ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado to Big XII just got more real

We are bound by the same GOR and exit fees as every other ACC school. Even if we wanted to jump to the BIg XII, which at the time looked like it was on it's death bed (Pac 12 could have ironically killed it), we DEFINITELY don't have the pockets to leave.
That’s not what I was advocating for; I was referring to the previous conference realignment back in 2010. If we would’ve joined with Louisville in 2010 instead of the ACC (not the right move at the time), both us and and the Big 12 would be in a better situation right now.

If the Big XII gets AZ, ASU and Utah, then I don't agree with that.

I don't think we'll have "anchor schools" in the ACC in a few years either to entice anyone to jump.

But like everything, only time will tell.

They have BYU, they would be idiots to add Utah. There's 20 other programs I'd add if I was them before Utah.

The other thing to consider about the Big 12: I think their commissioner (Yormark?) has played his hand masterfully. Whether it’s inviting Arizona or UConn, and potentially adding other ACC brands down the line, it’s clear that his priorities are on basketball, not football. This is evident by the fact that he’s looked at poaching the northeast Big East basketball schools and even splitting up the football/basketball media contracts.

I think this is how he envisions their end game: eventually, the Big Ten and SEC are going to split off and do their own thing. However, what do you do with March Madness in that case? There’s a lot of money to be made from the tournament, and he’s guaranteed that his conference will be involved in the future of collegiate athletics no matter what because you can’t have a basketball tournament without Kansas, Arizona, UConn, etc. If they’re able to eventually get other brands like Louisville if/when the ACC collapses, it has the making of the strongest basketball conference while also being respectable enough at football.

Given what he had to work with, I think it’s a great strategy.
It looks like this was what Yormark was thinking. Big 12 considering going straight to 18 with basketball-only additions Gonzaga and UConn.

Basketball is UConn's brand. It's a rare program that had success with multiple head coaches. It doesn't make sense to shake things up and move out of the northeast.

Basketball is UConn's brand. It's a rare program that had success with multiple head coaches. It doesn't make sense to shake things up and move out of the northeast.

And while Big 12 Basketball is the best right now, will it ALWAYS be better than the Big East?

What happens when Dixon, Drew, and Sampson leave? Those are HOFish HC's at non-basketball powers. Arizona and KU are elite. But Colorado? ASU? Utah? UCF? Cincy? Why the eff would they fly to play those teams unless football comes with.

And while Big 12 Basketball is the best right now, will it ALWAYS be better than the Big East?

What happens when Dixon, Drew, and Sampson leave? Those are HOFish HC's at non-basketball powers. Arizona and KU are elite. But Colorado? ASU? Utah? UCF? Cincy? Why the eff would they fly to play those teams unless football comes with.
They shouldn't go even if football was invited.

As a WVU fan I can now say "The worm has turned"
Just 2 short years ago the nations sports writers were saying the Big 12 is dead and ESPN was trying to steer the remaining 8 into the AAC
Bowlsby brought in the best 4 G5's available
Brett Yormark replaced Bowlsby and now things look a whole lot different.
A conference commissioner who is forward thinking can make all the difference.
John Swofford better get it into gear before he becomes another George Kliavkoff

Reactions: Dan1911
As a WVU fan I can now say "The worm has turned"
Just 2 short years ago the nations sports writers were saying the Big 12 is dead and ESPN was trying to steer the remaining 8 into the AAC
Bowlsby brought in the best 4 G5's available
Brett Yormark replaced Bowlsby and now things look a whole lot different.
A conference commissioner who is forward thinking can make all the difference.
John Swofford better get it into gear before he becomes another George Kliavkoff

The Big 12 is dead.

You wouldn't rather be in the Big 12, right now, than in the ACC? I'd take my chances with that.

The Big 12 may well die at some point, but not today. FSU, though, has just put the ACC on life support.
I wouldn’t want to be in it right now, though. As long as FSU, Clemson, and the others are still here, the ACC is the third-best conference in America. Once that changes, then the time will come to make the move because we’ll likely have a spot waiting for us.

I wouldn’t want to be in it right now, though. As long as FSU, Clemson, and the others are still here, the ACC is the third-best conference in America. Once that changes, then the time will come to make the move because we’ll likely have a spot waiting for us.
I do think the Big 12 will not hesitate to make us a member. It's not my cultural cup of tea, but none of this stuff is, really.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I do think the Big 12 will not hesitate to make us a member. It's not my cultural cup of tea, but none of this stuff is, really.
With fewer conferences, the divisionless model becomes less practical, so these huge conferences will almost need to add enough teams to break down into regional divisions...almost like the conferences we used to have.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You wouldn't rather be in the Big 12, right now, than in the ACC? I'd take my chances with that.

The Big 12 may well die at some point, but not today. FSU, though, has just put the ACC on life support.

Sure.

I’d also rather be a person that has been given 2 years to live compared to the person that has been given 1 year to live.

But in the end both people have little future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT