrestling and will kick something their way when I have time.

Overall, I've probably written for two dozen or more publications. I tried to step away from the sport - and managed to for a year - but Jim Hammett pulled me back in with Panther-Lair!

I’d be interesting in reading the articles. Not sure if you tweet them all out.

I like a mid week review. Some highlights from the previous match as well as a look ahead to next week.

Maybe add in updates on their ACC peers to see how we are trending with them?

I do love reading your stuff. We are lucky to have you on here.
Thanks, NA. I appreciate that.

We appreciate the fact you have taken time to provide your insight, knowledge and time which has certainly added to participation on this board.

a weekly catch all would be great, i look for articles constantly regarding wrestling. Also where do we donate to the team? i made a donation last year and want to get one over this year.
thanks Eric

a weekly catch all would be great, i look for articles constantly regarding wrestling. Also where do we donate to the team? i made a donation last year and want to get one over this year.
thanks Eric
You have 3 options for donations.
1. To Pitt Athletics designated to the Wrestling Championship Fund. Coach Gavin can use that where needed.
2. To the Pittsburgh Wrestling Club. Money is used to pay guys like Meech and Megaludis to work with our wrestlers.
3. To Alliance 412 designated to Wrestling. Used for NIL deals.

You have 3 options for donations.
1. To Pitt Athletics designated to the Wrestling Championship Fund. Coach Gavin can use that where needed.
2. To the Pittsburgh Wrestling Club. Money is used to pay guys like Meech and Megaludis to work with our wrestlers.
3. To Alliance 412 designated to Wrestling. Used for NIL deals.
Do they let you designate sports now? Initially they didn't, unless you make a big donation. Thanks for the info.

Do they let you designate sports now? Initially they didn't, unless you make a big donation. Thanks for the info.
I've done all three and did designate. Don't know if there's a minimum to designate.

I also want to gauge reactions from the readers. I'm pretty much limited to one article per week, so what is most valuable to you?

Would you rather see a preview story? (Special shoutout to WrestlingFan22 who has been doing a great job breaking down matchups. I know how time-consuming that can be, and frankly, if he's doing it, I'm more than happy to stay away from that angle)

A post-match story, similar to Ohio State? I feel like those are great if they get posted right away, but I get frustrated when don't get to share them until 24 hours later. Are folks still reading them at that point? (Probably yes to a win over Ohio State, but what about after a disappointing result? Is insight from Gavin and maybe a wrestler worth it since you probably aren't getting that many other places?)

A weekly kind of catch-all? That's what I've leaned into most of the time, as it can recap one match and look ahead to another, but I think it might lost in the shuffle if posted midweek.

I know that many of you would like to see recruiting news, but frankly, that's probably not realistic for me at this point. I work a full-time job plus write two to three stories per week for other publications, so tracking down recruits is pretty difficult. Plus, while I have great connections within the program, they don't always want to publicize who's being recruited, so it can be tough to get info on that side.

But I would love to know what's most useful to you, the dedicated Pitt wrestling fans.

To answer your question, I enjoy the post match articles the most. Definitely still reading even if they aren't up within 24 hours, but honestly, I'm devouring whatever you publish, whenever.

Even if I don't find it here, it normally pops up on Twitter.

I appreciate the feedback.

I'd love to have the time and ability to write three or four articles a week, but that's just not possible right now, so I want to deliver what Pitt, and specifically, Panther-Lair fans want the most.

Reactions: TJ-Pinzburgh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT