ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado to Big XII just got more real

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009
Both Pete Thamel and Ross Delighener (sp?) both tweeted a few minutes ago that a CU regent meeting to discuss moving to the Big XII just wrapped up, and there has been a Big XII regents meeting called for tomorrow to discuss expansion.

Either CU is telling the Pac 12 that they are done waiting for a deal, or they saw numbers and it's time to move on.

Yeah...seeing the big talking heads on Twitter making noise about this. Also Pete thamel stating they are looking at big east schools like uconn as well to make a really good basketball conference.

So the question is how does this affect pitt and the acc if any?

Is this finally happening? This has been speculated several times over the last 12 months. If so, the question becomes whether it’s the ‘Four Corner’ schools joining Colorado or whether it’s just one (potentially opening the door for UConn.

Is this finally happening? This has been speculated several times over the last 12 months. If so, the question becomes whether it’s the ‘Four Corner’ schools joining Colorado or whether it’s just one (potentially opening the door for UConn.

Yeah, may spur others to join

Yeah...seeing the big talking heads on Twitter making noise about this. Also Pete thamel stating they are looking at big east schools like uconn as well to make a really good basketball conference.

So the question is how does this affect pitt and the acc if any?

Doesn’t do anything for Pitt and the acc right now imo.

Man, if this does go through, the pac 12 royally fd up. It’s one thing to lose schools to the big 10 or sec. But not only will they probably lose cu, others may now follow, and their top expansion candidates now will have to pay 3 times what they would have needed to pay to leave the mwc

ACC should have been forming a west division this whole time. Oregon, Stanford, ASU, Baylor, Utah, Colorado, TCU, etc.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
ACC should have been forming a west division this whole time. Oregon, Stanford, ASU, Baylor, Utah, Colorado, TCU, etc.

Because as we all know, nothing will endear the conference to the schools like Clemson and Florida State like telling them they are going to get less money, but don't worry, you're also going to have worse travel to your games.

Because as we all know, nothing will endear the conference to the schools like Clemson and Florida State like telling them they are going to get less money, but don't worry, you're also going to have worse travel to your games.
No, a super conference with an east and west division. And this assumes both those schools and Miami will be in sec or big10. Basically the ACC needed to be conference three and have a west division of the best remaining PAC and Big12 schools to pair with the remaining ACC schools for an east division.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
No, a super conference with an east and west division. And this assumes both those schools and Miami will be in sec or big10. Basically the ACC needed to be conference three and have a west division of the best remaining PAC and Big12 schools to pair with the remaining ACC schools for an east division.
But none of those schools have left and may not for a decade or so.

At that point, some conference is going to be the best of the rest, and it will only be called the acc or big xii or pac 12 in name only, if not something completely new. Just hope Pitt is a part of it.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

So the schools in the east division aren't going to play any games against the schools in the west division? Well then what's the point?

So schools in the east division aren't going to pool television money with the schools in the west division? Well then what's the point?

Those schools aren't leaving the ACC for another decade. Why on earth should Pitt spend the next decade getting less money on the chance that a decade from now it might, but probably won't, get Pitt more money? Why would the schools like Clemson and Florida State and North Carolina and the others who think they might end up someplace better eventually agree to that now?

The only way that idea makes sense is if it makes the ACC schools more money now. Not maybe more money a decade or more from now. And it won't. Obviously, because if the PAC12 schools were worth that kind of money they'd have agreed to a new television deal months ago.

Reactions: ThePanthers
But that’s the question. We assume a decade. But if the mag7 bolt soon, then everyone is left scrambling. It could certainly ignite the fire that some see as inevitable. The ACC money is dictated and paid for by Clemson/FSU. But what is the value without those schools in the future versus taking a pay cut now but maybe being in better position long term to compete. Or locking up ND would help.

But that’s the question. We assume a decade. But if the mag7 bolt soon, then everyone is left scrambling. It could certainly ignite the fire that some see as inevitable. The ACC money is dictated and paid for by Clemson/FSU. But what is the value without those schools in the future versus taking a pay cut now but maybe being in better position long term to compete. Or locking up ND would help.

If those schools want to bolt soon and pay a decade's worth of exit fees, well, more power to them. We'd spend the next decade taking in as much (or maybe even more) money than the Big Ten and SEC schools, so we'd have plenty of time to figure it out.

ACC really hasn't done anything to procure its future. Big 12 may not have as much big-name (Clemson, FSU, etc.) appeal, but it's certainly more secure. They're the dude dating a 6 in a healthy marriage; we're the dude dating a 7.5 who has histrionic personality disorder and has been around the neighborhood more times than a Jehovah Witness.

Everybody knows our marriage has an expiration date, and I fear it's being used against us in recruiting. F keeping these cheerleaders happy. Let's go get us some pudgy chicks with glasses who make good chocolate chip cookies and keep the bathroom clean.

Reactions: moose121
It's more secure because there is no one left that anyone else wants.

I'm not sure why people keep citing that as a good thing.

It's because it's the difference between being with a bunch of middling-to-decent schools now versus being in a decent-to-kind-of-good conference now that's going to have to settle for schools like Temple and Tulane as soon as the GOR expires if it wants to continue. They should have went after schools like WVU and Cincinnati when they had some leverage.

But this is speaking from and ACC vitality standpoint, which I really don't care about... as long as Pitt ends up being okay.

Now what’s this:

Are they just sounding the panic alarm, or is there something happening here? Finally a Big Ten invite? Going to the Big 12 in a desperation move?

Might be bigger than that, though. If UConn is somehow their gateway to inviting other Big East schools, as @ratking17 suggested, I’m not sure whether that’d help or hurt in the event we’re looking for a life boat down the line.

My biggest paranoid concern is that the Big 12 forms a decent, secure conference. Maybe picks off Colorado, Utah, the Arizona schools... maybe even Washington and Oregon. Then when things hit the fan in the ACC, maybe Clemson, FSU, Miami, and Notre Dame get invites to the Super Two conferences... but Virginia Tech, UNC, Virginia, and NC State don't. However, the new iteration of the Big 12 - which is already quite large and has East and West divisions - decides to take those four schools and not Pitt.

I mean, that'd be a series of bad breaks, but not impossible ones. Big 12 is both more stable AND in a better geographical predicament to take in just about anyone that draws appeal.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
My biggest paranoid concern is that the Big 12 forms a decent, secure conference. Maybe picks off Colorado, Utah, the Arizona schools... maybe even Washington and Oregon. Then when things hit the fan in the ACC, maybe Clemson, FSU, Miami, and Notre Dame get invites to the Super Two conferences... but Virginia Tech, UNC, Virginia, and NC State don't. However, the new iteration of the Big 12 - which is already quite large and has East and West divisions - decides to take those four schools and not Pitt.

I mean, that'd be a series of bad breaks, but not impossible ones.

I get what you are saying, but I see no scenario where pitt would be left out of the big12 should the acc implode.

Reactions: pittmeister

I mean, that'd be a series of bad breaks, but not impossible ones.
Assuming Oregon and Washington do not yet have Big Ten invites, we need to invite them ASAP! They are going to be in a very desperate position. Time to secure the conference’s future and get the last two schools that would provide net value. Worry about the logistics later.

Assuming Oregon and Washington do not yet have Big Ten invites, we need to invite them ASAP! They are going to be in a very desperate position. Time to secure the conference’s future and get the last two schools that would provide net value. Worry about the logistics later.

I hear you. I just keep coming back to: What leverage do we have? Why would they join an east coast conference as opposed to hooking up with one that's going to start adding western teams? Clemson, FSU, Miami, and UNC would be the answer to that question... if it wasn't the worst-kept secret in athletics that they're all gone as soon as the shackles are off.

I mean, top to bottom the ACC isn't even better than the Big 12 right now. Once it loses its golden geese, forget about it.

I mean, that'd be a series of bad breaks, but not impossible ones. Big 12 is both more stable AND in a better geographical predicament to take in just about anyone that draws appeal.
The Big 12 is stable because no real conference wants their teams. Got it.

I hear you. I just keep coming back to: What leverage do we have? Why would they join an east coast conference as opposed to hooking up with one that's going to start adding western teams? Clemson, FSU, Miami, and UNC would be the answer to that question... if it wasn't the worst-kept secret in athletics that they're all gone as soon as the shackles are off.

I mean, top to bottom the ACC isn't even better than the Big 12 right now. Once it loses its golden geese, forget about it.
We would need to do two things:

- Convince Oregon/Washington that those four brands are better than anything they’d get in the Big 12. If we add those two, we solidify ourselves as a Power 3. If they join the Big 12, it’s still the B1G/SEC and the rest of us.
- Convince the four ACC schools mentioned that adding those two schools would help us close the gap with the “Power 2” when it comes time to renegotiate.

So mandel earlier today answered a question about the ACC and he says with espn cutting so much right now, the acc might not actually get a good tv deal right now and thus might be in an okay spot for the time being.

We would need to do two things:

- Convince Oregon/Washington that those four brands are better than anything they’d get in the Big 12. If we add those two, we solidify ourselves as a Power 3. If they join the Big 12, it’s still the B1G/SEC and the rest of us.
- Convince the four ACC schools mentioned that adding those two schools would help us close the gap with the “Power 2” when it comes time to renegotiate.

I'm just weary about the logistics of it. I still don't see why Oregon and Washington (and I think they'll both end up in the BIG anyway) wouldn't rather be in the B12, because no amount of convincing is keeping Clemson and the gang from $100M/year when the GOR expires, and every team knows that.

I've said this before, but I think our best path to the ACC staying as is might be Clemson and FSU starting to suck and lose appeal to the SEC and BIG, as opposed to becoming national powerhouses again. College football Freakonomics at its finest, I guess.

Reactions: cashisking884
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT